Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

18 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Fair, but that still leaves Team Eirika as being complacent. I find it bizarre that Byleth is so far behind the other two too despite being in second place during the midterms. Basically it means Marianne somehow got the same votes as her from the midterms onward plus ~9000.

I might be wrong but I think I remember people saying there was a big push for Marianne on Twitter. I don't know, there seemed to have been lots of people being vocal about saying they were voting for Marianne or Eirika and I didn't see many saying they were voting F!Byleth. Marianne fans just saw a chance at midterms and seemed to have jumped for it.

Edited by NSSKG151

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Aww, thanks for the recognition! And you know what? I applaud your effort to keep positive! We'll get our favorites in the game someday! Just how and when are unknown.

I think the two of you have a better shot at it than me.  But such is the price for those of us who like obscure male characters~!

Also, thanks for that lovely little skit.

It was interesting seeing how being added to FEH did drop votes, looks at Jill and Zihark.  Of course there is also the salt that Brigand Boss placed higher then Elffin which to me is just sad.  I really don't care about this years results except on how it will impact who will be added to the game.  For me the bright spots are that there is a good chance of an Ashen Wolves banner and a TMS banner, which mean that Yashiro and Balthus have a good chance of coming later this year.  

@Book Bro @DefyingFates @eclipse

Aww, thank you so much, guys! 🥰 

Yeah, part of the hope in writing those was to reduce salt. Realistically, the characters would be happy for each other since those are the sort of guys they are. (Obviously, this does not apply to all characters. For example, Narcian would be laughing manically bidding everyone to fight for his fame, but that's certainly not Marth or Gatekeeper.) They wouldn't want their summoner friends to be tearing each other apart over them; I think that would make them feel ashamed, or at least embarrassed. Generally speaking, people don't like negative attention. I'm happy that these little sketches are having a positive effect! Games are a lot more fun when people play them to have fun instead of solely having a focus on winning. The former is conducive to keeping the mood light. The latter (again, I said solely having a focus on winning) doesn't care about who needs to get stepped on or torn up to achieve the desired result (even if that result is just "what you think should happen happens" or "what you think should not happen doesn't happen.")

Hmm maybe I went a bit deep there. I think I have a tendency to do that sometimes, and it gets especially likely when I'm tired. Uhh... Simple, short, and lighthearted is hard for me but I'll keep doing my best. XD; Everyone's great! Yay, people won things!

The plan right now for which of the winners to pick, for me, is Gatekeeper, but I may pull a bit for Marianne, too. I hope Gatekeeper is given skills/a weapon that makes him good at keeping foes away from his allies! I can't really imagine him departing from that role.

I welcome Gatekeeper as a literal blank slate that IS can work off of. The turn of events is contentious for some, but I don't find anything incidental to a noisy dispute.

Loved that vignette, too @Mercakete

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

That's still five of eight skills that are good and considering how strong the last two were (even if you feel one could be swapped for Spurn) I still think it's a shame that Gatekeeper of all people gets a Prf and Marth and Eirika don't. And I say this as someone who's happy for Gatekeeper! I mean, I'm personally upset he got first, but apart from that I really am looking forward to seeing what IS does with him. Hopefully nothing lazy again.

The three that are replaceable have an issue in that they are niche. They are not good like Desperation, where you want to keep it on the unit most of the time. They are passable like Dive-Bomb, where you want to use it on occasion because something is shutting down Desperation (e.g.: Kronya). They are not straight up outclassed like Blue Lion Rule, but there are better general purpose builds out there.

For BH!Lyn, if you want to use her as a raw damage nuke, you want to stick with Brave Bow-Desperation, not Brave Bow-Sacae's Blessing. There are enough dragons and beasts out there to warrant Desperation over Sacae's Blessing in my opinion. Sacae's Blessing is fine if all you see are just sword, lance, and axe enemies.

Similarly for BE!Alm, unless you really need to maximize your damage output with only two hits (enemy has Wary Fighter or something), you are better off going going with Ninja Katana-Brazen Atk/Spd.

For BE!Micaiah, she is not a bad debuffer, but Flayn can already do what she does and do it better: damage reduction is better than Atk-6, Sabotage Spd can emulate Spd-6, and Physic is better than Sacrifice.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

The three that are replaceable have an issue in that they are niche.

But they still have value, right? Besides, with the exception of Desperation for BH!Lyn all the other alternatives are costly to get as well. Spurn for example is ridiculously rare, so most people would likely swear by the already insane Blue Lion Rule anyway.

Besides, everyone knows Marth is getting Fire Emblem regardless of anything else, so I just hope IS doubles down on giving him (and Eirika by extension) some extra love this year.

24 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

But they still have value, right? Besides, with the exception of Desperation for BH!Lyn all the other alternatives are costly to get as well. Spurn for example is ridiculously rare, so most people would likely swear by the already insane Blue Lion Rule anyway.

Besides, everyone knows Marth is getting Fire Emblem regardless of anything else, so I just hope IS doubles down on giving him (and Eirika by extension) some extra love this year.

Personally I'm hoping for staff Marth, and Fire Emblem is currently set to be unavailable to staff units. Although it's an uninheritable skill so it's not like anyone would really notice or care if they changed that tag, and it'd be cool to finally get a staff unit with a combat special. Alternatively, they could give him some other personal special based on it... which does go right back to the original point about changing the CYL 2nd place rules.

15 minutes ago, Othin said:

which does go right back to the original point about changing the CYL 2nd place rules.

As I said before, "five years in" seems like a good time to mix things up, especially after the awkward situation Claude was left in last year without a Rule skill to match Edelgard and Dimitri (on top of the other reasons I stated earlier). Regarding Fire Emblem though: maybe he could get Starlight instead and be a colorless mage? Or yes, him being a healer with an offensive special would give him one heck of a niche. Well, either that or he could get a healer-oriented special themed around Fire Emblem.

But again, him and Eirika getting Prf Skills would sidestep all of these very nicely.

I’m excited for the winners this year. Marth and Eirika could go anywhere.
Marth is likely to keep Falchion, but even more buffed. But what Brave Marth story and outfit would be is a mystery, as a hypothetical future king self of his is already in game as Legendary Marth, so is pantsu and rapier are checked with his younger self.

Eirika is another mystery. Ephraim took the father and mentor route, she has a Grado homage alt, and her promoted form is covered by legendary as well

Marianne is not exciting to be honest. If last CYL is anything to go by, they won’t do anything she couldn’t become already in 3H

Gatey is exciting for whatever story they could do to him. But it’s also possible he would be left the same... nah, can’t be, he’s an NPC with a generic model for his class. They must reveal his face at least. Not to mention BHs overcame challenges themselves and became experienced. 

4 minutes ago, Midnox said:

he’s an NPC with a generic model for his class. They must reveal his face at least.

I just hope they don't just add Gatekeeper as is, that'd be such a let down for the people who genuinely like him. As for Marianne: I'm expecting a simple Holy Knight alt for her too (Blutgang is definitely going to the Academy version releasing next month).

6 minutes ago, Midnox said:

Eirika is another mystery. Ephraim took the father and mentor route, she has a Grado homage alt, and her promoted form is covered by legendary as well

You're right about this too: all the obvious choices are already taken. She could take after Nada Kuya I suppose and/ or go back to her own Rapier? I've got my eye on a "Sacred Excalibur" or Latona too, of course.

...well, if she gets the latter I just hope she has an incredible build to go with it, since healers don't exactly have a diverse range of Skill options.

Another thing I'm interested is which free GHB/TT+ unit they're gonna give us this year. CYL 3, they gave us Sigrun. CYL 4 was Jorge. If Gatekeeper had lost, he'd definitely have filled this slot for this year, but since he won, I wonder who they'll use. If anyone at all.

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

Hopefully Marth doesn't end up with another sword

It'd be funny if GK got the sword/ red spot. I mean, a Brave Hero should theoretically be different from what you'd exoect them to be, right? looks at CYL 4

I'd assume either Severa (if IS considers her "new") or Boyd. Luthier is probably being saved for an Echoes banner.

@Fire Emblem Fan

Edited by DefyingFates

35 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

It'd be funny if GK got the sword/ red spot. I mean, a Brave Hero should theoretically be different from what you'd exoect them to be, right? looks at CYL 4

I'd assume either Severa (if IS considers her "new") or Boyd. Luthier is probably being saved for an Echoes banner.

@Fire Emblem Fan

Plot twist: this time they decide "screw color balance" and make them all red.

Male Corrin got 52 this year compared to last year’s 70, which is pleasantly surprising to say the least. Still pretty far compared to female Corrin, but at least he is more popular than 89.6% of remaining cast. 

Can't believe Constance got top 20 and Hapi is no where to be seen? Hapi is super underrated, and I do NOT see the appeal for Constance. Her voice is so annoying. (Sorry to any fans of her but I just can't understand lol)

Edited by TheChoZenOne

@Karimlan

Thank you! ^w^

On the topic of Eirika's design, why not base it off of Ephraim? He has a sort of Roman look going on with those leather straps hanging from his belt. Maybe Eirika would get a full skirt of those, some pants and boots, and some torso armor in her brother's colors.

8 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Another thing I'm interested is which free GHB/TT+ unit they're gonna give us this year. CYL 3, they gave us Sigrun. CYL 4 was Jorge. If Gatekeeper had lost, he'd definitely have filled this slot for this year, but since he won, I wonder who they'll use. If anyone at all.

I don't think Gatekeeper would have filled that slot. The CYL freebie has never been a top-10 ranker, probably because they expect that character can sell (fyi, year 1 gave us Black Knight, year 2 didn't have a CYL-related freebie). If they gave us the theoretical #5 as the freebie we'd have had Awakening Anna in year 3.

Probably coincidence, but the CYL freebie has always been a Tellius character.

Edited by Florete

9 hours ago, TheChoZenOne said:

Can't believe Constance got top 20 and Hapi is no where to be seen? Hapi is super underrated, and I do NOT see the appeal for Constance. Her voice is so annoying. (Sorry to any fans of her but I just can't understand lol)

Hapi wasn’t that much further down compared to Constance and only just missed getting into the top 20 females (at 21st). Hapi got 38th overall (3,034 votes) to Constance’s 31st overall (3,522 votes).

Nah, the real victim is poor Balthus who is sitting much further down at 86th overall (1,147 votes).

14 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

They do have some value, but it is not great.

BE!Micaiah is still decent, but Flayn outclasses her a bit. Flayn is a bit more expensive to build if you want to fully optimize her since you do want Sabotage Spd, but even without it at equal investment, damage reduction alone is at least as strong as Atk/Spd-6, if not more so, and Flayn is a better healer. Unlike Flayn, BE!Micaiah does not have to be near your super tank to work and she can hunt down stray armors and cavalry, so that is something, but those are minor and insignificant benefits and it is not applicable in most situations.

I take back what I said about Scendscale. It is actually decent on BE!Alm using a slow Brave set up, and it outperforms a fast Brave set up by a few kills.
Challenger List: Both sides +10 with 6/6/6/6 bonus buffs. Challengers at 1 HP.

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Alm (BE) (5*+10 +atk -hp)  
Weapon: Ninja Katana+  
Special: Ruptured Sky  
A: Scendscale  
B: Special Spiral 3  
S: Brazen Atk Spd 3  

Alm (BE) (5*+10 +atk -hp)  
Weapon: Ninja Katana+  
Special: Ruptured Sky  
A: Brazen Atk Spd 4  
B: Desperation 3  
S: Brazen Atk Spd 3  

Scendscale
367:8:0
Brazen Atk/Spd
355:20:0

If a player is planning to turn ANF!Dimitri into a super tank, they are better off investing Orbs on skills than merges. Spurn may be rare, but it gives you far more value than a merge would. A merge at best is 6 stat points for the first merge, but it is just 2 stat points after that. While every point matters, one merge is far less significant than having one right skill. Spd is a much better stat to stack than Def/Res. Having high Spd means you avoid being doubled, essentially halving the damage, and avoiding doubles also means you are less likely to eat a Special trigger too. Having high Def only means you are taking less physical damage, and it still leaves you vulnerable to magic and it does not stop units from doubling and triggering a Special on you.

Double Lion is pretty bad. For practical use, you are better off running Desperation and Time's Pulse than trying to make her base kit work, so you will at least still have access to Wings of Mercy.

Beorc's Blessing is Defiant Atk levels of bad.

26 minutes ago, XRay said:

Beorc's Blessing is Defiant Atk levels of bad.

It was already incredibly niche on release. I think IS wanted B!Ike to be a Reinhardt counter or something, but people ended up using that skill for scoring only.