Would you try bear meat? Do you think Frederick would enjoy Japanese bear meat?

XRay

Saw this video on YouTube, and they say bear meat looks and kind of smells like beef. I am pretty sure they are eating wild bear meat, but they do not mention anything about the meat being gamey. Have you tried bear meat before? Is it gamey? Is it gamier than lamb? They tasted the bear meat at around the 8:30 mark in the video.

If Frederick from Awakening visited the real world, I think he might enjoy Japanese bear meat since it does not seem to be gamey.

Oh, and yeah, I would definitely try bear meat. I would probably avoid the organs and stuff as usual for most animals, but I would not mind trying the meat of most animals.

Edited by XRay

There's two different bear types in Japan. So how gamey it is or isn't would depend on whether you're talking black or brown bear.

As for whether I'd eat it, I've eaten Jellyfish and Pig Brains, and would have eaten a donkey's dick if they weren't charging such a high price for it. Only land animal I wouldn't try eating is something endangered. Though I never quite found the courage to eat the insects they were selling on the streets of Thailand.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Though I never quite found the courage to eat the insects they were selling on the streets of Thailand.

We have insects packaged in small snack boxes here in America, although it is seen more as a novelty item, so you will find it in novelty stores and adult party stores rather than in regular grocery stores.

They taste pretty good. I have tried mealworms for sure, and I think I also tried either scorpion, crickets, or something with legs.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

We have insects packaged in small snack boxes here in America, although it is seen more as a novelty item, so you will find it in novelty stores and adult party stores rather than in regular grocery stores.

They taste pretty good. I have tried mealworms for sure, and I think I also tried either scorpion, crickets, or something with legs.

If it were packaged in a super market or restaurant I'd probably be more willing, but it is a novelty in Thailand too, and more of the touristy kind, so it comes like this

A Guide to Eating Insects in Phuket - Phuket's Edible Bugs

Just dumped in a tray like that does not come across as appealing to me. No actual restaurants had any interest in serving this "delicacy". So I think their main revenue comes from curious tourists on the busiest street in the city rather than being active and genuine local cuisine.

I don't think I would unless I was really hungry.  My dad has had bear meat and told me stories about it a lot as a kid and he kept going on and on about it being greasy and I am not found of greasy meat so I think I will leave it to others.

Edited by EricaofRenais

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Though I never quite found the courage to eat the insects they were selling on the streets of Thailand.

*Offers you some Cambodian fried tarantulas & huhu grubs from New Zealand*

On the topic of bear meat, the most recent video game I've been playing lets you prepare bear sushi. Not sure what gave the game that idea.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*Offers you some Cambodian fried tarantulas & huhu grubs from New Zealand*

On the topic of bear meat, the most recent video game I've been playing lets you prepare bear sushi. Not sure what gave the game that idea.

I like your profile picture!

If the Awakening kids are subsisting on a diet of bear meat in the bleak future, I imagine COs from Days of Ruin are also dining on bear meat every now and then.

33 minutes ago, XRay said:

I like your profile picture!

If the Awakening kids are subsisting on a diet of bear meat in the bleak future, I imagine COs from Days of Ruin are also dining on bear meat every now and then.

Thanks! Lin is my favorite of the DoR cast. Although I'm not sure about bear meat existing in DoR, the meteors eradicated cows from the planet, the ending said they came back because Caulder had their DNA catalogued and cloning equipment, there is a possibility bears didn't survive. Yet, as there are still plenty of intact woods, I'd be inclined to think some bears endured.

And, a bear food factoid I just remembered. If thou must eat a polar bear, either to put the species out of the misery we're inflicting on it, or to live to see another day yourself and in repentance spend the rest of your life dedicated to the assistance of the great furry white species of the Arctic north, there is one thing to definitely not forget. DO NOT eat polar bear liver! The vitamin A or C concentration, I can't recall which, is soooooooo high, that you'd soon see all your skin suddenly start peeling off. Might be something that could kill you.

I mean, I might try human if it wasn't illegal. In fact, something being illegal isn't always enough to stop me.

And, a bear food factoid I just remembered. If thou must eat a polar bear, either to put the species out of the misery we're inflicting on it, or to live to see another day yourself and in repentance spend the rest of your life dedicated to the assistance of the great furry white species of the Arctic north, there is one thing to definitely not forget. DO NOT eat polar bear liver! The vitamin A or C concentration, I can't recall which, is soooooooo high, that you'd soon see all your skin suddenly start peeling off. Might be something that could kill you.

Got it, I'll request polar bear in prison for my last meal after I get put on death row for killing and eating humans.

10 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

I mean, I might try human if it wasn't illegal. In fact, something being illegal isn't always enough to stop me.

Got it, I'll request polar bear in prison for my last meal after I get put on death row for killing and eating humans.

Cannibalism isn't specifically illegal in most of the world. Of course murder is super illegal everywhere, and you could be done for desecration of a corpse, but the act itself of eating human isn't illegal. I guess it you're really curious you should be perfectly within your rights to cut off your own hand and give it a nibble.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:57 AM, Jotari said:

Cannibalism isn't specifically illegal in most of the world. Of course murder is super illegal everywhere, and you could be done for desecration of a corpse, but the act itself of eating human isn't illegal. I guess it you're really curious you should be perfectly within your rights to cut off your own hand and give it a nibble.

Not a bad idea, but I'm too much of a wuss. I doubt I could actually cut it off, I'd probably need someone to do it for me. And if I did that, I'd probably have to give some of it up as a matter of fairness.

I used to chew on my lip, and boy was the blood delicious.