Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

On 1/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, IEatLasers said:

Chrom has no chance of winning. Even based on this poll he won’t win. 

but I am still stressed and sad, and still putting every vote I have for him 

Yeah it doesn't look good for him yet again. I too will still vote for him though. Hopefully one day.

I just hope we don't end up with 4 Three Houses characters again. I really like them don't get me wrong but I'd like more variety for this year.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

i actually like Fates Anna (mostly because whilei've done awakening... i don't remember anna there at all) LOL

however. since my votes are totally open - I don't mind voting Awakening Anna for you. i am mostly voting for alts this year. 

Wait really? I was kind of just joking since I assumed you would be voting for characters you liked such as Norne, Myrrh and Olivia but if you really don't mind sending a vote to Awakening Anna then thanks! Fates Anna is also my favorite design wise but most people who decide to vote for Anna in CYL have generally agreed to rally behind her Awakening variant since that is the one that always scores the highest.

21 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

As long as he wasn't clearly botted in (i.e. enough people are happy about him ranking high) I'd...actually like to see that. But that's the thing: being forced to sign in should stomp out botting but I remember the Jorge botter saying a mandatory sign-in could be worked around, which worries me. If anyone here is good with that sort of thing, what are your two cents on how secure CYL actually is after this change?

It's more of a thing with me not being a big fan of him. Many people seem to want him and that's enough reason to get him into the game.

Did the botter truly say this? I really hope they mind their business and don't ruin people's fun.

1 hour ago, GrandeRampel said:

Still it's not a perfect list. They excluded Sitri and Fleche for some stupid reasons (they are like the two important characters missing. And they have a portrait unlike the two saints that are secret bosses).

That's really weird, I would have thrown a vote for Sitri. So much for a Jeralt/Sitri Valentine's Duo next month.

I see Zelgius and Black Knight still have a split, I'm not sure which to put a vote towards. BK will probably score higher so probably that version, though I would like to Zelgius in his Begnion armour.

My faith in humanity is already low enough as it is. If the "ha ha, funny meme man" from Three Houses seriously wins, then expect me to go full Zephiel and never return.

But no really, a Gatekeeper (or any other meme pick except Gromell) win would be the only outcome that I'd outright hate.

14 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Gatekeeper is winning this, for sure. The part that's unclear is who he's gonna push out of the top 2.

Daniel

jokes aside, i was kinda mad at Gatekeeper's inclusion, as i don't understand how people are willing to "waste" votes just for memes (sure, this contest is far from serious, and everyone's allowed to do whatever they want with their 7 votes, but my mentality just can't accept it)

then, i realized that Gatekeeper might help split votes for 3H characters more evenly, resulting in lower positions

i hope this gives this CYL a chance not to be Brave Houses 2.0

I didn't find the gatekeeper interesting in 3H, and actually his voice annoyed me a bit. I never really got the meme about him, but hey if other people like him whatever floats their boat. But I wouldn't be thrilled at all if he somehow got top two on the men's side.

Edited by Sunwoo

7 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I don't like when "normal" characters like Dorcas, Jorge, etc. are made into memes for CYL. But characters like Gatekeeper, 3-13 archer, etc. are great. The unsung heroes of FE.

I'm the complete opposite. At least Dorcas is an actual playable character.

That said, Gatekeeper has more personality and dialogue than many playable characters do. So he isn't Brigand Boss levels of offensive.

Jorge wasn't a meme. He was botted, which is way worse.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

4 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

P. S.: Which top 20 btw? I was wondering the same thing for Limstella. If a character is supposed to be nonbinary or the gender is kept a secret... what happens in a strictly gendered competition like this one?

I wonder what happened with Brami since they're in the same(?) situation.  Brami didn't show up in CYL4, but they're in this one ...

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

I don't like when "normal" characters like Dorcas, Jorge, etc. are made into memes for CYL.

I don't think Dorcas counts as an entirely normal character in the west. After all...

''What happened to Dorcas?!'' 

That said, Gatekeeper has more personality and dialogue than many playable characters do. So he isn't Brigand Boss levels of offensive.

He probably has more lines than any Shadow Dragon except Marth, Malledus and Caeda. Probably more than a lot of Jugdral characters too.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Decided on Lara for my first vote. Might go with the 3 Lara, 3 Salem, 1 Linoan plan.

30 minutes ago, kradeelav said:

I wonder what happened with Brami since they're in the same(?) situation.  Brami didn't show up in CYL4, but they're in this one ...

I'm guessing they'd count Bramimond with the males and Limstella with the females. Which is irritating, but that's the result of making it work this way, I guess.

Flame Emperor is another weird situation, since counting them as female would undermine the whole premise of them being separate from Edelgard.

28 minutes ago, Othin said:

Flame Emperor is another weird situation, since counting them as female would undermine the whole premise of them being separate from Edelgard.

Again, IS already undermined that themselves with this:

Spoiler

EBjo2B5.jpg

Plus, old Hector and old Eliwood would’ve never been tallied together with their FE7 versions either (like every other character present in both 6 and 7 in this CYL) if both versions of either character were still present but both were removed anyways. 

Flame Emperor having a separate vote total is also not an excuse for them to still be here at all.

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Again, IS already undermined that themselves with this:

Hide contents

EBjo2B5.jpg

Plus, old Hector and old Eliwood would’ve never been tallied together with their FE7 versions either (like every other character present in both 6 and 7 in this CYL) if both versions of either character were still present but both were removed anyways. 

Flame Emperor having a separate vote total is also not an excuse for them to still be here at all.

I'm aware, it's just that that would make it even worse.

Edited by Othin

The Flame Emperor still being there while Masked Marth was removed from the pool when Lucina won is the more obvious "wtf". Edelgard spends about as much time being the Flame Emperor as Lucina spends being Masked Marth -- and their incognito forms have about as much significance (or lack thereof) so there isn't really a good reason for Flame Emperor not following in Masked Marth's footsteps.

On 1/21/2021 at 12:35 PM, GrandeRampel said:

Uhm... this is tough. On one hand it's incredible art, confirming once again that Ippei is talented and should really be given the opportunity to draw the OCs of book VI or something.

On the other hand he forgot that Dorothy has freckles, which is like forgetting about Naesala's unique nose (coffcoffthrowingshadecoff). 

This is just a doodle tho, he would probably draw a more detailed piece for the game. So I'm not against him drawing Dorothy, but honestly anyone can draw her as long as she gets in the game.

Except for the artists who can't help but make everything moe and cutesy.

Please for the love of Sothis keep the moeblob as far away from Dorothy as possible. It would look more out of place on her than Lachesis.

Tbh I think Ippei made Dorothy a little too... pretty? Because her character was not designed to be pretty. She was designed to look practical for her job and faith. But I do like Ippei's sketch of her more than her cipher cards, because the artists still made her cute and forgot the freckles.

I do hope she gets into Heroes this year. It would be interesting to see how the fandom reacts to her as they have with other slightly obscure characters.

14 hours ago, Zelgius said:

I see Zelgius and Black Knight still have a split, I'm not sure which to put a vote towards. BK will probably score higher so probably that version, though I would like to Zelgius in his Begnion armour.

I was thinking this same thing too. Ultimately, I'm probably splitting votes between Soren and BK. I would be really curious about a Brave BK, since the armor is the whole thing that makes him iconic and recognizable, so an alternative design would be challenging. 

1 hour ago, uhmuzing said:

I was thinking this same thing too. Ultimately, I'm probably splitting votes between Soren and BK. I would be really curious about a Brave BK, since the armor is the whole thing that makes him iconic and recognizable, so an alternative design would be challenging. 

They could just go with red armour Zelgius. Or maybe just standard Black Knight wielding a lance or some other weapon.

12 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

The Flame Emperor still being there while Masked Marth was removed from the pool when Lucina won is the more obvious "wtf". Edelgard spends about as much time being the Flame Emperor as Lucina spends being Masked Marth -- and their incognito forms have about as much significance (or lack thereof) so there isn't really a good reason for Flame Emperor not following in Masked Marth's footsteps.

I think it can be somehow justified in the sense that you can do a whole playthrough of 3H and still not find out Flame Emperor's identity. The connection isn't as obvious as Lucina = Masked Marth (which has been revealed all over FEH and even on games outside the FE series, like Smash Bros.)

As for my votes:

1.- Linoan
2.- Nyx
3.-
4.-
5.-
6.-
7.-