The fandom treats Flayn as a joke and it's harming her image

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, LelouchUzumaki said:

I already mentioned it before: I wish I wasn't the only person Flayn meant so much to. Yes, I know she has many fans who like her on a more casual level and draw cute art of her, and I'm not saying that's not valid. It's just frustrating for me seeing tons of people draw and get commissions of such-and-such girl x Byleth (and yes, these people usually do feel as strongly about these girls as I do for Flayn and see themselves as Byleth in those scenarios), whereas no one creates or cares about such content for Flayn other than myself. She's a wonderful character and I just think she deserves to be loved in the same way as every other girl.

Not to keep this thing going, but I'd just like to point out that you're complaining about how nobody else loves Flayn the way you do, but the way you love Flayn isn't a very common feeling people have towards any fictional character. You're in the minority there. Yes, there are others like you who feel that way about other characters, but most of us just don't go past what you're calling a "casual level" for anyone, Flayn or otherwise.

Also, what makes you so certain that most people think of Byleth as themselves? Everyone else I've met on these boards always talks about Byleth as they would any other character. Some people have even mentioned not liking Byleth. I certainly don't think of myself as Byleth, I gave her a different name and different gender from my own. Not to mention that I don't have blue hair, zero emotions or a mercenary father named Jeralt.

So clearly "No True Scotsman" arguments aren't the way to go about this (or anything, really).

I don't think I'm going to be too successful getting my point of view across so I'll let this subject go for now. However, I'd be remiss not to mention one aspect of Flayn memeing that has starkly more malicious intent than basic "she loves fish" or "Seteth disapproves" jokes.

Flayn content of all kinds occasionally attracts derogatory "age" memes that not only attack Flayn but the character of her fans (I want to say most of you know the kinds of memes I'm referring to). And I'm not even talking about risque content; even my opening pic, as wholesome as it is, has been targeted by these kinds of attacks. A large portion of the fandom has made up in their mind that Flayn is "the next Nowi" and has shifted that ridicule and scorn onto any content that expresses fondness of her. I get that Flayn may appear outwardly youthful to many people (she isn't alone in that and yet she's the only one these derisive memes target among the 3H cast), but she is far from the simple-minded prepubescent child that many mischaracterize her as, nor have I ever seen her as such. When I talk about the impact of memes depriving Flayn from being loved as she deserves to be, this is by far the most damaging. I believe people being concerned that their morals will be mocked or questioned is the main reason why more people don't come out as Flayn fans or make shipping content with her, and that's plainly unfair to Flayn.

7 minutes ago, LelouchUzumaki said:

I don't think I'm going to be too successful getting my point of view across so I'll let this subject go for now. However, I'd be remiss not to mention one aspect of Flayn memeing that has starkly more malicious intent than basic "she loves fish" or "Seteth disapproves" jokes.

Flayn content of all kinds occasionally attracts derogatory "age" memes that not only attack Flayn but the character of her fans (I want to say most of you know the kinds of memes I'm referring to). And I'm not even talking about risque content; even my opening pic, as wholesome as it is, has been targeted by these kinds of attacks. A large portion of the fandom has made up in their mind that Flayn is "the next Nowi" and has shifted that ridicule and scorn onto any content that expresses fondness of her. I get that Flayn may appear outwardly youthful to many people (she isn't alone in that and yet she's the only one these derisive memes target among the 3H cast), but she is far from the simple-minded prepubescent child that many mischaracterize her as, nor have I ever seen her as such. When I talk about the impact of memes depriving Flayn from being loved as she deserves to be, this is by far the most damaging. I believe people being concerned that their morals will be mocked or questioned is the main reason why more people don't come out as Flayn fans or make shipping content with her, and that's plainly unfair to Flayn.

Some people just aren't comfortable shipping Flayn with anyone, including Byleth, because of her childlike appearance. It doesn't matter if she's actually 1000 years old, shipping someone who looks like she's twelve just weirds some people out, myself included. You see the same reaction with Sothis. You've just happened to run into some folks who feel really strongly about the matter and try to force others to feel the same. Which isn't okay, but here you are ranting about how nobody feels the same way as you, so... pot, meet kettle.

24 minutes ago, RainbowMoon said:

It doesn't matter if she's actually 1000 years old

When I said she's "far from that", I don't mean in some abstract fantasy "really 1000 years old" sense, which I know has become a common point of mockery among not just FE but gaming and anime as a whole. I never even bring that up when arguing for her.

What I meant is that Flayn is an average teenage girl, like all the other (mostly) teenage girl students in 3H; girls who people have no reservations about expressing love and fondness for (in ways SFW and NSFW). Also, you know who else is a teenage girl? Lyn. Yes I know NoA altered her age for the west, but if they didn't, do you think that would have stopped the massive fanbase that formed around her?

Edited by LelouchUzumaki

well here's the thing about the age of anime characters or just cartoon characters in general. Sometimes it really is just arbitrary number that doesn't mean anything. Case and point Yoko Littner from Gurren Lagann is 14

Yoko Littner | Wiki | Anime Amino

14 minutes ago, LelouchUzumaki said:

What I meant is that Flayn is an average teenage girl, like all the other (mostly) teenage girl student students in 3H; girls who people have no reservations about expressing love and fondness for (in ways SFW and NSFW).

Look at Flayn, though. Look at her next to Ingrid, or Dorothea, or Leonie or any of the other "average teenage girl" students. She's significantly shorter, baby-faced, flat-chested and dressed like a child. She looks like a young preteen girl, maybe 11-12 years old. The other female students for the most part look like women in their early twenties, or at least senior year high schoolers. It's only natural that some people just aren't comfortable with shipping Flayn the way they are with, say, Dorothea or Hilda. And to clarify, I don't ship Lysithea with anyone either until after the timeskip.

3 hours ago, LelouchUzumaki said:

Yeah, nobody who's sane would want to bite the bullet to justify this. It's not you, but we live in an era where people will give you the stink-eye for shipping certain characters...Or just starting certain topics about them.

. . .and that's the topic.

Quite frankly, if you have to "come out" as a fan of a character, that says a lot about a character.  A lot of bad things.