Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

It's amazing how some people are reacting to all that's going on right now. This fandom has gotten quite passionate these past few years, and I don't mean it as a compliment.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I think the reason why Inigo and Severa aren't in the game is that they're functionally identical to their Fates selves. They barely even constitute alts. Owain at least changes classes.

True, but it doesn't stop anyone from giving them different weapons than just swords. In fact, I would like the both of them to get different weapons, possibly even another movement type.

Inigo could be a demote axe unit infantry, or maybe a demote bow cav.

Severa maybe could a sword flier? Or she could be an axe unit as well, just more premium.

3 minutes ago, Nym said:

True, but it doesn't stop anyone from giving them different weapons than just swords. In fact, I would like the both of them to get different weapons, possibly even another movement type.

Inigo could be a demote axe unit infantry, or maybe a demote bow cav.

Severa maybe could a sword flier? Or she could be an axe unit as well, just more premium.

Okay but there's no way they'd ever demote Inigo when Laurent exists and the best banner for Inigo and Severa to get in is alongside Noire and Laurent.

45 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't have a horse in that race. I respect the votes of FE fans who don't play FEH more than I respect the votes of anyone who votes for an FE Heroes OC who is going to be added to the game later anyway.

You say that, but Fafnir and his adoptive brother are nowhere to be found on the male side (which kinda surprises me). We instead have Henriette on the female side, whose fate is far less certain RIP her husband though in more ways than one.

22 minutes ago, Karuu30 said:

The thing is that, do you really think IS would release him as a free unit now that they’ve seen how far he can go?

Yes, because his popularity is absolutely not built to last since so much of it is built on memes. Dorcas, for example, can attest to that (he went from 21st in CYL1 to 185th in CYL2 and has been trending further downwards with each CYL).

As soon as we get the next mainline game (whether it's entirely new or a remake), Gatekeeper is all too likely to be forgotten once the memers find someone new to latch onto.

1 hour ago, Yexin said:

as for regular popular characters, i already expressed my opinion: if people rally for them simply because they've yet to be added in Heroes, i don't want them to win
not saying people can't vote them purely for that reason, it's just that single reason i can't bring myself to accept, at all 

Because of this I wish we had a Choose Your Legends vote and a "who you want in the game who isn't in yet" vote separately. The main point of CYL is to give popular characters an alternate outfit and sweet skills. I know a lot of people who vote in order to make IS recognize they want a certain character in the game that isn't in yet, but then they can't vote for someone who they actually want a brave alt of. You have to make a choice to vote for someone new you want in the game or to vote for who you want a brave alt of.

I personally never see a separate vote happening but if it did I know I'd definitely make use of it. Even just this year as an example I've been voting Chrom as I really want a brave alt of him. Though it's also been tempting to vote Azelle as I really want him in the game, but Chrom needs all the votes he can get so I'm sorry Azelle.

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

You say that, but Fafnir and his adoptive brother are nowhere to be found on the male side (which kinda surprises me). We instead have Henriette on the female side, whose fate is far less certain RIP her husband though in more ways than one.

Yes, because his popularity is absolutely not built to last since so much of it is built on memes. Dorcas, for example, can attest to that (he went from 21st in CYL1 to 185th in CYL2 and has been trending further downwards with each CYL).

As soon as we get the next mainline game (whether it's entirely new or a remake), Gatekeeper is all too likely to be forgotten once the memers find someone new to latch onto.

What you're missing is that Dorcas is already in the game. His meme endures, but they already have what they want.

10 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

What you're missing is that Dorcas is already in the game. His meme endures, but they already have what they want.

Exactly, no one gives a shit about him anymore as he was never close to being a truly popular character as CYL1 suggested. 

The same fate awaits Gatekeeper regardless of whether he wins or not (since he's going to get added to FEH no matter what now).

22 minutes ago, Jave said:

It's amazing how some people are reacting to all that's going on right now. This fandom has gotten quite passionate these past few years, and I don't mean it as a compliment.

Yeah I thought the community moved past the elitist crap a while ago, but I see that is just a part of the FE fanbase now.

18 minutes ago, Holla99 said:

Because of this I wish we had a Choose Your Legends vote and a "who you want in the game who isn't in yet" vote separately. The main point of CYL is to give popular characters an alternate outfit and sweet skills. I know a lot of people who vote in order to make IS recognize they want a certain character in the game that isn't in yet, but then they can't vote for someone who they actually want a brave alt of. You have to make a choice to vote for someone new you want in the game or to vote for who you want a brave alt of.

I personally never see a separate vote happening but if it did I know I'd definitely make use of it. Even just this year as an example I've been voting Chrom as I really want a brave alt of him. Though it's also been tempting to vote Azelle as I really want him in the game, but Chrom needs all the votes he can get so I'm sorry Azelle.

yeah i agree, that would be the best solution, and yeah, i doubt they'll actually ever make it
ironically, this problem was caused by the very first Farfetched Heroes banner

in the end, i'm pretty sure IS perfectly knows what characters are popular and highly anticipated, and they'll actually make it in, eventually
the main problem is that IS is really inconsistent with this, i mean they added lysithea like not even a whole month after CYL4 ended, but it took 4 years for them to add Jill, even though she's always been quite high in every CYL event

Edited by Yexin

I think in future, the final vote should count multiple times, so you can swing it more. Kind of VG style.

Or they can even acknowledge that CYL is used for campaigning for character representation and allow you to cast 1 vote for the Brave Alt AND 1 vote to show interest in a character per day. The former votes could have their results revealed daily, while the latter are revealed at the end.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I think the only real change I would make to CYL Voting system is allowing us to vote for a Male and a Female per day. I mean, they dont compete with each other, so why not allow us to vote for both, with the same amount of votes.

The last vote having more value than the others is kinda a... meh idea.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

I think the only real change CYL needs is allow us to vote for a Male and a Female per day. I mean, they dont compete with each other, so why not allow us to vote for both, with the same amount of votes.

The last vote having more value than the others is kinda a... meh idea.

That's actually a fun thought. It might tone down the toxicity and give people a reason to care about both sides.

11 minutes ago, Yexin said:

yeah i agree, that would be the best solution, and yeah, i doubt they'll actually ever make it
ironically, this problem was caused by the very first Farfetched Heroes banner

in the end, i'm pretty sure IS perfectly knows what characters are popular and highly anticipated, and they'll actually make it in, eventually
the main problem is that IS is really inconsistent with this, i mean they added lysithea like not even a whole month after CYL4 ended, but it took 4 years for them to add Jill, even though she's always been quite high in every CYL event

Units take like six months to make. They locked in Lysithea for March long before she won. 

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Units take like six months to make. They locked in Lysithea for March long before she won. 

Yes.

It's like with CYL 2. We have as winners Celica, Ephraim, Hector and Veronica, announced at the end of January. And then in February of that same year, Celica got a Fallen alt, Hector got a Valentines alt, and Ephraim got a Legendary Alt.

But these alts were already planned way before they started the votes for that year's CYL.

Wowie, some people AIN'T happy with these midterms. (Myself included. Why, fandom?! T_T)

If we're talkin' the characters I'M votin' for here, I'm goin' Itsuki all the way. I just want Inty to recognise his existence, dammit!

I think that from CYL6 (wow, has it really been THAT long since the first CYL?) onward they should let you vote for one girl and one boy each day. Might cause a bit of trouble in the fandom when it comes to characters with debated genders like Kyza and Limstella but eh, nobody particularly wants to force their votes into an uneven split 'cause there's a character from the boys' division and a character from the girls' division they wanna give votes to.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

i know, that just shows that IS is well aware about how popular a character is, and that in the end it doesn't matter if people push said character with CYL events

10 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Okay but there's no way they'd ever demote Inigo when Laurent exists and the best banner for Inigo and Severa to get in is alongside Noire and Laurent.

Even if Laurent end up being the demote, Inigo can still be another class than just infantry sword.

F*** I feel like my heart was torn from its chest. And yeah that’s dramatic but I am really hurt. I gave Chrom every vote I ever had, and now he’s losing to an unnamed NPC. I’m not denying that gatekeeper is cool. He’s great and all but come on...

I don’t know. It’s not even like I’m mad, it is like...it physically hurts in a way. I wish I knew how to distract myself from this game...for a year 

The results sure came as a surprise, the reaction even more so. Don't get me wrong, I like Chrom as much as the next person, but going full offense on people who vote for Gatekeeper is just kinda... stupid - and also entirely pointless. CYL is about character popularity, and Gatekeeper - like it or not - is quite popular, for he is a meme. Nothing more to it. Also, Veronica already showed us that you don't have to be an actual "character" to be able to win. I can't see the difference between her and Gatekeeper. Neither of them is really anything special.

With all that being said, I'm still undecided about my last votes. So far it's been Eirika, Eleonora, Leila and Michalis. I'll probably just go with Eirika, just to make sure she wins this year.

19 minutes ago, kuromiko said:

...they should let you vote for one girl and one boy each day. Might cause a bit of trouble in the fandom when it comes to characters with debated genders like Kyza and Limstella...

I'm quite curious actually how they would decide where to put them. Like, I guess they could put Leon and Kyza into male category because even though they use feminine pronouns they are male in Cipher, but Limstella is literally genderless. That could cause problems. What if they actually wanted to do things this way, then realized it couldn't really work, and that's why we have the current (1 vote/day) system instead?

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

There is another problem. Even with the great success of Three Houses, we cant assure that the next game will be released this year or the next one (whether is a remake or not). And if a new game does not happen, then Three Houses will most likely take over some places of the next cyl (if Feh survives to that point lol).

40 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I think the only real change I would make to CYL Voting system is allowing us to vote for a Male and a Female per day. I mean, they dont compete with each other, so why not allow us to vote for both, with the same amount of votes.

THIS. I’ve been thinking about it since the last cyl, and with the... events... that have been happening during the current one is not a crazy idea.

It could be a possible solution for most of the cyl problems now that I think of it.

edit: or cause more of them haha.

Edited by Karuu30

Sometimes this community disgusts me to no end.

Was posting in a Chrom support thread elsewhere. And just got a death threat over it. Like seriously? I'm starting to think I should just avoid all these discusions entirely whenever its up. It drives the fans into the absolute most degenerate mode possible.

5 minutes ago, coldhand25 said:

[snip]

Like, I guess they could put [Leon and] Kyza into male category because even though they use feminine pronouns they are male in Cipher,

[more snip]

That's where the debated part comes in. Yeah sure, official sources refer to Kyza as a dude but most people in the western Radiant Dawn fandom (even in stereotypically dudebro-y spaces like Reddit) see her as a trans girl so I wouldn't be surprised if some sorta flame war gets unleashed if they ever decided to separate votes into Girl Votes and Boy Votes.

2 minutes ago, kuromiko said:

...so I wouldn't be surprised if some sorta flame war gets unleashed if they ever decided to separate votes into Girl Votes and Boy Votes.

Oh yeah, I'm 100% sure however IS would decide would cause a huge flamewar. There really is no "correct" way to do this, and looking at the fandom as it is right now, I wouldn't even dare to try separating the votes.

Just now, IEatLasers said:

Sorry if I came off that way, I didn’t mean to “go on offense of gatekerper fans” at all. I’m just really feeling down myself. 

Oh no no no, there is nothing to apologize for, you didn't do anything wrong! I meant the people (mostly from reddit) who did go full offense. Telling your opinion, and how you feel about things is by no means similar to that.