Is promoting him early really a good idea?

James Marshall

In The Fan Made FE Game A Friend made that I'm playing theirs A Axe Using Armour Unit that's available early on and he's the only unit in the game were promoting him early is actually a good idea, here are the 2 reasons why. But what do you think. Is promoting him early really a good idea?

The 1st reason is that he starts at Level 11, has A Base Spd of 8 and the 2 reasons why promoting him early is a good idea are as follows. The 1st is that promoting him not only increases his actual Spd stat to 10, which means +25%, and the 2nd is that it increases his Str from 12 to 15, which reduces The Spd penalty his Silver Axe gives him from -3 to not giving him A Spd Penalty, which doubles his effective Spd from 5 to 10

The 2nd reason is that his personal Skill means that if he promotes at level 13 or lower then The Lance Rank he gains is 1 Rank higher the normal, which means he starts with A D rank rather then A E Rank and the other bonus is that if he promotes at level 13 or lower his background Skill means he gets A Automatic S Rank with Axes, but if he promotes at Level 14 or higher his Axe Rank only increases to half-way between what you need for A Rank and what you need for S Rank(which means it goes from 200 to 300 points of Weapon EXP)

Edited by James Marshall

Yeah that character sounds built around early promotion. However, I would say that, unless you get S rank axes that early, it probably isn't worth it to promote so early, because a bump up to D rank lances still means he'll need a lot of growing if using those is feasible and promoting almost instantly might squander his late game potential, so if you have to wait long to get S rank axes, and he would have A anyway, then that might not be worth it.

Are you at a point of the game where you need the power boost now just to survive?

Does the game go long enough that 20/20 is a realistic goal?

Going in blind, I'd probably still say promoting around level 15 is right in most cases. 10 for healers, obviously.

If he:s not struggling to do his required job in the army of tanking and killing things than theres no express need to promote him. Promoting might make him better in the short term, but if he:s already good enough then better is over kill and its better to wait until later rather than sooner for etter gains down the road. Of course that being said, what @Parrhesia says is quite relevant. Is the game long enough for a unit to get close to 20/20? Because if the units are only ever projected to reach 20/10 then the extra ten levels of first tier gain aren:t providing any benefits to the final total capabilities of the character, not promoting is just pushing the promotion gains further into the game (though they will probably level quicker at least if you don:t promote them). Considering most fan games I:ve expereinced tend to err on the shorter, but more difficult end of the spectrum, I:d say early promotion is probably better, but these are all the questions that need consideration. Ultimately my first point is still the most relevant though, is the unit currently struggling to an extent where those promotion gains would change how useful they are?

Edited by Jotari

I've been using this guy loads, I have used a lot of Stat Growth Boosting Items on him and I have have A question

He's gained 9 levels, so what are the odds of him  gaining 6 out of a possible 9 points of Spd when his Spd Growth Rate was 36% for 5 of those Levels, 44% for 3 of those Levels and 50% for the last Level

Edited by James Marshall
Forgot to put of between lot and Stat

3 hours ago, James Marshall said:

I've been using this guy loads, I have used a lot Stat Growth Boosting Items on him and I have have A question

He's gained 9 levels, so what are the odds of him  gaining 6 out of a possible 9 points of Spd when his Spd Growth Rate was 36% for 5 of those Levels, 44% for 3 of those Levels and 50% for the last Level

Not sure if you just want to find your odds out of an interest in probability, but if you're looking for how many stats he should have gained in that amount of growth, then to get averages you just need to divide the growth rate by 100 and multiply it by the number of levels. So...

0.36*5=1.8

0.44*3 = 1.32

0.5*1= 0.5 

1.8+1.32+0.5=3.62

So in other words he should gain 3/4 points of speed in that many levels with those growths. So if you managed to get 6 points then you've been reasonably lucky.