Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/26/2021 at 7:08 PM, eclipse said:

First, are you copying and pasting from elsewhere?  If you swap the theme to Dark Forest, your post's readability goes down the drain.

Lastly, tall, dark, and handsome?  What's your thoughts on Hubert joining his liege as a brave alt? (he's not my type of handsome, but I can understand why some feel that he is)

. . .that's a point I never considered.  Gatekeeper has preset lines and a personality, while Byleth is the center of the story FSR.  I can understand the design decision behind Byleth's lack of personality, though.

1. I usually type messages in Notes on my cellphone, so that way I don't lose my progress if I lose internet connection, the page refreshes, etc. I've noticed that my posts sometimes post in larger font than normal, but I'm not sure how to fix that. 😆 Even this quote formatted strangely on my end (it loses the context of the original conversation).

2. I find Hubert somewhat good-looking, though this is offset by his general creepiness. I'd probably find him more attractive if he had Jakob's personality...or find Jakob (even) more attractive if he had Hubert's hair. I could live with Hubert having a brave alt, though years from now, and I feel like other 3H characters would win before him, from the looks of the CYL midterm results. After last year, and possibly this year, I'm tired of seeing 3H characters win CYL.

3. Byleth's lack of personality makes it hard for me to feel anything but neutral towards him/her. Part of what I love about Corrin is that s/he had a clear personality, and a very endearing one at that. Seeing that female Corrin was in the Top 5 for the interim results, I'm strongly considering throwing some votes her way next year.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:01 AM, Hengki Kusuma Adi said:

I gave all my votes to Caeda but she still never shows up at Top 20 Interim Results. She's the character all my time favorite and princess that started of it all just like Marth and deserves need more recognition (like in her Legendary form) after having some alternatives: Bride attire, her Mirage form inside Tsubasa, and younger form compared to her husband which has Groom attire, Legendary Hero, Christmas attire, and his younger form.

Yay, another Caeda fan! She is one of my top 10 favorite Fire Emblem characters. I would love to see her rise higher in CYL.

18 hours ago, Medeus said:

For males, Gatekeeper I'm certain will stay Top 2 and may even surpass Marth for #1. People already voted him up to that point without thinking he'd get that high, now that people have seen how far he's come they're going to double down and push even more for the character.

Kinda similarly of what happened to Veronica back in CYL2

All of my votes went to my girl Byleth. Best teacher deserves it. 

Predicting the final results is interesting. We’ve had two cases of the (meaningful) standings remaining the same in CYL1/4, and two having more drastic changes to the placements with CYL2/3. Honestly, I think we’re looking at the former. With the males being as cutthroat as is, I think enough attention has been diverted from the females for the traffic to remain more or less the same and Byleth is popular enough to hold off Marianne. As for the guys, I think people have rallied for the Gatekeeper for him not to fall out of the thresholds and Marth supporters seem determined enough to not let him get screwed once more, leaving Chrom to fall short. If I had my way, I’d have Byleth/Eirika and Marth/Chrom for my finalists as I have choice words for the Gatekeeper situation, but that’s enough from me as that hornets nest has probably been shook enough already.

Edited by Silverly

1 hour ago, Midnox said:

Kinda similarly of what happened to Veronica back in CYL2

Yeah, exactly. The fewer people would have expected a unit to rank highly, the more they stand to gain from people newly seeing them as an option.

7 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

1. I usually type messages in Notes on my cellphone, so that way I don't lose my progress if I lose internet connection, the page refreshes, etc. I've noticed that my posts sometimes post in larger font than normal, but I'm not sure how to fix that. 😆 Even this quote formatted strangely on my end (it loses the context of the original conversation).

I know that whatever you type here will save even if you don't send, but I guess losing internet connection is another concern.

Man I'm really trying to not get my expectations too high for Marianne. This is the only opportunity a character like her has to place in the top 2. Those avatar characters can easily get ranks in sequential years.

2 hours ago, Vince777 said:

I really hope they will stop releasing mid-polling results starting next year.

People stop voting for their true favourites at that point and just bandwagon/counterbandwagon.

Or, to put it another way, people start making informed decisions and no longer have to guess about whether or not a character is in serious contention for the top.

2 hours ago, Vince777 said:

People stop voting for their true favourites at that point and just bandwagon/counterbandwagon.

It'd never happen, but I wonder how the results would be if they blatantly lied and said the lowest twenty characters were leading in the midpoint. Would people bandwagon or counter bandwagon if they were told random Thracia characters were in the running?

Also I've made a thread about this very thing in Serious Discussion XD

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

It'd never happen, but I wonder how the results would be if they blatantly lied and said the lowest twenty characters were leading in the midpoint. Would people bandwagon or counter bandwagon if they were told random Thracia characters were in the running?

Also I've made a thread about this very thing in Serious Discussion XD

That would make it too obvious that they lied and people would immediately know something's up.

10 hours ago, basedcarousel said:

no offense but thunder mage gang on top, controlling launch site, controlling air field, controlling military tunnels, sorry not sorry 

Umm, lets say Marianne switched spell lists with Hilda and Gatekeeper is organizing the loot at base while thunder mage gang is out fragging. 

cyl5 bandicam 2021-01-30 04-38-43-628.png

. . .I can get behind this.  And as far as I'm concerned, Marianne learns Best Thunder Spell (Thoron), so she's an honorary member of the Thunder Mage Club!

I'm excited for the results to be announced tomorrow. Here’s my Choose Your Legends voting ballot!

0faf205cab629a27e947dc81a6abbf1cadd44174

Shura is at the five-way intersection of “character I love who isn’t in Heroes,” “character who is important to the story in his own game,” “character who was shafted by his own game (One support? Really?),” “character who is a great unit and would add something relatively rare to Heroes (hoping for blue infantry archer)” and “relatively popular character who stands a decent chance at being added to Heroes.” Ideally I'd love to see him added in a New Heroes banner, but I would be more than happy if he were added as a Grand Hero Battle character (you fight him in all three Fates games, and he consistently places far higher in CYL than Hans, Zola, and other Fates bosses.)

Sorry, Marth! You’re one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters and you deserve to win Choose Your Legends, but my seven votes probably won’t make much of a difference there and you’ll win either way.

1 hour ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

“character who was shafted by his own game (One support? Really?),”

I know, right? Shura could have had some really interesting conversations with Saizo, especially, I think. And since you never get to see him in his ninja attire, I actually would like him to show up on a new version of that seasonal ninja banner we got last autumn. ^_^ I put together a mockup banner that included him so that we can explore that side of him. Also a duo of Saizo and Asugi (as Saizo tries to get his son interested in his heritage and Asugi is there for the sweets) and a ninja version of Midori (since she also doesn't have an official ninja design but does have heritage there.) Also that guy whose name I don't remember. Ninja map boss. Interesting NPC with history with more than just the royals, but doesn't get explored that much.

44 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Also that guy whose name I don't remember. Ninja map boss. Interesting NPC with history with more than just the royals, but doesn't get explored that much.

Kotaro, who was not among the NPCs added this time even though he’s fought in all three routes. 

Oh and if anyone remembers him, Anthony was also not added in this CYL.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:24 PM, Vince777 said:

Well the way I see it, it lets me put further votes towards characters I know have a chance.

I gave Gatekeeper one vote initially after giving votes to other characters I'd like to see in. (Jedah, Kamui and Brigand boss) but put the rest of my votes towards Gatekeeper since he had a chance, I still wanted to see him in before the mid-poll but he was the only one with a chance so I voted for him.

I was spreading my votes out to multiple characters, but in the end decided to give most of them to Edward. Gave one to Constance and another to Levail. This is the first time Levail has been in the CYL voting, so I wanted to give him at least one vote. I usually give a vote for Stefan and was going to give one to Felix, but I think from here on out I'm just going to give it all to Edward.

5 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

I was spreading my votes out to multiple characters, but in the end decided to give most of them to Edward. Gave one to Constance and another to Levail. This is the first time Levail has been in the CYL voting, so I wanted to give him at least one vote. I usually give a vote for Stefan and was going to give one to Felix, but I think from here on out I'm just going to give it all to Edward.

Nice seeing someone else voting for Edward, hope this will be the year we get him in a Dawn Brigade banner with Nolan and Leonardo

1 hour ago, Jolumas said:

Nice seeing someone else voting for Edward, hope this will be the year we get him in a Dawn Brigade banner with Nolan and Leonardo

Y'all really do deserve a Dawn Brigade banner, I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been one yet. I can easily see Edward/Leo/Nolan/Tauroneo filling up the usual colors there plus Pelleas as the standard TT red mage.  Or Leo as the TT and Laura as the colorless staff.

51 minutes ago, kradeelav said:

Y'all really do deserve a Dawn Brigade banner, I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been one yet. I can easily see Edward/Leo/Nolan/Tauroneo filling up the usual colors there plus Pelleas as the standard TT red mage.  Or Leo as the TT and Laura as the colorless staff.

It’s actually not a surprise at all in my opinion because that banner would be forced to be male dominant (or even entirely male). 

They are never going to go all-male on a New or Special banner, especially when only two of the characters you mentioned (Edward and Pelleas) have any semblance of popularity. Meanwhile, even the few female options they have (Laura, Meg, Fiona) are all similarly unpopular.

Looks like there wasn't any leaks for CYL 5 this year huh? I guess we'll all find out the results on tomorrow's FEH channel. If FEH channel is tomorrow and not Tuesday that is.

20 hours ago, Mercakete said:

I know, right? Shura could have had some really interesting conversations with Saizo, especially, I think. And since you never get to see him in his ninja attire, I actually would like him to show up on a new version of that seasonal ninja banner we got last autumn. ^_^ I put together a mockup banner that included him so that we can explore that side of him. Also a duo of Saizo and Asugi (as Saizo tries to get his son interested in his heritage and Asugi is there for the sweets) and a ninja version of Midori (since she also doesn't have an official ninja design but does have heritage there.) Also that guy whose name I don't remember. Ninja map boss. Interesting NPC with history with more than just the royals, but doesn't get explored that much.

A Shura and Saizo support would be interesting. Other Shura supports I would've loved to have seen are Azura (there are several parallels between them [e.g. both have lived in both Hoshido and Nohr due to circumstances beyond their control and they have ties to both kingdoms], they met in the past, I ship them, and I love the idea of Shura being Shigure's dad), Oboro (it would be fascinating to see her reaction to him, even if she and Shura couldn''t have a child), Izana (they're about as opposite as possible; them trying to understand each other's lives and ways of thinking could be both hilarious and touching, and I'd also love for Izana to have more supports), and Niles (they have similar backgrounds.)

Did you post the mockup banner anywhere? I like your other ideas for it, too.

19 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Kotaro, who was not among the NPCs added this time even though he’s fought in all three routes. 

Oh and if anyone remembers him, Anthony was also not added in this CYL.

Kotaro is a strange omission, given almost all the secondary/tertiary Fates villains have been added to CYL. He was one of the most memorable Fates villains, more so than Hans and Zola, IMO. Kotaro has an interesting role in all three games and his actions impact several characters. He had a challenging and fun boss battle (it's unusual to fight a relatively weak but swift boss who can dodge most your attacks and easily double your units), and a cool design.

5 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

IMO. Kotaro has an interesting role in all three games and his actions impact several characters.

He certainly had an interesting role in Conquest. 

Corrin: ''Kotaro! How dare you capture an enemy of mine! You don't capture people in wars!''
Kotaro ''How dare you asking me how I dare capturing an enemy for you! I don't wanna release her! Imma kill the entire royal family now'' 

Kinda breaks the character and the archytype he was supposedly going for. 

8 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Did you post the mockup banner anywhere? I like your other ideas for it, too.

Kind of, but nothing more specific than what I have here, really. I could make a more detailed mockup, though (weapon and movement types, for example.) Maybe include a bit of scripting, if I really got into it.