FE1 Axe-users Ranked

bfbbturambar

How would you rank the 4 axe-users in FE1: Barst, Bord, Cord, and Darros.

My personal ranking goes:

1. Barst (Obviously)

2. Cord

3. Bord

4. Darros

Barst is statistically superior to the other units in almost every way, he is more-or-less guaranteed the top spot. Cord has better speed than the other two, he beats Darros in most other relevant categories, his only real disadvantages are compared to the other two are slightly worse strength than Bord, which is made up for by better speed, and his weapon level is 1 too short to use devil axe, but his 50% weapon level growth make it easy to bring it up to par. Bord has the better strength than Cord and Darros, a better weapon level than Cord that allows him to use all of the axes, significantly better skill than Darros, but is still beaten in most other ways by Cord and Barst that have already been mentioned. Darros is beaten in most ways by the other axe-users, his higher weapon level doesn't make a difference since he only needs 4; his only significant benefit is his ability to walk on water which he gets from his pirate class since that allows him to traverse certain maps easier and get terrain bonuses from attacking on water, but that doesn't make up for his weaknesses. His other advantages are negligible, such as having 1 more max hp than Bord and Cord. He gets beaten in speed, skill, and strength by other units in significant ways.

This sounds about right.

The sad part about Darros's water-walking is that it sounds useful in theory, but in practice isn't all that good because (1) he doesn't have the stats to use it effectively, and (2) there aren't many maps in the game where a water-walker is particularly needed.

To say nothing about literally any flier rendering his one big selling point obsolete...

Pretty much. It should be noted that the game does differentiate between sea and river tiles, and it's the sea tiles that Darros uniquely can cross, while infantry swords can cross rivers. But FE1 has no maps where Darros' movement can really shine. The viability of the axe users goes down considerably the more you employ, since there can only be so many axes to go around. Best to just stick with Barst. He's a big help in dealing with armor knights in the early game, since tome shops are so infrequent. Merric and Wendell only have their starting excalibur and thunder tomes until chapter 8, as far as I can recall.

I can't honestly see any way to argue this. Bord and Darros have their biggest advantage over Cord in their starting weapon rank. But as you said, in FE1, the maximum weapon rank an axe user needs is literally 4, and even Cord starts with 3. Darros bases don't even make an attempt to compensate for his growth rates... failing to be noticeably different from either Bord or Cord... except possibly in the randomized luck (which let's face it, could end up as 0). That 2 skill with a 0% defense growth, coupled with using axes means Darros is going to be missing shots until doomday. The one thing Darros has going for him is a ridiculous defense growth. 40% looks great... until you realize that it's matched by or exceeded by the other three axe users.

Bord versus Cord is basically a matter of speed versus skill... and we all know having speed not only contributes to offense by letting you double, but defense by letting you not be doubled.
Hence Cord wins out.

So yeah. That list is going to be hard to argue with. I mean, it was pretty much the case for FE11.... but the way weapon levels work here combined with the lack of higher difficulties takes away from Bord's one advantage, making the list even more accurate in FE1 than it's own remake. Not that it matters in the long run when most people are just going to use Barst because he's heads and shoulders above the rest.

17 hours ago, The Moon Mage said:

Pretty good. Barst is like the only one that is actually worth using while the other 2 fighters are pretty lackluster by comparison and Darros is a waste of space that it's no wonder that he was never in Mystery of the emblem book1. 

You know... all this is tempting me to try and find a way to get him to the point he can kill Medeus. Which basically means wasting a lot of stat-boosters. Like even more than I just did with Vyland.

On 1/6/2021 at 3:00 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

You know... all this is tempting me to try and find a way to get him to the point he can kill Medeus. Which basically means wasting a lot of stat-boosters. Like even more than I just did with Vyland.

With the devil axe, anything is possible