Why was Hook never defeated?

James Marshall

I've been thinking about a problem with The Film Hook that has always bothered me. Here it is

Since they all hate Hook and his Pirates why did The Lost Boys, Indians, Fairies and Mermaids never work together to defeat Hook and his Pirates, after all I'm 100% certain that Peter was away from Neverland for at least 21 years, 9 months, 0 weeks and 6 days, which is more then enough time for a alliance to be assembled to defeat Hook and as far as I'm aware a alliance of The Lost Boys, Indians, Faeries and Mermaids could easily be able to assemble enough fighters for numbers alone to guarantee they defeat Hook and his Pirates

In case you are wondering how I am 100% certain that Peter was away from Neverland for at least 21 years, 9 months, 0 weeks and 6 days here's how I worked it out. During the final fight Hook says to Peter to A 10 year old I'm huge, which means he left Neverland when he was 10, in America you can't have Sex before you're 18 so that's at least another 8 years, even if his son was on conceived Peter's 18th birthday that's another 9 months, as his son appears to be in least his 2nd year at the school that in America you start at when you're 12 that's at least another 13 years, add in the day of his sons baseball game, the day of his daughters play, the 2 day flight back to The US from The UK, the 1 day their before Hook shows up and the day Hook shows up or a total of at least 21 years, 9 months, 0 weeks and 6 days

Edited by James Marshall

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

In some states the age of consent is 16 or 17.

That is true now, but the film came out in the early 90's and the type, nature and design of the architect, furnishings and decorations that we see suggest that it was set in the early to mid 70's and as far as I am aware during the early to mid 70's no county in America had a age of consent lower then 18

Edited by James Marshall

3 hours ago, Armchair General said:

It's a children's movie, the plot doesn't have to be sensible.

What is the point of bringing this up? Similar arguments have been made in attempts to stifle discussion and engagement with many movies, games and books... yet those discussions carry on. Why should it be any different here? Let people discuss whatever they want to discuss. Meaningless as it may be >_>

Also on topic, can't two teens of similar age have sex with each other even if they are below the age of consent?

24 minutes ago, Zanarkin said:

What is the point of bringing this up? Similar arguments have been made in attempts to stifle discussion and engagement with many movies, games and books... yet those discussions carry on. Why should it be any different here? Let people discuss whatever they want to discuss. Meaningless as it may be >_>

Also on topic, can't two teens of similar age have sex with each other even if they are below the age of consent?

Honestly, I think it's more of a leadership issue, if you want to go that way.

And technically, it's possible for two underaged teens to have some fun, but that doesn't necessarily means that it'll be a good idea.

5 hours ago, Armchair General said:

And technically, it's possible for two underaged teens to have some fun, but that doesn't necessarily means that it'll be a good idea.

It does however happen (and if I'm not wrong, teenage pregnancy was a lot more frequent in the past than it is today), so it isn't unlikely that the time OP says is wrong.

Edited by Zanarkin

On 12/30/2020 at 11:18 PM, James Marshall said:

I've been thinking about a problem with The Film Hook that has always bothered me. Here it is

Since they all hate Hook and his Pirates why did The Lost Boys, Indians, Fairies and Mermaids never work together to defeat Hook and his Pirates, after all I'm 100% certain that Peter was away from Neverland for at least 21 years, 9 months, 0 weeks and 6 days, which is more then enough time for a alliance to be assembled to defeat Hook and as far as I'm aware a alliance of The Lost Boys, Indians, Faeries and Mermaids could easily be able to assemble enough fighters for numbers alone to guarantee they defeat Hook and his Pirates

In case you are wondering how I am 100% certain that Peter was away from Neverland for at least 21 years, 9 months, 0 weeks and 6 days here's how I worked it out. During the final fight Hook says to Peter to A 10 year old I'm huge, which means he left Neverland when he was 10, in America you can't have Sex before you're 18 so that's at least another 8 years, even if his son was on conceived Peter's 18th birthday that's another 9 months, as his son appears to be in least his 2nd year at the school that in America you start at when you're 12 that's at least another 13 years, add in the day of his sons baseball game, the day of his daughters play, the 2 day flight back to The US from The UK, the 1 day their before Hook shows up and the day Hook shows up or a total of at least 21 years, 9 months, 0 weeks and 6 days

You know that's a legal impediment and not like a biological one, right? Like I expect Peter did have his kids later than that going by William's age alone, he was already 50 by the movie's release, but still, age of consent is not a solid argument at all. The movie does have undertones of a midlife crisis so I would stick him in at least his early forties based on that (which means thirty years away from Neverland). As for why no one ever beat Hook, well he did have a rather large army of his own and as the film soundly demonstrates, Rufio and the rest are a bunch of kids who don't know what they're doing.

Edited by Jotari