Which game would you want to adapt as a Netflix series?

Perkilator

If Fire Emblem got a Netflix series based on one of its games, then which game would you want to adapt?

I'd pick the Archanea games; Season 1 could adapt Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, and Season 2 could adapt Mystery of the Emblem.

Elibe. Do something similar to Castlevania where the first season is only a few episodes long and depicts the story of Lyn mode from Blazing Blade. Then, the second season could be longer and depict the main Blazing Blade story, and the third season could depict Binding Blade.

Genealogy Gen 1 could make a -lousy- attempt at harnessing some generic "dark medieval fantasy" energies. And speaking more seriously, it is a game that could greatly benefit from the slowdown that a multiple-seasons show could provide. The SigurdxDeidre romance would be made better by it, since there ought to be plenty of downtime between chapters available in a TV show that a game can't have which would help with that. Likewise, we could get glimpses of court politics back in Belhalla and the Issach Campaign, thereby helping the no-characters of Prince Kurth, Prince Marricle and Duke Ring, as well as Byron, Andrei, Lombard & Langobal & their children, and Arvis.

As a result of the Second Generation being less defined and much happier, I'd end at the end of Gen 1 instead of continuing the show. It'd otherwise easily become so disparate.

Sacred Stones. The story is relatively simple, self-contained and emotional.

But no Netflix adaptation, please.

Since we're talking about a series, I would have to go with Path of Radiance for several reasons:

First and foremost, its story would easily be the most straightforward to adapt; the Archanea games are so barebones that I'd have to add a lot to the script and the later games like Fates and Three Houses are so variable that I'd have to decide what plot and subplots to even go with. With Path of Radiance, it would be a lot easier to adapt: the script is pretty much already there, the characters are fully fleshed-out, the worldbuilding is there without having to read in-game library books, and the plot doesn't have any divergent paths or anything.

It also has easily the most refined plot of any of the FE games as well as one of the easiest plots for newcomers to the series to ease into, so its not only the easiest to adapt, but, in my opinion, it's the one that's the most worthwhile to adapt.

Finally, Ike is one of the most well-received of all the FE lords, so he's an excellent choice for a 1st FE Netflix Series.

As for how I would adapt it, hm... live-action and animation have different pros and cons, and I think the pros of animation outweigh those of live-action in this particular case, so I think I would adapt it in animation. The animation would be 2D and anime-esque like Castlevania if not completely anime. If completely anime, one studio I would definitely want to hire for the project (or at least talk to one of their animation teams) would be A-1 Pictures, since they have experience with adapting something like an FE plot when they made Record of Grancrest War (see spoiler tag below for the show's openings to get a sense of what I'm talking about):

I would want to have a good number of episodes. At first, the show would cover two chapters per episode, but after the chapters start to get longer, I would want to slow down and cover a chapter an episode at most. Season 1 would start with an episode adapting the prologue and chapter 1, and it would end on a 2-part episode adapting Chapter 17: Day Breaks.

Then season 2 would start with Chapter 18: Crimea Marches, and naturally end with the epilogue. Each season would have its own opening and ending, with the episode where Ike confronts the Black Knight having a special version of season 2's opening that puts more focus on Ike vs the Black Knight.

Oh, and to be clear, I'd be adapting the North American localization of the game's script (though I'd add in some scenes that were cut like drunk Shinon) as the NA localization is easily the best version in terms of story and character. 

Edited by vanguard333

I don’t think Three Houses would be that difficult to adapt into a tv series, you could easily make Byleth be a professor to all the classes, with each class doing each mission separately, and you could easily combine parts of AM, VW, SS together. I guess the only problem would be that it would make the Empire and Black Eagles the antagonist much to the dismay of many fans of the Black Eagles.

I think it depends on the type of series one's going for. If one wants a traditional fantasy story that's then deconstructed, the Tellius duology. If one wants a deconstruction of a fantasy story that's then reconstructed, the Jugdral saga is where it's at. If one wants a "choose your own adventure" type of story, then Fates would probably be the way to go. 

However, if one wants an anime, then Three Houses is easily the best pick imo. 

23 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

I don’t think Three Houses would be that difficult to adapt into a tv series, you could easily make Byleth be a professor to all the classes, with each class doing each mission separately, and you could easily combine parts of AM, VW, SS together. I guess the only problem would be that it would make the Empire and Black Eagles the antagonist much to the dismay of many fans of the Black Eagles.

I've actually thought about this! In my head, I'd have Byleth split into twins. Bylad would teach the Golden Deer, while Bylass teaches the Blue Lions. Manuela and Hanneman would be join teachers for the Black Eagles. (Their constant arguing would provide a reason for students to transfer classes.)* Verdant Wind and Azure Moon follow pretty similar story beats up until the end. As for some of the story differences:

Spoiler

Claude and Bylad split with Dimitri and Bylass after The Battle at Gronder Field, choosing to wage war from the Alliance capital instead. The story would then follow Dimitri's return to sanity and retaking of his homeland. Claude, Bylad, and the rest of the Golden Deer would come back into focus after they're rescued by Dimitri and Co. 

The two houses retake the empire, Dimitri is crowned, and then the focus goes back to Claude as he finishes up the Verdant Wind story. 

Black Eagles would later receive an OVA movie focusing on what would have happened if Bylass joined the Black Eagles, skimming through the first half of the game to show what Edelgard was doing in the background and how having a mentor and confidant in Bylass would have helped her. (With maybe a follow up with Bylad and Silver Snow?) 

...granted, this doesn't really fix the problem, but there's not easy fix for the Crimson Flower route. Rehashing the entire Part 1 feels like a waste of the viewer's time, but skipping it isn't a giant option either. The best I can think of to do is to offer an apology and give them their own special story with their own focus. 

As to why Three Houses is the best choice (this is copy and pasted from a previous comment of mine):

Three Houses has a great school setting that could fit in its own tournament arc (and subvert it by making it seem like a big deal, only for the character in the spotlight (probably Caspar) to realize that these things happen pretty much every month, so losing isn't a big deal), a sauna episode, a beach episode (the follow-up to Flayn and Seteth's paralogue, ending with Flayn and Seteth saying goodbye to their loved one), and so many more fun hijinks that the anime genre usually loves. Episodes based around paralogues are great ways to highlight the characters while also showing some development. Those would be great places to put supports and give us interactions that the supports didn't as well. 

I would also give more time dedicated to other, minor characters, such as that "son of a knight," his romantic interest in that "young ingénue," Poe from Cipher, and quite possibly that dummied out/unused character who held the minor crest of Cichol (I think the speculation at the time was that she would be an illegitimate half-sibling of Ferdinand, and I think that storyline would be really cool to explore - put her in the Ashen Wolves house!). This provides new content and gives fans of the games new content!

And as soon as fans who haven't played the game think this show is all about "fantasy high school," Chapter 11 happens and the story flips completely, leading to an utterly heartbreaking Season 2 finale. And then we pick up five years later, and everything has changed...

Which route and which Byleth would be chosen, you might wonder. Well, in my mind, we'd have both versions of Byleth present, with Bylad (named Byleth in my mind) teaching the Golden Deer and Bylass (aka Belle (after the demon Belial)) teaching the Blue Lions. 

The main chapter fights would be split between these two houses as well (and maybe the Black Eagles, if only to provide the impetus for some of the students wanting to change houses): 

The Golden Deer would get - Chapter 2 (Zanado), Chapter 4 (Holy Masuleum (with B.E.)), and Chapter 6 (Flayn Rescue).

The Blue Lions would get - Chapter 3 (Lonato), Chapter 5 (Miklain), and Chapter 8 (Remire Village).

Both would share Chapters 9-12 (Chapel Ruins, Sealed Forest, Holy Tomb, and Outer Wall). 

The Battle of the Eagle and Lion and the mock battle would be split between all three Houses. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

Lyn Mode. Hands down. Of all the stories in the series, when I think of what would be the most interesting with each individual chapter expanded out into a whole episode, it would definitely be Lyn Mode. While it's still got high fantasy elements and action, it's also got the most down to earth and human premise: An orphaned teenage girl who just found out she still just barely has family left and is going on a cross-country road trip with a bunch of misfits and strangers to meet her estranged grandfather. I would love to see that expanded into a whole season.

56 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The Pyrathi stuff would probably be seen as filler and cut, since all it does is explain where Marth's army temporarily goes after fleeing that harbour, and then then Marth is contacted by the Whitewings at the end, immediately heads back to the mainland now that he has potential allies on the mainland, and Pyrathi is never so much as spoken of again. He could easily be contacted while still on the ship and nothing would be lost from the original tale.

Personally, I wouldn't cut it since Ogma was born in Pyrathi and it would be interesting to see him react to the idea of trying to refuge in Pyrathi. He could be the biggest voice against the idea, he could be seen keeping his head down until someone inevitably recognizes him, etc. But again, it would be hard to make an episode about Pyrathi not seem like filler. Perhaps having Marth be morally conflicted about decisions made on the island and having it affect him and how he approaches the war going forward could perhaps work, but one would really have to be careful.

By the way, what do you think of my idea for how to adapt an FE game as a Netflix series?

On 1/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, Jingilator said:

If Fire Emblem got a Netflix series based on one of its games, then which game would you want to adapt?

I'd pick the Archanea games; Season 1 could adapt Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, and Season 2 could adapt Mystery of the Emblem.

feels like this question been asked in other thread. but oh well

Elibe, because i like the lore, but also not Elibe since its massive cast would just make people argue with each other who should and should not appear. not even big budget series  would care to insert that many character afaik

so SoV would be my second choice. not too hard to follow (unlike 3H tangled web), while also having 2 PoV, smaller cast, a farm boy who's actually not a farm boi protag with canon love interest

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

By the way, what do you think of my idea for how to adapt an FE game as a Netflix series?

as long as (almost) every episode and encounter can have its up and down, its possible to adapt into series. but i want to know what aspect of "netflix adaptation" like the memes and bad jokes we want to discuss here. or you meant just any kind of series with netflix being one example?

10 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

The Pyrathi stuff would probably be seen as filler and cut, since all it does is explain where Marth's army temporarily goes after fleeing that harbour, and then then Marth is contacted by the Whitewings at the end, immediately heads back to the mainland now that he has potential allies on the mainland, and Pyrathi is never so much as spoken of again. He could easily be contacted while still on the ship and nothing would be lost from the original tale.

Personally, I wouldn't cut it since Ogma was born in Pyrathi and it would be interesting to see him react to the idea of trying to refuge in Pyrathi. He could be the biggest voice against the idea, he could be seen keeping his head down until someone inevitably recognizes him, etc. But again, it would be hard to make an episode about Pyrathi not seem like filler. Perhaps having Marth be morally conflicted about decisions made on the island and having it affect him and how he approaches the war going forward could perhaps work, but one would really have to be careful.

Pyrathi could be cut in the game's because the games are so lo on content, but it along with Port Warren could be a big turning point for the story. As this is the one moment on the war where Marth is actually losing. So it's the perfect time to implement higher stakes for everyone involved. It's also an opportunity to give the villains screen time, specifically given its Grust forcing Marth to Pyrathi, an opportunity to lay down the foundations of Camus as a character (we could even have a Doluna general wanting to pursue Marth into Pyrathi but Camus refusing).

1 hour ago, joevar said:

as long as (almost) every episode and encounter can have its up and down, its possible to adapt into series. but i want to know what aspect of "netflix adaptation" like the memes and bad jokes we want to discuss here. or you meant just any kind of series with netflix being one example?

I realize now that I phrased my question poorly.

I meant the answer I gave to this topic's main question: my idea that I would adapt Path of Radiance as a two-season animates series, that I'd hire A-1 Pictures since they have experience with making a fantasy war anime in the form of Record of Grancrest War, etc. See the first reply I made in this thread for more details (it's the fourth reply overall).

37 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Pyrathi could be cut in the game's because the games are so lo on content, but it along with Port Warren could be a big turning point for the story. As this is the one moment on the war where Marth is actually losing. So it's the perfect time to implement higher stakes for everyone involved. It's also an opportunity to give the villains screen time, specifically given its Grust forcing Marth to Pyrathi, an opportunity to lay down the foundations of Camus as a character (we could even have a Doluna general wanting to pursue Marth into Pyrathi but Camus refusing).

I suppose that could work. 

Edited by vanguard333

27 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I realize now that I phrased my question poorly.

I meant the answer I gave to this topic's main question: my idea that I would adapt Path of Radiance as a two-season animates series, that I'd hire A-1 Pictures since they have experience with making a fantasy war anime in the form of Record of Grancrest War, etc. See the first reply I made in this thread for more details (it's the fourth reply overall).

uhh.. im not sure that title is a good example. not for an adaptation at least imo, (not the quality of the animation, but more of pacing, script, which get animated and which not). A-1 pretty much hit and miss nowadays

but (i think) i get your point. it has faction, allegiance, continent spread chaos but somehow the conflict still contained in smaller scale like most FE.

3 minutes ago, joevar said:

uhh.. im not sure that title is a good example. not for an adaptation at least imo, (not the quality of the animation, but more of pacing, script, which get animated and which not). A-1 pretty much hit and miss nowadays

but (i think) i get your point. it has faction, allegiance, continent spread chaos but somehow the conflict still contained in smaller scale like most FE.

Yeah, the anime's pacing was definitely an issue. I think they simply weren't given enough episodes; had the show been given even so much as 28 episodes instead of 24, I think it would've been a big improvement. But I never read the light novels; I only stumbled upon the anime a year ago (on Netflix, funny enough) and I enjoyed it overall. 

Yeah; that's more what I meant, that they have experience depicting and animating factions, allegiances, sieges, wide-scale battles and army formations, etc. I'm assuming, since the topic is about adapting a show as a Netflix series (which seem to be able to have as many episodes as they need rather than a fixed number), that the pacing issue that RoGW suffered would be a non-issue since there'd be a far greater degree of control over the number of episodes and stuff like that. Of course, there'd be new challenges in adapting a video game rather than light novel volumes, but I wouldn't have A-1 Pictures do everything.

What do you think of the idea of choosing Path of Radiance as the game to adapt, as well as my reasons for choosing it?

On 1/21/2021 at 1:55 AM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Elibe. Do something similar to Castlevania where the first season is only a few episodes long and depicts the story of Lyn mode from Blazing Blade. Then, the second season could be longer and depict the main Blazing Blade story, and the third season could depict Binding Blade.

Yes, an animation with a more mature theme instead of generic shonen thing. They could do 3 seasons for every game.  

As for Elibe, first season could Lyn's journey, second follow Eliwood's story finding his father, and third season has more focus on Hector with the resolution of the story, with him finding armads and being the one who kills the boss.

Then the next three seasons focus on the next generation with Roy as their hero. The second or third season would be basically original material focused on the war and politics of Sacae and then Ilia. Those places have potential to be expanded as full fleshed settings. 

The problem is that any pairing chosen will piss half of the fanbase. 

Edited by Mylady

2 hours ago, Mylady said:

Yes, an animation with a more mature theme instead of generic shonen thing. They could do 3 seasons for every game.  

As for Elibe, first season could Lyn's journey, second follow Eliwood's story finding his father, and third season has more focus on Hector with the resolution of the story, with him finding armads and being the one who kills the boss.

Then the next three seasons focus on the next generation with Roy as their hero. The second or third season would be basically original material focused on the war and politics of Sacae and then Ilia. Those places have potential to be expanded as full fleshed settings. 

The problem is that any pairing chosen will piss half of the fanbase. 

Twist, go for pairings that aren't possible in the game just to annoy them even more.

Lyn X Wallace, Eliwood X Priscilla and Hector X Eleanora.

Then for 6: Roy X Echinda, Lilina X Yoder and Wolt X Niime.

Lyn mode might be a good idea though.

I wouldn't exactly want a 3H Anime, I don't hate the game but if the anime were to double down on all the highschool anime stuff and such that would be unbearable for me, Awakening is already pretty awful in feeling like a bad romance anime with stuff right out of terrible highschool romance anime and well, if a 3H anime were to lean into that, I'd probably hate it.

On the plus side since they're not player controlled maybe everyone can stop sucking Byleth's ego off for 5 seconds and maybe Byleth can have something resembling a character consistently. (Maybe even actually show how bloody awkward it is when they start teaching instead of skipping past that to when 90 percent of the cast now adore Byleth.)

I wanna see Byleth casually describe disemboweling a man to their students not realizing that it's unnerving most of them and other stuff that would probably happen if you made an emotionally stinted mercenary a teacher.

Edited by Samz707

I think Lyn mode would be the best. Lyn is a fan fav lord as we all know, Lyn mode cast is short, personal and has a small enough cast that everyone could shine. It would really easily fit into the typical 12 episode anime season and then they could do a season 2 with 24 episodes to cover Eliwood/Hector mode.

Other than Elibe, I would like to see an continuation of the old Mystery of the Emblem OVA. While Archanea has a large cast, none of them besides a select a few are important enough to be main characters with large roles or just not to be cut at all. Really the only characters that are needed to be MCs would be Marth, Caeda, Hardin, Minerva, Linde, Tiki, Elice, and Nyna with Gharnef and Malledus being main antagonists. Marth's og squad of Jeigan, Abel, Cain, Draug and Gordin would just be secondary/recurring, as would Ogma, Navarre, Julian, Lena, Merric, Bantu, the Whitewings and Gotoh. Then other more prominent characters could have their one episode to do smth like Midia and then just fade into the background. A 24 episode season anime would be fine for this imo.

4 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Twist, go for pairings that aren't possible in the game just to annoy them even more.

Lyn mode might be a good idea though.

I wouldn't exactly want a 3H Anime, I don't hate the game but if the anime were to double down on all the highschool anime stuff and such that would be unbearable for me, Awakening is already pretty awful in feeling like a bad romance anime with stuff right out of terrible highschool romance anime and well, if a 3H anime were to lean into that, I'd probably hate it.

On the plus side since they're not player controlled maybe everyone can stop sucking Byleth's ego off for 5 seconds and maybe Byleth can have something resembling a character consistently. (Maybe even actually show how bloody awkward it is when they start teaching instead of skipping past that to when 90 percent of the cast now adore Byleth.)

I wanna see Byleth casually describe disemboweling a man to their students not realizing that it's unnerving most of them and other stuff that would probably happen if you made an emotionally stinted mercenary a teacher.

Or how about a more radical twist. Don't make the game be about bloody pairings at all XD

5 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Please, it's gotta be Hector x Priscilla to royally piss off Raven.

19 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Lyn X Wallace, Eliwood x Priscilla and Hector x Eleanora.

Then for 6: Roy x Echinda, Lilina x Yoder and Wolt x Niime.

Wow those are quality pairings. Hector banging the mother of his best friend, Lilina being Eliwood's younger sister is a good twist.

Lilina x Yoder and Wolt x Niime is particularly beautiful too. 

A continuation of the Fire Emblem OVAs from the 1990s lol

In seriousness I think Sacred Stones would make an amazing netflix series by itself, though I'm not sure if giving it to Netflix to make and produce would be for the best.

You'd have great moments like the escape from Castle Renais and the duel between Seth and Valter in the first episode, interesting side arcs like Duessel's defection from the Grado Army due to disagreements with the King and Cormag seeking revenge on Valter for the death of his brother.

I think just keeping the general tone but even expanding on some of the darker aspects like Morva's fight against Myrrh and Orson's fall to madness would be great viewing.