Your favorite new units of Heroes 2020

redlight

So I thought I'd make this topic to reminisce about the good stuff that we might have experienced last year in Heroes. You're free to talk about whether you bring out your favorite unit in each weapon category or just "my top 10 favorite units 2020". Anything goes. You're free to add an explanation as well and/or just your opinions on your favorite units. In any way really.

This is just gonna be me repeating "art good" and "good unit"

Sword: Mirabilis

Spoiler

Really fucking cute. Has a unique kit as well. Don't have her and probably will never snipe for her on legendary banners again, but she'd be my priority for free summons and tickets if given the chance. Maybe even risk a few orbs if the free pull had other red orbs.

There's this nice edit of a NY!Mirabilis on reddit. Makes me dream of what we didn't get. Should've been the TT reward if she'd have been in batch.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/kmqokt/frankensteined_mirabilis_together_so_she_can_go/

Lance: Seteth

Spoiler

I was really torn on picking between him and W!Hilda, but I quite enjoyed him in 3H and they did not do him dirty. Huge hit with the ladies as well. Most importantly, more F2P goodies. Surprisingly enough I had expected Spear of Assal to be given to Ferdi given he seemed like a more popular character and probably whale bait bcs BE is seemingly the most popular route.

Axe: Ninja Hana

Spoiler

Cute art and good unit. Nothing much to say here. Always been apathetic towards Hana, but this alt makes me want to build her. At least the alt version. Also, ninja theme was a welcomed surprise when it came to new ideas of special heroes.

Red Tome: Duo Sigurd & Deirdre

Spoiler

Wholesome as f. That's all I can say. Kinda bittersweet as well

Blue Tome: Summer Lute

Spoiler

Not much variety of good this year. While her art isn't the best, at least she's a F2P version of a glass cannon flier which is pretty noteworthy. Oh, and it's Lute. What's not to love.

Green Tome: Fallen Lyon

Spoiler

Amazing art and insane unit. Would be the unit I'd most likely spend my orbs on if I was forced to save up all my orbs for an entire year.

Colorless Tome: Bramimond

Spoiler

Not that big of category, but he good. Has that banger Wachiko art.

Staff: Valentine Silque

Spoiler

When I felt crushed that regular Silque was 5 star locked unit, there came this Silque. SHE'S FREE. Pretty nice support.

Bow: Jorge

Spoiler

Not-a-bot is quite good as a unit. I'll always remember fondly of how this nobody was botted into the game. Not saying I agree with the method, just find it funny. That's all

Dagger: Dancer Lachesis

Spoiler

Miwabe Sakura redemption arc these past few years. Much greater this year with alongside saving Sophia. Really nice art and a better Tethys, I guess. Would've spent my orbs to +10 her if I had returned to the game back when she was released. Also, she's finally been done justice bcs she's way too often portrayed as a loli.

Dragon: Halloween Grima

Spoiler

I didn't have any particular favorites in this category. Just like the art. That's all.

Beast: Groom Rafiel

Spoiler

Nice art and good unit. Just getting 1 copy of him is good enough for all players. F2P-friendly unit so big support from me.

Legendary: Exalt Chrom

Spoiler

He's just very interesting as a unit. Same artist as Legendary Leif's so big plus from me. Went from being apathetic towards him at the beginning of the year to being a candidate for orb splurging next to Fallen Lyon. I loved that they made him much different than what people would've had expected him to be released as.

Mythic: Triandra

Spoiler

Good dancer and art. Kinda wished I had a copy, but that's about it.

Resplendent: Sophia

Spoiler

One of the biggest redemption arts in the game. Also one of the units I was willing to have a Feh Pass for.

Given it was my first year playing the game they're all new, lmao ...

• Shinon - surprisingly broken as a unit (+fodder) despite being a not-quite-as-popular dude, plus incredible art that shows off his expressions. Even if you don't care for the character (he is an asshole), he's still likely useful, and if you do ... well, I shudder to see the first time I see a +10 Shinon.
  • Petrine - It's nice to see love for relatively minor ladybosses; always had a weak spot for her. Distinct from other lance cavs with her canon prf, she fits nicely in a niche as your sub-human laguz killer if you need one. Still trying to figure out good synergy, but it's nice to have a grail unit you can feel good about investing in long-term.
  • Jill - long overdue, cute as she was in FE9, and a nice HB+Galeforce heavy-hitter.  Synergizes weirdly well with my DC Valter with him as bait and then her to close in and galeforce. My orbs are crying already from steadily trying to +10 her...
  • fallen!Lyon - echoing redlight's reasons, amazingly solid and a staple as a brusier of a mage tank. I just may have to work on that FE8 villains squad given Valter's my main, and there's Callech too...
  • ninja!Zihark - aside from favoritism, consistently quadding with the insane speed/surprisingly high attack is nice to see in a seasonal demote, and boy does close call make for a fun AR build.. Voice is A+. The art's not... my favorite (more for the seasonal factor than anything), but I am not joking when it made my literal year to see my man in. ❤️  

Yeah, I ate pretty well this year.

My top 10 from what I have:

Guinivere - Long wished for her and she did not disappoint. She's fantastic as a unit as well and I love her design.

Selena - The non-seasonal one. My favorite of the generals of FE8, and probably the most tragic of the bunch. She's also a good unit but not as flashy. 

Altina duo with Sanaki:  Very powerful unit, amazing Duo even if only to herself, fun to play. I loved the first one, so got the other one too. And she's with a Santa costume.

Reginn: So far I'm not much into the character in the story... but gameplay wise... holy, her special is so damn good it makes a blast to play with her.

Brave Edelgard: Backbone of my teams when I'm not giving Merit to other people. Very powerful, versatile. Purely on gameplay as I haven't played 3H yet.

Brave Dimitri: Same as above, though less flashy.

Brave Lysithea: Same as above, but also waifu. 

Brave Claude: Same as above, but as a bro.

Byleth duo with Rhea: Also a fun unit, very strong Duo skill as well that can turn around unfavourable battles into wins.

Dancer Eldigan: Great design, really elegant, and a non-squishy dancer that can even tank felt really different as well.

Honorable mention: The POR quintet (Petrine, Jill, Gatrie, Shinon and Ilyana), but I don't use them much, as much as Shinon looks really OP and I even have 4 extra copies of him lying around. Fallen Lyon and Fallen Ike are also very strong but I don't use them much.

Resplendent Eliwood, Resplendent Hector, and Resplendent Caeda turned units I'd never use into merge projects.

I'm ecstactic that Seteth is a demote.

Petrine's shctick as a magic damage lance is really unique.

Shinon and Jill were long overdue.

So were Selena and Duessel. But ffs, making Duessel a lance was an incomprehensibly stupid decision.

Rinkah was the last truely essential Fates character.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I like the weapon type criteria.

• Sword: Larcei
  • Lance: Seteth
  • Axe: Jill
  • Bow: Brave Claude
  • Dagger: Julian
  • R Tome: Dancer Sigurd
  • B Tome: Guinivere
  • G Tome: Ced
  • C Tome: Bramimond
  • Staff: Lena
  • Dragon: Nils
  • Beast: Pirate Tibarn

I don't currently have all of them (missing Bramimond and Tibarn) but these are the ones I found especially exciting, bringing in new characters I was really happy to see or particularly cool alts.

1. News Year Anna- Favorite New Years art for my favorite character.
  2. Apotheosis Anna- Favorite character again but this time as the rare infantry lance unit from Awakening Apotheosis map.
  3. Fiora- Favorite female character from Blazing Blade in her regular outfit and has nice art.
  4. Duo Palla- I like the Whitewing sisters and the alt was wholesome. She's really strong on a flying team.
  5. Julian- Was happy to see the OG thief show up in Heroes.
  6. Lena- Same as above but for the OG cleric.
  7. Legendary Chrom- I like Chrom and was happy to see him get a strong alt even if he is annoying to fight in PVP modes. Still, I'm happy he finally got his Legendary alt.
  8. Brave Lysithea- Her Brave art was my favorite out of the CYL4 heroes.
  9. Ninja Hana- One of the few Hoshidan characters I like that got a nice ninja art. Is also free and is a grail unit.
  10. Winter Felix- One of my favorite characters from Three Houses who also came free and is a grail unit
Edited by NSSKG151

Sword: Young Marth

Lance: Fiora

Axe: Jill

Red Tome: Sigurd and Dierdre duo

Blue Tome: Guinivere

Green Tome: Fallen Lyon

Colorless Tome: Bramimond

Staff: Natasha

Bow: Brave Claude

Dagger: Lyn and Florina duo

Dragon: Nils

Beast: Pirate Tibarn

Legendary: Chrom

Mythic: Bramimond

Resplendent: Lyn

mmh, interesting, but I'd like to expand my list a bit, by adding Infantry/Flier/Cavalry/Armor categories for some of the most common weapon types

Swords

• Spoiler

• Sword Infantry: Duo Altina-Sanaki, tied with Shannan
    • Sword Flier: Ashnard
    • Sword Cavalry: Legendary Seliph
    • Sword Armor:/

Lances

Spoiler

• Lance Infantry: Pirate Geese
    • Lance Flier: Seteth, tied with Altena and Soirée Eldigan
    • Cavalry: Petrine, tied with Duessel
    • Lance Armor: Gatrie

Axes
    Spoiler

• Axe Infantry: Duo Alm-Celica how I'd love to say "tied with Boyd"
    • Axe Flier: Jill
    • Axe Cavalry:/
    • Axe Armor:/

Bows
    Spoiler

• Bow Infantry: Jorge, tied with Shinon, Jorge and Jorge (yeah I honestly couldn't care less about how he got in and how others feel towards him, I'm just extremely happy he made it)
    • Bow Flier: Soirée Quan
    • Bow Cavalry: Rath
    • Bow Armor: Pic-Nic Faye

Red Tomes
    Spoiler

• Red Tome Infantry: Fallen Julia
    • Red Tome Flier: Duo Byleth-Rhea dammit just give me base Rhea 
    • Red Tome Cavalry: Duo Sigurd-Deirdre 
    • Red Tome Armor:/

Blue Tomes
    Spoiler

• Blue Tome Infantry: Guinivere, tied with Ilyana
    • Blue Tome Flier:/
    • Blue Tome Cavalry: FE8 Selena
    • Blue Tome Armor:/

Green Tomes
    Spoiler

• Green Tome Infantry: Fallen Lyon
    • Green Tome Flier:/
    • Green Tome Cavalry: FE8 Summer Selena
    • Green Tome Armor:/

• Colorless Tome: Bramimond, tied with Halloween Xane

Daggers
    Spoiler

• Red Dagger:/
    • Blue Dagger:/
    • Green Dagger: Soirée Lachesis
    • Colorless Dagger: Summer Dorothea, tied with Soirée Ethlyn and Julian

Staves
    Spoiler

• Staff Infantry: Natasha, tied with Lena
    • Staff Flier: Flayn
    • Staff Cavalry:/
    • Staff Armor: Winter Sephiran

Dragons
    Spoiler

• Red Breath: Halloween Deghinsea
    • Blue Breath: Nils
    • Green Breath:/
    • Colorless Breath: Mila

Beasts
    Spoiler

• Red Beast:/
    • Blue Beast: Groom Rafiel
    • Green Beast: New Year Lethe, tied with Bride Nailah
    • Colorless Beast: Pirate Tibarn

Edited by Yexin

8 hours ago, Othin said:

I like the weapon type criteria.

• Sword: Larcei
  • Lance: Seteth
  • Axe: Jill
  • Bow: Brave Claude
  • R Tome: Dancer Sigurd
  • B Tome: Guinivere
  • G Tome: Ced
  • C Tome: Bramimond
  • Staff: Lena
  • Dragon: Nils
  • Beast: Pirate Tibarn

I don't currently have all of them (missing Bramimond and Tibarn) but these are the ones I found especially exciting, bringing in new characters I was really happy to see or particularly cool alts.

Funny enough, the ones that are most useful for me are a very different list.

• Sword: Reginn
  • Lance: Brave Dimitri
  • Axe: Brave Edelgard
  • Bow: Legendary Chrom
  • R Tome: Plumeria
  • B Tome: Selena
  • G Tome: Fallen Lyon
  • C Tome: Bride Micaiah
  • Staff: Flayn
  • Dragon: Mila
  • Beast: Bride Nailah

Truthfully I ended up using pitifully few units from the 2020 crop, not because they were bad, but because by and large I'm settled in my ways and just use my old established crop of core heroes for any content that matters. I couldn't even come up with a pure top-five list of additions that I actually used with any regularity, let alone ten. With that in mind, beyond the top three the nominations are just theoretical, and even then I'm limited to units where I remember what their gimmick is. I don't tend to remember what most 5-star exclusives actually do, even ones I happen to pull random copies of and proceed to never use. This realisation that I'm working hard for orbs to pull units I never truly intended to use in the first place is a large part of why I'm checking out next month.

Mila - Accessible Isolation finally, which made my time in AR just that little bit less painful. That said, I quit taking AR seriously not long afterwards, so her actual impact was maybe only relevant for a couple of months.

Mininerva - Just a great, accessible unit in a sorely underpopulated niche (fast axe flier).

Trio Palla - Carrier of the only Duo skill I use regularly, a skill which covers for the biggest weakness of my favourite team composition. It helps that I never settled on a common lance flier to merge to +10, due to various factors like bad art, lack of refines, or being 4-star locked.

In theory...

Winter Felix - Just the principle of finally having a TT unit being that of a niche class - he's the first non-dagger F2P armoured unit, and that counts for plenty. Never mind the fact that mine's still level 1 because I forgot to level him during the actual TT.

Reginn - Canto seems interesting, but she comes too late for me to properly use it beyond that one week I needed her to get back to T19 Arena.

Ninja Hana - A welcome break from the hordes of samey bulky axe infantries we're getting every other banner these days.

Petrine - If they're going to spam us with lance cavalry then with her magic damage schtick she's probably the most interesting one we could have expected.

Duo Byleth - This one is admittedly a stretch but simply the most powerful unit I'd want if I had to pick any one hero from 2020 that I didn't get.

Seteth - In theory I finally have a lance flier +10 project I'd be comfortable with. In practice I haven't gotten a single copy since his banner ended though.

Ashnard - Not a niche I necessarily need filling, but a F2P-friendly tanky sword flier is a welcome option.

Edited by Humanoid

This year my gameplay style changed from enemy phase tanking to Player phase teams so the units I like are units I never expected to use to be honest. My favourite 2020 units are the following 

• Legendary Edelgard.
    Spoiler

Aside from being a character I truly like a lot she is an extremely fun unit and a big twist in what armors can do as far as Player phase and Galeforce can goes. Currently lack Galeforce fodder for the triple movement build but her B slot alone makes her a really fun and exciting unit to use. 

• Hel.

Spoiler

The only tank on the list. Her weapon with Miracle special, her base kit, Mystic boost and Velouria support make her a unit I just smite into the enemies and never dies. Definitely one of my favourites from all years of Feh not only 2020.

• Leila.

• Spoiler

Got her alongside LEdelgard and though I didn't expect much of her, she ended up literally saving my Astra seasons. Another fun unit I love a lot.

• Mirabilis.
    Spoiler

My favourite dancer in the game, she has the strongest dance and weapon out of all the fairies I believe and I use her pretty much for everything. She also was my 3rd and final Spark so she has a sentimental value I guess. 

• Bramimond.

• Spoiler

I accidentally grabbed a copy of him every time he was in a banner now he is +Atk +2 and he is my favourite mage nuke. He simply touches enemies with the right statline (easy to find in AR or Abyssals) or with a penalty and he makes them expload. With Mirabilis he has cleared many Abyssals. 

• Duo Byleth.
  • Spoiler

The closest I currently am to having Rhea in the game. A really unique class, a flying nuke and she also has NFU allowing her to use winsweep. Ground orders has made her a staple in my Dark defences and she can put lots of work. Sad I don't have a merge for her. 

• Winter Felix.
    Spoiler

My new merge project and another unique armor. He has a really good but expensive player phase build with Deadeye, Atk/Spd push 4 and Bold fighter making him an amazing armor nuke. Plan on using him aside from Arena in Anima defence in Duma seasons as he can be very hard hitting. 

That's my list. Some honorable mentions include Fallen Julia that functions similarly to Bramimond and Legendary Lilina that also has a unique playstyle but I want to use her more that a week to make a verdict but I really like her so far and find her extremely powerful. 

Edited by SuperNova125

I haven't played much this year, so I only have few names here.

Sword- Say'ri. Paired her with brave lucina. Really like her and helpful in arena assault for difficult enemies.

Lance- I want to say brave dimitri but i jut got Kris so it's a tie between these two.

Axe- Mustafa for sure. I dont have much other fav axe user since Arthur got his refine.

Beast- NY Lethe. She is really strong for my super-lacking-green barrack.