New Years Resolutions for Intelligent Systems & Nintendo

BriForABri

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

🤨

Pick a better example that doesn't smell like fresh hay. Shall I introduce you to the hand-drawn magnificence of one of my niche liked games Odin Sphere?:

odin-sphere-leifthrasir-ps4-2.jpg

2D games have progressed well beyond 8-bit and you should know better. FE going back to 2D does not mean going back to FE1, nor 3, nor 5, nor 8. It means modern, gorgeous, delicately sketched and painted 2D in some form, ideally. But, FE's 3D has never been ideal, so no point in calling new 2D an abject failure if it isn't perfect. 

I’m not saying that 2D is a bad art style. I’m simply saying from a marketing and sales perspective for a triple A company that a 2D game is a harder to produce and sell simply because the majority of the audience prefers the visuals of a 3D game compared to a 2D. Looking back at Disney, the box office of their 3D films vs their 2D films. Notice a big disparity between Frozen and Princess and the Frog?  There is a huge box office difference. That difference is why 2D animation is basically dead for Disney as of right now. They tried to make Tangled a 2D animated film, but it had to be switched 3D when the Walt Disney company refused to approve the project because unless it was 3D. 

Going back to Fire Emblem, it’s probably safe to say that it would be done in a sprite style. All there 2D games have been in sprites, and even the 3DS games and Three Houses also features sprites. I see no reason to suspect that they would go for another style of 2D animation other than pixel art as of now. And I disagree saying their 3D has never been good. Yes, it’s far from perfect, but the 3DS had some beautiful gorgeous cutscenes for Awakening and Fates, I kind of wish they had done the same for Echoes and Three Houses. Look at Azura suffering from the Vallite Curse in Birthright. You can really feel the pain she goes through when she starts to disappear, as well as the shame when she is on the ground and tries to stop Corrin’s concern by showing her hand. That being said, despite being visually poor, Three Houses has made strides forward. The developers have said that gambits were visually impossible on the 3DS, and the support conversations were fully animated and had separate backgrounds, in comparison to older titles which were on a static screen with just some portraits. I’d love for them to improve on this rather than going back to pixel art.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Notice a big disparity between Frozen and Princess and the Frog?  There is a huge box office difference. That difference is why 2D animation is basically dead for Disney as of right now. They tried to make Tangled a 2D animated film, but it had to be switched 3D when the Walt Disney company refused to approve the project because unless it was 3D. 

I don't claim to know the details of this, but I thought I heard someone say Disney intentionally scuppered The Princess and the Frog because they didn't want to do 2D anymore. Everything. Must. Be. 3D! It wouldn't surprise me if we were looking at Disidious, considering their obsession with live-action everything now to milk and rehash their old vault again for no reason except money; classic movies, unlike classic games, do not benefit from remakes in the same way.

17 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Going back to Fire Emblem, it’s probably safe to say that it would be done in a sprite style. All there 2D games have been in sprites, and even the 3DS games and Three Houses also features sprites. I see no reason to suspect that they would go for another style of 2D animation other than pixel art as of now. And I disagree saying their 3D has never been good. Yes, it’s far from perfect, but the 3DS had some beautiful gorgeous cutscenes for Awakening and Fates, I kind of wish they had done the same for Echoes and Three Houses. Look at Azura suffering from the Vallite Curse in Birthright. You can really feel the pain she goes through when she starts to disappear, as well as the shame when she is on the ground and tries to stop Corrin’s concern by showing her hand. That being said, despite being visually poor, Three Houses has made strides forward. The developers have said that gambits were visually impossible on the 3DS, and the support conversations were fully animated and had separate backgrounds, in comparison to older titles which were on a static screen with just some portraits. I’d love for them to improve on this rather than going back to pixel art.

I won't deny IS could become more skilled with its use of 3D.

Though, I will say I don't like a bunch of Awakening's cutscenes because of the Robin-induced first-person perspective. I skipped on Fates's cutscenes altogether, because I don't want to have any impression whatsoever of Fates's plot. It's old RD 3-3 River Crossing that cuts the mustard for me on FE 3D cutscenes, and thats more an exception than a rule. I am fond of RD's battle animations, so yes, there is a bone of liking 3D in me.

I don't think supports need 3D settings to pop, good text with 2D works perfectly fine. It has worked great before. -But here I'm being a tech curmudgeon, might as well say smartphones are unnecessary because a laptop + old-fashioned flip phone ain't heavy and do the job just fine.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't claim to know the details of this, but I thought I heard someone say Disney intentionally scuppered The Princess and the Frog because they didn't want to do 2D anymore. Everything. Must. Be. 3D! It wouldn't surprise me if we were looking at Disidious, considering their obsession with live-action everything now to milk and rehash their old vault again for no reason except money; classic movies, unlike classic games, do not benefit from remakes in the same way.

I won't deny IS could become more skilled with its use of 3D.

Though, I will say I don't like a bunch of Awakening's cutscenes because of the Robin-induced first-person perspective. I skipped on Fates's cutscenes altogether, because I don't want to have any impression whatsoever of Fates's plot. It's old RD 3-3 River Crossing that cuts the mustard for me on FE 3D cutscenes, and thats more an exception than a rule. I am fond of RD's battle animations, so yes, there is a bone of liking 3D in me.

I don't think supports need 3D settings to pop, good text with 2D works perfectly fine. It has worked great before. -But here I'm being a tech curmudgeon, might as well say smartphones are unnecessary because a laptop + old-fashioned flip phone ain't heavy and do the job just fine.

Disney did blame some of Princess and the Frog’s failure on the marketing, as the title “ Princess” discouraged men from going to see the film since they thought it was for young girls only, which surveys sent out prove. Don’t see know about “intentional” though. John Lassetter said that he wanted bring back 2D animation but was shocked and disappointed to learn that the film was not a high success and the fact the audience called it “old fashioned”, which goes back to how the general audience prefers 3D over 2D animation. It was also why Tangled was changed to Tangled instead of Rapunzel.

Kind of a shame you skipped on Fates cutscenes. It has some of my favorite art direction for any video game, and I personally love Kozaki’s work.

Edited by ZeManaphy

On 1/6/2021 at 7:03 AM, Aethelstan said:

Violence and sexual content that is considered "deviant" are not treated remotely the same in America. America has always been fine with gratuitous violence with no one batting an eye. Look at violent works that are hugely popular in America like Dragonball Z, Scarface, and Call of Duty.

Now try to think of widely popular films, games, shows, etc in America that prominently features incest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest_in_film_and_television

Umm, Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Rocky Horror Picture Show? Psycho? They're maybe not "widely popular", but they're at least well known/distinguished movies. Or even Book 4 of Star Wars or Back To The Future as an borderline example?? Incest as part of the story isn't as rare as you think.

Edited by henrymidfields

fire emblem fates literally happened in the west lol. it bends itself into a pretzel to say "but they are not blood related so it's fine i sweeeeeear", but come on. it's not blood that matters when it comes to actual lived brotherhood, and fates still very much suggests someone raised as your actual sister wants to fuck the shit out of you. regardless of your gender even. elise and even xander also cross the line of "this is a comfortable sibling relationship" regularly in the main script. leo is the only normal one in this regard among the nohrians. the hoshidans get a pass without counting supports, but with supports all 8 end up crossing this line anyway. fates really shouldn't have had the avatar be their sibling for this kind of divide to not be so squicky.

anyway, back on topic, if fates happened then people can deal with genealogy just fine. the only intentional (by a character, i mean) incest in it is lachesis's failed attempt anyway, and she is nothing compared to camilla. the lachesis/eldigan thing was even sort of repeated with priscilla/raven (with added "raven and lucius are gay for each other so no luck priscilla"!), which we got in the west, and was also fine.

Edited by Axie

On 1/13/2021 at 1:03 AM, Axie said:

fire emblem fates literally happened in the west lol. it bends itself into a pretzel to say "but they are not blood related so it's fine i sweeeeeear", but come on. it's not blood that matters when it comes to actual lived brotherhood, and fates still very much suggests someone raised as your actual sister wants to fuck the shit out of you. regardless of your gender even. elise and even xander also cross the line of "this is a comfortable sibling relationship" regularly in the main script. leo is the only normal one in this regard among the nohrians. the hoshidans get a pass without counting supports, but with supports all 8 end up crossing this line anyway. fates really shouldn't have had the avatar be their sibling for this kind of divide to not be so squicky.

anyway, back on topic, if fates happened then people can deal with genealogy just fine. the only intentional (by a character, i mean) incest in it is lachesis's failed attempt anyway, and she is nothing compared to camilla. the lachesis/eldigan thing was even sort of repeated with priscilla/raven (with added "raven and lucius are gay for each other so no luck priscilla"!), which we got in the west, and was also fine.

Oh shit, thanks for reminding me about Fates. And you're right, if Nintendo managed to get away with Fates's incest (which is stupid even for fanservice), the really, there's no reason anymore to worry about Genealogy (which at least is there for good storywriting purposes as opposed to fanservice).

16 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Oh shit, thanks for reminding me about Fates. And you're right, if Nintendo managed to get away with Fates's incest (which is stupid even for fanservice), the really, there's no reason anymore to worry about Genealogy (which at least is there for good storywriting purposes as opposed to fanservice).

Who knows, maybe they'll embrace the "War is hell" Vibe Thracia has and maybe we'll get the first FE game with actual blood during combat.

As someone who is interested (even if I won't play them for a good while ) I really hope they at least don't tone down the "War is hell" stuff since that's a natural fit for FE. (Since perma-death.)

11 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Who knows, maybe they'll embrace the "War is hell" Vibe Thracia has and maybe we'll get the first FE game with actual blood during combat.

As someone who is interested (even if I won't play them for a good while ) I really hope they at least don't tone down the "War is hell" stuff since that's a natural fit for FE. (Since perma-death.)

FE with gritty, dark, ripe with gore and fully mature story?

as an FE fans who play it first time as a little kid, and now an adult, im certainly wants to see that kind of FE game.
but i highly doubt it can please the biggest possible amount of people, which im sure what nintendo wants from IS

Edited by joevar

4 hours ago, joevar said:

FE with gritty, dark, ripe with gore and fully mature story?

as an FE fans who play it first time as a little kid, and now an adult, im certainly wants to see that kind of FE game.
but i highly doubt it can please the biggest possible amount of people, which im sure what nintendo wants from IS

I mean I doubt they'd go full gore but maybe having some blood for a war is hell story during gameplay instead of just during certain cutscenes seems reasonable enough to me.