What Was You Favorite New Band/Artist You Discovered in 2020

Captain Karnage

So yeah, 2020 was a pretty bad year for all of us

it kind of sucked that we really didn't have any concerts or music fests.

so while a lot of us have been stuck at home, we've probably listened to a lot more music than we regularly do. As for me I discovered The Hu this year

so who'd you discover this year?

Even though I only knew them because of one song, I'ma still say The Growlers. I started listening to Love Test in late 2019, but didn't get really into them until November of 2020. Almost a whole year later. Now I listen to all of Chinese Fountain, with Purgatory Drive, Rare Hearts, and Going Gets Tough being personal favorites. Now I'm on my way to listen to more of their albums. They're a nice change of pace, considering most of my music is pretty punk -_-

Oh and Daft Punk, too. Around the World is a banger.

Edit: I just realized title said favourite band. Tough shit, I like them all. Its definitely between Will Wood, Mother Mother, Belle & Sebastian, Bahamas and Dodie though.

Mother Mother - Ghosting is one of the best songs I have heard. Absolutely loved to stumble upon that one. Their other songs are pretty good too (although I have to be honest Ghosting is the only one i listen to regularly).

Will Wood - Memento Mori: The most important thing in the world is my anthem and I only found it like a month or 2 ago. Absolutely amazing song. His other songs are really good and the lyrics I feel are well thought out.

Fred Radix and Micheline Dax for when i want to practice whistling

Dodie and Bahamas also get mentions, their sound is pretty great. And Bahamas killed it with his Sad Hunk album.

And I don't want to make this too big, but

Belle & Sebastian, Cavetown, Vulfpeck, Ace of Hearts, Tally Hall

Edited by Zanarkin

Well, in terms of video games, I found the Yakuza series, which has a quite a few bangers.

Spoiler

And although this last one is more because of the story that goes along with it...It still slaps. Might be my favourite.

Spoiler

Aside from that, found a few composers of classical music that I really love now; primarily Dvorak, but also a bit of Wagner and Strauss as well.

Can I list an entire genre?  I found out that I like electric guitars and Christmas music at the same time.  Enter Christmas metal.  I don't know how appropriate the music videos would be for this site, though.

I'm 90% sure I discovered Bring Me the Horizon in 2019, but if I did discover them in 2020, they tie with Band-Maid. I discovered Band-Maid in late 2020 (early November), and I've loved nearly every song I've heard by them. I've been listening to their album CONQUEROR on repeat and I just bought Unseen World today. It's phenomenal. I'm slowly working my way through their older stuff, but their more modern stuff is phenomenal. 

Favorite songs by Band-Maid: Liberal, Domination, Azure, Catharsis, Blooming, Reincarnation, and Different 

EDIT: From their new album that just released today, "Warning!" No God, H-G-K, Sayonakidori, and I think Giovanni are my favorites. 

Bring Me the Horizon first came to my attention through a tweet by Linkin Park and/or Mike Shinoda. Then I heard a mashup of the two bands with Faint/Throne, and I listened to a couple of their singles, and I've liked them ever since. Their latest album Post-Human: Survival Horror tied with Band-Maid's CONQUEROR in my arbitrary "Best Album Listened to in 2020" contest (...which really wasn't' a contest...). Also 1x1 felt like what many Linkin Park fans wanted "Heavy" to be. 

Admittedly, I'm a larger fan of BMTH's more modern stuff than their older stuff from what I've heard. But I still consider learning about them a blast. 

Favorite songs by BMTH: Throne, Drown, Run, Can You Feel My Heart, Parasite Eve, Itch for the Cure, and One Day the Only Butterflies Left Will Be In Your Chest As You March Towards Your Death.

Other than them, I enjoyed discovering Meet Me @ the Altar, an all girl alt-rock band. The black lead vocalist and Paramore sound are what sold me on them, and I really hope their career takes off.

Gesu no Kiwami Otome was a great late discovery too. Their style is different from the other bands, but I really enjoy it. "Jinsei no Hari" was one of my top songs of 2020. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

You meant only music artist, not digital drawning artist right ? Most of my favourite music are Lo-fi, Chill, Jazz, Romance, Instrumental music. Those kind of songs always remind me of good memories in the past.  Last year 2020  I found Kudasai . He is one of my favourite artists now.

In the memory of Nujables. Please allow me to intruduce my favourite song of him named Mystine.

Spoiler

Edited by Hasechi

For mainstream artists, I discovered Chloe x Halle, who do Pop RBnB style songs. Halle is also the girl playing Ariel in the upcoming live action Little Mermaid for those interesting.

Now for something the people of this sub might be interested in, I discovered this fun little genre called Bardcore. It's best explained by linking a bardcore cover of a song.

"Thine Hips Doth Not Tell A Falsehood."

I discovered First to Eleven last year, they've been around for a while longer, but 2020 is when I first found them. They're currently in my playlists a lot.

Also shoutout to Voiceplay, an acapella group I found in 2020, they're unbelievably amazing.

Rosemary Fairweather was an artist that I discovered back in April or May last year, and this song has probably become my favorite of all time. It bops in a way that I never knew songs could bop in. The instrumentation of this song is absolutely unreal to me, and it especially hits different at night in the summer when I'm driving. I love it's sort of beachside summer vibes. I'm sure I've expressed these sentiments before somewhere, but I love this song to bits.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:31 AM, Captain Karnage said:

Trump lost and the right went into meltdown mode, what was bad about that?

Anyway, on a somewhat related note:

Paula White's Re-Election Prayer For Donald Trump Ft. Lil KC REMIX - WTFBRAHH - YouTube

You’re a Loser, Donald Trump (Hallelujah Song Parody) Trump Loses - YouTube

Someone really needs to give Paula White a recording contract.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

42 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Trump lost and the right went into meltdown mode, what was bad about that?

Trump wasn't the only bad thing in 2020. There was this other inconvenience called a pandemic. I dare even say, as a not-American, the pandemic had a bigger negative effect on the world than Trump did.

But to keep the music going:

On 1/20/2021 at 9:31 AM, Captain Karnage said:

so while a lot of us have been stuck at home, we've probably listened to a lot more music than we regularly do. As for me I discovered The Hu this year

That's a very unique voice I've ever heard. But I think it lack the fire for those kind of songs. If he sings Godsmack - Voodoo, I think it would be the great cover. 

Edited by Hasechi

7 hours ago, Hasechi said:

That's a very unique voice I've ever heard. But I think it lack the fire for those kind of songs. If he sings Godsmack - Voodoo, I think it would be the great cover. 

That's a great idea

Does anyone on SF know Mongolian?

I got two I wanna shill:

KennyHoopla got pretty big this year, as a rap/emo/indie/alternative rock artist, and he does all of those things really well. 

KID DAD(< | >  >^>) is a German emo band with really unique hooks and sounds that hit me just right in 2020.

I also have two honorable mentions that I discovered in November of 2019 that I didn't get into super hard until last year:

MID CITY is just a good indie band with some very spacey sounds that I'm a sucker for.

Dogleg, an emo-punk band whose lyrics and vocals just resonated with me more than any other band in recent memory.

As you can tell from the songs I linked, 2020 was a rough fucking year for me.

20 hours ago, Slumber said:

I got two I wanna shill:

KennyHoopla got pretty big this year, as a rap/emo/indie/alternative rock artist, and he does all of those things really well. 

KID DAD(< | >  >^>) is a German emo band with really unique hooks and sounds that hit me just right in 2020.

I also have two honorable mentions that I discovered in November of 2019 that I didn't get into super hard until last year:

MID CITY is just a good indie band with some very spacey sounds that I'm a sucker for.

Dogleg, an emo-punk band whose lyrics and vocals just resonated with me more than any other band in recent memory.

As you can tell from the songs I linked, 2020 was a rough fucking year for me.

Links in texts . How can u do that ? Also I watched all those videos. And I think i like KID DAD the most. 

Edited by Hasechi

On 1/19/2021 at 9:31 PM, Captain Karnage said:

so who'd you discover this year?

If you like The Hu, I would highly recommend you check out some other Mongolian folk metal bands, namely Nine Treasures, Mongol, Ego Fall, and the OGs Tengger Cavalry. Nine Treasures is basically a Mongolian Korpiklaani with a slight punk influence, Mongol, Ego Fall, and Tengger Cavalry are a bit heavier, leaning more on the death metal side, though Ego Fall's Mask EP and Tengger Cavalry's last two albums are much lighter, but still pretty good.

As for me, I would say Imperial Circus Dead Decadence has became a new favourite band of mine that I discovered in 2020. The best way that I can sum them up is "epic anime death metal", but I'll let the music speak for itself on that one.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:51 PM, Hasechi said:

Links in texts . How can u do that ? Also I watched all those videos. And I think i like KID DAD the most. 

I think it's different on mobile, but on desktop, you can highlight text and then click the "link" in the editor above the message window, and you'll be able to put a url into text.