Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

54 minutes ago, kuromiko said:

That's where the debated part comes in. Yeah sure, official sources refer to Kyza as a dude but most people in the western Radiant Dawn fandom (even in stereotypically dudebro-y spaces like Reddit) see her as a trans girl so I wouldn't be surprised if some sorta flame war gets unleashed if they ever decided to separate votes into Girl Votes and Boy Votes.

Wait -- seriously? I never knew that about Kyza. As in the tiger that appeared alongside Lyre, right? I've never seen the feminine pronouns used for that character. Did I just miss them or something?

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, kuromiko said:

That's where the debated part comes in. Yeah sure, official sources refer to Kyza as a dude but most people in the western Radiant Dawn fandom (even in stereotypically dudebro-y spaces like Reddit) see her as a trans girl so I wouldn't be surprised if some sorta flame war gets unleashed if they ever decided to separate votes into Girl Votes and Boy Votes.

Huh, I hadn't heard any of the Kyza talk until this. That's really interesting, but yeah, potentially very messy.

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Kyza#Trivia

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

Huh, I hadn't heard any of the Kyza talk until this. That's really interesting, but yeah, potentially very messy.

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Kyza#Trivia

Okay, so he's referred to as a "he," and just speaks femininely with close friends. I'm not an expert on this, but isn't there a difference between being somewhat feminine at heart while having the body of a man, and being trans?

1 hour ago, coldhand25 said:

I can't see the difference between her and Gatekeeper. Neither of them is really anything special.

I mean at least Veronica has a cute design. Gatekeeper’s design is as generic copy paste rank and file as they come.

Well i don't see the ladies i want to vote for anywhere in the ladies list, and Itzuki is wayyyy to far down that list, and Walhart and lonqu are not even there. Guess i'll just join the Gatekeeper wagon.

joking, joking. I can't even look at that to be honest, but if anything i just hope he doesn't end up sharing a color with another character when the banner rolls around so i can avoid him completely.

Edited by Sil/phire

Just now, Ottservia said:

I mean at least Veronica has a cute design. Gatekeeper’s design is as generic copy paste rank and file as they come.

That's part of why I like him. If you like him, you like him for him, not for anything else. It just feels so sincere, you know? Like, "It doesn't matter what you look like. What matters is who you are inside." 🙂

So to compare, here's what 4's midterms looked like compared to 5's:

Male

Spoiler

1. Dimitri [TH] / Marth [SD, NM], up 2
2. Claude [TH] / Gatekeeper [TH], new
3. Marth [SD, NM] / Chrom [A], up 1
4. Chrom [A] / Byleth [TH], up 4
5. Seliph [GotHW] / Felix [TH], up 1
6. Felix [TH] / Robin [A], up 1
7. Robin [A] / Yuri [TH], new
8. Byleth [TH] / Seliph [GotHW], down 3
9. Sylvain [TH] / Dedue [TH], new
10. Ashe [TH] / Ashe [TH], same
11. Sigurd [GotHW] / Soren [PoR, RD], up 1
12. Soren [PoR, RD] / Sylvain [TH], down 3
13. Reinhardt [T776] / Sigurd [GotHW], down 2
14. Lif [H] / Alfonse [H], up 1
15. Alfonse [H] / Linhardt [TH], up 3
16. Black Knight [PoR, RD] / Takumi [F], up 3
17. Ferdinand [TH] / Black Knight [PoR, RD], down 1
18. Linhardt [TH] / Itsuki & Chrom [TMS], up 2
19. Takumi [F] / Reinhardt [T776], down 6
20. Itsuki & Chrom [TMS] / Caspar [TH], new

Dropped out: Dimitri [TH], finished as first place male
                        Claude [TH], finished as second place male
                        Lif [H]
                        Ferdinand [TH]

Failed to make it either time: Leo [F]

Female

Spoiler

1. Edelgard [TH] / Eirika [TSS], up 4
2. Lysithea [TH] / Byleth [TH], up 2
3. Bernadetta [TH] / Marianne [TH], up 4
4. Byleth [TH] / Bernadetta [TH], down 1
5. Eirika [TSS] / Corrin [F], up 6
6. Dorothea [TH] / Hilda [TH], up 4
7. Marianne [TH] / Robin [A], up 5
8. Plumeria [H] / Azura [F], up 7
9. Anna [A] / Dorothea [TH], down 3
10. Hilda [TH] / Tharja [A], up 4
11. Corrin [F] / Henriette [H], new
12. Robin [A] / Rhea [TH], up 6
13. Sothis [TH] / Plumeria [H], down 5
14. Tharja [A] / Sothis [TH], down 1
15. Azura [F] / Seiros [TH], new
16. Nino [TBlB] / Constance [TH], new
17. Lilina [TBiB] / Nino [TBlB], down 1
18. Rhea [TH] / Tiki [A], new
19. Jill [PoR, RD] / Ingrid [TH], new
20. Mia [PoR, RD] / Mia [PoR, RD], same

Dropped out: Edelgard [TH], finished as first place female
                        Lysithea [TH], finished as second place female 
                        Anna [A]
                        Lilina [TBiB]
                       Jill [PoR, RD]

Failed to make it either time: Cordelia [A]

If there is at least one good thing that I can take away from 5's midterms, it's that Constance, adult Tiki, Ingrid and Mia are all on the fringes at least.

Edited by Tybrosion

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Awakening isn't getting scraps. At all. It's just feeling the natural effects of having almost all of its representation frontloaded (and thus powercrept).

A lot of Awakening units are still pretty good though, and at least Tharja and BH!Lucina are still top tier powerhouses.

For a literal day one unit, Tharja is pretty bonkers, as she is one of the few units who can combine the might of Blade tomes with the might of Blazing nukes. Cordelia manages to stay pretty competitive to this day with Resplendent stats and extra Flowers. Cherche and Virion are not top tier, but they are still really good units who can fulfill their roles well. In terms of just raw stats, Lucina rivals or surpasses many modern sword units, with her primary draw back being a lack of offensive effects to help take down bulky units. Olivia also aged pretty well, as Dance/Sing is timeless.

For later units, BH!Lucina is one of the best support units in the entire game, matched only by M!Corrin and Flayn. All other Olivias and PA!Inigo are Dancers/Singers, so they cannot really go out of style. CE!Chrom and GA!Lucina are still really good even if their combat performance falls behind since they can function as pseudo-Dancers/Singers to get around Dancer/Singer restrictions. Aversa is not super amazing since she is easy to counter, but she is still a really good support unit in Aether Raids even if she is not the best. Yarne is also really good as he does not need Heavy Blade to trigger his first Galeforce. DH!F!Robin is also pretty decent as a flying tank, and if equipped with Moonbow, she can basically trigger two mini Aethers during every round of combat.

41 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Okay, so he's referred to as a "he," and just speaks femininely with close friends. I'm not an expert on this, but isn't there a difference between being somewhat feminine at heart while having the body of a man, and being trans?

Theoretically, yes. In practice, the difference can be blurry, both in media that might not understand the difference well, and in complicated real-life experiences. I've seen a lot of media that aims for "gay/feminine man" and ends up with a character that a lot of trans women see themselves in, and Kyza sounds like one of those.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Theoretically, yes. In practice, the difference can be blurry, both in media that might not understand the difference well, and in complicated real-life experiences. I've seen a lot of media that aims for "gay/feminine man" and ends up with a character that a lot of trans women see themselves in, and Kyza sounds like one of those.

I guess in that case, it's up to the one in question, then. So, it becomes "Which does Kyza refer to himself as?" doesn't it? Just like it would for someone who behaves somewhat femininely, but still thinks of himself as a man. It's certainly complicated, and I don't think an outside perspective can really definitively call it one way or the other.

7 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I guess in that case, it's up to the one in question, then. So, it becomes "Which does Kyza refer to himself as?" doesn't it? Just like it would for someone who behaves somewhat femininely, but still thinks of himself as a man. It's certainly complicated, and I don't think an outside perspective can really definitively call it one way or the other.

Basically, but yeah, it's complicated. I don't know if Kyza says anything definitive in that regard, but even so, being closeted (or just not fully figuring it out yet) could explain away any of that. It's pretty hard to "prove" a character (or person) isn't trans.

So, yeah, nothing definitive, but I imagine that's part of why the interpretation is so common, and why a definitive grouping from IS could lead to a lot of frustrations.

Edited by Othin

7 minutes ago, Othin said:

Basically, but yeah, it's complicated. I don't know if Kyza says anything definitive in that regard, but even so, being closeted (or just not fully figuring it out yet) could explain away any of that. It's pretty hard to "prove" a character (or person) isn't trans.

So, yeah, nothing definitive, but I imagine that's part of why the interpretation is so common, and why a definitive grouping from IS could lead to a lot of frustrations.

They could also just clarify what Kyza thinks of himself as. That should clear up a lot of things. I don't think they'll bother to do that, though. As for me, I'll stick to the pronouns officially used since that seems to be the safest bet.

4 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Same for as popular of character as she is I’m surprised she hasn’t gotten like a seasonal or resplendent or something. Literally all she’s gotten is a refine and that’s it. It’s more than a little frustrating if you ask me. On the gatekeeper topic. I’d be fine if he got into heroes. I just don’t want him to get a brave alt. It feels like a waste tbh

Maybe it’s a waste to some because he’s a generic no face. Then again is a generic no face with personality, which won the hearts of many, which is a rarity in media in general, possibly because many see themselves in that position instead of the main hero. 
then again, waste is rather subjective. Mine in particular, were last year CYL. Not because of the fan base, but because what IS did to them. They didn’t do anything to them they couldn’t be in their base game, taking away my main appeal of brave heroes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they’re strong, but I’d rather see them using skills and looks they can’t do in their base game than other wise. And another waste to me is........ I’d rather not bring “that” topic again

3 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I wonder what will provoke the worst reactions: the current results remaining as is, or the winners being Gatekeeper, Byleth, Byleth, and Marianne. 👀

Augh.

Here's hoping absolutely nothing changes. (Although Gatekeeper being 1st would be hilarious, as long as Marth is second.)

Edited by Othin

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Augh.

Here's hoping absolutely nothing changes. (Although Gatekeeper being 1st would be hilarious, as long as Marth is second.)

Hey, I’m all for Gatey. I’m thrilled what they could to to him 😂. I’m fine with either Marth or Chrom. So do ladies, as the ones I want have no chance to be on top

26 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I wonder what will provoke the worst reactions: the current results remaining as is, or the winners being Gatekeeper, Byleth, Byleth, and Marianne. 👀

Eh, Gatekeeper winning would at least upgrade into an acceptable loss for me if Eirika simultaneously gets booted on the female side.

Plus, I suppose Byleth's ascension as the god of salt would be such a spectacle that it would make that whole hypothetical shitstorm worth it.

13 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Gatekeeper is literally just trying to keep everyone but Marth away from 1st place and getting hate for it 😭

Aww, what a sweet interpretation! Poor Marth needed someone to hold his position, and not let anyone by him! I kind of want to write a comic script about that, now.

3 hours ago, coldhand25 said:

The results sure came as a surprise, the reaction even more so. Don't get me wrong, I like Chrom as much as the next person, but going full offense on people who vote for Gatekeeper is just kinda... stupid - and also entirely pointless. CYL is about character popularity, and Gatekeeper - like it or not - is quite popular, for he is a meme. Nothing more to it. Also, Veronica already showed us that you don't have to be an actual "character" to be able to win. I can't see the difference between her and Gatekeeper. Neither of them is really anything special.

Even if he wasn't popular, he is a Fire Emblem character, and so deserves one version in Fire Emblem Heroes. He even has some personality to work off of. I'm kind of concerned at the attitude that he and Veronica aren't "actual characters", that has some elitist implications.

It may be tough on Chrom fans, but there's nothing wrong with the five versions you already have to play with.

2 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Even if he wasn't popular, he is a Fire Emblem character, and so deserves one version in Fire Emblem Heroes. He even has some personality to work off of. I'm kind of concerned at the attitude that he and Veronica aren't "actual characters", that has some elitist implications.

It may be tough on Chrom fans, but there's nothing wrong with the five versions you already have to play with.

What Gatekeeper and Veronica do have in common is that they aren't playable in any pre-Heroes game. I think that's an important distinction, but still, Heroes can afford room both for OCs and for NPCs.

10 hours ago, SockPuppet said:

Eirika!! Oh my gosh I am so excited!! If anyone could spare a vote to secure Eirkia’s spot, it would be very much appreciated!! 😭💕

Yes please! After so many years of waiting, this is just magical!! :'3

13 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

Anyway I'm voting for Eirika from now on. She isn't my favorite character who has a shot, but let's face it Bernie ain't beating both Marianne and Byleth. Might as well make sure Eirika keeps her position, she deserves a win and so does Marth.

YES!! Thank you so so much for this! Again, I hope she gets the top spot after so long!!

9 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Exactly why he would make a great Halloween unit. I made a mockup of a 3H Halloween banner before, putting special emphasis on Ashe, Anette, and Alois (plus Mercedes, but she was NOT helping the other three's nerves, being one to tell scary stories) investigating an old, abandoned manor. There had been reports of people catching glimpses of someone there, even though no one had lived there for a long time. The heroes needed to check it out and make sure everything was safe (duty and all that, though they were all (except for Mercedes) terrified.) Turns out it was just Marianne getting some alone time with the critters who had taken up residence there.

This is perfect xD That would be both so wholesome and so hilarious!!

3 hours ago, coldhand25 said:

With all that being said, I'm still undecided about my last votes. So far it's been Eirika, Eleonora, Leila and Michalis. I'll probably just go with Eirika, just to make sure she wins this year.

Thank YOU so very much too, this makes me so happy to hear!!

35 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Aww, what a sweet interpretation! Poor Marth needed someone to hold his position, and not let anyone by him! I kind of want to write a comic script about that, now.

Another wholesome idea, I'd love to see it someday if you choose to write it! 😄

4 hours ago, coldhand25 said:

The results sure came as a surprise, the reaction even more so. Don't get me wrong, I like Chrom as much as the next person, but going full offense on people who vote for Gatekeeper is just kinda... stupid - and also entirely pointless. CYL is about character popularity, and Gatekeeper - like it or not - is quite popular, for he is a meme. Nothing more to it. Also, Veronica already showed us that you don't have to be an actual "character" to be able to win. I can't see the difference between her and Gatekeeper. Neither of them is really anything special.

With all that being said, I'm still undecided about my last votes. So far it's been Eirika, Eleonora, Leila and Michalis. I'll probably just go with Eirika, just to make sure she wins this year.

I'm quite curious actually how they would decide where to put them. Like, I guess they could put Leon and Kyza into male category because even though they use feminine pronouns they are male in Cipher, but Limstella is literally genderless. That could cause problems. What if they actually wanted to do things this way, then realized it couldn't really work, and that's why we have the current (1 vote/day) system instead?

Limstella is physically genderless, but shed obviously go in the female category.

Personally I:m of the opinioin that the winners shouldn:t be split by gender at all. Why not just the top 4? It:s not like the number 3 girl is less deserving of victory if she happens to get more votes than the number 1 male. And I don:t think this would necessarily be an unblance of gender at the top (if that were of any concern to someone, personally its not to me). Tharja was more popular than Roy in the first round and Marth was more popular than Lysethia in the fourth round, yet the gender split just discounts them entirely (and there would have been no difference to rounds 2 and 3 if gender wasn:t divided). #removeTheGendectorialCollege

Edited by Jotari