(FE4) What should my units' inventories be for the purposes of inheritance?

MagicalAlbino

I just started playing Genealogy of the Holy War, and I gotta say, I'm loving it. I'm currently up to Chapter 1, and I've already planned my pairings. I know that kids inherit the items in their parents' inventories, and that the only way to trade items is by selling and rebuying them, so item management is much more important than it is in Awakening. I'm just wondering, what items should I give to the parents so their children can perform the best? Here's the pairings I'm planning on doing:

Sigurd x Deirdre (obvs)

Quan x Ethlyn (also obvs)

Lex x Ayra

Midir x Aideen

Beowulf x Raquesis

Lewyn x Erin

Azel x Tailte

Holyn x Bridget

Claude x Sylvia

So, what items should each unit have before the end of Chapter 5? I'll use a guide so I know where items like the Brave Axe and Pursuit Ring are located, and I'm planning on buying everything from the armoury that I can, so obtaining the items isn't a problem. Thanks!

Edited by MagicalAlbino
updating names to the ones used in the Project Naga translation

Well for one you need to put some blades on Lex for Ulster and the Brave Axe. Although I recommend Holyn for a better array of swords. 

Make sure Ayra passes on the Brave Sword for Larcei. 

Give Sigurd all the rings for Seliph.

Midir's bows will pass on to Lester + the Brave Bow when Midir and Edain get married.

Lana will inherit all of Edain's staves and she won't really be affected by Midir since she starts off with a B in Staves.

Arthur will inherit all of Azelle's tomes and Tine will inherit her mom's tomes however she can't use Thoron until promotion.

Beowulf makes both Nanna and Diarmuid excellent physical fighters but Lana's healing will suffer a bit.

Brigid will pass on all her bows to Febail including Yewfelle, Holyn will pass on his swords and Luna which will make Patty a powerhouse. If you pair Brigid with Dew it will result in them being ok, Patty will benefit but Febail will be decent.

Claud will allow both Coirpre and Lene to shine as Coirpre will inherit the Valkyrie Staff and all of Claud's staves. Lene will have amazing res plus the Safeguard she inherits from Silvia.

I'm not Genealogy expert, but personally, I gave Selpih the Silver Sword you get from Arvis in the prologue-I got around 80 kills on it, so the huge crit rate helps right out the gate.

Ooo, Genealogy! One of my more liked FEs.

5 hours ago, MagicalAlbino said:

Sigurd x Deirdre (obvs)

Julia doesn't Inherit, so Deirdre's inventory is better off being sold in Chapter 3. The Silver Sword works well enough for Seliph, but honorable mentions go to the hidden Shield Sword, Brave Sword, Leg Ring, Knight Ring, and a Magic Sword.

Quan x Ethlyn (also obvs)

Lief can only inherit Swords, so Ethlyn can sell her staves in Chapter 3. Light Brand is great, aside from that, maybe an Armorslayer? Lief will be fighting a lot of Armors early on. Altena joins so late, I'd recomend only giving Quan a couple of Lances (Silver & Javelin?).

Lex x Ayra

Lex can't buy Swords, and Scathach (Screw that name!) can only inherit Swords. The only two Lex can get are the Bolt Sword and Silver Blade that drop from 2 of the Chapter 3 bosses. It's more than a little difficult to get, however, given both bosses get WTA and the Castle avoid bonus. Past that, once you're reay to move onto Gen2, just sell Lex's gear for a little gold.

Ayra can just pass down the Brave Sword, or if you gave that to Seliph, then a Silver Sword works.

Midir x Aideen

Midir can pass down both the Killer and Brave Bows, unless you want Brigid to pass one down. Similarly Aideen can simply pass down the Staves she uses (Warp & Mend?).

Beowulf x Raquesis

For this pairing, anything the parents can use, their kids can use as well. Not MK!Raquesis, of course, but any Sword or C rank Staff is fair game for Nanna. At this point, the good Swords are spread thin, so Steel Blades and/or Magic Swords work well enough.

Lewyn x Erin

Ced comes with Light, so aside from Staves, Forseti is all he could ever need. I'd recommend giving Erin the Brave Lance, as only she or Quan can pass it down, and Fee uses it better than Altena.

Azel x Tailte

.Tailte can't pass the Thoron down, so sell that. Aside from that note, none of the Gen1 tomes they can use are particularly good. Wind is the best of them, so give that to Arthur.

Holyn x Bridget

Bridget should pass down the Silver Bow, or maybe the Killer Bow if you don't want Lester to have it. Patty can only get B Swords, so maybe a Magic Sword (The hidden Wind Sword in particular). I'd say Brave, but she's too weak to use it well.

Claude x Sylvia

Neither of these kid'll ever be good in combat. Cairpre (Is that the right name?) will inherit Claude's Staves. His Magic won't be good enough to use Status Staves well for a long time, so just some healing/utility staves work. As for Leen, the Knight and Leg Rings work wonderfully, if Sylvia can afford them.

Looks like some good, but standard parings. Genealogy's pretty fun, even if it is longwinded. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Recently playing FE4 too so it's on my mind. Let me see what I can come up with your pairings.

The canon couples don't need much, however...

Sigurd x Deidre - Sigurd should pass down his trusty dusty Silver Sword. I also like having the Paragon Band and the Leg Ring on him. I always like promoting Seliph ASAP so he gets his mount. The sooner he does that, the sooner we can give the Paragon Band to Leif and/or Tine and the Leg Ring to Lene.

Quan x Ethlyn - I like having Ethlyn pass down the Light Sword and Cutter to Leif. There aren't too many armored enemies before in Chapters 4 and 5, and I always found the cutter useful right away for Leif.

Ayra x Lex - This combo always breeds badass kids so you don't really need to give them any rings. Just have Ayra pass down her Brave Sword and maybe the Thunder/Wind Sword. Defense Sword would also be useful if you let Silvia sell it. You may want Lex to defeat the bosses that drop swords like Jacobi (Thunder Sword) or Chagall (Silver Blade). You may want Lex to pass down the Pursuit Ring.

Aideen x Midir - Aideen should pass down her staves. I like giving her Mend, Libro (Physic) , and maybe something like Sleep/Restore/Silence. I prefer Silence because there's quite a bit of magic enemies in Chapters 7 and 8. For Lester, Midir will pass down his bows to him. Don't forget his final lovers conversation with Aideen so you can get the Brave Bow. Since Jamke won't be a father, you could sell his Killer Bow and have Midir buy it late in the final chapter.

Raquesis x Beowulf - Both of them have no issues passing down weapons and staves for their kids to use. I would sell Ethlyn's Return Staff and let Raquesis buy it. 

Erin x Lewyn - Ced gets Holsety and automatically has Lightning, he's golden. Maybe give him a staff while you're at it? Mend, Recover, Heal, etc. For Fee, I like making sure she has the Brave Lance. Have Finn sell it at the end of Chapter 3 and have Erin purchase it. Also make sure she has her hand on a sword or 2.

Azel x Tailte - Any magic you got, send it their way. Wind magic is the best, but they both want to use Thunder and Fire magic due to their blood. Tine can't use Thoron right away but IIRC she still inherits it because she'll be able to use it when she promotes. Keep it. You may want Azel to pass down the Magic Ring. If Serlis doesn't have the Paragon Band, then make sure Tailte is the one that has it. Tine comes early enough in Part 2 to warrant her inheriting it.

Brigid x Holyn - Any swords Holyn has will go straight to Patty. She inherits the Sleep sword no matter what anyways. You may want to pass on the Thunder Sword or the Wind Sword to her to make stealing easier. All Febail needs is Yewfelle. No other bows needed.

Silvia x Claud - I don't find the Defense Sword too useful for dancers because they won't be seeing too much of combat in the first place. Just let Lene inherit a Slim Sword or something. Nothing fancy. If you want Lene to have a fancy weapon, buy her the Flame Sword and let her attack from range. Her magic will be decent enough for this with Claud as her father. However, it may be worth it to give Lene the Bargain Ring (gotten by saving the northernmost village in Chapter 2). With that ring, Lene will be able to easily afford the Leg Ring once Seliph is done using it. You may also want to pass down the Knight Ring to Lene. As for Coirpre, make sure he gets Fortify, Recover, and other high-EXP staffs. He needs something to spam to catch up with everyone and promote by endgame. If Racquesis didn't buy Return, Claud DEFINITELY should.

This ended up being longer than I thought it was going to be. Oops.