Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

21 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but that never held water ever since Annette got Crusher. The only reason Marianne may not have Blutgang here is because it's almost certainly being saved for her standard alt.

Why be so sure? I don't think most people would consider swords her primary weapon.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Othin said:

Why be so sure? I don't think most people would consider swords her primary weapon.

True, but she does have a Proficiency in them. Same for Annette and axes.

22 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'd always assumed Marianne would likely get a blue tome, or a staff for her academy version.

I would have too, then Annette got Crusher despite only getting it post-timeskip...which is just IS pushing waifus as always, but still.

By the way, what do everyone think the Brave Heroes will be this year (weapon/ movement type-wise)? Let's get another round of theorycrafts going!

Edited by DefyingFates

16 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I would have too, then Annette got Crusher despite only getting it post-timeskip...which is just IS pushing waifus as always, but still.

True, but then again Mercedes didn't get her relic.

16 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

By the way, what do everyone think the Brave Heroes will be this year (weapon/ movement type-wise)? Let's get another round of theorycrafts going!

I'd bet Marianne will be a horse unit because Holy Knight, and her two most likely weapon options are sword (her very own relic) and lance (Ice Lance). Eirika will be either a staff unit or a mage, but I'd think a horse staff unit with Latona is more likely than a mage. Marth will be either another sword unit with a super-Falchion, or a lance unit. Gatekeeper will be...Gatekeeper.

19 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

a horse staff unit with Latona

I think that should probably just be a L'Arachel alt. If Eirika were a flying healer or something though, that'd at least let her pay homage to Tana as well.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Beast Marianne please!

But Marianne hates her bloodline *because* of this curse, surely a Beast Marianne is better suited for a Fallen banner? Even before CYL I could never understand why people wanted Brave Marianne to be a beast... Apologies if this comes off as brusque, but I'm just curious.

Edited by DefyingFates

55 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I think that should probably just be a L'Arachel alt. If Eirika were a flying healer or something though, that'd at least let her pay homage to Tana as well.

But Marianne hates her bloodline *because* of this curse, surely a Beast Marianne is better suited for a Fallen banner? Even before CYL I could never understand why people wanted Brave Marianne to be a beast... Apologies if this comes off as brusque, but I'm just curious.

Well 1) There's not enough beast units in the game, particularly armoured beasts and 2) Why not have a version of Marianne that's taking back her heritage and owning the shit out of it?

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

I kind of already gave my thoughts on what this year's Brave units could be on an earlier page so I will just quote myself.

22 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

I kind of just expect them to do something simple with Marianne like last year's winners and just have her be a Holy Knight with Abraxas (even though she couldn't learn it in Three Houses) or have some new variant of Aura.

I'm more curious what they are going to give to Eirika. Is she going to steal another Sacred Twin since we don't have anyone using Latona or the Sacred Stones version of Excalibur in Heroes yet. I actually kind of want her to be a green tome unit with Excalibur since I still don't really have that many green tome units built that I like using.

I also wonder what they are going to do with Marth. Sword infantry seems to be the boring option they would go for but I really wish they would do something more unique like have him dress up in a male variant of Caeda outfit and wield the Wing Spear while riding a pegasus or wyvern or I have seen some people suggest that he should wield Starlight which sounds neat. But again I wouldn't be surprised if IS gave him a new variant of Mercurius or Falchion with crazy support effects and called it a day.

Gatekeeper is pretty much guaranteed to be a Lance unit, so Blue is out for everyone else

Red is an obvious choice for the other three since they all have special swords, but only one them can be red

Marianne could easily be colorless because she's strong in Faith, But you could also give Marth Aum (unless they finally add Elice) or Eirika Latona

The real question is who would be green

4 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

Gatekeeper is pretty much guaranteed to be a Lance unit, so Blue is out for everyone else

Red is an obvious choice for the other three since they all have special swords, but only one them can be red

Marianne could easily be colorless because she's strong in Faith, But you could also give Marth Aum (unless they finally add Elice) or Eirika Latona

The real question is who would be green

Sacred Excalibur would let Eirika fit green.

12 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Well, I had already stated Beast Marianne would be my ideal and gave my reasoning on how that would work, but as far as her color and movement go, I think any color would work (though I would certainly prefer Red or Colorless) and movement would be Cavalry, but with a skill that let's her bypass normal cavalry restrictions, since a big part of it was that she would wander the forest as a demonic beast were she to be cursed, so it'd make no sense of she wasn't able to actually go on and through forest tiles.

Although, if they do just give her Blutgang (or a version of it), then I would hope for her to be a Pegasus rider instead of Cavalry movement.

I also like the idea of Frozen Lance as a weapon that was brought up and I think Cavalry would go well with that, but I would honestly much prefer Lorenz to come with that, as boy does he need some love, between the very real threat of Lysithea stealing Thyrsus or Dorothea coming with Agnea's Arrow instead, it would pretty much be one of the only things this man has left.

I don't know enough about Marth to give an informed opinion (although Starlight sounds cool) and Gatekeeper could literally be anything, so long as he's not the lazy option of Lance/Infantry (that should really be his regular non Brave version), and I would be happy.

Eirika, however, I feel has exhausted most of her choices already. There's Latona, but I would much rather a L'Archel alt to wield it, and then there's Excalibur who doesn't really have a logical user like the rest, but I'm hoping Artur would get it instead as he can use it as a Sage. Maybe she could fill the red spot with a new version of the Rapier? Ooh, or actually, using her brothers Siegmund would be pretty neat and make sense as it's a Sacred Twin from her homeland. Infantry would be nice to go along with it as I still don't feel likes there's enough Lance/Infantry going around.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

5 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I also like the idea of Frozen Lance as a weapon that was brought up and I think Cavalry would go well with that, but I would honestly much prefer Lorenz to come with that, as boy does he need some love, between the very real threat of Lysithea stealing Thyrsus or Dorothea coming with Agnea's Arrow instead, it would pretty much be one of the only things this man has left.

Thanks for the compliment on the idea! Though, the reason I brought up Frozen Lance as a weapon for her specifically is because I think she gets it from her talent (the 3 stars thing in the skills section.) So, it's somewhat personal to her. Let me double check that, though.

Just checked, and yep, it's her budding talent unlock.

Just now, Mercakete said:

Thanks for the compliment on the idea! Though, the reason I brought up Frozen Lance as a weapon for her specifically is because I think she gets it from her talent (the 3 stars thing in the skills section.) So, it's somewhat personal to her. Let me double check that, though.

Just checked, and yep, it's her budding talent unlock.

Oh yeah, I'm aware she does, and it's ome of the best things you can do for her early on if you want her to output decent damage when she's not healing, imo. But I just want to see Lorenz get good things too, lol. But I certainly wouldn't mind either way.

Not trying to be mean to those excited. Congratulations for those who are 

but for me I’m really sad and disheartened. I feel like no matter what Chrom just can’t win. 
This year we most likely get a remake announcement and I’m hype for the remake random characters or lords from that game will beat Chrom. 
ive already seen gatekeeper fans who are saying they want to switch to abysskeeper...

It’s like no matter what he just can’t make it past the top 

4 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

ive already seen gatekeeper fans who are saying they want to switch to abysskeeper...

If it's any consolation, Abysskeeper has nowhere near the devoted fanbase Gatekeeper has so even with people flocking to him I doubt he'll do as well as the latter.

4 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

This year we most likely get a remake announcement and I’m hype for the remake random characters or lords from that game will beat Chrom.

May I ask why everyone's so convinced this is happening, please? Is it just because it's been two years since 3H? Even so, unless it's an FE4 remake there's only going to be at most one male Lord, so Chrom will still get in. I really am sorry you couldn't see him win this year, but there's still hope! 😄

2 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

If it's any consolation, Abysskeeper has nowhere near the devoted fanbase Gatekeeper has so even with people flocking to him I doubt he'll do as well as the latter.

May I ask why everyone's so convinced this is happening, please? Is it just because it's been two years since 3H? Even so, unless it's an FE4 remake there's only going to be at most one male Lord, so Chrom will still get in. I really am sorry you couldn't see him win this year, but there's still hope! 😄

It's also worth noting that Sigurd/Seliph/Leif are now the only pre-Awakening lords who haven't won a CYL. Given that it's not really plausible for an FE5 remake to happen before an FE4 one, FE4 is really the only remake that could add new winning lords soon.

In fairness, it's also the most obvious "next" remake, and even if only one of its lords wins, the other slot could go to another oddball. But as things currently stand, I'd say things are looking pretty good for Chrom in CYL6, and even if he does lose out to one or more of the Jugdral lords, that'll just help clear the field further for the following years.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:28 AM, Jotari said:

Well 1) There's not enough beast units in the game, particularly armoured beasts and 2) Why not have a version of Marianne that's taking back her heritage and owning the shit out of it?

1 is fair. As for 2, outside of Seiros and the Four Saints, Beasts are just a very bad thing for everyone, even those who don't have her particular Crest: turning into a Beast is permanent and fatal (outside of Maurice) so her figuring out a way to shift into one and back and deciding it's something she wants to do feels incredibly out of character for me. I think her making peace with her heritage and using her Crest's passive abilities is "taking it back" enough. Again, I feel Beast!Marianne is better suited to a Fallen alt, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:10 PM, NegativeExponents- said:

Although, if they do just give her Blutgang (or a version of it), then I would hope for her to be a Pegasus rider instead of Cavalry movement.

I'm afraid Cavalry is more likely because it's what her "canon" self uses (Holy Knight) and also allows Dorte to show up, if IS remembers him. Also I'm convinced Blutgang is being saved for her Academy version so there's that too.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:10 PM, NegativeExponents- said:

Maybe she could fill the red spot with a new version of the Rapier? Ooh, or actually, using her brothers Siegmund would be pretty neat and make sense as it's a Sacred Twin from her homeland.

A busted Rapier could be interesting (Red unit overdose notwithstanding) as long as she isn't a Cavalier again. After all, Ephraim got to use Reginleif in his Duo alt. Eirika using Siegmund is great as well. I'd love if she got to use both it and Sieglinde a la one of her Cipher arts. I'm imagining something like Altina with an advantage over both red and green units instead of DC. Maybe she'd have Spd+4, Def/Res-4 version of the Brave Effect too?

6 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. 3H was released just two years ago and considering the development hell that game went through I’m willing to bet they’re at least gonna try to be a little more organized with their time management this time around and that’s not even mentioning COVID. If there was a remake in the works it will most likely get delayed to really late this year or early next year(most likely spring)

While it is likely that the Gatekeeper could be a lance infantry unit, it's also possible that he could be an axe infantry unit -- stereotypical medieval guards may use axe weapons (ie. poleaxes or halberds).

Eirika is more likely taking up the sword but it could be possible for her to pick up the lance since Ephraim, who taught her swordplay in the first place, mains lances. This could leave Marianne (who is in her War phase) free to pick up the sword assuming Marth doesn't take it.

Marth is another likely sword candidate though I could see him being a colorless bow infantry since in the old OVA, he could be seen using archery to hunt a deer in his youth (though in FEH, it wouldn't be his first time as a bow unit thanks to his Winter Duo variant). It also has been stated that Marth has no talent in magic according to FE12 so it's unlikely that he'd be a tome unit or a staff unit.

Edited by Roflolxp54

33 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

It also has been stated that Marth has no talent in magic according to FE12 so it's unlikely that he'd be a tome unit or a staff unit.

Heroes doesn't have to be bound to things like that. "It's an alternate Marth who's better with magic" would be a good enough hand-waving, if they wanted to bother even doing that much.

56 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

While it is likely that the Gatekeeper could be a lance infantry unit, it's also possible that he could be an axe infantry unit -- stereotypical medieval guards may use axe weapons (ie. poleaxes or halberds).

Eirika is more likely taking up the sword but it could be possible for her to pick up the lance since Ephraim, who taught her swordplay in the first place, mains lances. This could leave Marianne (who is in her War phase) free to pick up the sword assuming Marth doesn't take it.

Marth is another likely sword candidate though I could see him being a colorless bow infantry since in the old OVA, he could be seen using archery to hunt a deer in his youth (though in FEH, it wouldn't be his first time as a bow unit thanks to his Winter Duo variant). It also has been stated that Marth has no talent in magic according to FE12 so it's unlikely that he'd be a tome unit or a staff unit.

So you're saying:

GK: Axe

Marth: Bow

Marianne: Sword

Eirika: Lance?

What other ideas do you have?

22 minutes ago, Othin said:

Heroes doesn't have to be bound to things like that. "It's an alternate Marth who's better with magic" would be a good enough hand-waving, if they wanted to bother even doing that much.

I don't have the image to hand, but there's one from FE8 where Ephraim tells Eirika that neither of them can use Garm or Gleipnir...oops xD

10 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I don't have the image to hand, but there's one from FE8 where Ephraim tells Eirika that neither of them can use Garm or Gleipnir...oops xD

Here you go, courtesy of riskedbiscuit from the FEH subreddit (post titled "This didn't age well"):

Spoiler

sh3lif2pt7461.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

11 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Just now, Tybrosion said:

Here you go, courtesy of riskedbiscuit from the FEH subreddit (post titled "This didn't age well"):

Reveal hidden contents

sh3lif2pt7461.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Omg, perfect.

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

1 is fair. As for 2, outside of Seiros and the Four Saints, Beasts are just a very bad thing for everyone, even those who don't have her particular Crest: turning into a Beast is permanent and fatal (outside of Maurice) so her figuring out a way to shift into one and back and deciding it's something she wants to do feels incredibly out of character for me. I think her making peace with her heritage and using her Crest's passive abilities is "taking it back" enough. Again, I feel Beast!Marianne is better suited to a Fallen alt, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

If we're talking Three Houses itself then yeah, that makes perfect sense, but Heroes is the garden of fanservice where we get Gleipner Eirika. For the most fanservice entries of the most fanservice game, I'm fine with a cool alternate Marianne that's more confident and positive about her destiny. Besides for a Fallen banner I'd rather Beast Dedue from Three Houses since that's actually canon. And on that note if we're to get any Three Houses beast units at all (and I  think we absolutely should due to point 1, we're really low on potential beast units for the series), which I think they'll have to do for Hegemon Edelgard alone (though them just making her a tome unit is *shudder* not impossible), then we're just going to have to ignore the whole can't transform back aspect.