Should Lorenz be a staff unit?

Jotari

So all Three Houses characters have some leeway in what they can come as in Heroes, but even among them I find Lorenz to be a particularly unique beast. He's obviously magically inclined, yet all his "canon" classes have him as a paladin (and by "canon" I mean the classes he is when you recruit him or when you fight him as an enemy). So it seems he has some of a dislike for magic. But that's the least concerning thing regarding Heroes, the thing I'm most interested in is Thyrsus, his associated item in Three Houses. Heroes is putting characters in with their staffs recently with Cadecus and Kia, so it's be a bit strange if they don't put Thyrsus in now, but unlike Flayn, Lorenz specializes more in black magic than white magic. So I can't help but think it'd be a bit strange on him. I could see them using it as a B slot or something and giving him Axe of Ukonvasara. Eh, maybe I'm over thinking it and him being a staff cavalry would be absolutely fine. Not sure how much mileage there is out of this topic.

Also in case it's not obvious this is about Three Houses Lorenz. Obviously Archanea Lorenz would introduce the self incendiary weapon type.

Reminder that Faye was an archer -- a class she is physically incapable of being in her game.

Lorenz at least has the ability to become a staff user. And white magic and black magic aren't particularly exclusive in 3H either. So yeah, I could see him coming with it.

I think it's a noble idea for him to come with his personal staff. Whatever that man chooses to be, I support it. Instead of coming with the wrathful or dazzling staff built into the weapon, it can come with reduce all incoming damage by 50%

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think it's a noble idea for him to come with his personal staff. Whatever that man chooses to be, I support it. Instead of coming with the wrathful or dazzling staff built into the weapon, it can come with reduce all incoming damage by 50%

I was thinking m extended the range of all assist to 2 range could be a really interesting effect (since two range assists are possible yet for some reason Physic is the only one to use the feature). Though your idea does draw from its source too and would help him work like a combat staff user more similar to how he actually is played in Three Houses.

It doesn't seem like anyone gives Lorenz Thyrsus over handing it to Lysithea in Three Houses, and I wouldn't be surprised if IS was aware of that. Giving it to him in Heroes would feel a little weird, even if it's technically his.

Edited by gayofthelake

8 hours ago, gayofthelake said:

It doesn't seem like anyone gives Lorenz Thyrsus over handing it to Lysithea in Three Houses, and I wouldn't be surprised if IS was aware of that. Giving it to him in Heroes would feel a little weird, even if it's technically his.

I don't use Lysithea if I can help it, so Lorenz gets Thyrsus.  Always.

I should also note that Lorenz's situation is very similar to that of Kiria's. She also uses staffs yet is a black mage in Tokyo Mirage Session. Though TMS being TMS there idea of staffs is as a microphone, so it's not as immediately obvious in Heroes, especially since they use the word rod instead of staff for her weapon (though fun fact Thrysus actually debuted in Tokyo Mirage Sessions as one of her weapons). So they felt no compulsion to stick to the technicalities of her weapon and instead represented the spirit of it in Heroes by making her a mage, so Lorenz easily could be a mage with Thrysus being a tome in heroes.

@Ice Dragon Was it you who stated long ago during the Greil VDay stuff about the way the Tome categories are named in Japanese? Like it being "Red Magic" instead of "Red Tome", and therefore made no reference to the physical medium through which the magic is cast, hence how that banner having Titania as "Red Tome" yet using a weapon clearly not a tome was perfectly sensible?

Because if what I think you said is true, then Jotari's inquiry would be answerable with an easy "he doesn't have to be staff, Red Tome is fine despite Thyrsus".

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

@Ice Dragon Was it you who stated long ago during the Greil VDay stuff about the way the Tome categories are named in Japanese? Like it being "Red Magic" instead of "Red Tome", and therefore made no reference to the physical medium through which the magic is cast, hence how that banner having Titania as "Red Tome" yet using a weapon clearly not a tome was perfectly sensible?

Because if what I think you said is true, then Jotari's inquiry would be answerable with an easy "he doesn't have to be staff, Red Tome is fine despite Thyrsus".

I don't know if it was me who said it, but that's correct.

The tome weapon types are all simply called "magic" in Japanese. The weapon type descriptions (when you tap on the weapon type icon) use the word 魔道 (madou), and skill effect descriptions and quest objectives use the word 魔法 (mahou), both of which translate as "magic".

On a complete side note, the weapon type description (when you tap on the weapon type icon) for staves is weird. I don't know if it does the same thing in English, but the Japanese weapon type name is "杖(攻撃時)", which means "Staff (when attacking)". I have no idea why the clarification of "when attacking" is there.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I don't know if it was me who said it, but that's correct.

The tome weapon types are all simply called "magic" in Japanese. The weapon type descriptions (when you tap on the weapon type icon) use the word 魔道 (madou), and skill effect descriptions and quest objectives use the word 魔法 (mahou), both of which translate as "magic".

On a complete side note, the weapon type description (when you tap on the weapon type icon) for staves is weird. I don't know if it does the same thing in English, but the Japanese weapon type name is "杖(攻撃時)", which means "Staff (when attacking)". I have no idea why the clarification of "when attacking" is there.

Well I imagine it's because the concept of staffs as they act in Fire Emblem are two different skills in Heroes, namely the weapon skill and the assist skill. Ie Kia Staff is a staff (when attacking) but so is the Return Staff (when using an assist).

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

ON that note I would have liked it if the unique tomes for Shadows of Valentia and Three Houses characters didn't have any sprite at all. Ie Celica when using Ragnarok isn't seen carrying a book at all. Because they don't use tomes in those games. They already do that for certain unique breath weapons that aren't actually stones like Expiration.