New Years Resolutions for Intelligent Systems & Nintendo

BriForABri

7 hours ago, Axie said:

i do wish IS decided to be a bit more daring with its storyline and characters again. fates, and apparently also 3H,was incredibly frustrating with how it desperately tries to make the player not feel bad for anything the main character does ever. you can always have your cake and eat it too. if you'reggoing to be ambitious and do route splits, give the player decisions to make, allow the player to feel like they are being kind of evil at some point. if you're not gonna commit to that, don't do that kind of route split, and at most do a ephraim/eirika shindig.

you mean, an FE story that punish its MC for making dumb decision, and possibly shit ending because the MC doing dumb decision?! COUNT ME IN!

despite going liberal with gameplay (train people however you want like in western RPG), giving option in dialogues, picking major sides, its always flower and rainbow ending in the end for both Fates and 3H, sigh...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, joevar said:

you mean, an FE story that punish its MC for making dumb decision, and possibly shit ending because the MC doing dumb decision?! COUNT ME IN!

this would also be great but it doesn't even need to go that far. just some "you know you sided with the evil guys, right? you are evil now. you know that, right?" is good. the way conquest absolves corrin and the nohrian royals of ANY moral shortcoming (and to be honest, garon as a villain is incredibly hollow because of revelation anyway) is preposterous. 

What do you mean "flower and rainbow"? Fates, yes 100%. Three Houses? I'm amongst with some of the people who disagree. Not when characters I love are dying in my playthrough, and especially not when the jury is still out with each of the routes and their ethics (and may never be resolved unlike Garon vs Mikoto), and especially not when the only consensus seems to be that maybe with a couple of exceptions, they're generally much less cartoonish than Iago, Hans, or even Validar. For me, I actually have to take a break for at least a week after 1-2 chapters, because of how heartwrenching it is to fight my former classmates.

I think one thing the majority of us can agree would be the relegation the majority of the fanservice over to FEH or optional DLC. For me, it shows how one doesn't need to show tons of skin like Camilla to be fanservice.

If there is one thing I'd like to see in the immediate future, I think it would be a DLC showing how each of the three countries move on from the big war in 1180-85. Particularly, the Crimson Flower route could do with extra chapters showing the downfall of the Slitherers. As for a new game, I'm not too fussed at this stage as 3H seemed to have done a number of things right in my book. I especially liked how Edelgard isn't shafted from the story, or at least shafted way less, compared to past female lords, and I also like how the more heroic Claude is both a minority and seem to act more chill than paragon. I also liked the idea of authority and batallions and adjutants, which I think adds to the realism in warfare.

And now that I think about it, I think it is something alongside with Leadership Stars and Tactician unit skills that could be added to a Binding Blade remake to finally translate Roy's strength into gameplay. Speaking of which, a fully revamped Binding Blade remake with the aformentioned gameplay features, and additional scripts and conversations is something I'd like to see.

18 hours ago, Gordin said:

The story isn't that bad Imo. We had stuff like it in 3 houses with child experimentation and literal genocide. And fe4's story is literally about how incest caused the 2nd coming of satan to appear. No glorifying incest in fe4. Y'all are just weak and can't read.

I thought that was the case too. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm doubtful it'll be censored all that much. If it is censored, then what's to say about Bayonetta? Would Zangeki on Reginleif even be released in the first place? Would Nintendo approve having a Switch port of LA Noire?

Edited by henrymidfields

2 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

What do you mean "flower and rainbow"? Fates, yes 100%. Three Houses? I'm amongst with some of the people who disagree.

i meant no matter whose ideal that byleth follows, it will always win with happy ending for said group of people who byleth choose. (suck to be you whose not get chosen by byleth this time! no matter how good and level headed Dimitri in CF is, he will die a dog's death not achieving substantial feat just because its not his route. if only Edelgard in CF and dimitri in the end of AM could meet ) yes, this is just sarcasm and hyperbole comment in case you missed it

well, at least you agree on fates.

Edited by joevar

3 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

I thought that was the case too. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm doubtful it'll be censored all that much. If it is censored, then what's to say about Bayonetta? Would Zangeki on Reginleif even be released in the first place? Would Nintendo approve having a Switch port of LA Noire?

There actually already is an LA Noire switch port, not to mention Manhunt 2 has a wii port.

Edited by Samz707

I want the next game to be wildly different from Three Houses, not because i dislike Three Houses, it has stuff i have issues with but it's overall a good addition to the franchise in my book, rather, i want something wildly different just because i prefer when Fire Emblem is switching stuff up and not building on the same formulas over and over again. It helps keep things exciting i feel, so rather than "Three Houses but better", i want the next game to go on a very different direction.

For what would be something wildly different from Three Houses in the first place, i guess i have two answers: One would be a game that goes for a streamlined polished experience, with Three Houses being a game that tries to be very ambitious and grand in scale, this game being something tighter and smaller, something along the lines of:

• Lord that is weak at combat, and, if useful, contributes in more indirect ways instead of in combat;
  • Low caps across the board, and preferably low growths too but most importantly low caps;
  • Fewer classes and skills, and the skills that are kept in being easier to keep track off;
  • Less focus on customization, if reclassing it limited in scope;
  • Simple conflict, i would like to see a Fire Emblem game where the nations that are in conflict are battling, but are not fully commited to it, they send small units and platoons against each other but every party is still uneasy about letting things break into a full-blown war;

The other answer would be a game that structures itself very differently from FE's normal structure, something like how different FE4's and FE2/FE15's campaigns feel from other games' campaigns. One idea i don't think is guaranteed to be good but i believe would be ineteresting to see would be a game with a warring states setup for its story with non-linear progression, where the player has a whole map of different nations and, while they can't make giant choices that affect the greater picture of a narrative, they can make smaller choices with smaller effects on how to proceed, creating a campaign that always starts at a Point A and ends at Point B, but where what stands between the two are many different possible roads.

On 1/3/2021 at 3:53 AM, Samz707 said:

There actually already is an LA Noire switch port, not to mention Manhunt 2 has a wii port.

Sorry, what I meant to say is "If Nintendo is still censorship-happy as it once was, then LA Noire would not have a Switch port." A rhetorical question.

On 1/3/2021 at 3:10 AM, joevar said:

i meant no matter whose ideal that byleth follows, it will always win with happy ending for said group of people who byleth choose. (suck to be you whose not get chosen by byleth this time! no matter how good and level headed Dimitri in CF is, he will die a dog's death not achieving substantial feat just because its not his route. if only Edelgard in CF and dimitri in the end of AM could meet ) yes, this is just sarcasm and hyperbole comment in case you missed it

well, at least you agree on fates.

That's admittedly true. Still doesn't make it easier for me to choose one route over another unlike Fates Conquest vs Birthright vs Revelations. Not to mention I think 3H is the first FE game to completely lack a Golden Ending option... I kinda tend to think that this whole Edelgard vs Rhea debate on this forum is more like a history debate with the expected controversies, with some dose of alternate history. Actually, the whole branching storyline is pretty much an excercise of AlternateHistoryHub for me...

What rpg/choice-heavy games did you play previously? Did they have a clear evil/friend-alienating campaign or something like say Shin Megami Tensei?

Edited by henrymidfields

15 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

What rpg/choice-heavy games did you play previously? Did they have a clear evil/friend-alienating campaign or something like say Shin Megami Tensei?

some Bioware (dragon age, mass effect) RPG games before many senior member left, and some Obsidian Entertainment (fallout new vegas, pillar of eternity, tyranny) game, and some other DnD that i dont remember becaue didnt finish it
did they have clear evil route? yes they did (in case you never play any of their game), altho not all, and some didnt quite work iirc

15 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Not to mention I think 3H is the first FE game to completely lack a Golden Ending option

i always thought that Claude route will be the "that". since people praise his character as the most-something (insert praise in characteristic), so neither edelgard nor dimitri side need to be wiped completely if Claude as competent as that praises

Edited by joevar

On 1/2/2021 at 9:03 AM, henrymidfields said:

On 1/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, Gordin said:

The story isn't that bad Imo. We had stuff like it in 3 houses with child experimentation and literal genocide. And fe4's story is literally about how incest caused the 2nd coming of satan to appear. No glorifying incest in fe4. Y'all are just weak and can't read.

Violence and sexual content that is considered "deviant" are not treated remotely the same in America. America has always been fine with gratuitous violence with no one batting an eye. Look at violent works that are hugely popular in America like Dragonball Z, Scarface, and Call of Duty.

Now try to think of widely popular films, games, shows, etc in America that prominently features incest. It's way harder because that stuff doesn't really fly here. Japan just has a less reactionary culture around that stuff. I'm not speaking my personal preference. I adore FE4, I think it's the best narrative of all FE games. I wish they would remake it. But it's not an accident that Nintendo put it on the e-store in Japan and didn't mention it here while they went out of their way to localize FE1 for the US despite us just getting a remake a few years ago that didn't even sell that great. They don't want to deal with the firestorm FE4 would lead to here.

Only way I see it happening is if it's not on the nintendo store and is some small physical release. But that's not been Nintendo's style recently.

Edited by Aethelstan

On 12/31/2020 at 3:11 PM, Glennstavos said:

2D only. I don't want to see a single 3D model or even have 3D battle animations. Return to the glory days of sprite animation. Have dialogue where two character portraits speak to each other over beautifully drawn backdrops.

You know its a lot harder to sell a 2D game to a general audience right? 3D is what the majority of the audience likes and prefers. Its a lot easier to portray character animation and expression through 3D animation than it is for sprite work, Not to mention the majority of people prefer 3D to 2D, hence why AAA studios and movie companies have completely abandoned traditionally animated films altogether. Look at Walt Disney Animation Studios, they tried to bring back 2D animation with Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh, only for those films to not to make enough money, hence why the Walt Disney Company forbid the the Animation Studios from ever doing a 2D film since. 

Speaking of Animation, why don't we try to get improve the visual quality next time? Maybe get help from Next Level Games, look at Luigi's Mansion 3. If were going to have multiple routes, let's try to make the majority of the maps different. That's my only real problem with 3 Houses. Too many maps are reused, SS and VW are criticized, but even AM and VW two maps are different between part 1 and part 2. 

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

You know its a lot harder to sell a 2D game to a general audience right? 3D is what the majority of the audience likes and prefers. Its a lot easier to portray character animation and expression through 3D animation than it is for sprite work, Not to mention the majority of people prefer 3D to 2D, hence why AAA studios and movie companies have completely abandoned traditionally animated films altogether. Look at Walt Disney Animation Studios, they tried to bring back 2D animation with Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh, only for those films to not to make enough money, hence why the Walt Disney Company forbid the the Animation Studios from ever doing a 2D film since. 

There are soooo many factors to consider before making a general statement like that. And if there is a test case that relates well to Fire Emblem, it's certainly not Princess and the Frog. Fighting games believed that 3D visuals were a necessity in the late 2000s and early 2010s, and yet now the hottest new fighters are 2D. More established franchises have at best achieved modest successes in the last decade by sticking to 3D. The only bottom line is that people want a game that looks good. Maybe more specifically something they haven't seen before, or something that makes them feel nostalgic. Modern fire emblem fans have not seen the spritework characteristic of the previous generations of Fire Emblem. It's a great time to revive that style for new fans while catching the attention of older ones.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

There are soooo many factors to consider before making a general statement like that. And if there is a test case that relates well to Fire Emblem, it's certainly not Princess and the Frog. Fighting games believed that 3D visuals were a necessity in the late 2000s and early 2010s, and yet now the hottest new fighters are 2D. More established franchises have at best achieved modest successes in the last decade by sticking to 3D. The only bottom line is that people want a game that looks good. Maybe more specifically something they haven't seen before, or something that makes them feel nostalgic. Modern fire emblem fans have not seen the spritework characteristic of the previous generations of Fire Emblem. It's a great time to revive that style for new fans while catching the attention of older ones.

I disagree. If you were to have a 2D version and 3D version of Three Houses available and had the whole world vote on which version they would prefer, it would probably be 3D. Most games that feature sprite work are usually the work of indie studios. Its just not acceptable for a AAA company to go back to 2D  after doing 3D and seeing how visually more sharp the game looks on average. What are you talking about "modest" success for most franchises using 3D? The majority of Nintendo franchises: Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, Animal Crossing,  Xenoblade Chronicles,  have had their biggest and best launches like Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Star Allies, and XC 2 and of all of these were 3D. Even for franchises that aren't Nintendo, like Persona and Persona 5, Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 3, and Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy 7 Remake were all either 3D completely or 3D with some 2D cutscenes in the case of Persona 5. In the case of Nintendo, only Mario Maker 2 has actually 2D sprites, and there is a 3D mode in addition to the 2D modes. 

Going back to Fire Emblem, the game has featured 3D models since 2005's Path of Radiance. You really think after more than a decade of using 3D models in some capacity, a full return to GBA style spritework is going to appeal to the majority of fans and newcomers now? A GBA style in the vein of Sacred Stones does not look as good on a home console for a game that would be released in 2021 or later. It simply would feel outdated for the majority of fans and the majority of newcomers probably wouldn't want to play with an outdated style since they no the Switch is capable of much more. 

32 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

I disagree. If you were to have a 2D version and 3D version of Three Houses available and had the whole world vote on which version they would prefer, it would probably be 3D.

How can you presume to know that? And anyway, 3D was the right call for Three Houses since it's the first Fire Emblem in high definition. The developers have actually stated how much they cared about having presentable graphics on a home console, and yet Three Houses was met with considerable criticisms for its graphics, both before and after launch. Now, in a post-Three Houses world, there's no pressure to make a high fidelity game, they can do whatever they want for whatever reason they want.

Most games that feature sprite work are usually the work of indie studios. Its just not acceptable for a AAA company to go back to 2D  after doing 3D and seeing how visually more sharp the game looks on average.

I don't...consider Fire Emblem Triple A. I can't really propose a reason for why this made up term (Triple A games) doesn't apply to Fire Emblem, but I just think it's not on the same level as Nintendo's other, less frequent, in-house offerings like Mario and Zelda. Hell, Pokemon, a fantastically successful franchise that's worked on by like a hundred guys, while your typical Triple A games have closer to a thousand, I dunno. But I definitely don't think every nintendo franchise counts as triple A, just by virtue of association to Nintendo. Or else, Fire Emblem Echoes, and Fire Emblem Heroes should be considered Triple A.

What are you talking about "modest" success for most franchises using 3D?

I made it pretty clear I was talking about fighting games. Since a survey of all video games would have been ridiculous. There's just too many examples to clamp down on any trend, when tastes vary so wildly between genres. The hugest fighting game success of the last two or three years was Dragon Ball FighterZ, was a 2D game. 

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Hell, Pokemon, a fantastically successful franchise that's worked on by like a hundred guys, while your typical Triple A games have closer to a thousand, I dunno.

Bad example, a few critics of Pokemon would say that Game Freak is understaffed, and or having a need to up their technical competency (considering Monolith makes rather good looking 3D games despite being of a similar size).

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I made it pretty clear I was talking about fighting games. Since a survey of all video games would have been ridiculous. There's just too many examples to clamp down on any trend, when tastes vary so wildly between genres. The hugest fighting game success of the last two or three years was Dragon Ball FighterZ, was a 2D game. 

if we strictly limiting it to Fighting genre, 2D model still going strong. the best i can think of is Guilty Gear actually, way smoother and refined than dragonball

i dunno if triple A criteria been set, but i do know budget always been in the criteria for that in every argument, be it from gamer, journos, or just non gamer. And dunno why or how, but i've read somewhere that Japanese game (especially that leans toward anime-ish animation)  have lower than 50 million USD, even in well known franchise like Tales of series. while american mainstream games can go as much as 100 million USD (think of CoD, battlefield, and big RPG like dragon age).
in short, yea FE not a triple A, at least not in budget sense

but i think Xenoblade fit into AAA. so its not like Nintendo dont have triple A, but we'll never know how much budget and people actually working on it. Japanese devs more tight lipped than western dev afterall

Edited by joevar

7 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

How can you presume to know that? And anyway, 3D was the right call for Three Houses since it's the first Fire Emblem in high definition. The developers have actually stated how much they cared about having presentable graphics on a home console, and yet Three Houses was met with considerable criticisms for its graphics, both before and after launch. Now, in a post-Three Houses world, there's no pressure to make a high fidelity game, they can do whatever they want for whatever reason they want.

I don't...consider Fire Emblem Triple A. I can't really propose a reason for why this made up term (Triple A games) doesn't apply to Fire Emblem, but I just think it's not on the same level as Nintendo's other, less frequent, in-house offerings like Mario and Zelda. Hell, Pokemon, a fantastically successful franchise that's worked on by like a hundred guys, while your typical Triple A games have closer to a thousand, I dunno. But I definitely don't think every nintendo franchise counts as triple A, just by virtue of association to Nintendo. Or else, Fire Emblem Echoes, and Fire Emblem Heroes should be considered Triple A.

Yes, they have stated they were concerned about the graphics, and Three Houses could definitely improve on it. But going back to an arguably outdated style of 2D pixels is not the way forward to appeal for the majority of their audience. They could technically could go back to 2D, but it’s a more of a question of should they. 

The reason I bring up Disney is because it is a notorious example of how trying to use the less popular medium did not work out. Generally speaking, Film and video game animation overlap a lot. Lot of software can be used for both mediums. Both areas have Maya for 3D animation, and some films have unity as well. I have a  friend who is a freelance animator who has done 3D work for Disney and Blizzard using Maya software. 

8 minutes ago, joevar said:

if we strictly limiting it to Fighting genre, 2D model still going strong. the best i can think of is Guilty Gear actually, way smoother and refined than dragonball

i dunno if triple A criteria been set, but i do know budget always been in the criteria for that in every argument, be it from gamer, journos, or just non gamer. And dunno why or how, but i've read somewhere that Japanese game (especially that leans toward anime-ish animation)  have lower than 50 million USD, even in well known franchise like Tales of series. while american mainstream games can go as much as 100 million USD (think of CoD, battlefield, and big RPG like dragon age).
in short, yea FE not a triple A, at least not in budget sense

When I meant by Triple A, I mean Nintendo has been promoting Fire Emblem much more on the levels of Mario, Zelda, and Kirby, or at the very least, it’s the same price as them. 

12 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

When I meant by Triple A, I mean Nintendo has been promoting Fire Emblem much more on the levels of Mario, Zelda, and Kirby, or at the very least, it’s the same price as them. 

fair point, triple A should be the pride of a big publisher afterall. so if they proudly announce and advertise it, might as well treat it as triple A title from them.

but what was the original argument again? 3D over 2D right? i would love it if they up the 3D graphic more since its becoming more and more of triple A in many aspect, but i just dont trust nintendo or specifically switch to handle that. so a mix between 2D and 3D is what i prefer in FE. unless they find the magic fine line between crispy graphic and performance like in xenoblade (imagine the workload to create so many maps with that amount of quality for each skirmish)

Edited by joevar

1 minute ago, joevar said:

fair point, triple A should be the pride of a big publisher afterall. so if they proudly announce and advertise it, might as well treat it as triple A title from them.

but what was the original argument again? 3D over 2D right? i would love it if they up the 3D graphic more since its becoming more and more of triple A in many aspect, but i just dont trust nintendo or specifically switch to handle that. so a mix between 2D and 3D is what i prefer in FE. unless they find the magic fine line between crispy graphic and performance like in xenoblade (imagine the workload to create so many maps with that amount of quality for each skirmish)

They already had a combination of 2D and 3D in the 3DS games. When on the battle field, it would feature 2D sprites, but when going into battle, it would switch to 3D. Three Houses also had 2D menu sprites of all the classes.

20 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Kirby definitely isn't triple A in that case. Price points are all over the place. The three kirby games released for Switch were 20 dollars, free to play, and 60. And generations before that, the series was famously trapped on handhelds.

34 minutes ago, joevar said:

I wanted to mention Guilty Gear alongside Dragon Ball, if only because it's a more recent example, but my mind still associates the franchise as so niche that you can't expect people to know what you're talking about like you can with the dragon ball game that trounced Marvel Infinite in the year that both came out. And unlike dragon ball fighting games, Guilty gear wasn't a series known for 3D animation before pivoting to sprites and finding real success. 

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

The three kirby games released for Switch were 20 dollars, free to play, and 60. And generations before that, the series was famously trapped on handhelds.

Pretty sure I got Star Allies for 60$.

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

They already had a combination of 2D and 3D in the 3DS games. When on the battle field, it would feature 2D sprites, but when going into battle, it would switch to 3D. Three Houses also had 2D menu sprites of all the classes.

yes, yes i know, i played them too. no need to explain that. XD

but i dont want FE to go "real 3D" or graphic just yet (highly detailed maybe, but still look like a 2D on top of 3D , maybe like Valkyria chronicle?) . since that would make FE trade blows with more full on strategy like total war or any strategy in PC, and not standing in its own niche

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

but my mind still associates the franchise as so niche that you can't expect people to know what you're talking about like you can with the dragon ball game that trounced Marvel Infinite in the year that both came out. And unlike dragon ball fighting games, Guilty gear wasn't a series known for 3D animation before pivoting to sprites and finding real success. 

if theres no FE:3house, i would argue that FE (still) a niche franchise too.

Edited by joevar

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Pretty sure I got Star Allies for 60$.

Yes, that is the game I was talking about.

2 minutes ago, joevar said:

if theres no FE:3house, i would argue that FE (still) a niche franchise too.

That's what I think. If you asked me what the "triple A" nintendo franchises are, I'd say it's 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, and Smash. Maybe Pokemon, but Pokemon's development is so unlike anything else in the industry that you can't plant any kind of label on it.

If they made a fully 2D Fire Emblem game, I struggle to imagine somebody assuming the game has lesser quality because of it. Maybe back in 2001, but not 2021. Gamers are way more interested in curated art styles than they are on photorealistic graphics. All I've been saying is that I think they should consider it, even for just one entry. Because they needed to outsource help just to make the 3D visuals in Three Houses. A lot of IS' staff are proven to be good with the 2D stuff, and they can focus more resources on making good gameplay to go with it, or at least release the game without several major delays over unforeseen complications. Waiting for Three Houses was absolute hell, probably because of the 3D elements more than anything else that was put into the game. 

20 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Yes, that is the game I was talking about.

That's what I think. If you asked me what the "triple A" nintendo franchises are, I'd say it's 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, and Smash. Maybe Pokemon, but Pokemon's development is so unlike anything else in the industry that you can't plant any kind of label on it.

If they made a fully 2D Fire Emblem game, I struggle to imagine somebody assuming the game has lesser quality because of it. Maybe back in 2001, but not 2021. Gamers are way more interested in curated art styles than they are on photorealistic graphics. All I've been saying is that I think they should consider it, even for just one entry. Because they needed to outsource help just to make the 3D visuals in Three Houses. A lot of IS' staff are proven to be good with the 2D stuff, and they can focus more resources on making good gameplay to go with it, or at least release the game without several major delays over unforeseen complications. Waiting for Three Houses was absolute hell, probably because of the 3D elements more than anything else that was put into the game. 

But here’s the thing: people will be turned off because of Graphics. To some people, graphics are a lot and for a Switch game to look like GBA game is not acceptable for a triple A console game in 2021 or later. Even if the gameplay is good, there’s probably a very good amount of people who would not give the game a go compared those who’d give it a try because it was a 3D. And where did you get the idea that gamers are interested in ‘curated’ artsyles? If anything, I call 3D games more sophisticated than 2D games generally speaking. Look at Mario Odyssey vs Mario Bros. You can’t tell me that Super Mario is a million times more complex and beautiful than the original Mario Bros.

Let me try to put it in simpler terms for you: Appearences are important, and it’s a lot easier to sell a 3D game to a new audience than it is for a 2D game. 

Edited by ZeManaphy

16 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

If anything, I call 3D games more sophisticated than 2D games generally speaking. Look at Mario Odyssey vs Mario Bros. You can’t tell me that Super Mario is a million times more complex and beautiful than the original Mario Bros.

🤨

Pick a better example that doesn't smell like fresh hay. Shall I introduce you to the hand-drawn magnificence of one of my niche liked games Odin Sphere?:

odin-sphere-leifthrasir-ps4-2.jpg

2D games have progressed well beyond 8-bit and you should know better. FE going back to 2D does not mean going back to FE1, nor 3, nor 5, nor 8. It means modern, gorgeous, delicately sketched and painted 2D in some form, ideally. But, FE's 3D has never been ideal, so no point in calling new 2D an abject failure if it isn't perfect. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer