Special Heroes - Dark Desert Rituals

Jave

Wow, the fanservice is pretty strong in this one.

Spoiler

I mean, look at that friggin' six-pack on Raph!

Also M!Kris is the freebie.

Edited by Jave

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the first hamonic banner with 3 games on it instead of just 2 (if that's not the case I'm sure I'll be bombarded with replies correcting me)? And its an Awakening themed banner with only 1 Awakening unit? Dorthea gets two seasonal alts before making it to the main summoning pool? Reins being tossed at us left right and centre? Debuff doubler weapons (which I'm sure F!Ike loves the existence of)?

Very weird banner. 

Nice! Dancers/Singers are draining my wallet though. Hopefully they do not release too many of them in the future.

DDR!Dorothea seems to be the only really noteworthy one.

DDR!Katarina is flier rather than infantry, so she is missing out on the Blazing nuke builds.

DDR!Tharja is okay.

DDR!Raphael is probably okay too depending on his Atk stat.

Edited by XRay

So we have a Plegian themed banner but it only has one character from Awakening actually in the event. Not that it bothers me since I am not a fan of the Dark Mage attire from Awakening I just find it amusing. I also find it funny that Dorothea has two seasonal alts before her normal variant got put in Heroes. I'm happy to see Raphael here. I always kind of assumed if he was going to be added to Heroes it would be on a seasonal banner. Banner's a skip for me since I find the TT unit the more interesting once again since Kris is wielding axes just like when I play New Mystery of the Emblem. I have been waiting for a new axe cavalry to use in this game besides Frederick.

I, uh ... I mean. I personally don't really like this banner. The fodder is nice. I'm okay with the character choices except for Tharja, while I'm mostly confused about Dorothea getting two alts before showing up in regular form. I'm not just sure if Plegia in itself warranted its own theme. But I didn't really like any of these new random "seasonal" banners either, so I guess I wasn't going to be happy about it either way. Also, the three female characters are 5-star locked mages on pegasi while the banner male is a physical armor unit and the TT+ male is a physical cavalry unit. IS, why are you allergic to making males flying mages (besides Reinhardt), or just making them mages in general?

However, I will happily take the orbs and use them to spark on the Thracia banner.

With the Plegians guess I guess thinking it could've been Poe was for naught. Ah well.

5 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

I think this is the first hamonic banner with 3 games on it instead of just 2 (if that's not the case I'm sure I'll be bombarded with replies correcting me)?

Well, let me be the first, heh. No, it's just two. Three Houses and Genealogy. If you thought it was due to Lene, then no, she appears only in Genealogy.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

With the Plegians guess I guess thinking it could've been Poe was for naught. Ah well.

Well, let me be the first, heh. No, it's just two. Three Houses and Genealogy. If you thought it was due to Lene, then no, she appears only in Genealogy.

I don't think that's what they meant.

The Harmonic is from two separate games, but on the banner itself is Tharja from Awakening in addition to the 3H Raphael and Dorothea. If you want to count Lene, then Genealogy as well. TT+ has Kris, from New Mystery. You could argue that four different games are represented here.

Oh wow, this looks sweet. Glad to be able to easily pick up Raphael and Kris M, especially with Raphael having a rare movement type and Kris M being arguably my last missing lord.

Harmonic Dorothea looks great, too. Not the most novel Harmonic effect, it seems to be just a shield version of Tiki's, but still, making the dance effect available to another game is nice. And it means I can pick up a 3H dancer (and Dorothea as a character, for that matter) without bothering with her summer version! New top of my most wanted characters list, definitely going to try for her. I'm low on orbs so I'm not sure how well it'll go, but it's worth a shot, even without anything fancy going on. And Lene along with her!

Katarina doesn't have anything I'm looking for, but still, it's neat for her to get an alt. Tharja, on the other hand, gets her third regular seasonal, which I still say is a complete waste. Very happy with the banner overall, though. The theme is pretty out of left field, but it's neat in its own right.

5 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

I think this is the first hamonic banner with 3 games on it instead of just 2 (if that's not the case I'm sure I'll be bombarded with replies correcting me)? And its an Awakening themed banner with only 1 Awakening unit? Dorthea gets two seasonal alts before making it to the main summoning pool? Reins being tossed at us left right and centre? Debuff doubler weapons (which I'm sure F!Ike loves the existence of)?

Very weird banner. 

All Harmonic banners so far have had 3+ games represented, this one actually has 4. (Genealogy, New Mystery, Awakening, and Three Houses.) The pirates banner actually represented 6 different games, each character from a different one.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Nice! Dancers/Singers are draining my wallet though. Hopefully they do not release too many of them in the future.

If you're hoping against releases of the thing you want because of feeling obligated to spend money on it, that might be a sign that you could benefit from revising your approach.

Well, I was spot on for the theme. I only managed to call Tharja, though. I...don't think I've ever been this disappointed with a banner, sad to say. They had such a good theme...and so many characters who would fit perfectly within that theme, especially with how long it's been since they've really given Awakening some love. Wow...

Plus, oh my gosh the steriotypes. It's like they're saying ALL Plegians are Grimleal with that whole "these are Plegian clothes!" with Grima's symbol everywhere. Wow. I'm kind of speechless.

This whole theme, and only Tharja really fits it. They could have put Henry, Aversa, or Gangrel in and it would have made much more sense, but I can't believe they neglected Robin, Morgan and VALIDAR for this theme. Instead we have...Rafiel and Dorothea from 3H (neither of which are particularly "dark magic" ish), Katarina and I think Kris from FE12 (maybe Katarina founded Plegia or something?), and Lene (I think) as the sole representative from FE4. It's so...eclectic. Like, why? Especially with such a specific theme that really could have celebrated one of FE's cultures.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but wow this seems like a missed opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

If you're hoping against releases of the thing you want because of feeling obligated to spend money on it, that might be a sign that you could benefit from revising your approach.

I cannot help it. Dancers/Singers are like my favorite type of units in the game.

Well, I knew the girl was Tharja from the silhouettes but not that Raphael was the guy. That's cool. And the theme is Plegia clothing, that's pretty unique (and they dodge a bullet with not putting Plegia Micaiah, I can't get over how odd her art looks on that Einherjar card). The general theme of the weapons seems to be some sort of inverse Unity skills, and with how prominent debuffs are these days they can be quite disgusting and B!Hector's value keeps rising, I see. 

Anyways, let's see how these guys fare: 

P!Tharja is the token "more fodder than unit" of the banner. She'll probably have good Atk/Spd, passable Res and eh Hp/Def. Her fodder is a bit on the niche side as we don't have all that many Flying mages/dragons but it's still pretty nice. Tentative 7.5/10. 

P!Katarina is also kinda niche in terms of fodder. while not much of an upgrade over the tier 3 version, Atk/Spd Solo 4 is an incredible skill that's slightly better than Swift Sparrow 3 because the condition to use it is incredibly easy to meet and gives 1 more Atk. As a unit she seems to be a little more balanced than Tharja, which means still high Atk/Spd but not as much as P!Tharja in order to have very high Res and passable HP. Def is probably pathetic. Tentative 8/10. 

So P!Raphael is an armor and the 4* focus. He's going to be min maxed to hell and back, with high Hp/Atk/Def and horrible Spd/Res, I'm almost 100% sure about this. Fodder wise he only offers his Bow, which can be pretty disgusting under the right circumstances but it's a little hard to setup. Being a ranged armor isn't all that great nowadays when infantry rules the meta and NFU shuts down any Brave Bow+Bold Fighter strats so eh. Tentative 4.5~5.5/10

And the star of the banner is our newest Harmonic pair, Dorothea (really, two alts before the OG? Well, I don't really care tbh.) & Lene. So they break the mold from the other 3 and rather than having a reverse Unity skill, their Prf has some sort of Chill on steroids if I'm reading the description correctly. Atk/Spd Rein is great fodder as it is one of the most splashable Rein skills, although it falls short for more specialized units. The impact is eh, it might come in handy for AR-D, tho. The harmonized skill is practically the same think as the one Tiki & Ninian have so nothing new there, although it is more of a mirror to Duo Peony because it's a dancer that can do two dances in one turn, the harmonized skill also has better range than the Duo skill but this comes at the cost of being more restrictive. There's also the BST stuff, but that's just for Arena and the like. Stats are: 37/38/35/16/26. Glass cannon stats which isn't all that good for a dancer. Oh well, still a great unit. 9/10

3 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Well, I was spot on for the theme. I only managed to call Tharja, though. I...don't think I've ever been this disappointed with a banner, sad to say. They had such a good theme...and so many characters who would fit perfectly within that theme, especially with how long it's been since they've really given Awakening some love. Wow...

Plus, oh my gosh the steriotypes. It's like they're saying ALL Plegians are Grimleal with that whole "these are Plegian clothes!" with Grima's symbol everywhere. Wow. I'm kind of speechless.

I mean, it's not like Awakening itself did much of a better job. It basically treated everyone in that nation as if they were all cultists. 

The good: More Tharja and Dorothea! Also RAPHAEL!

The bad: For a Plegian banner, this was pretty light on actual Plegians - We have Gangrel, Tharja, Noire, Henry, Robin, Morgan via Robin, Aversa, Grima, Mustafa, and Validar. I can accept this if this is going to be an annual banner going forward, but if not, this was kind of a waste. 

The Salty: Dorothea has TWO Alts while Marianne doesn't even have ONE. 

The Lost Hopes: My hopes of a Tharja/Dorothea Harmonic Duo has been dashed...oh well...at least I still have Tharja/Azura

The Speculation: I have a tinfoil theory this banner was meant to be a sort of Summer Part 2 thing, given that all of the units (minus Dorothea) haven't had summer alts yet. But they couldn't very well do that over again, so they did a sort of "Christmas in July" thing and used the Plegian desert as an excuse. 

All of that said, I'm still pulling for Tharja and hopefully Dorothea. 

8 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I mean, it's not like Awakening itself did much of a better job. It basically treated everyone in that nation as if they were all cultists. 

I disagree. Sure, dark magic is prevalent there, but out of the handful of Plegians we get to see, there are certainly non-Grimleal represented (Gangrel and his army, for example.) We only see so many Grimleal because of Validar and his plotline being so connected to a main character (Robin.)

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

I cannot help it. Dancers/Singers are like my favorite type of units in the game.

If you're hoping IS will limit their releases of your favorite units because you know you should limit your spending but can't manage the self control to do it without their help, it sounds like that's something you might want to work on.

I don't know why I got excited that Kris was an Axe Caviler. I wonder If he'll be a better long term investment than Walhart, who probably isn't getting a refine until end of the year. Dorothea with a Heroe's first of getting two alts before her base version. I'm kind of tempted for this banner, but I should wait for the Mythic banner.

8 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

This whole theme, and only Tharja really fits it. They could have put Henry, Aversa, or Gangrel in and it would have made much more sense, but I can't believe they neglected Robin, Morgan and VALIDAR for this theme.

2 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

The bad: For a Plegian banner, this was pretty light on actual Plegians - We have Gangrel, Tharja, Noire, Henry, Robin, Morgan via Robin, Aversa, Grima, Mustafa, and Validar. I can accept this if this is going to be an annual banner going forward, but if not, this was kind of a waste. 

I think it's better when the banners are a little more creative than just using all obvious choices

1 minute ago, Alexmender said:

P!Katarina is also kinda niche in terms of fodder. while not much of an upgrade over the tier 3 version, Atk/Spd Solo 4 is an incredible skill that's slightly better than Swift Sparrow 3 because the condition to use it is incredibly easy to meet and gives 1 more Atk. As a unit she seems to be a little more balanced than Tharja, which means still high Atk/Spd but not as much as P!Tharja in order to have very high Res and passable HP. Def is probably pathetic. Tentative 8/10. 

Blows are easier to use than Solos in my opinion. Solos do not work well in cramped maps, and I think losing 1 Atk is not as big of a punishment as having positioning requirements.

3 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

So P!Raphael is an armor and the 4* focus. He's going to be min maxed to hell and back, with high Hp/Atk/Def and horrible Spd/Res, I'm almost 100% sure about this. Fodder wise he only offers his Bow, which can be pretty disgusting under the right circumstances but it's a little hard to setup. Being a ranged armor isn't all that great nowadays when infantry rules the meta and NFU shuts down any Brave Bow+Bold Fighter strats so eh. Tentative 4.5~5.5/10

Being a colorless bow armor actually is not bad. Firesweep-Bold Fighter-Armored Boots gives the armor unit better movement and offensive power compared to colorless bow infantry, and Null Follow-Up is not that common. The only downside to colorless bow armor is their incompatibility with Wings of Mercy due to the strict HP requirement of Armored Boots, but if you are just using the armor in Arena Assault or Arena, then it is no big deal.

This is a very wacky banner. And a very misused banner.

The only character that actually make sense is Tharja and she is ALREADY a plegian. Raphael, Dorothea and Lene are out of place. And Katarina and Kris aren't exactly out of place, but I hope they mention the evolution of their homeland over the years.

17 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

This whole theme, and only Tharja really fits it. They could have put Henry, Aversa, or Gangrel in and it would have made much more sense, but I can't believe they neglected Robin, Morgan and VALIDAR for this theme. 

Or what they could have done is use other characters from Awakening who aren't Plegian. Basically they would dive into a different culture.

Like Chrom, who would probably rip his own outfit by accident because it's too fragile for him. And he would be uncomfortable using magic since he can't never use it in Awakening.

Or Dark mage Robin, who can actually reclass into one.

Maybe even Khan Basilio, who would be just here for ale and doesn't care being dress as a Plegian.

Or maybe have Kellam here comment that he hopes he gets finally notice by dressing up as a Plegian.

The possibility are there.

Edited by Nym

10 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

I think it's better when the banners are a little more creative than just using all obvious choices

To each their own, but for me it's less about who's obvious and more about who makes sense/who I'd like to see in a particular theme.