Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

15 hours ago, Kaden said:

People vote for shit. Figuratively and literally. It's why there are so many votes for Arden, Brigand Boss, gatekeeper, and the botted votes for Jorge as much as there are votes for Celica, Ephraim, Ike, or Lyn. You could put a piece of fucking cardboard as an option and people would vote for it to the point where it legitimately wins. Don't even get started with voting on life-changing decisions e.g. look at any country.

CHILL.

14 hours ago, Gordin said:

YAHOOOOOO! CASPAR IN TOP 20!!!! LET'S GOOO~ OUR DREAM OF TOP 10 HAS AN ACTUAL CHANCE NOW!!!

If I had an extra vote, I'd throw one his way. . .because I can get behind this enthusiasm~!

10 hours ago, SockPuppet said:

Eirika!! Oh my gosh I am so excited!! If anyone could spare a vote to secure Eirkia’s spot, it would be very much appreciated!! 😭💕

I did.  You're welcome.

9 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I love how the Gatekeeper and Camilla both gets a negative reaction for making in Top 2 but apparently disliking Gatekeeper is rude to his fans but hating on Camilla is fine (yes I'd say Camilla is hated on while Gatekeeper is just disliked).

I haven't suspended anyone for Gatekeeper yet.  I've suspended multiple people over Camilla.  And may I remind you of the opening post of this thread?  It's for a reason.

9 hours ago, Florete said:

EDIT: Wait, I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to talk about this I'm sorry Eclipse please don't smite me.

No worries~!

6 hours ago, Faellin said:

I'm honestly curious if IS is going to do some behind the scenes vote shuffling last second. I've seen some games that do these kinds of popularity contests do that. And if done right its pretty much untraceable.

Can you prove any of this, especially for FEH?  Otherwise, this goes into the "conspiracy theory" folder.

4 hours ago, Faellin said:

Sometimes this community disgusts me to no end.

Was posting in a Chrom support thread elsewhere. And just got a death threat over it. Like seriously? I'm starting to think I should just avoid all these discusions entirely whenever its up. It drives the fans into the absolute most degenerate mode possible.

If it happened here, please send me a PM and I'll help you get to the bottom of it.  If it didn't happen here, then what the hell do you want us to do about it?

---

To say that I'm disappointed with the reaction to the midterm results is an understatement.  I don't care what your views on the Gatekeeper are, but be respectful.  And being petty is NOT being respectful.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Othin said:

What Gatekeeper and Veronica do have in common is that they aren't playable in any pre-Heroes game. I think that's an important distinction, but still, Heroes can afford room both for OCs and for NPCs.

I don't think it's that important. There's a whole archetype based around a sympathetic character who doesn't join your army for tragic reasons; and they tend to be decently popular (e.g. Eldigan was the 4th highest ranked FE4 character in CYL1). Kein and Alva were playable before February 2017, but that doesn't make them interesting characters (that said, they still have the potential to be with some character development).

What it comes down to is, not judging somebody's reasons for liking a character. If they want to vote for an OC villain, an NPC, or even just a cool-looking character they know absolutely nothing about, their vote is just as good as anyone else's.

Holy crap, what is wrong with people?!

I thought the Camilla hate in CYL 3 was horrible but at least there were no death threats (that I know of) and people didn't harass her VA or the Fates team or anyone. Man, I'm sorry for you all Gatekeeper fans that have to put up with this crap, and I'm sorry for McCarley.

The "Fire Emblem fans" that complained to him personally on Twitter are not clowns, they are the entire circus! How did they come to the conclusion that what they did was in any way reasonable? Even if there was actually something wrong with GK's high placement (like botted votes) you should go complain to IS, not some innocent voice actor.

Sheesh, it's scary what this popularity contest can do to people. It's a good thing I don't use twitter and can't see the worst of it.

But even here in the most civil place I can think of in which FEH is discussed there are some bad takes that put a bad taste in my mouth.

From bringing back how awful and undeserved Camilla's victory was (it happened. Nothing can change that. Move on. Plus it's against the rules to discuss it), to calling NPCs and Heroes OCs not-real characters, to bringing back the argument that some Awakening characters are defined by one or two character traits (please tell me more about Vyland's amazing personality, or what a deep character Tobin was even before the remake) and similar elitist discourse that I thought was behind us.

At this point I'm half expecting people to start complaining about Itsuki because he isn't a "true Fire Emblem character" and also TMS sucks.

Everyone is allowed to their opinion, but you also have to respect people who have the opposite opinion as you.

Just because you can't see anything good about a character it doesn't mean that something isn't there, just that the character is not for you. And there's no such thing as a "fake character" or "unworthy character".

Every single character votable in CYL has a personality and a role they play.

Even the one-off bosses like Gromell (his personality is being cocky and dumb), Haitaka (his personality is being extremely loyal to his country and nationalistic) and Brigand Boss (his personality is being a low-life as*hole who kidnaps young girls to do horrible things to them. Completely unredeemable bad guy).

And for the rare cases like Cain from Thracia and his one line of dialogue, or Altina and her zero lines of dialogue, getting in the game can be an opportunity to actually give them a personality. It worked wonders for Altina and other very minor characters like Ronan, Mustafa and Leila, so what's the loss?

No vote is a wrong vote, and no character is a non-character, least of all the sweet Gatekeeper, so stop being mean to him! I've changed from being neutral to his victory to actually hoping he pulls it off (as long as he doesn't kick Marth out, that would make me sad).

Uff, I actually got pretty worked up over this. Rant's over, sorry for the wall of text but this needed to be said. In fact, I think I will post this exact paragraph on my blog. 

Now back to more positive thoughts, I'm happy to see many people here saying they will keep voting Marth and Eirika. They could really make it if we don't give up, keep fighting the good fight!

And to all the people who are voting other characters, keep doing you! Your fave isn't less deserving of a vote than any other character.

15 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Personally I:m of the opinioin that the winners shouldn:t be split by gender at all. Why not just the top 4? It:s not like the number 3 girl is less deserving of victory if she happens to get more votes than the number 1 male. And I don:t think this would necessarily be an unblance of gender at the top (if that were of any concern to someone, personally its not to me). Tharja was more popular than Roy in the first round and Marth was more popular than Lysethia in the fourth round, yet the gender split just discounts them entirely (and there would have been no difference to rounds 2 and 3 if gender wasn:t divided). #removeTheGendectorialCollege

So what you're saying is Tharja was robbed just like Marth and we should rally for her in CYL 6? Got it ♡

😙

18 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Holy crap, what is wrong with people?!

I thought the Camilla hate in CYL 3 was horrible but at least there were no death threats (that I know of) and people didn't harass her VA or the Fates team or anyone. Man, I'm sorry for you all Gatekeeper fans that have to put up with this crap, and I'm sorry for McCarley.

The "Fire Emblem fans" that complained to him personally on Twitter are not clowns, they are the entire circus! How did they come to the conclusion that what they did was in any way reasonable? Even if there was actually something wrong with GK's high placement (like botted votes) you should go complain to IS, not some innocent voice actor.

Sheesh, it's scary what this popularity contest can do to people. It's a good thing I don't use twitter and can't see the worst of it.

But even here in the most civil place I can think of in which FEH is discussed there are some bad takes that put a bad taste in my mouth.

From bringing back how awful and undeserved Camilla's victory was (it happened. Nothing can change that. Move on. Plus it's against the rules to discuss it), to calling NPCs and Heroes OCs not-real characters, to bringing back the argument that some Awakening characters are defined by one or two character traits (please tell me more about Vyland's amazing personality, or what a deep character Tobin was even before the remake) and similar elitist discourse that I thought was behind us.

At this point I'm half expecting people to start complaining about Itsuki because he isn't a "true Fire Emblem character" and also TMS sucks.

Everyone is allowed to their opinion, but you also have to respect people who have the opposite opinion as you.

Just because you can't see anything good about a character it doesn't mean that something isn't there, just that the character is not for you. And there's no such thing as a "fake character" or "unworthy character".

Every single character votable in CYL has a personality and a role they play.

Even the one-off bosses like Gromell (his personality is being cocky and dumb), Haitaka (his personality is being extremely loyal to his country and nationalistic) and Brigand Boss (his personality is being a low-life as*hole who kidnaps young girls to do horrible things to them. Completely unredeemable bad guy).

And for the rare cases like Cain from Thracia and his one line of dialogue, or Altina and her zero lines of dialogue, getting in the game can be an opportunity to actually give them a personality. It worked wonders for Altina and other very minor characters like Ronan, Mustafa and Leila, so what's the loss?

No vote is a wrong vote, and no character is a non-character, least of all the sweet Gatekeeper, so stop being mean to him! I've changed from being neutral to his victory to actually hoping he pulls it off

THANK. YOU. I totally agree. Seriously; thank you for putting to words what I felt.

@DefyingFates

Thanks! I could write up a script for the 3H Halloween too, though I'm not entirely sure where I'd post these. There was a thread for fanmade support conversations a while back, but this is kind of on another level, I think. Guess I could make a thread for it or something.

As for the Marth and Gatekeeper thing, sure! It's germane to the CYL5 topic, so I don't see why it couldn't be put in here, if it's cool with you and Eclipse.

37 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

So what you're saying is Tharja was robbed just like Marth and we should rally for her in CYL 6? Got it ♡

😙

Well no...b...but yes? I just want better democracy dagnabit.

4 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

(Brief reminder that I'm not against Gatekeeper, I'm actually mostly indifferent.)

What... I spent most of today watching movies, what in the goddamn did I miss???

People seems to be pretty pissed off an NPC like the Gatekeeper is in second place mid CYL for dudes. They are even harassing his VA 🤢. Geez, and I thought Camilla hate was bad, AND I WAS ONE OF THEM 😂

Edited by Midnox

5 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

What... I spent most of today watching movies, what in the goddamn did I miss???

Eh not much, just the usual anarchy this event tends to cause and Twitter in particular being a radioactive cesspool so just another average day there.

42 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

People are seriously harassing a VA over CYL interim results

And daily reminder: This is a popularity contest for a glorified strategy game on a phone. If you really feel that going after the VA, when he has little to do with this contest, is justified in any way because a character is beating your favorite, then you really need to rethink your priorities.

I saw a random account directly tweeting at Kyle that someone else should replace him as the voice of Soren because he is so "ungrateful" for the role that he would rather promote Gatekeeper over him... 😕 Like... people need to relax.

17 hours ago, Mercakete said:

As for the Marth and Gatekeeper thing, sure! It's germane to the CYL5 topic, so I don't see why it couldn't be put in here, if it's cool with you and Eclipse.

Putting this here for now. It's just a rough, but it's something.

Cain: Milord! I have great news!

Marth: Oh? What is it, Cain?

Cain: The messenger owl just returned with a report on how the conference of summoners across the worlds goes.

Marth: Really? How exciting! Perhaps it is because of how many summoners congregate for that purpose, but every year after the conference, new, powerful heroes join us in our fight for the peace of Askr. Who does it look like will rally to us this year?

Cain: These results are not final yet, but for the men's division... It seems as though the summoners are favoring milord!

Marth: Me?

Cain: Is something wrong?

Marth: I...just am surprised, I suppose. This is not Altea. I do not provide any special advantage to Askr's cause, myself. I wonder why the summoners are considering me...

Cain: It may well be because of the very character you are displaying right now. You are kind and humble, if I may say so, milord.

Marth: I do not see myself as especially kind or humble...but thank you for your words all the same, Cain.

Cain: Gracious as ever! In fact, I've heard rumors that in previous conferences, you were highly considered, but others' voices rose toward the end and changed the final results. Suspicious characters have been coming to Askr in greater numbers lately, as well... I spoke with Abel, Jegan and Merric about this, and we all agreed that extra protection may be prudent during this time.

Marth: Is there truly anything to be worried about?

Cain: One cannot be too careful when it comes to such mysterious matters, milord.

Marth: I...suppose?

Cain: At any rate, this man will be able to stand by you as the results continue to be weighed. The rest of us have other places we need to be when the results are called. The professor, Byleth, has vouched for him, and offers his support as well in case he is granted a nearer position to milord.

Gatekeeper: Greetings, Prince Marth! As Sir Cain has explained, I will stand at the ready nearby to ensure that no ill fate befalls you this year!

Marth: Ill fate...? Other heroes being chosen over me is hardly something I would call an ill fate, particularly if the congregation of summoners deemed it in Askr's best interest.

Cain: All the same, milord, please accept this extra guard.

Gatekeeper: I do have extensive experience in keeping vigil, your highness. I hold my post no matter what!

Marth: Well... Alright then, um...

Gatekeeper: No need for informality, your highness! Simply calling me "Gatekeeper" will do just fine.

Marth: If that is your preference, then...very well, Gatekeeper. I appreciate your support.

Gatekeeper: Whether in calm or in trouble, you can rely on me to remain alert! As for right now, I am happy to say that there is nothing to report.

Marth: Heh. Good. Let us hope it stays that way.

Gatekeeper: Yes, sir!

Edited by Mercakete

1 minute ago, Mercakete said:

Putting this here for now. It's just a rough, but it's something.

Cain: Milord! I have great news!

Marth: Oh? What is it, Cain?

Cain: The messenger owl just returned with an report on how the conference of summoners across the worlds goes.

Marth: Really? How exciting! Perhaps it is because of how many summoners congregate for that purpose, but every year after the conference, new, powerful heroes join us in our fight for the peace of Askr. Who does it look like will rally to us this year?

Cain: These results are not final yet, but for the men's division... It seems as though the summoners are favoring milord!

Marth: Me?

Cain: Is something wrong?

Marth: I...just am surprised, I suppose. This is not Altea. I do not provide any special advantage to Askr's cause, myself. I wonder why the summoners are considering me...

Cain: It may well be because of the very character you are displaying right now. You are kind and humble, if I may say so, milord.

Marth: I do not see myself as especially kind or humble...but thank you for your words all the same, Cain.

Cain: Gracious as ever! In fact, I've heard rumors that in previous conferences, you were highly considered, but others' voices rose toward the end and changed the final results. Suspicious characters have been coming to Askr in greater numbers lately, as well... I spoke with Abel, Jegan and Merric about this, and we all agreed that extra protection may be prudent during this time.

Marth: Is there truly anything to be worried about?

Cain: One cannot be too careful when it comes to such mysterious matters, milord.

Marth: I...suppose?

Cain: At any rate, this man will be able to stand by you as the results continued to be weighed. The rest of us have other places we need to be when the results are called. The professor, Byleth, has vouched for him, and offers his support as well in case he is granted a nearer position to milord.

Gatekeeper: Greetings, Prince Marth! As Sir Cain has explained, I will stand at the ready nearby to ensure that no ill fate befalls you this year!

Marth: Ill fate...? Other heroes being chosen over me is hardly something I would call an ill fate, particularly if the congregation of summoners deemed it in Askr's best interest.

Cain: All the same, milord, please accept this extra guard.

Gatekeeper: I do have extensive experience in keeping vigil, your highness. I hold my post no matter what!

Marth: Well... Alright then, um...

Gatekeeper: No need for informality, your highness! Simply calling me "Gatekeeper" will do just fine.

Marth: If that is your preference, then...very well, Gatekeeper. I appreciate your support.

Gatekeeper: Whether in calm or in trouble, you can rely on me to remain alert! As for right now, I am happy to say that there is nothing to report.

Marth: Heh. Good. Let us hope it stays that way.

Gatekeeper: Yes, sir!

This is the kind of wholesome crossover content FEH is supposed to be all about, love it!

Just now, Book Bro said:

This is the kind of wholesome crossover content FEH is supposed to be all about, love it!

Thank you! ^w^

Edit: Also, edited out a typo from that script.

Edited by Mercakete

I gotta say that a year (and then some) of living through a worldwide pandemic is driving people out of their minds.

While I'm certain that some people are always going to be petty about an Internet popularity contest about pixels, I think what has happened in the past year has just made people a lot more irritable and high-strung and short-tempered. A lot of us haven't been able to really go outside or do anything productive, and a part of me can see how the stress of everything can be boiling over into anything that gets our emotions running.

And on the other hand, the FE fandom is just bad sometimes. Maybe it's a little bit of both.

37 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well no...b...but yes? I just want better democracy dagnabit.

"I love democracy" ~ Palpatine, while presenting the new rules of CYL to the public xD

@Mercakete

Not bad at all for a first draft. At least something good is coming out of this mess of an event.

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I gotta say that a year (and then some) of living through a worldwide pandemic is driving people out of their minds.

While I'm certain that some people are always going to be petty about an Internet popularity contest about pixels, I think what has happened in the past year has just made people a lot more irritable and high-strung and short-tempered. A lot of us haven't been able to really go outside or do anything productive, and a part of me can see how the stress of everything can be boiling over into anything that gets our emotions running.

And on the other hand, the FE fandom is just bad sometimes. Maybe it's a little bit of both.

I agree. A bit of column A and a bit of column B.

Just now, GrandeRampel said:

"I love democracy" ~ Palpatine, while presenting the new rules of CYL to the public xD

@Mercakete

Not bad at all for a first draft. At least something good is coming out of this mess of an event.

Thank you! ^w^ I appreciate the compliment. (Though it did have a typo. *shakes fist* )

21 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

CYL and VG have been like that since the very start, the latter with even lower stakes (only the satisfaction of one's favourite character "winning"). The harassment of Gatekeeper's VA might be new, but I vaguely recall there was some other time when a VA was harassed.

Edited by Baldrick

20 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

I mean, while I can understand to a point the "2020 was an awful year" argument (Believe me, 2020 was easily the worst year of my life, to the point I was at the verge of a panic attack), I really don't think it can be used as an excuse for what's going on here. Most of the people badly reacting to this are the same suspects from previous years. I'm sure I could pull up some CYL threads from previous years and the reactions wouldn't be that different.

As much as I love FEH as a game, CYL as a concept, and several unpopular characters (Tharja, Camilla, gatekeeper, etc.), I hate how they've brought out the worst in this fandom.

Edited by Jave

37 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Manfroy (who lets face it is Fire Emblem Palpatine plot beat for plot beat) has decreed in addition to gender, voting shall henceforth be split between age, with a youngsters category and an oldsters category. Anyone with facial hair is automatically in the oldsters category. Furthermore emergency powers are to be granted to archbishop Manfroy immediatly and he has decreed Genealogy should be split between Gen 1 and Gen 2 with only him getting combined votes (since hes the only character who doesn:t change their character design between generations). He has made one extra decree, voting shall also be split by colour giving a grand total of sixteen categories (male and female oldsters and youngsters for each of the four colours). Manfroy being a tome user is of course permitted for voting in all categories and will have combined votes in each one.

(yeah even with all that vote stacking he:d stand no chance of winning)

Edited by Jotari

@Mercakete I'll allow it on the condition that it turns into a series, and is shoved into Written Works!  😛

Everyone else: IN THE END, this is a popularity contest.  Your identity does not rest on the results of this.  The world will not end if a certain character makes it/doesn't make it in.  I'm not paid enough in cute cat pictures to monitor (insert non-SF site here).  So whining about said sites here because they're misbehaving isn't going to do anything productive.  The best I can do is make sure that the posts here are some semblance of civil and on-topic.