Choose Your Legends Round 5 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Who are you voting for this CYL?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for this CYL?

Kinda curious as to why some believe Marianne would get Blutgang in her Academy Phase as opposed to her War Phase which is the only time she can get it.

Anyway, talking about that, I've always advocated for a Fallen Marianne where where she succumbs to her "curse" and turns into demonic beast like Maurice, but honestly, even after getting first place in CYL, I still think it's really unlikely that she'll get a Fallen alt compared to other candidates. I do think, however,  that it could have potential to be reworked as Brave alt despite not being your typical heroic concept on paper. The reason I say this is because Maurice was a pretty intelligent beast, being (possibly the only one?) able to hold a conversation with humans. That could lend itself well to the concept that, even if Marianne were to end up with a similar fate as Maurice, she could somehow find a way to control it and become the first person to be able to keep her senses and freely change between beast and human.

It may sound farfetched, and maybe it is, but I certainly think it would be a much more interesting alt than the expected Blutgang or Healer alt.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Kinda curious as to why some believe Marianne would get Blutgang in her Academy Phase as opposed to her War Phase which is the only time she can get it.

Anyway, talking about that, I've always advocated for a Fallen Marianne where where she succumbs to her "curse" and turns into demonic beast like Maurice, but honestly, even after getting first place in CYL, I still think it's really unlikely that she'll get a Fallen alt compared to other candidates. I do think, however,  that it could have potential to be reworked as Brave alt despite not being your typical heroic concept on paper. The reason I say this is because Maurice was a pretty intelligent beast, being (possibly the only one?) able to hold a conversation with humans. That could lend itself well to the concept that, even if Marianne were to end up with a similar fate as Maurice, she could somehow find a way to control it and become the first person to be able to keep her senses and freely change between beast and human.

It may sound farfetched, and maybe it is, but I certainly think it would be a much more interesting alt than the expected Blutgang or Healer alt.

IIRC, Annette can only get Crusher in the war phase but it didn't stop her academy version in Heroes from getting it. 

Interesting how Marianne winning means now each house has a 1st place CYL winner and all three of them could plausibly get Fallen versions. 

Marianne has the potential of doing something completely left field from what you'd expect from her. I feel like last year's CYL was kind of a "boring" one with people in their basic promoted classes because they were all 3H. With this year having Marth and Eirika along with two 3H characters, it's possible that they won't make Marianne a straight promote of her base class or give her CYL self a form of Blutgang.

9 minutes ago, Othin said:

IIRC, Annette can only get Crusher in the war phase but it didn't stop her academy version in Heroes from getting it. 

Interesting how Marianne winning means now each house has a 1st place CYL winner and all three of them could plausibly get Fallen versions. 

True, but she's the only 3H character that uses a relic in Heroes in a phase she's not supposed to. Not saying it's impossible that Marianne would get Blutgang in her Academy phase but it just seems unlikely.

And huh, I didn't even make that connection kinda funny that it worked out like that.

Regarding Fallen 3H Heroes...

Spoiler

Now that I think about it, we may actually get a 3H Fallen Heroes banner this year, exclusively featuring black beasts. There are plenty of characters who could be on it, Marianne being one of them, and Edelgard and Miklan being the other two I can think of. I don't know of anyone else who turns into one, but given how black beasts come into being, pretty much anyone could become one. I guess they could make Dimitri not a black beats, but still have a Fallen, "wild boar" version, but he'd really stick out in that crowd.

But yeah, Marianne getting her special sword makes sense. I could see her getting Blizzard (blue tome) or Ice Lance (res-striking lance) too, though.

One of the biggest arguments for her getting Blutgang, that I've seen, is the fact that she is first place and will get a unique skill. So they could just give her Beast Fang as a skill similar to the Lords getting their combat arts as skills.

Interesting to see everyone talking about a potential Fallen alt for her. My idea was her being a Mage (Mortal Savant) with a Tome that is effective against Fliers and Cavalry. She lost her sense of self and destroys the things that she's suppose to otherwise love.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:14 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Some interesting things to note

The likes of Acheron and Yukimura are more popular than poor Siegbert. Oh no. 
I am proud to say I am one of the six(the SIX!!!) people in the world to have voted for Lekain. 498 out of 500 is just....yikes. 

It’s both funny and sad how poorly Siegbert does every year in CYL. Percy is another one of my favorite second-gen Fates characters, and also does poorly in CYL, yet he had more votes than Siegbert this year. Even Rickard (who is always in the 500s in past years) was ahead of Siegbert this year! Given that, it’s surprising Siegbert was added to Heroes so early.

I never understood why so few people vote for Siegbert. I’ve never met anyone who dislikes him, and he’s a good unit in Fates. I like his design/outfit/color scheme and personality. He’s earnest, polite, multitalented, eager to please others and kind-hearted. Siegbert’s lack of self-confidence is cute and endears him to me. While he’s no Shigure, he’s good-looking in his own right.

I thought Lekain would get more votes, too, certainly more than six.

Edited by Magenta Fantasies

59 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Regarding Fallen 3H Heroes...

Reveal hidden contents

Now that I think about it, we may actually get a 3H Fallen Heroes banner this year, exclusively featuring black beasts. There are plenty of characters who could be on it, Marianne being one of them, and Edelgard and Miklan being the other two I can think of. I don't know of anyone else who turns into one, but given how black beasts come into being, pretty much anyone could become one. I guess they could make Dimitri not a black beats, but still have a Fallen, "wild boar" version, but he'd really stick out in that crowd.

Spoiler

Didn't Dedue turn into one on the Crimson Flower path as well?  And then there's Aefric or whatever the guys name in the DLC was as a handy TT bonus.

1 hour ago, kradeelav said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Dedue turn into one on the Crimson Flower path as well?  And then there's Aefric or whatever the guys name in the DLC was as a handy TT bonus.

Spoiler

Yeah, Dedue can turn into a Demonic Beast on the second to last map of Crimson Flower if you let him.

You can, however, kill him before he shifts (I know this because I did it).

1 hour ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

I never understood why so few people vote for Siegbert. I’ve never met anyone who dislikes him, and he’s a good unit in Fates. I like his design/outfit/color scheme and personality. He’s earnest, polite, multitalented, eager to please others and kind-hearted. Siegbert’s lack of self-confidence is cute and endears him to me. While he’s no Shigure, he’s good-looking in his own right.

I believe poor Siegbert also did poorly in the fates popularity polls. I call it the Ignatz syndrome. A character getting hated or ignored despite there not being a particular reason as to why it should be the case. If anything I'd always thought Siegbert would be liked due to being the closest Fates had to a ''Marth''. 

1 hour ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

On the other hand it means me and my five friends would be very happy when he gets into the game. 

2 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

It’s both funny and sad how poorly Siegbert does every year in CYL. Percy is another one of my favorite second-gen Fates characters, and also does poorly in CYL, yet he had more votes than Siegbert this year. Even Rickard (who is always in the 500s in past years) was ahead of Siegbert this year! Given that, it’s surprising Siegbert was added to Heroes so early.

I think its less that people dislike him and more that he doesn't rank among most peoples favourites. He seems to be a character most people are ambivalent to positive about but people only get so many votes, and he doesn't have not being in the game to boost him, nor being a homegrown hero like Reinhardt. I like Siegbert well enough but I'd probably never pick him as someone to vote for.

5 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Marianne has the potential of doing something completely left field from what you'd expect from her. 

It may. Brave Hector uses Maltet. A weapon from his world, but as far as I know, doesn’t appear in his game at all 

40 minutes ago, Midnox said:

It may. Brave Hector uses Maltet. A weapon from his world, but as far as I know, doesn’t appear in his game at all 

Yeah, at the time of FE7, Maltet is sealed away. Mulagir, too.

Naga also wasn't accessible in FE4 Gen 1, but Deirdre shows up with it in Heroes.

1 hour ago, Midnox said:

55 minutes ago, Othin said:

Naga also wasn't accessible in FE4 Gen 1, but Deirdre shows up with it in Heroes.

If a weapon exists in the same era as the Hero I think it's fair that they get to use it in Heroes.

@Mercakete

Marianne getting Frozen Lance as a literal weapon is such a cool idea! Maybe it could add 25% of her Res stat as true damage to her attacks (so the inverse of L!Celica's Seraphim)?

10 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

If a weapon exists in the same era as the Hero I think it's fair that they get to use it in Heroes.

@Mercakete

Marianne getting Frozen Lance as a literal weapon is such a cool idea! Maybe it could add 25% of her Res stat as true damage to her attacks (so the inverse of L!Celica's Seraphim)?

Yeah, as odd as it is I don't mind, personally. I'd actually speculated about Brave Lyn and Deirdre using those weapons before they were released, despite the incongruity. I also remember seeing people speculate about Brave Hector getting Maltet, although I'd been betting on Rex Hasta since he didn't have a personal connection to Maltet.

15 hours ago, Florete said:

I don't think Gatekeeper would have filled that slot. The CYL freebie has never been a top-10 ranker, probably because they expect that character can sell (fyi, year 1 gave us Black Knight, year 2 didn't have a CYL-related freebie). If they gave us the theoretical #5 as the freebie we'd have had Awakening Anna in year 3.

Probably coincidence, but the CYL freebie has always been a Tellius character.

I doubt ranking in Top 10 has anything to do with it. Jorge was a high-placer in CYL 4 and they still used him. You could argue it was a joke and they knew about possible bots, but you can say the same thing about Gatekeeper and memes.

Regardless, I do wonder if they'll break that Tellius streak or keep it going with, like...Marcia, or Tormod.

42 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Regardless, I do wonder if they'll break that Tellius streak or keep it going with, like...Marcia, or Tormod.

Dang, getting Marcia or Tormod as the GHB would make me really happy. Since trait fruits will let me change them to be whatever, I don't have to spend orbs to get them, and all I need to do is wait (a year or two) for weapon refine.

@kradeelav

Like I said, I didn't know of any others (and hoped no one would bring any others up.) When in doubt of what would be a spoiler for me, check my sig. I keep it updated with where I am in various FE games to avoid things like this. (Or at least label your spoiler tag with "Crimson Flower Spoilers" or something. I haven't played that route yet and am EXTREMELY spoilers-sensitive. I don't even watch previews for movies or read the dialogue in banner announcements.) I know you didn't mean to cause me despair, so this is just a cautionary bit of info on me, but it did kind of cause me some gloom... Still, I want to make it clear that I'm not holding it against you. As I said, I understand that you were only trying to be helpful.

@DefyingFates

Good idea! Also, I didn't think Frozen Lance as a literal weapon was all that creative. XD; Thanks, though.

I kind of just expect them to do something simple with Marianne like last year's winners and just have her be a Holy Knight with Abraxas (even though she couldn't learn it in Three Houses) or have some new variant of Aura.

I'm more curious what they are going to give to Eirika. Is she going to steal another Sacred Twin since we don't have anyone using Latona or the Sacred Stones version of Excalibur in Heroes yet. I actually kind of want her to be a green tome unit with Excalibur since I still don't really have that many green tome units built that I like using.

I also wonder what they are going to do with Marth. Sword infantry seems to be the boring option they would go for but I really wish they would do something more unique like have him dress up in a male variant of Caeda outfit and wield the Wing Spear while riding a pegasus or wyvern or I have seen some people suggest that he should wield Starlight which sounds neat. But again I wouldn't be surprised if IS gave him a new variant of Mercurius or Falchion with crazy support effects and called it a day.

13 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

I find most of the Fates kids in general don't really do well on the polls. The only ones that I'd say are really popular are Soleil, Nina, Forrest, Ophelia, and Selkie, with the rest either being more middling or just doing poorly in general and it may be due to being tied to the controversial Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Another problem is that while Siegbert's a good character, he's one that doesn't immediately get your attention whether due to a design or personality hook, so fans tend to gloss over him more often then not since he's rarely their favorite character and thus not one they'll prioritize giving votes to. 

Edited by Medeus

15 hours ago, Othin said:

14 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

@Mercakete

Sure, but the point was, if BH, and Brave Lyn as well with Pathia, we’re granted their respective weapons despite not appearing in Blazing Sword, the argument of Marianne not getting her weapons because she didn’t get it during academic phase holds no water

15 minutes ago, Midnox said:

the argument of Marianne not getting her weapons because she didn’t get it during academic phase holds no water

Maybe I'm missing something, but that never held water ever since Annette got Crusher. The only reason Marianne may not have Blutgang here is because it's almost certainly being saved for her standard alt.

Edited by DefyingFates