Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

1 hour ago, Yexin said:

not saying you can't vote for Henriette, i'd just like to know why she got so many votes, and how it is that so many people actively voted for her instead of more appealing or popular characters

Another thing to consider is that Henriette had a big role in the most recent Forging Bonds, the one for Thracia and she had way more than 3 lines of dialogue there. The fact it was so recent means she is fresh in everyone's mind (if you play the mode at least).

Plus since she wasn't votable in previous CYL the fans she already had are likely to fell like this is her "one chance" and vote for her with more passion than if she was just always an option since she appeares before CYL 3.

Finally there's the memes. "I want to S-support Henriette so I can become Alfonse and Sharena's new dad ahahahah!!" 

I feel like these three factors are mostly to blame for her high placement, together with the fact that no character ever received zero votes in CYL, people some time just vote for shit, or click the "vote for a random character" option to get wallpapers.

Anyway I'm voting for Eirika from now on. She isn't my favorite character who has a shot, but let's face it Bernie ain't beating both Marianne and Byleth. Might as well make sure Eirika keeps her position, she deserves a win and so does Marth.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I'm actually pretty salty about Gatekeeper blocking out Chrom right now. Things may change, but I'm not sure how that will happen just yet, or if people will push Gatekeeper to the top spot (most likely). Although maybe IntSys would see the joke in this and open CYL to the top 3 spots this year? ...yeah, didn't think so...sigh...next year Chrom...assuming a FE4 remake doesn't come out leading to Seliph and Sigurd stealing those spots...sigh...

Yeah I’m a bit salty too. 3H definitely stole Chrom’s thunder last year. I’m still going to vote for him every single day though! I’m all for gatekeeper being added in as a playable unit but not as a brave CYL winner personally. I’m going to keep hoping for a Marth and Chrom 1-2 but the meme could very well be too strong. Oh well it’s up to players after all and if people vote him in then a win is a win. Though he better not win due to botting that wouldn’t be fair.

The part where you say that things may change... Remember in Chrom’s words “Anything can change!”

2 hours ago, Kaden said:

Still going to vote for irrelevant characters; Cherche, Sonya, and Orochi so far with Ismaire and Heather next. Not sure who the remaining two or one if I missed the time will be. Maybe Arete or Stefan.

A man of culture I see. I usually drop votes for Cherche and Orochi, but I'll probably give the rest of my votes to

2 hours ago, Kori said:

I'll give him two more votes, and use the last two for Orochi and Marth.

Another one. I'm still surprised they used Kagero over her on some of the seasonal banners.

29 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Also Hapi seems missing which is a bit of a shame. 

Wow sad for a certain someone. I even gave her a vote.

2 hours ago, Kaden said:

People vote for shit. Figuratively and literally. It's why there are so many votes for Arden, Brigand Boss, gatekeeper, and the botted votes for Jorge as much as there are votes for Celica, Ephraim, Ike, or Lyn. You could put a piece of fucking cardboard as an option and people would vote for it to the point where it legitimately wins. Don't even get started with voting on life-changing decisions e.g. look at any country.

I'm legitimately going to toss a vote Gatekeeper's way for lance infantry bias though. And despite having a generic name and portrait, he is an actual character in the game you can interact with and form an attachment to. He wouldn't be nearly as memey if his name was Mark or something and he had a face though,

I don't really get the whole "I hate Gatekeeper so I'm voting for Chrom" thing.

Like if you're really that mad, can you at least be productive and vote for Dedue or anyone else not in Heroes? 

Or Henriette, or Jedah, or Kamui or Validar.

Anyone not actually in this game, Chrom has 5 alts I think he can live without another one.

Yes, maybe I'm biased because I hate Chrom but I'd be still annoyed if it was an Echoes Only Vote, Brigand Boss was in second place and everyone started voting 3rd Place Alm instead of Kamui or Jedah who aren't even in Heroes.

This is a dumb gacha game, where the entire gimmick is that anyone in the series is playable, at least vote for someone new instead of someone with 5 alts if you're gonna all pool your votes together to spite someone.

Edited by Samz707

Rhea and Seiros are both top 15 and I am really happy!! Will give 2 votes to Rhea and one to Seiros. Byleth and Eirika seem logical for women and as expected. Marth must keep the 1st position and his fans need to keep voting for him. Gatekeeper as brave would be weird to me but people want him fair and square so that's fine I guess.

A bit sad Freyja isn't even in top 20 and any chances of a non mythic alt is shut down, will try to get her normal version and invest in her as much as I can. 

27 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I don't really get the whole "I hate Gatekeeper so I'm voting for Chrom" thing.

Like if you're really that mad, can you at least be productive and vote for Dedue or anyone else not in Heroes? 

Or Henriette, or Jedah, or Kamui or Validar.

Anyone not actually in this game, Chrom has 5 alts I think he can live without another one.

Yes, maybe I'm biased because I hate Chrom but I'd be still annoyed if it was an Echoes Only Vote, Brigand Boss was in second place and everyone started voting 3rd Place Alm instead of Kamui or Jedah who aren't even in Heroes.

This is a dumb gacha game with a gimmick where the cast includes murders, rapists, genocidal maniacs and Oliver, where the entire gimmick is that anyone in the series is playable, at least vote for someone new instead of someone with 5 alts if you're gonna all pool your votes together to spite someone.

The problem is if your objective is to stop Gatekeeper and you don't care about anything else, you are going to vote for whoever had the highest chance of defeating him.

I can guarantee you that if Validar or Dedue, or Reinhardt, or M!Corrin, or M!Byleth, or anyone else (except Brigand Boss) was in third place, they would rally behind that character too.

When the argument shifts from "let's make this specific character win" to "let's make this specific character lose" whatever argument about which characters are more deserving to win becomes irrelevant. And I'm saying this as someone who is neutral. I couldn't care less if second place goes to Chrom or Gatekeeper (as long as Marth remains first).

1 minute ago, GrandeRampel said:

I couldn't care less if second place goes to Chrom or Gatekeeper (as long as Marth remains first).

You know I can see it happening that both Chrom and Gatekeeper have their fans rally to support them and ultimately put Chrom at number two and Gatekeeper at first place. Because if something can go wrong for Marth in CYL it historically has. 

1 hour ago, Holla99 said:

Yeah I’m a bit salty too. 3H definitely stole Chrom’s thunder last year. I’m still going to vote for him every single day though! I’m all for gatekeeper being added in as a playable unit but not as a brave CYL winner personally. I’m going to keep hoping for a Marth and Chrom 1-2 but the meme could very well be too strong. Oh well it’s up to players after all and if people vote him in then a win is a win. Though he better not win due to botting that wouldn’t be fair.

The part where you say that things may change... Remember in Chrom’s words “Anything can change!”

To be fair, Chrom just has bad luck. His thunder has always been stolen.

In Awakening, by Lucina (which, I guess is kind of a good thing when taken as the literal sense because of 

Spoiler

how Chrom dies in that opening cutscene. Stabbed with thunder. Lucina goes back to keep the thunder from her dad.)

In Smash, by Robin (since Chrom was originally just part of Robin's final smash.)

And I imagine all the other times he's been looked over have come from those two instances: his home game, and FE's main advertisement: Smash. I guess Chrom kind of has that in common with Eliwood ("in his child's shadow") except that Chrom was eventually added to Smash as a playable character (so it's not like the developers are trying to snub him.) Dude's just unlucky.

The men section is weird. I was definitely not expecting Gatekeeper to place so high, I suppose I underestimate his power lol.

Glad to see Eirika in 1st place, though her place could still be stolen by Marianne or F!Byleth (I hope not).

And Constance von Nuvelle and Rhea are in the top 20 yay.

9 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I will take a 5th alt of Chrom, a character I like, over a literal meme getting a Brave Alt, thanks. I would much prefer that Yuri or Seliph get it, but that's not going to happen. And it has already been demonstrated to IS that Yuri is popular and should be added to Heroes.

Same. I like gatekeeper as much as the next guy but the fact that a literal npc has a chance of winning a special alt in a vote meant to determine who gets special alts in what is supposed to be a crossover celebration of the series is not something I particularly want

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Same. I like gatekeeper as much as the next guy but the fact that a literal npc has a chance of winning a special alt in a vote meant to determine who gets special alts in what is supposed to be a crossover celebration of the series is not something I particularly want

I 100% percent agree with you. I'd love for Gatekeeper to get in as a free TT or GHB unit, but not a CYL unit. I'm a big Chrom fan so I want him to win the most of course, but I'm up for anyone who isn't gatekeeper to take the top two spots honestly.

Well, the top places look about as I expected. Memes always do well in these things, it's just the way the fandom goes. I'm not a huge fan since it's the reason characters like Oliver get in, but c'est la vie. More importantly for me personally is that Mia is back in top 20 after falling out last year iirc, and I intend to keep it that way as much as I can. For those fighting at the top of the table, I wish you the best of luck. My freepick will probably be based on the art this year around, I don't have a clear favourite of the top contenders this time.

Holy shit Gatekeeper. I hope these results don't change, on both sides.

Well, technically I'd still want Anna to win, but considering who's actually high enough to make it. Kind of shocked (and depressed) Anna's not even present here considering how she ranked last year despite Three Houses having just released.

The fact that "Gatekeeper" is actually two different people under identical helmets, yet they only made him an option in the academy phase section as if that covered both that one and the post-timeskip one, says something about how much character "he" has. They make a nice addition to the monastery though, kind of feel like a mascot, and would be a fun TT reward or something one day.

Yeah, most of what I thought we'd see in the midterms is what actually happened. Marth, Chrom, the Byleths, Marianne, and Eirika all high, Gatekeeper in the Top 20, and Nino being one of the only other GBA characters in the Top 20 aside from Eirika. I was wrong about Lilina being in there, though.

I'm very happy to see Marth and Eirika in the top spots. I don't think Eirika is losing her position, I think the real battle there will be between Marianne and Byleth for that spot right under Eirika. I am worried about Marth, though. Marth fans got complacent and just assumed he'd win after midterm results in CYL 3, and...it cost them. Now, here in CYL 5, I'm seeing tons of rallying behind Chrom and Gatekeeper; Marth fans might be growing complacent again after these midterms. Plus, luck seems to never be on Marth's side.

I'm genuinely considering using at least two of my last three votes for Marth.

After reading some more responses: calling Gatekeeper just a meme is pretty demeaning, to him and his fans. People legitimately loved the character in the game. In fact, he's probably my favorite male character in Three Houses; I always enjoyed heading over to talk to him at the beginning of each month. And I felt this way before I knew how anyone else felt about him, before the "memes."

I didn't think I would have a horse in the male side of this race (the male characters I'd want to see win don't stand a chance), but now I do.

7 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Yeah, most of what I thought we'd see in the midterms is what actually happened. Marth, Chrom, the Byleths, Marianne, and Eirika all high, Gatekeeper in the Top 20, and Nino being one of the only other GBA characters in the Top 20 aside from Eirika. I was wrong about Lilina being in there, though.

I'm very happy to see Marth and Eirika in the top spots. I don't think Eirika is losing her position, I think the real battle there will be between Marianne and Byleth for that spot right under Eirika. I am worried about Marth, though. Marth fans got complacent and just assumed he'd win after midterm results in CYL 3, and...it cost them. Now, here in CYL 5, I'm seeing tons of rallying behind Chrom and Gatekeeper; Marth fans might be growing complacent again after these midterms. Plus, luck seems to never be on Marth's side.

I'm genuinely considering using at least two of my last three votes for Marth.

Like I said earlier. Do it. Don't get complacent if you really want Marth to win or to not lose his first place premium kit.

Yay! Ashe's in the Top 10! I really hope he improves. Every time there's a new heroes banner coming up, I'm like, "Please, make this the one with Ashe! I'd be willing to go through ONLY Three Houses banners until we get him. I want him that bad."

It's always nice to see two of my perennial favorites in the Top 20, especially when one of them boosts into the Top 10. It makes me that much more optimistic that they'll win one year--only a matter of time.