Special Heroes - Dark Desert Rituals

Jave

It's possible that the Grimleal religion is just forced upon the people by the state (since Validar is king) and people don't have a choice but to worship it.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

It's possible that the Grimleal religion is just forced upon the people by the state (since Validar is king) and people don't have a choice but to worship it.

True. Gives a new meaning to the old "inevitability of death and taxes"- either of those two threat could get the masses to flip quickly.

But why resort to that explanation, when I like overthinking things that don't need to be overthought?😄  

Stats [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

h7i053rvq0c61.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Dorothea & Lene
Super Asset(s): Atk
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def, Res

Katarina
Super Asset(s): nothing
Super Flaw(s): everything except Atk

Tharja
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP

Raphael
Super Asset(s): Atk
Super Flaw(s): Spd
*Odd Follow-Up 3 is the 4* unlock.

M!Kris
Super Asset(s): a matching nothing to go with his girlfriend's nothing
Super Flaw(s): HP
*Chill Atk 3 is the 4* unlock.

Oh and yes, M!Kris does indeed completely powercreep groom Marth (40/31/36/30/20) in case anyone was wondering.

Edited by Tybrosion

4 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I should be clearer: worshipping someone purely for the sake of them destroying the world, then saying everyone who does that comes from a certain demographic is what I (and I assume Mercakete) meant.

Nope. Inverse. I assume that there are worshippers of Grima from various demographics. What I meant was that things that are clearly Grimleal in design (that is, it uses symbols of that faith) are called "Plegian," as though they are not faith-related, but nationality-related. Just like how not all Japanese people are Shintoists (though a great many at least noncommittally are), but Shintoism is a Japanese faith (and there are others who follow it from outside of Japan), not all Plegians are Grimleal, and their symbols and such should be appropriately labeled. The weapons and attire (and celebration on the whole, id it's "dark rituals") are Grimleal, not Plegian.

@Sunwoo

Did Validar take over after Gangrel? I was under the impression that he was never a king, but was simply a high priest of the Grimleal faith.

In reaction to the stats:

Spoiler

Ouch. Yep; male units getting the HP/Atk/Def without Res continues. Kris has fair speed, but poor Raphael... Also, I feel a bit bad for Katarina. All those superbanes...

In reaction to the vid:

Sooooo dancers want to dance. ....... They're...not going to talk about anything deeper, huh? That was...extremely vanilla... Also, they're wearing the same thing as each other. I don't think I mentioned this before, but they could have been a little creative with that instead of...well, this. Oh well. It is what it is and I'm not pulling for them anyway.

Chapter 13 of Awakening explicitly calls Validar the new king of Plegia. Well, he calls himself "king regnant" whatever that technicality is supposed to mean.

Edited by Sunwoo

10 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Chapter 13 of Awakening explicitly calls Validar the new king of Plegia. Well, he calls himself "king regnant" whatever that technicality is supposed to mean.

A regent is someone who acts as a ruler until an official ruler can take his or her rightful place. So, basically, he was a placeholder king, not an official one.

After reading up on these guys from Sharena's Meet the Heroes section, I feel a little better about this banner. I was also able to take in the flowier parts of the costumes, and appreciate the colors they chose and the designs they implemented. That said, Dorothea, Lene, and Tharja's outfits are too risque for my tastes, and I think they take away from the beautiful, flowing fabrics used here. They could have still used the mesh/nylon, too, without making it...the main fabric.

Basically, I think they had good direction, but then it kind of got jumbled up and became unflattering. Again, missed opportunity, though it was one that started back in Awakening, so...

Anyway, reading up on what Sharena had to say, I understand the character choices a bit better and am more okay with them.

If they bring back this theme, I hope they include Corrin (especially M!Corrin) partially to see how Tharja reacts, and partially because Corrin would fit right in with the lack of footwear. If they go with something more serious, I would still like to see Robin's family here. Or at least Robin. M!Robin + M!Corrin would be interesting. (The fem versions already get a bunch of attention, so let's give the guys some.) They could be a harmonized unit. I wonder if they would break Tharja's mind...

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

A regent is someone who acts as a ruler until an official ruler can take his or her rightful place. So, basically, he was a placeholder king, not an official one.

Regent is not the same thing as Regnant though.

Regnant literally means to rule one's own realm - so in the case of King Regnant, that's a king who rules his own kingdom.

Queen Regnant is a more common term in rl though, and it's used to differentiate between a Queen Regent and Queen Consort, to essentially mark that a Queen Regnant is always ruling her own kingdom, not holding regency over another's. For instance, Queen Elizabeth the II of the UK is a Queen Regnant, not a Queen holding regency.

12 minutes ago, Tactician_Iris said:

Regent is not the same thing as Regnant though.

Regnant literally means to rule one's own realm - so in the case of King Regnant, that's a king who rules his own kingdom.

Queen Regnant is a more common term in rl though, and it's used to differentiate between a Queen Regent and Queen Consort, to essentially mark that a Queen Regnant is always ruling her own kingdom, not holding regency over another's. For instance, Queen Elizabeth the II of the UK is a Queen Regnant, not a Queen holding regency.

I see. Sorry; I must have misread that, then. Thanks for the clarification.

So, I guess Validar kind of took over Plegia after Gangrel was er...dethroened. Ylisse really should have occupied that place and helped it get back on its feat before leaving it to its own again.

3 hours ago, Mercakete said:
Spoiler

Ouch. Yep; male units getting the HP/Atk/Def without Res continues. Kris has fair speed, but poor Raphael... Also, I feel a bit bad for Katarina. All those superbanes...

Spoilers because stats.

Spoiler

I think DDR!Raphael came out really well. He has the highest Atk out of all colorless bow armors, and that is the only stat that matters in my opinion. In exchange for Armored Boots not working with Wings of Mercy, Raphael has better normal mobility compared to infantry with Armored Boots (not slowed down by forests), vastly superior offensive power compared to infantry Firesweepers (Bold Fighter basically means infinite Spd and triggering Ruptured Sky/Moonbows during every round of combat), and much better protection (you do not have to worry about Vantage). Not working with Wings of Mercy is a huge problem for difficult maps, but if you are just clearing Arena Assault or something like that, not working with Wings of Mercy is not a huge deal.

As for DDR!Katarina, or any player phase or Counter-Vantage unit, HP super Flaw is a good thing. Getting into HP range easier is pretty valuable for consistency. And for player phas units, -Def/Res super Flaws are not really a big deal since they are not meant to tank things anyways, and while it is not as good as -HP, it is still good for getting into HP range a bit easier due to lower bulk.

Edited by XRay

On 1/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, Tybrosion said:

Well, this is quite the odd duck of a banner but that isn't a bad thing. Also, I guess Harmonics are just going to be pretty much impossible to guess if they're going with out of nowhere pairings like Dorothea and Lene (the latter not being a popular character at all).

I'm sorry, but IS snubbing Validar of all characters should not be a surprise in any way. Awakening barely gets anything these days as is, so there was zero chance they were going to throw a bone to the game's second least popular character especially as a seasonal.

I don't think Dorlene is an out of nowhere pairing as you may think. Certainly not as much out of nowhere as Lucina + Mia and Tiki + Ninian. Three Houses devs have stated that FE4 was a huge inspiration for Genealogy, so the games are connected. Looking at Lene's backstory, she's an orphan who grew up on the streets and was able to turn herself into the most popular entertainer in town due to her talent and sheer determination to survive. She feels insecure about her lack of parentage and desperately seeks the concept of family. Lene also has had bad experiences with nobility and the upper class due to her parentage potentially being noble as well as being objectified by the upper class during her job as an entertainer. Lene has spunky and flirty disposition, but underneath the surface is a troubled and pragmatic individual. If that doesn't sound like Dorothea to you, I don't know what to tell you. I find them very similar personality-wise, so I really hope the writers dig deeper than "I like to dance!" "Me too!"

On 1/16/2021 at 10:23 PM, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, M!Kris has a total of 5,721 CYL votes (culminating with him placing 98th in CYL4).

Lene.....only has 610 votes total and her highest placement was 435th in CYL3. Yet, she’s here anyways while Seliph, Leif and Julia (among others) have no seasonal appearances.

Are Fallen Banners not considered seasonal?

Nevermind I checked and it doesn't seem to be seasonal. 

So this means Lene is the first FE4G2 character with a seasonal alt. Not who I expected at all tbh, since she was one of the most forgotten Genealogy characters before her first inclusion in FEH. Someone on the team must like her, because they could've used Phina or Olivia for this banner as well. Granted, Lene is the most like Dorothea but I wonder what other kind of banner they could've been on instead.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:41 PM, Sunwoo said:

Lene may only have 610 votes total, but she has something that Seliph and Leif will never have, and that's all that matters to the devs.

Julia, while being more popular, is dressed more conservatively. Lene is someone they can just ... you know, have flaunt her stuff. This Harmonic's art makes me almost as uncomfortable as Duo Byleth's did.

It kind of makes me uncomfortable how FEH is treating Lene as the "sexy girl" of Genealogy, given her lore.

7 hours ago, Jave said:

A little disappointed this didn't delve deeper into what these characters are REALLY about, but it was still a sweet conversation nevertheless. Hoping their level 40 convo is much more nuanced.

Plegian Kris +10 very soon.... 🙂

I love his character, his cute and noble heart boy ❤️

Too love Female Kris, I missing her, but I hope an cute alter for my f!Kris

I don't existence plegian fenale kris, but i draw....

(her support say that she can shown a cute and shy expression..)

and... i failed... +150 orbs for 2 pitybreak, I sorry plegian Katarina...

971985AA-D81F-48E6-862A-2B5F073ECFBF.png

430044D8-4A5F-4359-B911-C12CA1B98419.png

Edited by kurito

This banner has both cursed and blessed me: Two Alt Dorotheas, Alt Katerina, and Caineghis for five stars, Two Raphaels, a Tharja, and like five Raths for four stars. All I really wanted was the new Alt Dorothea, Raphael, and Alt Tharja...

Vanilla Tharja was going to be my first +10 unit, and then I accidentally messed that up, merging her with my 5* version, and now all of these Raths are taking up my feathers. 

And now I've whaled twice...sigh...at least I don't plan on eating any fast food for the next couple of months, so it's not like I'm spending money I don't have...

13 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Vanilla Tharja was going to be my first +10 unit, and then I accidentally messed that up, merging her with my 5* version, and now all of these Raths are taking up my feathers. 

It is not possible to merge regular Tharja with DDR!Tharja. They are considered to be separate Heroes, and separate Heroes cannot be merged with each other.

28 minutes ago, XRay said:

It is not possible to merge regular Tharja with DDR!Tharja. They are considered to be separate Heroes, and separate Heroes cannot be merged with each other.

I'm aware. I haven't pulled DDR!Tharja yet. I pulled a 4* regular Tharja for a +10 project I'm working on and fused the 4* version with the 5* regular version I have. 

32 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I'm aware. I haven't pulled DDR!Tharja yet. I pulled a 4* regular Tharja for a +10 project I'm working on and fused the 4* version with the 5* regular version I have. 

Ah, okay. I misunderstood your previous comment.

7 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I don't think Dorlene is an out of nowhere pairing as you may think. Certainly not as much out of nowhere as Lucina + Mia and Tiki + Ninian. Three Houses devs have stated that FE4 was a huge inspiration for Genealogy, so the games are connected. Looking at Lene's backstory, she's an orphan who grew up on the streets and was able to turn herself into the most popular entertainer in town due to her talent and sheer determination to survive. She feels insecure about her lack of parentage and desperately seeks the concept of family. Lene also has had bad experiences with nobility and the upper class due to her parentage potentially being noble as well as being objectified by the upper class during her job as an entertainer. Lene has spunky and flirty disposition, but underneath the surface is a troubled and pragmatic individual. If that doesn't sound like Dorothea to you, I don't know what to tell you. I find them very similar personality-wise, so I really hope the writers dig deeper than "I like to dance!" "Me too!"

Yeah, I'm aware that they do have plenty of common ground that goes well beyond their mutual love for performing. Too bad Lene will almost certainly not show up in Dorothea's eventual Forging Bonds because IS loves limiting the Three Houses ones (the CYL4 one being the only exception) to just the Askr trio and the brick wall they call a summoner.

That said, I still would've never thought that they'd make this an actual Harmonized unit because Dorothea is still without a base version and Lene, as I already brought up, is exceptionally unpopular for a character with an alt (Darros is the only character with an alt who has less CYL votes [557] than Lene).