Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

5 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I'm afraid Cavalry is more likely because it's what her "canon" self uses (Holy Knight) and also allows Dorte to show up, if IS remembers him. Also I'm convinced Blutgang is being saved for her Academy version so there's that too.

Well, at the end of the day it's all up to IS on what they'll actually be, but I will just have to respectfully disagree here.

I think "canon" as far as classes go should be thrown out the window. Especially concerning 3 Houses units, with stuff like Horse Claude, Crusher Annette, Pegasus DAGGER Petra (so many things wrong with this one in particular), among possibly others I'm forgetting. And I think that's ok because it honestly goes well with 3 Houses "anyone can be (just about) anything" class system that allow lots of diversity. Also she having a Pegasus for her Brave alt doesn't mean she can't also have a Horse in another version (like her inevitable base version perhaps) which i think would be for the best since she does have proficiency in both and represents well her animal loving nature (which is not limited to just Horses)

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

A busted Rapier could be interesting (Red unit overdose notwithstanding) as long as she isn't a Cavalier again. After all, Ephraim got to use Reginleif in his Duo alt. Eirika using Siegmund is great as well. I'd love if she got to use both it and Sieglinde a la one of her Cipher arts. I'm imagining something like Altina with an advantage over both red and green units instead of DC. Maybe she'd have Spd+4, Def/Res-4 version of the Brave Effect too?

Dual wielding both would be cool. I do think though that even with two color advantages taking away would be disservice. Could probably afford to keep it or at least have it replaced with something else. The ninja weapon effect on her would definitely be really broken though. Maybe adding the effects of both Solar and Lunar Bracer would be better along with being more fitting? Wonder what color she would fall in.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

1 is fair. As for 2, outside of Seiros and the Four Saints, Beasts are just a very bad thing for everyone, even those who don't have her particular Crest: turning into a Beast is permanent and fatal (outside of Maurice) so her figuring out a way to shift into one and back and deciding it's something she wants to do feels incredibly out of character for me. I think her making peace with her heritage and using her Crest's passive abilities is "taking it back" enough. Again, I feel Beast!Marianne is better suited to a Fallen alt, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

I'm afraid Cavalry is more likely because it's what her "canon" self uses (Holy Knight) and also allows Dorte to show up, if IS remembers him. Also I'm convinced Blutgang is being saved for her Academy version so there's that too.

A busted Rapier could be interesting (Red unit overdose notwithstanding) as long as she isn't a Cavalier again. After all, Ephraim got to use Reginleif in his Duo alt. Eirika using Siegmund is great as well. I'd love if she got to use both it and Sieglinde a la one of her Cipher arts. I'm imagining something like Altina with an advantage over both red and green units instead of DC. Maybe she'd have Spd+4, Def/Res-4 version of the Brave Effect too?

Marianne doesn't have any "cannon" class, at least beyond Priest, as she's the only unit you don't fight at any point in part 2 (likely because she becomes a beast if you don't recruit her into your army).

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Well, at the end of the day it's all up to IS on what they'll actually be, but I will just have to respectfully disagree here.

I think "canon" as far as classes go should be thrown out the window. Especially concerning 3 Houses units, with stuff like Horse Claude, Crusher Annette, Pegasus DAGGER Petra (so many things wrong with this one in particular), among possibly others I'm forgetting. And I think that's ok because it honestly goes well with 3 Houses "anyone can be (just about) anything" class system that allow lots of diversity. Also she having a Pegasus for her Brave alt doesn't mean she can't also have a Horse in another version (like her inevitable base version perhaps) which i think would be for the best since she does have proficiency in both and represents well her animal loving nature (which is not limited to just Horses)

Dual wielding both would be cool. I do think though that even with two color advantages taking away would be disservice. Could probably afford to keep it or at least have it replaced with something else. The ninja weapon effect on her would definitely be really broken though. Maybe adding the effects of both Solar and Lunar Bracer would be better along with being more fitting? Wonder what color she would fall in.

While I agree that the concept of a "canon" class for Three Houses characters (lords with exclusive classes aside) should be thrown out the window, one thing that has been consistent with three houses so far is that they've given units classes that they have proficiencies for in three houses. Petra never appears as a Pegasus knight as an enemy or of recruited from a different house, but she does have a flying proficiency. Claude doesn't have mounted proficiency, but Bow Knight is the final archer class option. Flayn comes with Pegasus knight already available (even if standard Pegasus knight can't use magic). It's not completely willy nilly. I do think we'll get lance Felix for example. Soo with that in mind and with Marianne having a proficiency in riding and being associated with animals, mounted mage or mounted Blutgang doesn't seem all that unlikely. Then again, brave heroes seem to go out of there way to mix up characters weapons and classes (though not last time to my chagrin), so bring on armoured knight Marianne!

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

While I agree that the concept of a "canon" class for Three Houses characters (lords with exclusive classes aside) should be thrown out the window, one thing that has been consistent with three houses so far is that they've given units classes that they have proficiencies for in three houses. Petra never appears as a Pegasus knight as an enemy or of recruited from a different house, but she does have a flying proficiency. Claude doesn't have mounted proficiency, but Bow Knight is the final archer class option. Flayn comes with Pegasus knight already available (even if standard Pegasus knight can't use magic). It's not completely willy nilly. I do think we'll get lance Felix for example. Soo with that in mind and with Marianne having a proficiency in riding and being associated with animals, mounted mage or mounted Blutgang doesn't seem all that unlikely. Then again, brave heroes seem to go out of there way to mix up characters weapons and classes (though not last time to my chagrin), so bring on armoured knight Marianne!

I think we're on the same page here. Like I said I don't have problem with Heroes doing that or even claiming that it's done without any thought put into it. Believe me, I was one of the people that defended Petra for being a Pegasus because of her flying proficiency on release and even her dagger usage can even be attributed to her "canon" class being assassin which are translated to dagger wielders in FEH (the only thing I would really say is weird, if I'm being nitpicky, is going for Pegasus over Wyvern Rider when it's also her "canon" class or it's at least one with a unique model), but still, it's examples of units not using the "canon" classes that many might expect for the characters even if there is logic behind those choices.

And yeah, I agree, Marianne does have proficiency in riding and should, and probably will, appear on horseback (be it as a healer, mage, Blutgang wielding, or whatever else IS would decide on) I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be her Brave alt. Also, as someone who went out of their way of going through a "make everyone change into an unfitting class" playthrough and ended up with an unexpectedly sweet armored Dorothea, I am all for something similar to that like your armored Marianne idea. Maybe the Gatekeeper gave her some pointers on how to be an effective knight.

Personally, I could see Holy Knight Brave Marianne in the same logic they went with Gremory for Brave Lysithea. But well, not a guarantee they'll do a repeat.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Personally, I could see Holy Knight Brave Marianne in the same logic they went with Gremory for Brave Lysithea. But well, not a guarantee they'll do a repeat.

It depends on if they took the complaints from last year on board or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marianne (and maybe GK) were exactly what people expect while Marth and Eirika end up the creative ones.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'd like to see Holy Knight Marianne, personally. They won't make that her academy variant and who knows when they'll have proper time-skip banners?

Fair, but wouldn't it be better to get something unique now and get the Holy Knight alt when the time comes for the time-skip designs? The same goes for all of last year's winners, but at least this time there's a chance IS learned their lesson.

I don't think I ever had Marianne as a holy knight. I kept switching her between being a falconight and a mage knight, though. Ashe, however, I firmly kept in the holy knight class. That guy could tank magic like no tomorrow.

Edited by Mercakete

20 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Do you mean a Dark Knight?

Huh...that's an interesting idea, thank you!

I guess. I don't remember the class name right now. XD And as for Ashe, I'm happy that the idea was helpful. I made him a priest because he's such a sweetie, and he was good with lances so it kind of went from there. Happened upon his propensity for res, and he could tank magic about as well as Mercedes as a...uhhh that infantry female-only magic class. She was glued to her magic bow, though (and Ashe got to hold onto a nice spear.) Anyway, they were basically untouchable by magic. Great for counter-killing them/luring them/tanking magic with massive range until the foe mages ran out.

30 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I guess. I don't remember the class name right now. XD And as for Ashe, I'm happy that the idea was helpful. I made him a priest because he's such a sweetie, and he was good with lances so it kind of went from there. Happened upon his propensity for res, and he could tank magic about as well as Mercedes as a...uhhh that infantry female-only magic class. She was glued to her magic bow, though (and Ashe got to hold onto a nice spear.) Anyway, they were basically untouchable by magic. Great for counter-killing them/luring them/tanking magic with massive range until the foe mages ran out.

The base game mounted mages are Dark Knight and Holy Knight, so yeah, it should be that one.

I was looking for weapons that could be used for the Brave Heroes and learned there were four in FE8 (sword, axe, lance, bow) that were only available via promo events in Japan. These were weapons with low requirements and high durability with effective damage against monsters (which could translate to Beast and/ or Dragon effectiveness), making them incredibly useful:

There's also two unused swords in 3H that could work for Marianne if we get her academy self with Blutgang:

Spoiler

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_unused_content_in_Fire_Emblem/Three_Houses
Ridill, a magic sword.

This second one is a huge SPOILER for the Golden Deer route!

Spoiler

Dark Blutgang, which would have presumably shown up in the final chapter with the other "Dark" Relics.

I can't find anything that'd suit Marth or Gatekeeper and I'm sure I'm giving IS way too much credit by mentioning these, but I've seen some fun theorycrafts lately and wanted to throw my own hat into the ring. What do you think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/TempleofMarianne/comments/lftpki/generated_over_7000_votes_for_marianne_taking/

Apparently this Reddit user claims to have botted votes for Marianne.

Edit: A lot of people are calling BS, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by trainer_derp

15 minutes ago, trainer_derp said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TempleofMarianne/comments/lftpki/generated_over_7000_votes_for_marianne_taking/

I certainly hope this isn't true. If it is (which I doubt) then CYL really has no point, or fun, or anything for fans to genuinely root for.

It seems very likely that this is just a play for attention and trying to get a rise out of Eirika and Byleth fans. I guess if they found a way to bypass the login then maybe it's possible, but the whole thing is way too fishy for me to believe it's real.

4 hours ago, trainer_derp said:

I really, really hope this is just some attention-starved troll. They posted a code fragment before the post got deleted which some people said "looked plausible" but again: I really hope that isn't the case...

On 2/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I believe poor Siegbert also did poorly in the fates popularity polls. I call it the Ignatz syndrome. A character getting hated or ignored despite there not being a particular reason as to why it should be the case. If anything I'd always thought Siegbert would be liked due to being the closest Fates had to a ''Marth''.

That’s part of his appeal to me, to the point that in a future Conquest playthrough I’m considering making a blue-haired female avatar to marry to Xander, then make Siegbert a Lodestar. As a bonus, I’ll name my avatar Lucina and make her a Great Lord, since I crack ship Lucina and Xander. 😚

On 2/3/2021 at 6:05 PM, Ether said:

I think its less that people dislike him and more that he doesn't rank among most peoples favourites. He seems to be a character most people are ambivalent to positive about but people only get so many votes, and he doesn't have not being in the game to boost him, nor being a homegrown hero like Reinhardt. I like Siegbert well enough but I'd probably never pick him as someone to vote for.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:32 AM, Medeus said:

I find most of the Fates kids in general don't really do well on the polls. The only ones that I'd say are really popular are Soleil, Nina, Forrest, Ophelia, and Selkie, with the rest either being more middling or just doing poorly in general and it may be due to being tied to the controversial Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Another problem is that while Siegbert's a good character, he's one that doesn't immediately get your attention whether due to a design or personality hook, so fans tend to gloss over him more often then not since he's rarely their favorite character and thus not one they'll prioritize giving votes to. 

I agree with you both. As much as I like Siegbert, he isn’t one of my favorite Fates characters (though in all fairness, I love many Fates characters, so there is plenty of competition). I don’t see myself ever voting for Siegbert unless in a shocking twist he somehow makes it to the top 10 of CYL midterms and I don’t like the other nine males as much. That’s about the only way I’ll vote for characters who are already in Heroes. E.g. if female Corrin reaches the top 3 or 5 next year, I might switch to voting for her.

On 2/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, eclipse said:

I'd rather have Marth on a horse, to commemorate the brave knight that sacrificed himself all those years back.

I love this idea! 💙

On 2/6/2021 at 10:00 PM, Jotari said:

if we're to get any Three Houses beast units at all (and I  think we absolutely should due to point 1, we're really low on potential beast units for the series), which I think they'll have to do for Hegemon Edelgard alone (though them just making her a tome unit is *shudder* not impossible), then we're just going to have to ignore the whole can't transform back aspect.

This was the case with Lilith in Fates, but in Heroes, IS took creative license so she can revert back to her human form from her true astral dragon form.

Edited by Magenta Fantasies

On 2/7/2021 at 2:11 AM, Jotari said:

Marianne doesn't have any "cannon" class, at least beyond Priest, as she's the only unit you don't fight at any point in part 2 (likely because she becomes a beast if you don't recruit her into your army).

No it is actually implied that Marianne couldn't take her curse anymore and .... well you know.

4 hours ago, OutcastsofRelix said:

No it is actually implied that Marianne couldn't take her curse anymore and .... well you know.

You mean she killed herself? How is that any more implied than a transformation? I don't recall her being mentioned at all in Part 2. I guess one could use the logic that she doesn't turn into a beast if you recruit her so she's never destined to, but I don't think the game really suggests anything at all.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

You mean she killed herself? How is that any more implied than a transformation? I don't recall her being mentioned at all in Part 2. I guess one could use the logic that she doesn't turn into a beast if you recruit her so she's never destined to, but I don't think the game really suggests anything at all.

That implication is there because Marianne all but actually says that she was suicidal in her A rank support with Byleth:

Spoiler

"Back then, I felt that my life served no purpose and that I was nothing more than a burden. In truth, I was begging the goddess to take me to her. That was my daily prayer...but now I fear the idea of dying and being left alone."

8 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

That implication is there because Marianne all but actually says that she was suicidal in her A rank support with Byleth:

Hide contents

"Back then, I felt that my life served no purpose and that I was nothing more than a burden. In truth, I was begging the goddess to take me to her. That was my daily prayer...but now I fear the idea of dying and being left alone."

Good thing Byleth is somehow Fodlan's best therapist, on top of everything else. I guess you could say that they're a great listener.

On 2/14/2021 at 7:09 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Good thing Byleth is somehow Fodlan's best therapist, on top of everything else. I guess you could say that they're a great listener.

Yeah, I'm glad too. Marianne is one of the more interesting characters of Three Houses. And her character isn't as one dimensional like other characters in 3H. Also her x Claude are one the best 3H supports I've ever read.