Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

For the record, I don't begrudge anyone their opinions, joy, or anger at any result. We all have our favorites, and everything is unfortunately a zero-sum game. One person's victory is another person's defeat.

Unfortunately, I expect the results and the next year of banners to be a disappointment to me personally. Half of my favorite characters aren't in. I get it. I like a lot of middling or unpopular characters.

But I also love this time of year, because it's all about throwing support behind those favorites and sharing genuine passion for the franchise.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the first year I was able to vote for Sophia, pity that it didn't last long xD. 

I want to make sure Marth/Eirika win this year and don't fall again. Next year I'll be full of Sophia/Nino votes... I hope this doesn't age badly.

18 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

And for the rare cases like Cain from Thracia and his one line of dialogue, or Altina and her zero lines of dialogue, getting in the game can be an opportunity to actually give them a personality. It worked wonders for Altina and other very minor characters like Ronan, Mustafa and Leila, so what's the loss?

No vote is a wrong vote, and no character is a non-character, least of all the sweet Gatekeeper, so stop being mean to him! I've changed from being neutral to his victory to actually hoping he pulls it off (as long as he doesn't kick Marth out, that would make me sad).

This is why Rickard (from Shadow Dragon) is one of my most-wanted characters! He’s a terrible unit in his game, but he’s one of the most memorable minor characters from SD due to his comical dialogue and cute appearance. I’d love for him to have new art and his dialogue could expand his character more.

I’m indifferent to the Gatekeeper (though I’m amused by the possibility of him winning). However, I’m tired of hearing “People only like (insert character) because of memes.” It’s not nearly as irritating as “People only like Camilla because of her breasts” (Don’t even get me started on this one—she’s not only my all-time favorite FE character, but one of my favorite fictional characters) but it still irks me to no end.

Memes aside, Oliver was one of the more memorable Tellius characters, and to me one of the most memorable FE villains. I haven’t played Thracia 776 (I don’t have any way to do so) but I love Reinhardt from Heroes alone. I have a weakness for Byronic, elegant, “tall, dark and handsome” types, I love his outfit, his voice and his dialogue. From what I’ve read on FE Wiki, he seems like an interesting character in his native game. On top of all that, he’s an excellent unit. I’d gladly vote for him in CYL.

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Unless August constantly tells his lord to be careful after his lord explains his logic, he's already beaten Merlinus.

That being said, Archanea is suffering - the roster is huge, there's more than one Tomas, AND we're not due for another remake.  FE4/5 have a shot in hell of that, at least!

True, if we get a Genealogy remake by this time next year I expect the votes will shoot right up. Though I'm not exclusively a Jugdral voter, I've thrown one the way of my man Medeus who's been done dirty so far.

I'm greatly amused at all the people touting Gatekeeper as a blank NPC when the main character themself has less lines and personality.

All I know about this CYL is, if people are really going to get this butthurt over Gatekeeper winning and Chrom not getting a sixth goddamn alt, then they deserve to get memed.

1 hour ago, Some Jerk said:

I'm greatly amused at all the people touting Gatekeeper as a blank NPC when the main character themself has less lines and personality.

All I know about this CYL is, if people are really going to get this butthurt over Gatekeeper winning and Chrom not getting a sixth goddamn alt, then they deserve to get memed.

Agreed. This is part of why I’d be ticked off if not just one, but BOTH Byleths win CYL before either Corrin or Robin.

1 hour ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

This is why Rickard (from Shadow Dragon) is one of my most-wanted characters! He’s a terrible unit in his game, but he’s one of the most memorable minor characters from SD due to his comical dialogue and cute appearance. I’d love for him to have new art and his dialogue could expand his character more.

I’m indifferent to the Gatekeeper (though I’m amused by the possibility of him winning). However, I’m tired of hearing “People only like (insert character) because of memes.” It’s not nearly as irritating as “People only like Camilla because of her breasts” (Don’t even get me started on this one—she’s not only my all-time favorite FE character, but one of my favorite fictional characters) but it still irks me to no end.

Memes aside, Oliver was one of the more memorable Tellius characters, and to me one of the most memorable FE villains. I haven’t played Thracia 776 (I don’t have any way to do so) but I love Reinhardt from Heroes alone. I have a weakness for Byronic, elegant, “tall, dark and handsome” types, I love his outfit, his voice and his dialogue. From what I’ve read on FE Wiki, he seems like an interesting character in his native game. On top of all that, he’s an excellent unit. I’d gladly vote for him in CYL.

First, are you copying and pasting from elsewhere?  If you swap the theme to Dark Forest, your post's readability goes down the drain.

Second, I asked TC to put the Camilla clause in there for a reason.  The last discussion involving her was nice enough to die on its own.  Please don't bring her up again (even if it is a valid comparison).

Lastly, tall, dark, and handsome?  What's your thoughts on Hubert joining his liege as a brave alt? (he's not my type of handsome, but I can understand why some feel that he is)

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

True, if we get a Genealogy remake by this time next year I expect the votes will shoot right up. Though I'm not exclusively a Jugdral voter, I've thrown one the way of my man Medeus who's been done dirty so far.

I hope that Medeus shows up as a mythic - he deserves SOMETHING, and a mere GHB feels like an insult to his power.

The fastest way to get Sigurd/Deirdre's million alts is for a Jugdral remake. . .I'm not sure if they'll retool the story, though.  But hey, if it makes it so that I can actually complete FE4, I'm for it~!

2 minutes ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Agreed. This is part of why I’d be ticked off if not just one, but BOTH Byleths win CYL before either Corrin or Robin.

. . .that's a point I never considered.  Gatekeeper has preset lines and a personality, while Byleth is the center of the story FSR.  I can understand the design decision behind Byleth's lack of personality, though.

3 hours ago, Troykv said:

I want to make sure Marth/Eirika win this year and don't fall again. Next year I'll be full of Sophia/Nino votes... I hope this doesn't age badly.

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it! Thank you so much, I hope Marth and Eirika stay in first place too!

And as soon as Eirika wins I'm switching to Nino myself too, so I hope your comment ages well too :P

As with the past few years I'm once again voting for Wolt every day.  My boy will get his OG version someday!  i hope...

Interim results with Gatekeeper is honestly hilarious but it's not gonna change anything for me.  I am pretty curious what IS will do if he actually wins though, far more than Chrom or Marth who can just get like, protagonisty things.  

8 minutes ago, Magical Glace said:

As with the past few years I'm once again voting for Wolt every day.  My boy will get his OG version someday!  i hope...

Interim results with Gatekeeper is honestly hilarious but it's not gonna change anything for me.  I am pretty curious what IS will do if he actually wins though, far more than Chrom or Marth who can just get like, protagonisty things.  

Yeah thats why I hope  he wins as it'd be more interesting then an alt for a character who already has 5 different versions in Heroes.

Like Alm is one of my favourite lords, but I'd rather any echoes character without an alt get an alt (ideally one that actually switches their class to another one they can be in Echoes) rather than get another Alm Alt since he has enough frankly.

Or even just characters not in Heroes, like Jedah or Kamui or maybe even Dancer young King Lima IV who's constantly doing really terrible flirting.

I think it's important to note that at the time Alm was voted in first place for CYL3, he had not received a single alt at all despite scoring high in CYL2. He got a shitton of votes by like ... a lot.

This is a bit preemptive, but I saw a post on twitter where they had Gatekeeper as a Hero. Assuming the results stay the way they are, how would these characters be implemented?

Byleth could either be a staff unit or Sothis 2.0 wearing the Sothis Regalia. Gatekeeper could be a Great Knight Axe Cavalier pls. I don't know enough about Eirika, Marth, or their games to theorycraft anything.

11 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Or even just characters not in Heroes, like Jedah or Kamui or maybe even Dancer young King Lima IV who's constantly doing really terrible flirting.

You can't vote for Lima in this because he is not on the ballot, and neither is Liprica for that matter. 

While they fixed a lot of the NPC blind spots this time (mostly for Blazing Blade and Tellius), they definitely did not get all of them.

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

You can't vote for Lima in this because he is not on the ballot, and neither is Liprica for that matter. 

While they fixed a lot of the NPC blind spots this time (mostly for Blazing Blade and Tellius), they definitely did not get all of them.

Yeah I know but that's the kinda wacky non-canon stuff I'd want from Heroes, I want weird interesting stuff rather than "Here's a character that's already in the game 5 times with a different oufit and some new dialogue that may or may not be awful."

Or at least characters like Kamui so the Valbar/Leon/Kamui circle isn't broken.

As opposed to sticking characters we already have in fetish outfits. (Bunny suits, underwear and those Pelgian outfits.)

Edited by Samz707

8 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

This is a bit preemptive, but I saw a post on twitter where they had Gatekeeper as a Hero. Assuming the results stay the way they are, how would these characters be implemented?

Byleth could either be a staff unit or Sothis 2.0 wearing the Sothis Regalia. Gatekeeper could be a Great Knight Axe Cavalier pls. I don't know enough about Eirika, Marth, or their games to theorycraft anything.

If the winners are Eirika, Marth, Byleth, and Gatekeeper, my hope would be:

• Byleth: Sword infantry (Snow Mercurius)
  • Gatekeeper: Lance infantry (???)
  • Eirika: Green tome cavalry (Sacred Excalibur)
  • Marth: Staff infantry (Aum)

Byleth, Eirika, and Marth were already my speculation for them based on previous CYLs, so Gatekeeper rounds it out nicely.

Edited by Othin

16 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

Not sure about Marth or Eirika, but Byleth with Sothis regalia as staff, and Gatey as a Holy Knight with a surprise crest or something ...... actually that sounds unlikely with Gatey. I want him to win just to find out

Edited by Midnox

My third vote has been cast for Marth, and my sixth overall.

1: Brom (PoR)
2: Brom (RD)
3: Brom (PoR)
4: Marth (3/12)
5: Marth (3/12)
6: Marth (3/12)
7:

I'm thinking about using my last vote for Brom (RD) because it's gonna drive me nuts that the PoR/RD ratio there is uneven.

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

or maybe even Dancer young King Lima IV who's constantly doing really terrible flirting.

Oh man. I kind of want this except that it would probably be less funny and more creepy since I think Lima was canonically extremely entitled and promiscuous (and he wasn't a dancer so much as he had a bunch of dancers.) That would be interesting, though... Imagine the conversations with Celica, Conrad and Alm! And maybe even Rudolf, too. And Mila.

@Lemmy

ELENA

Edited by Mercakete

19 hours ago, Yexin said:

hey, that's not a wasted vote

in fact, i thank you for that

Funny that she just showed up as a new Mythic Hero.... as a manakete Seiros, but definitely throwing my orbs for her 

Late to all of this which sucks because that means I only get like 2 votes now but it's ok. All of them are going towards Marianne in hopes that she can get 2nd place at least.

Also, very glad to see Gatekeeper up in the top. Unironically a character I liked a lot when playing 3 Houses and think he is just as "deserving" as any other character. Especially since npc's like Leila, Jorge (who I honestly don't believe got botted to the top like some claim), Merlinus, and Rinea are already in the game and he's, imho, just as good, if not better, of a character than some of them despite not even being named.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

3 hours ago, LoneStar said:

If I had to guess, I think they'd do the following

• Marth: Green Mage Flier
  • Gatekeeper: Lance Infatry
  • Byleth: Colorless Mageor Staff Infantry
  • Erika: Sword Armor

Gatekeeper being a Lance Infantry is a no-brainer since he's based off the soldier class in 3 Houses. Byleth being a colorless mage or staff user also makes sense since the enlightened one class was proficient in Faith which makes it a shoe-in for colorless magic / staffs imo. Erika and Marth are honestly toss-ups since neither anything buf swords so the devs will have to take creative liberties with them. Erika could have her alt be based off her father, who is an armor unit in the creature campaign and uses a sword. Marth could have his alt based on his study buddies, Caeda and Merric, who could have taught him to fly and use Magic in his spare time.