Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

This is exactly what I thought would happen lmao. I just hope a Chrom or Bernadetta rally won't end up kicking the unintended person out (Marth and Eirika) since we don't know how wide their lead is.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I mean this in the nicest way possible, don't ban me pls.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK HAPPENED. Why the goddamn is the goddamn completely generic "GREETINGS PROFESSOR NOTHING TO REPORT" GATEKEEPER in GODDAMN 2ND PLACE. Forget memes, this is the kind of headache-inducing nonsense that gets units like Jorge in the game.

10 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Yay! Ashe's in the Top 10! I really hope he improves. Every time there's a new heroes banner coming up, I'm like, "Please, make this the one with Ashe! I'd be willing to go through ONLY Three Houses banners until we get him. I want him that bad."

Luckily Ashe is inevitable. I think that IS generally will include all the original students, and Ashe being consistently popular will likely work in his favor. Given his personality I'd wager he'd be ending up with alt too. He seems the type to be into dressing up for festivals, and he'd be perfect for Halloween. 

Oh wow, this is somewhat unexpected.

I was going to vote for Marcia today, but I may have to change my plans and just vote for Marth twice and Eirika one more time.

EDIT: Also, good to see Reinhardt still chilling in top 20. He might fall out, but I can live with that since he didn't plummet like a hundred spots or something. But I think his chances at getting a Brave alt were basically in CYL2 and completely shot after that.

Edited by Sunwoo

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

To be fair, Chrom just has bad luck. His thunder has always been stolen.

In Awakening, by Lucina (which, I guess is kind of a good thing when taken as the literal sense because of 

Hide contents

how Chrom dies in that opening cutscene. Stabbed with thunder. Lucina goes back to keep the thunder from her dad.)

In Smash, by Robin (since Chrom was originally just part of Robin's final smash.)

And I imagine all the other times he's been looked over have come from those two instances: his home game, and FE's main advertisement: Smash. I guess Chrom kind of has that in common with Eliwood ("in his child's shadow") except that Chrom was eventually added to Smash as a playable character (so it's not like the developers are trying to snub him.) Dude's just unlucky.

ironically, he's the only non-avatar FE character who has 2 amiibos

37 minutes ago, Florete said:

After reading some more responses: calling Gatekeeper just a meme is pretty demeaning, to him and his fans. People legitimately loved the character in the game. In fact, he's probably my favorite male character in Three Houses; I always enjoyed heading over to talk to him at the beginning of each month. And I felt this way before I knew how anyone else felt about him, before the "memes."

I didn't think I would have a horse in the male side of this race (the male characters I'd want to see win don't stand a chance), but now I do.

Exactly my feelings on this.

16 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Luckily Ashe is inevitable. I think that IS generally will include all the original students, and Ashe being consistently popular will likely work in his favor. Given his personality I'd wager he'd be ending up with alt too. He seems the type to be into dressing up for festivals, and he'd be perfect for Halloween. 

But he's scared of ghosts.

I don’t play heroes. I don’t even like heroes. But I caught wind of a gatekeeper uprising, and as a gatekeeper fan, I would love it if he got into the game. Especially since he has the generic soldier design.

He’s all that matters, but I suppose I can vote more.

12 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

But he's scared of ghosts.

Exactly why he would make a great Halloween unit. I made a mockup of a 3H Halloween banner before, putting special emphasis on Ashe, Anette, and Alois (plus Mercedes, but she was NOT helping the other three's nerves, being one to tell scary stories) investigating an old, abandoned manor. There had been reports of people catching glimpses of someone there, even though no one had lived there for a long time. The heroes needed to check it out and make sure everything was safe (duty and all that, though they were all (except for Mercedes) terrified.) Turns out it was just Marianne getting some alone time with the critters who had taken up residence there.

43 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK HAPPENED. Why the goddamn is the goddamn completely generic "GREETINGS PROFESSOR NOTHING TO REPORT" GATEKEEPER in GODDAMN 2ND PLACE. Forget memes, this is the kind of headache-inducing nonsense that gets units like Jorge in the game.

Because Zephiel was right about humanity being beyond redemption.

And with that, my remaining votes are all going to Chrom because I will not allow this pass without a fight. This is just too stupid, and not in a good way at all.

I love how the Gatekeeper and Camilla both gets a negative reaction for making in Top 2 but apparently disliking Gatekeeper is rude to his fans but hating on Camilla is fine (yes I'd say Camilla is hated on while Gatekeeper is just disliked).

2 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I love how the Gatekeeper and Camilla both gets a negative reaction for making in Top 2 but apparently disliking Gatekeeper is rude to his fans but hating on Camilla is fine (yes I'd say Camilla is hated on while Gatekeeper is just disliked).

Disliking Gatekeeper is fine. Lowering him to "just a meme" is not fine. It's factually incorrect.

5 minutes ago, Florete said:

Disliking Gatekeeper is fine. Lowering him to "just a meme" is not fine. It's factually incorrect.

And lowering Camilla to just her 'assets' is also factually incorrect but it is widely accepted anyways.

My point is that for many, Gatekeeper is just a meme (and there are people that openly said that the'll vote for him for 'the memes') and I just don't think his genuine fans should take it as an insult when people voice their dislike for that? 

Edited by zuibangde

In other news, I'm sure you guys noticed that adult Tiki made a big jump to top 20 while her younger self is nowhere to be seen.

People must have REALLY been annoyed with young Tiki getting all the alts.

3 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

And lowering Camilla to just her 'assets' is also factually incorrect but it is widely accepted anyways.

My point is that for many, Gatekeeper is just a meme (and there are people that openly said that the'll vote for him for 'the memes') and I just don't think his genuine fans should take it as an insult when people voice their dislike for that? 

Doesn't Heroes literally do that itself with Camilla? since she flirts with Kiran despite wanting to bang Corrin, same with Tharja.

4 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Frankly, I disagree.

While it's obviously not everyone, I firmly believe that the majority of Camilla's popularity comes from her sex appeal. She would not have won without it. This isn't the case for Gatekeeper. Gatekeeper only got memed because people loved him so much. The memes were the result of his popularity, whereas for Camilla it's the other way around: her popularity was the result of her sex appeal.

EDIT: Wait, I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to talk about this I'm sorry Eclipse please don't smite me.

Edited by Florete

8 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Just now, zuibangde said:

My point is that for many, Gatekeeper is just a meme (and there are people that openly said that the'll vote for him for 'the memes') and I just don't think his genuine fans should take it as an insult? 

See, I don't hate Gatekeeper. I might not "like" him, but I am not opposed to him. Hell, I'm not even that opposed to Camilla, I'm just kinda meh with the both of them.

But again, it's this kind of nonsense that makes characters like Jorge playable, hell it's this stuff that makes Dorcas have some bad mutton and "Trust no one". And also the kind of stuff that derails these CYL threads, so...

Just now, Samz707 said:

Doesn't Heroes literally do that itself with Camilla? since she flirts with Kiran despite wanting to bang Corrin, same with Tharja.

In all fairness to Heroes Tharja, she actually doesn't really flirt with Kiran if I recall correctly. She's still got a very singleminded focus on Robin.

So, I gave my first four votes to Lex, but now I’m conflicted.

I’m extremely curious to see what they would give to Gatekeeper so I might give him one vote. However, he’s guaranteed to get in FEH somehow now...

However, if Marth voters get complacent again, and both Chrom and the nicest (beside Ashe) TH character win this year, that would be kinda sad... I think I’ll vote for GK once, as that’s a once in a lifetime chance to get an unnamed NPC to win such an event, and I’m too curious to see what they’d do with him.

Anyway, I’m very surprised Bernadetta’s still that high while she got in and has had an alt recently. My last two votes will go to Marianne, it’d be nice to get her with Blutgang and a cool attire. And I prefer her to Byleth.

Other than that, I’m almost shocked Henriette made it to 11th place. I wasn’t expecting here to even get in the top 200 or so, but I guess the last Forging Bond showed us she was nice and makes a lot of efforts to help here subjects, so she’s kinda bland for now. Seeing Yuri and Caspar so high is very nice though.

1 minute ago, Aegir said:

So, I gave my first four votes to Lex, but now I’m conflicted.

I’m extremely curious to see what they would give to Gatekeeper so I might give him one vote. However, he’s guaranteed to get in FEH somehow now...

However, if Marth voters get complacent again, and both Chrom and the nicest (beside Ashe) TH character win this year, that would be kinda sad... I think I’ll vote for GK once, as that’s a once in a lifetime chance to get an unnamed NPC to win such an event, and I’m too curious to see what they’d do with him.

Anyway, I’m very surprised Bernadetta’s still that high while she got in and has had an alt recently. My last two votes will go to Marianne, it’d be nice to get her with Blutgang and a cool attire. And I prefer her to Byleth.

Other than that, I’m almost shocked Henriette made it to 11th place. I wasn’t expecting here to even get in the top 200 or so, but I guess the last Forging Bond showed us she was nice and makes a lot of efforts to help here subjects, so she’s kinda bland for now. Seeing Yuri and Caspar so high is very nice though.

As disturbing as it is to say it because it was her terrible father's very goal.... Bernadetta is ideal waifu material for a large subset of the community. Myself included. It's her personality. It's endearing independently of the awful means by which it was inflicted upon her. It creates an inherent desire to "protecc," empathize with, and encourage, and I feel no shame in being part of that.

I very much expected her popularity to be consistent, because she's a great character.

5 minutes ago, Aegir said:

ikr? As for me, as much as I want Gatekeeper to make it in, I'm committed to giving all my votes to Elena. She really reeds it if she's going to get into FEH. So far, I haven't missed a day in voting for her, either.

11 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

In all fairness to Heroes Tharja, she actually doesn't really flirt with Kiran if I recall correctly. She's still got a very singleminded focus on Robin.

She states Kirian is "Just as important to her" when talking about Robin in some of the level 40 stuff, which feels out of character for the sake of Player Pandering. 

And the new one talks about how Kiran reminds her of her "Fated one" so there's a bit of pandering there IMO.