Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

Second vote is going to Ranulf, I'm hoping that he'll break into at least the Top 100 to show that there's a fanbase who wants to see more of him.

8 minutes ago, Jave said:

I think it can be somehow justified in the sense that you can do a whole playthrough of 3H and still not find out Flame Emperor's identity. The connection isn't as obvious as Lucina = Masked Marth (which has been revealed all over FEH and even on games outside the FE series, like Smash Bros.)

You find out the Flame Emperor's identity in every route. CF/SS has Edelgard outright spell it out before the chapter begins, it's a big reveal in BL due to how it causes Dimitri to snap, and even GD has it as a notable revelation. Hell, she fights you in the Flame Emperor armor without the helmet during the last chapter of the White Clouds segment in every non-CF route, so a player missing that detail would have to be completely oblivious or skipped every dialogue and cutscene between Chapter 11 through 14.

Edited by Medeus

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Medeus said:

Second vote is going to Ranulf, I'm hoping that he'll break into at least the Top 100 to show that there's a fanbase who wants to see more of him.

You find out the Flame Emperor's identity in every route. CF/SS has Edelgard outright spell it out before the chapter, it's a big reveal in BL due to how it causes Dimitri to snap, and even GD has it as a notable revelation. Hell, she fights you in the Flame Emperor armor during the last chapter of the White Clouds segment, so a player missing that detail would have to be completely oblivious or skipped every dialogue and cutscene between Chapter 12 and 14.

Wait, where does it happen exactly on CF? I must have missed that.

2 minutes ago, Jave said:

Wait, where does it happen exactly on CF? I must have missed that.

It's this scene, she outright says she is the Flame Emperor. To add to that, in the next fight she fights you in the Flame Emperor armor without the helmet like in non-CF Chapter 12, so even in gameplay it's outright spelled out to the player.

3 minutes ago, Medeus said:

It's this scene, she outright says she is the Flame Emperor. To add to that, in the next fight she fights you in the Flame Emperor armor without the helmet like in non-CF Chapter 12, so even in gameplay it's outright spelled out to the player.

Wow, I honestly didn't even remember that. I recall I was barely into it during my playthrough of 3H due to being so worn out of the series by then (real life wasn't helping me at the time) so I had to force myself through a lot of parts during the game. I probably missed out on tons of stuff, although I did enjoy the character-building stuff more than the actual main plot.

But hey, thanks for clarifying that. I appreciate it.

25 minutes ago, Jave said:

I think it can be somehow justified in the sense that you can do a whole playthrough of 3H and still not find out Flame Emperor's identity. The connection isn't as obvious as Lucina = Masked Marth (which has been revealed all over FEH and even on games outside the FE series, like Smash Bros.)

As for my votes:

1.- Linoan
2.- Nyx
3.-
4.-
5.-
6.-
7.-

Wait in which route do you not find out the Flame Emperor's identity? She says attacks you in the tomb level and either gets the mask knocked off at the end or, in the case of black eagles, outright confesses.

11 minutes ago, Medeus said:

Oops. Wasn't the first to address this. Though I'll add she also has a battalion named after the flame emperor, so even if you're skipping cutscenes it's right there on display in the gameplay too.

Edited by Jotari

I voted for Dithorba and I think I figured out who to vote for tomorrow. Anyway, really curious to see who everyone else is voting for. The interim results can't come soon enough.

7 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Tbh I think Ippei made Dorothy a little too... pretty? Because her character was not designed to be pretty. She was designed to look practical for her job and faith. But I do like Ippei's sketch of her more than her cipher cards, because the artists still made her cute and forgot the freckles.

I do hope she gets into Heroes this year. It would be interesting to see how the fandom reacts to her as they have with other slightly obscure characters.

I am 100% with you. The whole appeal of Dorothy to me is the fact that she looks like someone you could know irl. A normal girl who's not popular, nor particularly cares about being noticed. A common face in a crowd. 

If that was the intention they did an amazing job because even some NPC don't look as "normal" as her.

Does it strike anyone else as kind of weird that Shadow Dragon just lists the DS game while it's Shadows of Valentia/Gaiden and Mystery of the Emblem/New Mystery of the Emblem with both box arts being shown. What's with the double standard? Why is NES box art good enough for Gaiden but not the first game? I found strange in earlier years too but it seems particularly strange with their recent acknowledgement of the first game in the series with its English localisation.

Has anyone compiled a list of all the new characters available to vote for on this year's CYL?

A lot of them seem to have been added in, some of them, like Lekain, very overdue.

Edit: I did it   (list made quickly and prone to mistakes)

Genealogy of the Holy War
Dithorba

Thracia776
August

Blazing Sword
Elbert
Eleanora
Brendan Reed
Roland
Durban 
Desmond
Hellene
Fargus
Uther
Lundgren
Bramimond

(I feel like Darin is important enough to be there and is still missing.)

Sacred Stones
Morva
Vigarde

Path of Radiance
Bryce
Shiharam
Gromell
Kusatai

(still no Rajaion)

Radiant Dawn
Lehran
Lekain
Levail
Numida
Ludveck
Altina

Awakening
Phila

Fates
Daichi
Daniela
Funke
Gazak
Haitaka
Kumagera
Llewyn
Lloyd
Senno
Tarba
Zhara

(I feel Anthony should also have been added)

Three Houses
Abysskeeper
Gatekeeper
Aelfric
Hapi
Constance
Yuri
Balthus

(no Fleche, no Sitri)

Heroes
Freya
Mirabilis
Reginn
Otr
Fafnir
Gustave
Henriette

Other glaring omissions
Cipher characters, especially Randall, Emma, Shade & Yuzu who are all playable in Echoes
Warriors OCs

Edited by Vince777

1 hour ago, Vince777 said:

(no Soan but like Rajaion, probably because he never had a portrait)

Rajaion has a portrait. It even shows up in PoR.

Spoiler

When Ena is talking to him at the end of the game.

He also has official art. I didn't realize he wasn't in either list (FE9/10); I thought he did.

1 hour ago, Vince777 said:

Has anyone compiled a list of all the new characters available to vote for on this year's CYL?

A lot of them seem to have been added in, some of them, like Lekain, very overdue.

Edit: I did it   (list made quickly and prone to mistakes)

Genealogy of the Holy War
Dithorba

Thracia776
August

Blazing Sword
Elbert
Eleanora
Brendan Reed
Roland
Durban 
Desmond
Hellene
Fargus
Uther
Lundgren
Bramimond

(I feel like Darin is important enough to be there and is still missing.)

Sacred Stones
Morva
Vigarde

Path of Radiance
Bryce
Shiharam
Gromell
Kusatai

(still no Rajaion)

Radiant Dawn
Lehran
Lekain
Levail
Numida
Ludveck
Altina

(no Soan but like Rajaion, probably because he never had a portrait)

Awakening
Phila

Fates
Daichi
Daniela
Funke
Gazak
Haitaka
Kumagera
Llewyn
Lloyd
Senno
Tarba
Zhara

Three Houses
Abysskeeper
Gatekeeper
Aelfric
Hapi
Constance
Yuri
Balthus
Jeritza
Lord Arundel
Monica
Tomas
Seiros

(no Fleche, no Sitri)

Heroes
Freya
Mirabilis
Reginn
Otr
Fafnir
Gustave
Henriette

Other glaring omissions
Cipher characters, especially Randall, Emma, Shade & Yuzu who are all playable in Echoes
Warriors OCs

No changes to the TMS roster? I feel like some of those minor bosses and the likes of Barry and Tikin werent options before.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

No changes to the TMS roster? I feel like some of those minor bosses and the likes of Barry and Tikin werent options before.

Barry was an option before.

36 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Rajaion has a portrait. It even shows up in PoR.

Oh, yeah. I did not remember that. 

Also forgot Tiki in TMS, as Jotari pointed out. The TMS minor bosses on there were all already there though. 

Edited by Vince777

32 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Oh, yeah. I did not remember that. 

Also forgot Tiki in TMS, as Jotari pointed out. The TMS minor bosses on there were all already there though. 

TMS Tiki was in CYL4.

Well my votes so far are:

1. Elphin

2. Yashiro

I think I will vote for Priam next, then Balthus and Volug and my last two votes will either go to Elphin or Ashe if he has a shot at a brave.

@Vince777 You missed: 

Arvis [Gen 2] and Oifey [Gen 1] for Genealogy
Dryas (Dorias) for Thracia
Murdock and Natalie for Blazing Blade
Alder for Radiant Dawn

And for an entirely unrelated note to anyone, they quietly changed Wade's (FE6 fighter) name to Ward as of this CYL.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Does it strike anyone else as kind of weird that Shadow Dragon just lists the DS game while it's Shadows of Valentia/Gaiden and Mystery of the Emblem/New Mystery of the Emblem with both box arts being shown. What's with the double standard? Why is NES box art good enough for Gaiden but not the first game? I found strange in earlier years too but it seems particularly strange with their recent acknowledgement of the first game in the series with its English localisation.

I imagine the reason why Gaiden and Mystery are present but not Shadow Dragon:

For Gaiden: Grandfather's clause, it was used in the first CYL, so it stuck instead of being completely replaced by SoV.

For Mystery: Mystery of Emblem for all intents and purporse represent an important milestone in the franchise's story, used to be the best sold Fire Emblem in Japan, and effectively being considered the most succesful game prior to Awakening's and Three Houses' success (the latter could have finally bested Mystery's record considered the sales trends), and for many people is considered the actual Mystery of Emblem instead of New Mystery (unlike SDatBL that was effectively replaced in canon for Mystery and Shadow Dragon).

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yes, it is odd. I find it even more odd that Three Houses is split into two pages, but Fates only has one page despite being three separate full-length games.

3 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Fates
Daichi
Daniela
Funke
Gazak
Haitaka
Kumagera
Llewyn
Lloyd
Senno
Tarba
Zhara

I like that they added several minor bosses from Fates (IMO, from a design perspective they are among the most distinctive and memorable minor bosses in FE). But no Kotaro? He has a role in the plot of all three games, he influences several characters’ backstories (Kaze, Saizo, Shura), and you fight him as a boss in all three games. I’d argue he’s on par with Iago and Hans as a second-tier Fates villain. He was one of my favorite Fates bosses both from a character standpoint and a battle standpoint, so it would be nice to see him added.

Voting Priam, because I want chaos and watching the bickering about every single little line of dialogue he ever says about if he's actually descendant from Ike or not. 

Awakening doesn't have a lot of banners left in it, realistically just 2 full banners and a couple left out characters/seasonal fodder characters. As long as he's in the top 4 for Awakening units he should make it in this year assuming they stick to every game getting at least one banner. And then I can sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch large portions of the FE fandom tear itself apart. 

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

They could just go with red armour Zelgius. Or maybe just standard Black Knight wielding a lance or some other weapon.

I read the second half as "Black Knight wedding alt" and was horribly confused for a minute.

10 hours ago, Medeus said:

It's not that I don't like Ranulf.  It's that I don't have enough votes, and he exists in the game.  Stefan, on the other hand, doesn't.

Today's vote. . .uh, good question.  Most likely Midir.  Because Midir.