Gaming Resolutions for 2021: Results Show!

I'm surprised I didn't put "come 1st in a custom robo community tournament" as my gaming resolution.

I've pretty set to pass the old #2 and #3 in the power rankings at the end of the year, but 2 of the new players have crept up on me so I still won't move from my #4 spot unless something good happens for me in the last 3 tournaments.

Just so many  close but "got 2nd place / final four" failures this year. I'm still half convinced that Zach freely loses tournament finals using fun-builds when non top 5 players get to him etc, but when ever its me he takes the ultra meta stuff out. Game is also in turbulent state with the community getting its first taste of a community balance patch. I wanted my charather to be nerfed for the good of the game but on tournament days I still feels bad since Aerial Beauty tournament results were like empty since late 2018 and strike vanisher is allowed to run amok due to some sick "oh its perfect / going to be baseline" menality despite getting ovcrcentralized to the point of over half the top 10 players using it

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally finished World of Light in Smash Bros. Ultimate. That's one game finished that is actually on the list of games I wanted to finish.

At this point, I just need to finish Three Houses and I'll have finished all the games on that list that I actually still want to finish: I'm not going to finish The Witcher 3; I can see why people like it, but I'm just not a fan of certain aspects of the gameplay, nor am I probably going to finish Ys 8 since I've read the ending and it stinks, and I can't finish FF7 Remake right now since my PS4 isn't plugged in.

Well, it's the last day of 2021, at least where I am. So, no time like the present to review - how successful was I in meeting my resolutions? I'm going to use a color-coding system, with commentary as necessary:

On 1/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

1. I completed Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, as my last game of 2020. And yes, it was long overdue. So, I've already bought it, but I'd like to play through Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice. I'm a longtime fan of the series, and it'll be nice to be "up-to-date", as English releases go.

So, I literally finished this game within the last hour. That's a part of why I've waited so long to assess my progress. Overall, I was satisfied with the story they put out there, and really impressed with the twists and turns in the final case. That said, there were some very frustrating gameplay moments, especially within the "seance system". Now, however, I can say I've played all mainline Ace Attorney games, and I can move onto The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles with no reservations.

2. Over the last year-and-a-half, I put an absurd amount of time (nearly 600 hours) into Fire Emblem: Three Houses, completing all four routes and the DLC. But my experience isn't yet complete, so I'd like to go back and play through Three Houses on Maddening NG, probably on the Golden Deer route.

...I haven't finished this one. I made it to the post-skip, Chapter 18 I think, but not any further yet. There's nothing really keeping me from it - I just dropped it, and haven't been back. Really haven't played much of any Fire Emblem in the past couple months.

3. I bought it last year, and made it a little less than halfway through before dropping it - which is a shame, because I generally enjoyed the game, and want to fully give it a chance. So I'd like to finish playing Paper Mario: The Origami King.

I didn't make it back to this game, unfortunately. I really do want to give it a fair shake, but I just haven't made the time for it.

4. This one, I just received for Christmas, so of course I'll be spending time in it. But how much? Let's be optimistic, and plan to play through all three titles on the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, a reconstruction of some of my earliest gaming experiences.

I 100%ed (actually 120%ed) the first game, and while I haven't achieved the same in the second or third, I did beat both of them. As such, I'm counting this one as accomplished, even if there are a few Orbs and Dragon Eggs left to pick up.

5. The game, I believe, came as a gift, as did the first DLC pass - but the second one has been in my court, and I've just neglected to pick it up thus far. I'd like to acquire, and fully experience, the Fighters Pass 2 for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, which includes, of course, gitting gud with the characters in question.

I bought the pass, and tried out all the characters. I'm not playing a ton of Smash these days, but I wanted to give a go to all the content. Even if they didn't include some of my desired fighters, I'm decently happy with how they all play.

6. Last year, I completed a challenge run of Fire Emblem: Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, in which I only used "force-recruits". Just this past month, I attempted Thabes for the first time, but was forced to flee on the ninth understory. So, I intend to revisit, and complete, the post-game Thabes Labyrinth in Echoes - dragons, beware, for Saber has looped and wields a Zweihänder!

This was one of my most specific and least ambitious goals, so no surprise that it was among my first accomplished.

7. It's hard to gauge when you've "beaten" an open-ended game like Animal Crossing. I got K.K. Slider to visit, so am I done? Well yes, but actually no. There's so much more to do, but let's use an easy metric of accomplishment: I wish to complete the Museum in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, save for the Art section, which is up to the whims of fate. Get ready to be bugged, Blathers!

No, I did not complete the museum in Animal Crossing. But I did complete the fossil section! So I'll count this one partially completed. While I don't plan to buy the DLC, I would like to give some of the latest update features a proper explore.

8. I generally enjoy Kart racing games, but despite owning two of the best around (in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled), I basically didn't play them at all this past year. So it's less of a concrete goal, but it'd be nice to spend more time playing my premier kart racing games. If I were to make a goal of it, maybe 100%ing CTR? Or at least unlocking all the characters.

I've done a little of this, but not much. This was always one of those "nebulous" goals, ill-defined to the point of having little meaning.

9. I'd like to buy a new-to-me game in an unfamiliar franchise. I was thinking Catherine: Full Body, but I've also heard lots of good things about HadesHollow Knight, and Cuphead. Yeah, I realize these are all over the place in style and substance. So let's just say purchase, and play, a totally novel gaming experience.

Did I buy, and play, any of the games I listed here? No, I did not. Apologies to the fans who have provided their own recommendations. That said, I did play at least two games that would satisfy this standard, in Jenny LeClue and Not Tonight. It's another nebulous goal, but I like having it here, as a reminder to be willing to expand my gaming horizons.

10. Collect all the Crystal Hearts in Celeste.

Did this a while ago. The only goal that makes sense beyond this one is "collect all golden berries", but while I've obtained a handful so far, some of them really seem outside the limits of my ability and patience.

11. Play Pokemon Snap. Maybe not to 100%, but at least through the main campaign.

...I started New Pokemon Snap. Haven't really progressed beyond the first course, but I've started it. I'd like to give it a proper playthrough in the year ahead.

In any case, let me know how your own goals went! Were you happy with your gaming progress, or did you find your efforts this year to be lacking? While I didn't meet all my goals, I'm fairly satisfied with my results. Now, to brainstorm how to go further in 2022...

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Added goals 10 and 11.

Well, overall, I failed to finish most of the games on my list, though a big reason for that was that, the more I thought about some of those games, the more I realized that I didn't want to finish them. I honestly didn't like Witcher 3, and while I like Ys 8 overall, I kind-of got bored of it and I know that the end of the game stinks, so I didn't really feel much incentive to finish it.

I did finally finish the story mode of Smash Bros. Ultimate, and while I didn't complete Three Houses, I completed the Verdant Wind route; two routes down, two to go.

Plus, I played and finished a ton of games that weren't on my gaming resolutions list, including the following:

• Ocarina of Time
  • Majora's Mask
  • Super Metroid
  • Mega Man 1-6
  • Bug Fables
  • Shovel Knight
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2
  • Blossom Tales
  • Metroid Dread 

My backlog year ended on November 11. Here's the full breakdown, but I'll summarize here:

Spoiler

1. Beat or Complete 32 games on Playstation systems (not counting games that are part of a curated arcade or genesis collection). I got 39.
  2. Beat or Complete 3 games with Tomb Raider in the title. This is one of two goals I didn't complete. But I did try to play the original Tomb Raider, and its 2007 remake. Both proved too buggy to run on a modern PC. I don't know where to fall on games I literally cannot beat, but I suppose I could have gone the route of emulation once I got over the sting of having to start over. 
  3. Beat or Complete 5 Ubisoft games. I got 7. I believe this was the first goal I finished due to blasting through Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Rogue, and Unity in a short time frame. But this goal also led me to finally playing Child of Light, which is a delightful game. 
  4. Complete 15 games beaten in 2018 or earlier. Reluctantly passed this finish line. I'm not the type of person that replays games often. It just always seemed irresponsible with the balloon size of my backlog. There are games I want to revisit, but they seldom have fun completionist criteria. So for this next year I'm cutting it down to 10.
  5. Beat all unfinished games in the following categories: WiiWare, Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Downloads, Game Boy Advance, and Playstation Vita. This was 12 games in total and I got em. It allowed me to unplug my Wii U for the first time since I bought it in 2013. But even a couple months later there's more I want to play on that system, so it may return to active service soon.
  6. 500 or less unfinished games. This is the other unfinished goal that keeps getting pushed forward into the next year. Maybe this is the year? 
  7. Complete one game for each letter of the word BACKLOG. Aced that spelling test.
  8. Beat or Complete nine of these ten fortune cookie bounties: Medal of Honor (1999), Bad Dudes, Perfect Dark Zero, Rocket Power Team Rocket Rescue, L.A. Noire, Super Monkey Ball Touch & Roll, suikoden III, Silent Hill, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, SonSon. Got them all except Suikoden 3. I did put 15-20 hours into the game, but I just wasn't jiving with it. I did however play through the first two games in preparation and loved those. 

The next backlog year ends on November 11th, 2022. Here are those goals that I have already selected

Spoiler

Current progress.

1. IZXT-5LNoqici8FcJr4Y6Uqqt91Fw5XOo8Bfq_Kg8baOQu8zGPRDiPHL6Fs0rzRHOfSLvalFTjV7uZ9tOMkriT3V9ACzM1xo0O2nhwt8TvR6WLvvO08RFH4gwuYuokgYvscZLAhE or mKU8zTCUW_Hp1zmA3Pgpxf1DQXsVKwP00CsDmHH2aO_MxnrebULehJipa_-4JbU-qSJjw1cQYshB57WklcNQp5EhV8WQpLQW6LS9st3-BGL-sl38ZGyy5B9b6EwTVU--m4aexBRy One game beginning with every letter of the alphabet (excluding Q. When it comes to articles, The Legend of Zelda would be an L game rather than T, for example.)

2. aGpkrSjY28okevQVvkMtaEGmIjbWJq2Qzi0leKqhi0ivH7pD9Yz1jneDtmsSJyrMpK8r592xAEZwHOxL24r6SVLH8SYilbNPYV0rcLSlW9PTNkHN_EFt0mYVYalFuf1Wogzd_-D5 or PjzbaYj7xQLRTbBGrsudI182KsApLvMmGcSEc5MJWuFFft91EJGbOq0-xTSJ9ZIgiJ6JumDz3nUEkHZEKp8aM-PiA8g0n6GU0vuE4fY4ggnLVECfNFcq4d_turFw06L9UhmVJIo2 5 Fangame ROM hacks. (must have unique content. Can't just be a hard mode or fan translation of an existing game)

3. Less than 500 digtUNhlyxrd8eJGyL4xsZb4rURZn3zmMjjeLQsaf_cm5TdtJxxM3vf7w_eLHksvzupu2wpW9Lshdv-qPyuWsgd-Kic5Y_QZdFb0famnmXDQnQ9M8NxsnX_PO5oZDjvhmqbEcPIR games. (we begin the year at 525 games)

4. teUJGdPh-OLMlfAtBTgfc5591rBeLi19PnXFbMvsA0i-vPMaNQELY8gSEs3jBccq4pTbaYOkdh3f_CZrlPPZd3KmIzrRSSPxSDtvMPh9vNfgqbHwe-g5AluW1upB6wHZ4UxTUL1q at least 10 games beaten in 2019 or earlier

5. Lo-OAjdB9Bd-xWpsVHSY9c_Bhs-kgi5JeRZoW2vPoIs1NMVnFaDU9E0lXCWKYsI5Met3xQxNn2tuD3LY9Q3eGXC9LIbRjfsGK8UsbclOWLMyYPRE3L9tk3TUDK_qtzD2Hz5Mr9km or x5TCnpfNmfFCgKBl7RbYN0js2BAIEnIT85GkqiAAWeugltWPuQeJxixZlTm0eD7TuWgOs-uqAEBO7GmqxUu32nTIjsCgfWZAQrpq832931T0qwKEOFCjGqTAk2OqCpt02_tgR86j 32 Playstation games (digital games count, but not ones that are part of an arcade or genesis collection)

6. Beat all unfinished game boy and 3DS games.

7. 5ZLSHaPxBRwyINskVFqKvA0WDjUsu39CZCqLq32a5ryizmHSfHypYINF2Uddo7qMKGvkCXiZ9zCnjUeldibRvUzbSdwOZyLrJYPkiWThkWjzyFWStMIa07pDdbQK--zqnUur893K or bRXD6kk_QPJHTGSJUNX7VTXZ0A7v-qfCBNqTqLgkhIDESP0iS1bfyxdLKIZ0OUgvSF4W4itEsBkS8cuenLRI09cNIeeouCZxh5n-JPq5Gy10gwjNLxHYNNQfdCoTgSM9iMA9w_Qj five games that are at least 40 hours to beat on Howlongtobeat.com

8. 5gx_umIapU-Qr3MqA6J9A5-mz6Tzkruw8OgOQdk3zLGtq-KUmMZvectvte6pvBGf2Cakx0JqfqG5--cnOYy7IOdIrLsvoXbCXqJtU06pivo83Ovt0tqDLvZMXiEzs7VsR8-Mr78E or xFhCT5_jFecm-vIxusZb5aNLy_aFs0aHk1zvR--_i9Ga_nABJG75qz7omH5FnW_X05ETzIG6RdSycNtvZMvFNquvxhZM_ZEVbj-Jd0LgUXy6dHQezj426b7n3CCCwgotOgDFjz-D nine of these ten fortune cookie selected games: Alice Madness Returns, Dark Sector, Killzone Shadow Fall, Makeruna Makendou 2, Mega Man The Power Battle, Moon Raider, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, Rygar The Legendary Adventure, Toy Soldiers Cold War, Viewtiful Joe

#5 is a straight repeat of last year because I just think it's a good goal idea given how much is still left on my playstations. #2 is not to suggest that ROM hacks that are simply hard modes are somehow lesser. Just that I want to discover some of the more ambitious projects out there. And I am open to suggestions, particularly a Fire Emblem one. Currently working through the recently finished Paper Mario 64: Dark Star Edition, sort of another take on the famous Master Quest mod. It's much harder than the vanilla game, has new areas, enemies and badges, and Pit of 100 Trials and Boss Rush challenges.

I don't really think I gave #6 much thought, and may cut it in favor of bumping up #2 to 10 games or something. The two unfinished Game Boy games are Blaster Master: Enemy Below, a difficult and particularly long (for the game boy) game. And an awful port of Grand Theft Auto 1. Whereas my remaining 3DS catalog is mostly overly long jrpgs. 3DS is also problematic because it's a system I'm still likely to add onto, making it less finite than finishing the Game Boy or other retro systems. 

My Fortune Cookie picks this year are a great selection though. I'm looking forward to all of them and their unique strangeness. When none of them ended up being super long games, I figured I'd balance out my good luck by adding #7. I've got to ensure that some super long jrpgs get cleaned out.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

My goal was to play a citybuidler for every RTS played, but basically the only one I played was Caesar 3 (a couple hybirds but they don't count)

I don't really care about my gaming goal from January anyway, since the chance to come 1st place in custom robo tournaments came up. Lot of prestige in winning the last tournament of the year and winning the 2nd most ranked tournaments total.