Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

14 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

In other news, I'm sure you guys noticed that adult Tiki made a big jump to top 20 while her younger self is nowhere to be seen.

People must have REALLY been annoyed with young Tiki getting all the alts.

Yeah, and that.....will probably mean nothing to IS who'll continue to shower Y!Tiki with alts anyways.

After all, they'll do literally anything these days if it can get them out of giving Awakening in general anything more than scraps.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, and that.....will probably mean nothing to IS who'll continue to shower Y!Tiki with alts anyways.

After all, they'll do literally anything these days if it can get them out of giving Awakening in general anything more than scraps.

I genuinely think riding the coattails of a TMS Tiki alt is the only way Touma and Yashiro could get into Heroes. Not that I want another TMS banner.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Don't Lucina and Chrom have a ton of alts?

And isn't pretty much almost every Awakening player character in Heroes?

There's more Awakening characters than Echoes.

Granted I'm recent to Heroes but I don't see how Awakening is getting scraps when it's got the most characters from a single game aside from Fates. (Since Archanea is technically 4 games for instance.)

6 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

As disturbing as it is to say it because it was her terrible father's very goal.... Bernadetta is ideal waifu material for a large subset of the community. Myself included. It's her personality. It's endearing independently of the awful means by which it was inflicted upon her. It creates an inherent desire to "protecc," empathize with, and encourage, and I feel no shame in being part of that.

I very much expected her popularity to be consistent, because she's a great character.

Yeah, I guess I should have expected her to remain popular, despite the constant screaming, as these fragile characters are always very popular. I guess I’m kinda the same with Marianne in that way...

6 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

ikr? As for me, as much as I want Gatekeeper to make it in, I'm committed to giving all my votes to Elena. She really reeds it if she's going to get into FEH. So far, I haven't missed a day in voting for her, either.

I’m allowing myself to change my votes mainly because I’m sure will get in with the next FE4 gen1 banner. And yeah, the absolute freedom IS would have with the Gatekeeper really pushes me to give hil at least one vote. I hope Elena gets in FEH too one day.

1 minute ago, Samz707 said:

Granted I'm recent to Heroes but I don't see how Awakening is getting scraps when it's got the most characters from a single game aside from Fates. (Since Archanea is technically 4 games for instance.)

Awakening isn't getting scraps. At all. It's just feeling the natural effects of having almost all of its representation frontloaded (and thus powercrept).

17 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

As disturbing as it is to say it because it was her terrible father's very goal.... Bernadetta is ideal waifu material for a large subset of the community. Myself included. It's her personality. It's endearing independently of the awful means by which it was inflicted upon her. It creates an inherent desire to "protecc," empathize with, and encourage, and I feel no shame in being part of that.

Ironically, that's the reason I dislike Bernadetta (along with Marianne, and other characters like them).

People like this are very exhausting to deal with in the real world, and I say this as someone who was at one point the most emotionally stable person in my group of friends. In some respects, I might still be. Bernadetta, being fictional, is definitely an exaggeration more than anything else ... but she was pretty irritating as fuck. The whole "protecc" thing never sat well with me, it comes off as a romanticization of people who need serious mental help -- the type of help that you can't give just by loving and empathizing with people. Believe me, I've tried.

However, I'm not saying I have a problem with people who like her for these reasons, I just cannot agree with any of it after having dealt with it in real life.

I'm glad I stopped caring about who wins CYL a long time ago. There always seems to be one character that ends up scoring high and causes the sanity of the fanbase to split in half.

Looking at the interim results again I'm surprised to see F!Robin in the top 10 for females this year. A!Tiki being in the top 20 is nice to see as well. Still giving the remaining of my votes to A!Anna an then whatever happens happens.

Whew lad, things are getting a little too heated over Twitter then again, it is always heated over that place. It's kinda funny that this time it's over the Male division, normally it is the Female division that stirs things. 

Anyways, I'll stick to the plan of giving 3 votes to Marth, 3 to Eirika and 1 to Marianne. I feel the Marianne vote will be kind of a waste as there's almost no chance she'll overcome F!Byleth, but one never knows. 

On other interesting news that have nothing to do with the top rankings, some people really want to defy IS's statement about Henriette, huh? In a FB she says she can't fight and the fanbase is like "Is that a challenge?". I find that funny. 

37 minutes ago, Aegir said:

I’m extremely curious to see what they would give to Gatekeeper so I might give him one vote.

Right? It's basically the same feeling I had when Veronica was close to the winning places during CYL 2. Like, I changed my votes to all for Veronica, because I was very curious about what IS would give her, and she ended as a pretty cool unit... probably the best pick of CYL 2 in the release in my opinion. Now, with the refinements, she lost that position to me.

I expect him to be infantry lance, with a different armor than his normal one. Maybe he will be promoted to one of the Knight of Seiros, and give him a nice white and gold armor? Who knows! But I am very curious, and I hope he keeps his spot in the top places (unless it cost Marth's position).

For my remaining votes... I will keep them on Marth. I will stay by his side until the very end.

2 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Whew lad, things are getting a little too heated over Twitter then again, it is always heated over that place. It's kinda funny that this time it's over the Male division, normally it is the Female division that stirs things. 

Anyways, I'll stick to the plan of giving 3 votes to Marth, 3 to Eirika and 1 to Marianne. I feel the Marianne vote will be kind of a waste as there's almost no chance she'll overcome F!Byleth, but one never knows. 

On other interesting news that have nothing to do with the top rankings, some people really want to defy IS's statement about Henriette, huh? In a FB she says she can't fight and the fanbase is like "Is that a challenge?". I find that funny. 

Inability to fight didn't keep them from adding Jorge, Merlinus, and Rinea.

47 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Yes, Awakening was treated well but only during FEH's first two years. Below are all (except Plegian Tharja who was just added) of Awakening's Special Hero (seasonal) alts:

Spoiler

J9yUwu9.png?1

Everything from the first Chrom to the first Tharja was in 2017, while bride Tharja to Noire and that's still Noire's only version, by the way was in 2018 (to June 2018 to be exact). 

Awakening got zero seasonal alts in 2019, leaving them with just two from last year (and one of them only counts because Mia is a Harmonized Hero who has Masked Marth as her partner) plus Plegian Tharja from this month. 

This should go without saying, but almost every other game (Thracia and Tokyo Mirage Sessions being the only exceptions) has gotten more than just three seasonal alts since June 2018.

And yes, Awakening does have more characters than Echoes but the former has a larger playable cast than the latter anyways so that shouldn't be a surprise. That said, Awakening is the one that has more missing playable characters than Echoes (and Echoes is also very likely to get a new New Heroes banner sometime soon):

Spoiler

Echoes: Kaumi, Luthier, Atlas, Jesse, Deen, Tatiana, Zeke, Mycen, Nomah (9)

Awakening: Vaike, Miriel, Kellam, Ricken, Gregor, Basilio, Flavia, Severa, Laurent, Yen'fay, Priam (11)

44 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Awakening isn't getting scraps. At all. It's just feeling the natural effects of having almost all of its representation frontloaded (and thus powercrept).

That is not an excuse at all for Awakening's neglect when Fates has gotten 11 seasonal alts (plus 4 seasonal TT units) since 2019 (and that number increases to 17 if we're counting since June 2018). 

8 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yes, Awakening was treated well but only during FEH's first two years. Below are all (except Plegian Tharja who was just added) of Awakening's Special Hero (seasonal) alts:

Reveal hidden contents

J9yUwu9.png?1

Everything from the first Chrom to the first Tharja was in 2017, while bride Tharja to Noire and that's still Noire's only version, by the way was in 2018 (to June 2018 to be exact). 

Awakening got zero seasonal alts in 2019, leaving them with just two from last year (and one of them only counts because Mia is a Harmonized Hero who has Masked Marth as her partner) plus Plegian Tharja from this month. 

This should go without saying, but almost every other game (Thracia and Tokyo Mirage Sessions being the only exceptions) has gotten more than just three seasonal alts since June 2018.

And yes, Awakening does have more characters than Echoes but the former has a larger playable cast than the latter anyways so that shouldn't be a surprise. That said, Awakening is the one that has more missing playable characters than Echoes (and Echoes is also very likely to get a new New Heroes banner sometime soon):

Reveal hidden contents

Awakening: Vaike, Miriel, Kellam, Ricken, Gregor, Basilio, Flavia, Severa, Laurent, Yen'fay, Priam (11)

That is not an excuse at all for Awakening's neglect when Fates has gotten 11 seasonal alts (plus 4 seasonal TT units) since 2019 (and that number increases to 17 if we're counting since June 2018). 

I am the LAST person to complain to about seasonal alts, because I don't pay attention to them or who gets them. I HATE seasonals and wish they would all go away so we could have more New Heroes. That has been my consistent and vocal stance for years.

Also, Tellius glances towards Awakening and asks "first time?" As it has a larger cast AND has a larger percentage missing - damn near half.

Thracia then glances in both of their directions and asks "first time." Only to be ignored because no one cares.

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

See, I don't hate Gatekeeper. I might not "like" him, but I am not opposed to him. Hell, I'm not even that opposed to Camilla, I'm just kinda meh with the both of them.

But again, it's this kind of nonsense that makes characters like Jorge playable, hell it's this stuff that makes Dorcas have some bad mutton and "Trust no one". And also the kind of stuff that derails these CYL threads, so...

I like how Heroes is a game where even characters like Jorge and Gatekeeper can finally get a chance to shine. 

Tbh it's crazy how last year everyone was all "how boring, the results could be seen from a mile away, it's just all the most recent lords", but then this year we get a total wild card NPC in the top 2 and suddenly people are like "unacceptable, only the expected lords are allowed to win this".

I second the sentiment that characters like Jorge and Gatekeeper becoming playable in FEH is a good thing. Marth/Gatekeeper in 1st and 2nd would be a great result.

Edited by Book Bro

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Hide contents

J9yUwu9.png?1

Hide contents

Doesn't Chrom still get an alt even if he's 3rd Place? (and Chrom has 5 alts)

Not to mention Tharja just got an alt and the entire event is Awakening Pelgia themed.

If you really feel Awakening is shafted, wouldn't it be a better idea to vote for someone who isn't already in the game? or someone who doesn't have any alts?

3 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Tbh it's crazy how last year everyone was all "how boring, the results could be seen from a mile away, it's just all the most recent lords", but then this year we get a total wild card NPC in the top 2 and suddenly people are like "unacceptable, only the expected lords are allowed to win this".

they're most likely different demographics

...or at least i hope so, because if not, if would be simply ridiculous

3 minutes ago, Yexin said:

they're most likely different demographics

...or at least i hope so, because if not, if would be simply ridiculous

I don't think that's ridiculous at all. There's a sliding scale between "expected new main lords" (which actually wasn't the case because one winner was a non-lord) and "literal mem- I mean NPC who definitely isn't a meme. Nope. No memes here. It's apparently factually inaccurate that he's a meme."

That inbetween is wanting regular popular characters like Marianne and Jill to win it.

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

If the winners this year end to be Marth, Gatekeeper, Eirika and Byleth, I confess this will be a more enjoyable result to me than CYL 4's result.

Oh for sure. As much as I love Lysethia CYL 4's results were predictable from the very beginning. I love seeing the Dark Horse candidates surprising us out of nowhere (Veronica going from 7th to 2nd in CYL 2 will forever be my favorite comeback).

Well looking at the midterms I will give my two free votes to Yuri since he has a good shot at being added this year with that ranking and I would love an Ashen Wolves banner.  I would be fine with the top two of each gender being the winners since I feel about the same about all of them not my favorites but not my least favorites either.

I wonder if Marianne could pull off an upset. With CYL2 Veronica pulled off a notable jump and took the Top 2 spot from Camilla, while with CYL3 we thought Marth had his spot locked down, but Eliwood got a rally that pushed him up to Top 2 and kicked the former out. Marianne is in a similar position, she's always been a very popular character, but now that people see her just out of the Top 2 I can definitely see more fans rallying behind her to get that Top 2 spot. I'm not sure if F!Byleth fans will allow it, but it would be interesting to see two regular GD students get the #2 female spot in a row. 

The same could happen with Chrom, but I feel Gatekeeper is definitely going to see a massive push so I doubt he's dropping out of the Top 2 anytime soon and I doubt Marth will allow him to fall out a second time. If Chrom pulls it off, it'd be a massive upset for either of the two.