Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

Kind of amused and annoyed that Marth and Eirika got bumped out of first by non lord Three Houses characters and are also losing out of Prf Brave skills because of them. Ah well, I'm probably still going to pick Marth or Eirika as my free summon anyways. Surprised Marianne got a big push to first even though I feel like it is going to be another Lysithea situation where her regular version was going to show up on some banner this year anyways.

In other news Awakening Anna is the 25th highest female and 44th overall this year. Would have liked her to still be in the top 20 but I am satisfied and happy with her in top 50.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ngl as someone who is really not fond of Lords, I'm also quite pleased with the chaos too. >:)

little dissapointed at Zihark being in the ~300's. I would've expected him to be in the ~200 range lul

Also surprised at how much Jill dropped once she got in. : o  Though seeing Volke much higher was a boost... I'll start saving my orbs for him, heh. Overall, the full results are really interesting and I can't wait when somebody makes the inevitable chart to show how and where each character moved compared from last year.

Well, now that my salt has subsided a bit I can accept these results. I don't care too much about the males so eh, but a exclusive B skill isn't the end of the world when the most important thing is the Prf and class of a unit. There's a reason B!Veronica was the standout of CYL2 before refines and post refines B!Lucina is more splashable than B!Lyn. So it's not doom and gloom as my kneejerk reaction said, so I'm going to start saving for a +10 B!Eirika. 

I'll just pray she isn't a Sword/Tome/Staff unit as she already covers that with her alts. I'd prefer if she was Infantry, but Flier would be cool too (Please make Marianne the horse, please make Marianne the horse). 

Also, the seven characters I voted for and how the placed:

1.- Linoan (275th, 279 votes)
2.- Nyx (88th, 1.123 votes)
3.- Marianne (Heh)
4.- Marcus (329th, 194 votes)
5.- Laura (350th, 168 votes)
6.- Midia (389th, 121 votes)
7.- Maiko (69th, 1.507 votes)

23 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Kind of amused and annoyed that Marth and Eirika got bumped out of first by non lord Three Houses characters and are also losing out of Prf Brave skills because of them.

I'm frustrated beyond belief at how both of them got blindsided so hard. You'd think the community would learn not to be complacent after Marth's loss in CYL3, but clearly not.

16 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Well, now that my salt has subsided a bit I can accept these results. I don't care too much about the males so eh, but a exclusive B skill isn't the end of the world when the most important thing is the Prf and class of a unit.

I'd argue that the exclusive Skill has been incredibly important since CYL3 due to how busted they are (especially last year's pair). This came up on Reddit too, but considering one of the second placers is Marth (and Eirika is another old-school favorite), it would be a great gesture for all four to get Prf skills this year (it's also FEH's fifth year). Heck, they could pull a Halloween Grima and just give them powercrept versions of their Legendary Prfs if they didn't want to put too much effort into it.

16 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

but Flier would be cool too (Please make Marianne the horse, please make Marianne the horse)

If last year is any indication I think it's safe to say Marianne's just going to be a typical Holy Knight (with her Academy version getting Blutgang). I'd like a flier Eirika too: she'd be better for Arena Scoring that way as well!

Edited by DefyingFates

2 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I'm frustrated beyond belief at how both of them got blindsided so hard. You'd think the community would learn not to be complacent after Marth's loss in CYL3, but clearly not.

Looking at the results I don't think the Marth fans could have done anything since it would be kind of hard to make up the 25,000 vote difference. Plus it is hard to fight against memes as Veronica and the 'purple haired menace' have proven in previous CYLs.

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

You'd think the community would learn not to be complacent after Marth's loss in CYL3, but clearly not.

There's a good chunk of the community that never experienced Marth as a character, including myself

Iirc he's only been in one game that's been localized on the DS until the recent remake, disregarding guest appearances. In smash they didn't even let him speak english until the switch version.

31 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I'd argue that the exclusive Skill has been incredibly important since CYL3 due to how busted they are (especially last year's pair). This came up on Reddit too, but considering one of the second placers is Marth (and Eirika is another old-school favorite), it would be a great gesture for all four to get Prf skills this year (it's also FEH's fifth year). Heck, they could pull a Halloween Grima and just give them powercrept versions of their Legendary Prfs if they didn't want to put too much effort into it.

I don't know about Yune's whispers being a busted skill when Temari can do almost the same thing and that is available for everyone. 

32 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

If last year is any indication I think it's safe to say Marianne's just going to be a typical Holy Knight (with her Academy version getting Blutgang). I'd like a flier Eirika too: she'd be better for Arena Scoring that way as well!

It's arguable. From CYL3 the winners are Alm and Micaiah. Alm's Scendscale is on the A-slot, which limits his builds to only Player Phase nuking (and L!Dimitri got a better version of the skill on his B-slot, so yeah). Micaiah got a glorified Sabotage skill, it's nice for support but it isn't anything gamebreaking. 

CYL4 winners got great skills, but they aren't the best thing for every single build. B!Dimitri got a guaranteed follow-up during Enemy Phase (ignored by NFU) and Def based Dmg reduction. Brave Edelgard gets a conditional 80% dmg reduction (which makes her easy to kill during Enemy Phase) and a guaranteed follow-up if she's >25% health (ignored by NFU).

Honestly, I still think the strongest exclusive skill for a Brave unit to this day is Sacae's Blessing as that one denies counters from non-Beast melee physical units that aren't running NCD. To this day the only other units that run builds of that kind are those with in-built NFU on their Prfs and Eleonora. So what I'm getting at is, as long as Eirika/Marth get a strong effect on their Prf they'll be top tier units (and maybe even better than the 1st place units). 

About the classes. It's a little hard to think about them right now, Gatekeeper is a 50/50 on infantry/armor but I lean slightly towards armor because of Marth never being anything other than Infantry Seasonal alts aside. Marianne is most likely a Cavalry unit because of Dorte, so that leaves Flier for Eirika (she has a connection with Tana so it's not out of the blue). 

39 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I would not worry too much about exclusive skills. They might be okay for casual play, but most are either crap or totally replaceable with something else for more competitive modes.

Beorc's Blessing is just plain bad.
Sacae's Blessing is okay, although totally replaceable (Firesweep Bow exists).
Double Lion is plain bad too as it does not work with Wings of Mercy.
Ostian Counter is one that I would not recommend replacing.
Scendscale is basically just Death Blow; it is fine if you give BE!Alm Ninja Katana or Brave Sword and turn him into a slow Brave nuke, but otherwise it is better to just run Brazen Atk/Spd as you can never have too much Spd.
Yune's Whisper is fine for debuffing on a debuffer, but horrible on a combat unit.
Black Eagle Rule is good and I would not replace it either, as it is basically better Follow-Up Ring.
Blue Lion Rule is not bad per se, but you are better off replacing it with Spurn.

Two out of the eight are good. Three are replaceable. And the bottom three are either just plain bad or it got outclassed right from the get go.

Edited by XRay

I am very happy to see Elincia and Pelleas rank highly, not sure if the latter did better or worse than last year but I think Elincia climbed quite a bit? Hope Pelleas is added soon.

As for next year, Seliph, Alfonse, Rhea, and Elincia would be a pretty sweet top 4...

The thing with Gatekeeper getting a PRF Skill is that this is a character who is a blank slate beyond his namesake -- which means there's almost nothing to base his PRF Skill on. IntSys has been given a blank check for mayhem, and I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, I am so happy with these results! Marth got 2nd place, and I am totally fine with that.

And Gatekeeper!!! 1st place! What a happy day for me.

I am more disappointed in the Female side. I would prefer Eirika as first place, but oh well...

1 hour ago, kradeelav said:

Ngl as someone who is really not fond of Lords, I'm also quite pleased with the chaos too. >:)

little dissapointed at Zihark being in the ~300's. I would've expected him to be in the ~200 range lul

Also surprised at how much Jill dropped once she got in. : o  Though seeing Volke much higher was a boost... I'll start saving my orbs for him, heh. Overall, the full results are really interesting and I can't wait when somebody makes the inevitable chart to show how and where each character moved compared from last year.

lmao like a rock. 

I'm sort of the same. I mean i don't mind either way. but the thing is - i've always stated consistently that the Lords don't deserve anything outside of being a Legendary hero (which was established with Ike). Brave Heroes is for everyone and honestly. the 4 people who win the top two slots are who deserve it. Eirika and Marth (or chrom or Byleth or whomever lords are left) don't deserve it more than Marianne and Lute and everyone else. People want to see the Lords in a special outfit and a prf skill. cool. Other people want to see Astrid in a special outfit and a prf skill. some people just want to vote in the people that impacted their game play in. It just gets tiring that it's perfectly okay to vote for A but if you vote for B it's like a meme or being spiteful or whatever. 

2 hours ago, zuibangde said:

Edit: I was wrong. Edelgard received the most votes of all time. 😛 

Thats only a true statement if this is the last CYL there is, since all time natrually includes all future time too.

Wow, even if he didn:t beat Edelgard, from the looks of it Gatekeeper absolutely trashed the competition. Hes double that of both the girls. I wonder if the number 3 boy beats Marianne too.

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Thats only a true statement if this is the last CYL there is, since all time natrually includes all future time too.

Wow, even if he didn:t beat Edelgard, from the looks of it Gatekeeper absolutely trashed the competition. Hes double that of both the girls. I wonder if the number 3 boy beats Marianne too.

Chrom actually placed 3rd overall. He had 35,810 votes compared to Marianne's 33,555 votes.

Edited by NSSKG151

1 minute ago, NSSKG151 said:

Chrom actually placed 3rd overall. He beat Marianne and Eirika in votes. For reference Chrom had 35,810 votes, Marianne had 33,555 votes and Eirika had 31,875 votes.

Yet another character robbed due to sexism.

Best outcome I could have realistically hoped for (assuming Marth over Chrom was a fait accompli). Even though I won't be playing FEH anymore in August, I'll be sure to pop in to claim my free Gatekeeper. Guessing and hoping that he'll be a lance infantry since there seems no chance they'll add a base version of him beforehand with that class. Marth meanwhile will probably just get another Falchion variant so it really doesn't impact his utility whether he's first or second. That said, one downside of not having both Marth and Chrom win in the same year is that there's now a distinct possibility that both will end up with Falchions.

I don't care as much about the women's division, or rather, what order the winners ended up in. I suppose if pressed I'm happier to have Marianne come out on top because while I'm not too fond of wallflowers, she could be interesting to talk to. Eirika to me seems mostly defined in combination with Ephraim as a counterpoint and never truly stands on her own. Hopefully that's it with the girly girls next year though.

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yet another character robbed due to sexism.

Nah. People pushed both for and against Gatekeeper after the interim results, causing all 3 of Gatekeeper, Marth, and Chrom to get huge swaths of extra votes. It wouldn't be like that if there wasn't a gender separation in the first place.

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm going to be very interested in seeing what the Top 5 characters from each game not yet in Heroes end up being. Excluding Marianne and Gatekeeper.

Here's a chart I found on reddit that shows the top 5 missing characters in Heroes from each game based on CYL5 results. Note it still shows characters like Gatekeeper, Marianne, Gustav and Henriette even though we know a version of them is going to be playable in the future and characters in smaller boxes already have a playable version in Heroes but not their base version.

Spoiler

HlW9F1PNVYqUENVx0_QZXcKXktj1M1O4qOxdPl-y7Jk.jpg?auto=webp&s=2e576faf95c3092aaa99e13890c8e18081652f4a

Edited by NSSKG151