Which Master Class you feel needs a buff/nerf?

Barren

I have an interesting question for everyone here: Which master classes do you feel needs a change whether it's to make them better, worse, or rebalance them, etc?

The reason why is because I think some of us here tend to pick classes for those that are suited best, like War Master Felix, Wyvern Lord Petra, or Falcon Knight Ingrid. We pick these kinds of classes for them because they are all good if not great classes to end up in by late game. Whether it's because of the class bonuses, great growths or boons that makes it easy to get to, we tend to just pick them because they are just that good. Falcon Knights and Wyvern Lords especially.

Then we avoid other master classes like Mortal Savant, Great Knight and Holy Knight. These classes we consider them to be bad because of reasons like bad mastery skills, too much investment, bad growths, or in other cases way too niche to pull off. 

So what would you do to change some of these master classes or do you think they are fine the way they are? And it's okay if we all have different ideas. There's nothing wrong with feeling that a master class got the shaft and the others got it better than they should.

I may not be the best at balancing these kinds of classes but it's fun to mess around right?

I'll start with Great Knight. I think that Great Knight should be the bulkiest master class available without losing to Paladin in terms of growth and mastery. To make a quick comparison, Great Knights get a -10% speed growth like Paladin but -5% res growth. Paladin not only gets a +5% res growth but they also get growths in other areas in general. They may share a 30% HP growth and a 10% strength growth, but Paladin still wins in terms of and availability because you can make a Paladin in part 1 if you want since Advance Seals are not hard to get. Not to mention that Paladins have 8 move and Great Knights have 7. I can see that they wanted to emphasize the fact that Great Knights are meant to be physical walls on a horse, but Paladins still have better use than them since they have 8 move. Paladins also get Aegis, which can be useful in certain situations as long as your dex stat is high enough, while Defiant Defense is a waste I feel because you'll still die to magic or if the enemy's physical attack hits way too hard to begin with. Not to mention that Paladins have better stat modifiers than Great Knights except for defense.

Paladins are easy to obtain because you only need Lance and Riding Investment which is relatively easy to achieve, Great Knights have an awkward requirement of Axes, Heavy Armor and Riding. The reason it's awkward because to level up heavy armor faster, you need to be in the Armored Knight and Fortress Knight class respectively. And I know that's the last thing people want to do because of their poor move and they get wrecked by mages.

I think that for Great Knights to be good, I would personally change their growths around. Like give them a 40% HP growth that way they are on par with War Masters. I would also lower their speed penalty to -5% (same with Cavalier and Paladin actually) since they would be consistent with other riding classes. Feel free to disagree with me on this one but I do think that riding classes in general need to be better. I would also give Great Knights a 15% defense growths because they are meant to be tanks so let them be tanks. Take away the -5% res growth too since it just makes their rough spots worse. 

Finally, I would change their mastery skill to a Lance combat art, and give them Luna. Like in the previous games this would have the ability to ignore an enemy's defense allowing them to inflict more damage. Maybe give it a cost of 5 durability points perhaps. I can understand why defiant skills are in the game but aside from avoid, critical, strength and maybe magic(pending on your taste) they just feel like wasted skills. 

The only two things I am stuck on is their requirements and class abilities because I can see the dev's way of altering paths from Paladin or Fortress Knight to Great Knight because you would be working on at least some of those proficiencies. Though to take advantage of both Lancefaire and Axefaire you would have to work on them both consistently along with Riding and Heavy Armor which is why this makes the class to awkward. You work on axes for great knight let's say but you don't work on lances as much, and in the cases of Ferdinand for example, he'll probably not learn swift strikes as fast as you would normally want him to.

I think Mortal Savant is the big one here. It's the only sword-focused master class available, and it offers a -10% speed growth. No idea why they thought this was a good idea, since every single sword class before Mortal Savant all the way down to Myrmidon offers a speed boost. I feel like at least a +15% speed growth would be justifiable, then the growths would make sense.

Warding Blow also doesn't offer much for the class, as most sword-focused characters like Petra and Felix have pretty bad resistance to begin with. Ignatz or Edelgard could kind of make use of Warding Blow since their resistance is good enough where even a slight boost can make a visible difference. Regardless, offensive skills like Death Blow and Fiendish Blow are way more useful on Player Phase than defensive skills like Warding Blow or Armored Blow. It would be cool if they brought back Fates' Life or Death from Master of Arms or Strong Riposte from Mercenary as Mortal Savant's mastery instead.

Holy Knight tho ... was such a disappointment. I love the concept of the class, but it just doesn't offer much. Marianne is the designated Holy Knight of the game, but even she would benefit more from other magic classes. The growths aren't too bad, it's pretty on par with Dark Knight except that it trades strength for better luck and charm. But where Holy Knight fails is the skills it offers.

Terrain Resistance is situational at best and the class would be better off with something like double White Magic uses or Healing +10 or something. Or at least give a character a full-on, 100% offensive Faith spell list to even make use of White Tomefaire (like literally, no support magic, just straight attack spells like Abraxas/Seraphim/Aura). But seriously, how did Rodrigue make the class look so fire? LOL.

Edited by LJ_Tenma

I find mastery skills and growths are not things that matter much for Master classes. You're not likely to spend significantly more than 10 levels in them, which means that a 20% growth difference is an average gap of 2 by the end, and an average gap of 1 considering your entire time in the class. Mastery skills, similarly, there's a decent chance you won't even get, and if you do the window will be very small. I'm honestly not even convinced the Master classes should have had mastery skills at all... maybe combat arts like Hunter's Volley which don't take a slot. So... yeah, you can tinker with growths if you want, but they're not a big deal.

I think Mortal Savant is fine, with the caveat that it's a mage job (specifically one for mages who get Hexblade or Soulblade, but that's actually close to half of them!) and the game doesn't communicate that. Fighters don't really care about gaining a reason list, since Levin Sword (etc.) can sub in for most things a reason list could, without needing a second Prowess skill. Now, fighters often DO care about getting a faith list, but if they just want Faith then the B+ reason req just adds to the expense of the build. Maybe of the skill ranks were more like A sword, C+ reason, C+ faith would make it a bit more appealing for physical units who get Physic, though even then it'd be underused for physical units because... well, physical units don't want to use swords. The question of sword balance is for a separate thread, though.

Holy Knight is indeed bad because emphasizing damaging white magic is a niche nobody actually cares about. Emphasizing healing or white magic uses is all you need to fix it (probably not both, so Bishop maintains a use). Great Knight needs to ease up on its requirements a bit (why is it clearly harder to certify for than any other job?), and a bit more defence wouldn't hurt, yeah.

I wouldn't nerf too many classes, but the big one is of course Wyvern Lord. It's too fast IMO. Make it the slow but strong flier: remove Avo+10, drop its speed mod. Falcon Knight should be the choice for a speedy, dodgy flier. I also think Wyvern Rider should have some niche over Wyvern Lord, since Advanced classes otherwise typically have some niche over their Master "upgrades", though I'm not sure what that would be. You could maybe swap Wyvern Rider and Wyvern Lord's move stats (and maybe buff Wyvern Lord's Str/Def a bit further to compensate).

Mortal Savant mostly just needs a higher speed base to make it worth choosing over Gremory for females and not screw over males.

GK: Haven't actually played Maddening with GK but I imagine the defense is not high enough to tank properly

Wyvern Lord/Falcon Knight: Avo+10 and Alert Stance is busted af. This one absolutely should have gone to one of the foot classes. Nerfing move by 1 would give a strategic reason to pick Paladin over the fliers.

Holy Knight: Why does this class even exist? At least give it Lancefaire so that physical units with good spell lists (looking at you, Bernadetta) are justified in choosing Holy Knight.

War Master & Gremory are probably the most balanced Master classes.

I would have loved to see Assassin and Hero as 6-move Master classes with both Bowfaire/Swordfaire and Swordfaire/Axefaire, and for Hero to not be gender-locked.

Wyvern Lord is the only one that may need a nerf, and I like the ideas the Dark Holy Elf had.

The only other good master classes are Bow Knight, Dark Knight, and Gremory. I do think Bow Knight and Gremory are balanced with advanced classes, with only a slight advantage for the master classes (Bow Knight having a mount and Gremory having both Reason and Faith tomefaire).

Mortal Savant is the big one that needs a buff. While it is interesting, the only characters that can go into it well are mage characters, specifically Dorothea, Marianne, Lysithea, Yuri, and Constance. They need to get rid of the spd decrease, for starters. That alone would make the class more viable. I also think aesthetically-wise it doesn't fit in with the rest of the game. It's a cool outfit, but it doesn't really go with Fodlan. I would've gone with an updated version of Jugdral's Mage Fighter/War Mage class.

44 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Holy Knight is indeed bad because emphasizing damaging white magic is a niche nobody actually cares about. Emphasizing healing or white magic uses is all you need to fix it (probably not both, so Bishop maintains a use).

The problem with Holy Knight is that there's no character designed to fulfill the niche it wants to fill. For a class all about offensive Faith Magic, no character can really capitalize it because they either

a)have crappy MAG

b)their faith spell list is more focused on healing 

c)they have better things to do and their spell list isn't tempting enough to dive into this class.

Had there been a student whose spell list looked like this:

D - Heal

D+ - Nosferatu

C - Seraphim

B - Silence

A - Aura or Abraxas

then Holy Knight might actually be a good class for them. Unfortunately, no student has a completely offensive Faith spell list. It seems like they wanted Marianne to fulfill this role, but what's the point when she will be better off as a Bishop, Gremory, Dark Knight, Dark Flier, or Valkyrie.

18 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Had there been a student whose spell list looked like this:

D - Heal

D+ - Nosferatu

C - Seraphim

B - Silence

A - Aura or Abraxas

then Holy Knight might actually be a good class for them. Unfortunately, no student has a completely offensive Faith spell list. It seems like they wanted Marianne to fulfill this role, but what's the point when she will be better off as a Bishop, Gremory, Dark Knight, Dark Flier, or Valkyrie.

Well... bear in mind that the spell list you just came up with already exists (if you swap Silence for Warp, moot for White Tomefaire) on Lysithea, and she never even considers Holy Knight anyway. Damaging white spells just aren't that good (Aura/Abraxas don't look very good beside Ragnarok/Agnea/Hades, for instance). That's actually okay, since trying faith gives you utility, so reason spells should be better at the attack magic niche, but it means that a class designed to buff an intentionally underwhelming part of faith (as opposed to the actual useful parts of faith) was doomed.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Holy Knight is indeed bad because emphasizing damaging white magic is a niche nobody actually cares about. Emphasizing healing or white magic uses is all you need to fix it (probably not both, so Bishop maintains a use).

I think that White Magic Uses x2 (replacing Terrain Resistance) would be the better choice here by far. To start with, it actually improves the intended niche for the class. Offensive white magic has a lot of problems, but low uses is one of them. This wouldn't make the build good but it would go some way to making it less bad. On top of that, having doubled uses would make Holy Knight the best choice for a dedicated Warp or Rescue user. Being able to combine doubled uses with the extra mobility and canto from a mounted class would be great, and would be a legitimate argument to use the class. Finally, I just don't see that Heal +10 would make the class a compelling choice for anyone. Given the importance and high range of Physic in Three Houses,  extra mobility just isn't that important for a healer here. It's nicer to have it than not, of course, but it's not that big a deal. For a healer, given the choice, I'd pretty much always want to take doubled uses of Physic and/or Fortify over mounted mobility.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Well... bear in mind that the spell list you just came up with already exists (if you swap Silence for Warp, moot for White Tomefaire) on Lysithea, and she never even considers Holy Knight anyway. Damaging white spells just aren't that good (Aura/Abraxas don't look very good beside Ragnarok/Agnea/Hades, for instance). That's actually okay, since trying faith gives you utility, so reason spells should be better at the attack magic niche, but it means that a class designed to buff an intentionally underwhelming part of faith (as opposed to the actual useful parts of faith) was doomed.

Yes, but I believe Warp is a good enough utility to spell make Lysithea into a Bishop instead. Meanwhile Silence is good, but more situational and not vital to LTC strats in a way that Warp is. Lysithea would fit into the c category I mentioned; she simply has better things to do. Plus, there's so many other magic classes better suited to Lysithea's strengths. I do agree with you on faith offensive spells not being great. And I also agree on them not needing to be great either, but Seraphim being the only worthwhile offensive Faith spell makes Holy Knight a weak class from the start.

Also, not a fan of the holy knight armor. It looks really clunky and I feel bad for the horse.

I did try Holy Knight!Lysithea in my first ever run of Three Houses and overall it felt like a downgrade to bishop. The white tomefaire was only useful when facing off the beasts in the last couple of chapters. The class was great for those particular instances, but Lysithea's the kind of character where she's always OP magic-wise, and I wished I made her something different to emphasize her Reason spell list. Live and learn I guess.

Where do I begin?

Honestly there's a lot of reworking I'd do with the class requirements so I'm not touching that as part of this. For now I'm not going to add new skills, though CAs would be another story. I'd also like to put the Seals elsewhere, so I'll leave the Hero and WR masteries below too. Defiants also should be reworked to feel like they're more useable imo, but here I'm not throwing them out.

MS: Growths change to 15% Mag, 15% Spd, there's no reason it should have -Spd. Add Dark Tomefaire as a class ability. Mastery is changed to Defiant Crit.

WL: Mastery changed to Defiant Str.

GK: Growths add +5% to Spd, Def and Res, Dismounted move changed to 5, Obviously certification needs changing but that applies for more than a few to be honest.

HK: I'll agree on Terrain Resistance being replaced with White Mag uses *2, growths add +5% Mag and Spd.

DK: Mastery changed to Warding Blow, +5% Mag and Spd growth, for all the mounted classes above +1 Mov because having one less than Paladin seems a bit weird to me.

BK: Growths add +15% to Spd, 10% to Str, Dex.

Gremory: +5% Spd growth.

Emperor: Giving it magic access would give it a niche I feel it deserved. Add Mov +1 as a class ability.

Great Lord: Part of me wants to make this a mounted class, but ignoring that I'd add Heartseeker as an innate ability.

EO: Add Fistfaire to class abilities.

Hero: Mastery is now Sol, 6 Mt, 20 Hit, 4 Dur, Heals for half of total damage.

WR: Mastery is now +10 Avoid.

Edited by Dayni

33 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Add Mov +1 as a class ability.

So it's just a 6-move class?

Changing growth rates isn't going to help rebalancing anything. Your characters have like, 10-15 levels at most in the class? A 5% growth isn't even a stat point at that rate.

2 minutes ago, Agro said:

So it's just a 6-move class?

Changing growth rates isn't going to help rebalancing anything. Your characters have like, 10-15 levels at most in the class? A 5% growth isn't even a stat point at that rate.

I'll admit I remembered it as 4 move, more fool me. I was also unsure what to add to it as an innate besides, so I'll cross that out.

I will agree that minor changes aren't going to be significant, however I'm wary of throwing large growth changes on it without taking things from the start.

9 hours ago, lenticular said:

I think that White Magic Uses x2 (replacing Terrain Resistance) would be the better choice here by far. To start with, it actually improves the intended niche for the class. Offensive white magic has a lot of problems, but low uses is one of them. This wouldn't make the build good but it would go some way to making it less bad. On top of that, having doubled uses would make Holy Knight the best choice for a dedicated Warp or Rescue user. Being able to combine doubled uses with the extra mobility and canto from a mounted class would be great, and would be a legitimate argument to use the class. Finally, I just don't see that Heal +10 would make the class a compelling choice for anyone. Given the importance and high range of Physic in Three Houses,  extra mobility just isn't that important for a healer here. It's nicer to have it than not, of course, but it's not that big a deal. For a healer, given the choice, I'd pretty much always want to take doubled uses of Physic and/or Fortify over mounted mobility.

Yeah, I think this is right on the money. In particular, Nosferatu (the most interesting white magic attack spell, and the one which benefits most from White Tomefaire due to the lowest base power) really wants more uses if you want to make it the core of a character's build, particularly for someone like Byleth or Dorothea using White Magic Avoid (granted, neither character loves training Riding, but oh well). White Magic Uses x2 would, as you say, allow Holy Knight to be better at its niche, while not having Heal+10 would mean Bishop still looks good for someone really wanting to emphasize Fortify/Physic.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

2 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah, I think this is right on the money. In particular, Nosferatu (the most interesting white magic attack spell, and the one which benefits most from White Tomefaire due to the lowest base power) really wants more uses if you want to make it the core of a character's build, particularly for someone like Byleth or Dorothea using White Magic Avoid (granted, neither character loves training Riding, but oh well). White Magic Uses x2 would, as you say, allow Holy Knight to be better at its niche, while not having Heal+10 would mean Bishop still looks good for someone really wanting to emphasize Warp/Physic.

That I completely agree with. Holy Knight just feels like wasted potential in it’s current state. Marianne for sure would have loved to make full use of it, especially since the boons for her suggests that she’d make the best candidate.

And not just her, other characters like Byleth and Dorothea which @Dark Holy Elf pointed out can make use of it since they both have white magic avoid +20. Bernadetta, Lysithea, Ingrid and even Sylvain are other choices since three of the four candidates has Seraphim and/or Physic respectively. Bernie has Rescue which gives her a unique support role in addition to Vengeance. Lysithea has warp and would be an ideal choice on Silver Snow since there are lots of monsters. I can go on but everyone gets the idea.

Lord Classes
  • Add Charm as Class Ability of Enlightened One. To match up with the others Lords's classes, and offer Byleth more utility since they are limited to close range healing.
  • Add Commander as Mastery Ability of Enlightened One, Emperor, Great Lord and Barbarossa. A bit too strong of a skill, but aside from anti-staggering it's not to useful on player's hands, and IS did gave a playable Commander during Cindered Shadows.
  • Add Miracle Slash as Mastery Art of Enlightened One. A combat art to match the other Lords, and a bit of self recovery since they're likely to be one of the frontline unit.
Dur Cost
Mt
Hit
Avoid
Crit
Range
+5
+10
+10

The attacking unit recovers HP equal to 50% of damage dealt. Mt increases based on unit's Mag. Exclusive to the Enlightened One class.
  • Swap Emperor offensive growths (10=>5%) with his defensive ones (5=>10%). Not an impactful change, but it make no sense that a class supposed to be tanky first, has better offensive than defensive growths, especially for Magic one who is useless for the most part.
  • Emperor's HP (8=>4), Resistance (0=>4). Allow her to mix tank.

Dancer

• Add Charm and Rally Charm as Class Abilities.
  • Add Rally Heart (Use Rally to grant Str, Mag, Spd, Def and Res +2, Dex, Luck, Charm +4 and Movement +1 to an ally) as Mastery Ability. Give the class a bit more utility rather than just Dancing.
Mortal Savant
  • Add Dark Tomefaire as Class Ability. No reason why it shouldn't have the skill, especially since 2 of the better candidates for this class use Dark Magic.
  • Add an hybrid mastery to it, some eg: Hexblade (When using a Sword, unit calculates damage using the lower of the foe's Prt or Rsl. If attack target Prt, Mt increases based on unit's Mag), Aggressor (If unit initiates combat, grants Atk +6 during combat) or Ignis. Overall, while Mortal Savant is usable it fail at being an hybrid class in the hands of players, those changes doesn't fix those issues but it at least alienate them a bit.
Dur Cost
Mt
Hit
Avoid
Crit
Range
+4
+20

Calculates damage using the lower of the foe's Prt or Rsl. Mt increases based on unit's other offensive stat.
  • Up Strength and Magic modifiers to (1=>2) and (2=>3) respectively. Reduce Defense and Resistance modifiers to (2=>1). Same reasonment than with Emperor but reversed, a class that is supposed to be dealing damage above all else shouldn't have better defense than offense.
Dark Knight
  • Replace Seal Resistance by Transmute as the Mastery Ability. A seal by that point of the game is beyond useless, and Transmute being DLC and female locked hurt male mage quite a bit.
  • Raise Magic modifier to (2=>4), reduce Defense and Resistance modifiers to (2 (1)=>1 (0)) and (3=>2) respectively. Ditto with Mortal Savant.
Holy Knight
  • Reduce Strength and Dexterity modifiers to (1 and 2=>0). Up Magic modifier to (1=>4) and Magic base to (15=>16). The class stats are all over the place which doesn't help make the class useful, especially since it barely help the niche the class supposely have. At least now, the class's role is clear.
  • Changing Terrain Resistance for White Magic Uses x2 would also be a necessary buff for the class, but it's a skill that has no reason not being there lore-wise despite how useless it is.
  • Replace Defiant Resistance by Slayer (Make all attacks effective against Monsters) as Mastery Ability. The class main problem is that it occupy a niche that no one but Lysithea fill. With those changes it would still suck, but at least it would have another niche as Monster killers.
Bow Knight
  • Add Parting Shot as Mastery Art.
Dur Cost
Might
Hit
Avoid
Crit
Range
+5
+10

4~5
If attack lands for real this time, unit can move again without acting. Exclusive to the Bow Knight class. I find the Bow Knight class lacking except on PBV users, and ball of offensive stats like Felix; this Combat Art who help the class succeed better as long range attacker.

Great Knight
  • Change requirements for B+ in Axe OR Lance. Awkward certification requirement is Great Knight greatest weakness, specially for the 2 main candidate who would rather focus on their lance skill rather than waste EXP on Axe that they won't use. It would also broaden the possibility a bit more for other lancers.
Nerfs for Wyvern Lord, even if i don't think it's as OP as everyone seems to think.
Wyvern Lord
  • Reduce Speed growth and modifiers to (4 (2) and 10%=>0). Wyvern have more or less always been on the "strong but slow" side, don't know why they changed this especially in contrast with Pegasus, which you have no reason to pick unless you really want that Lancefaire, which only translate to a +2 in damage anyway.
  • Increase HP modifier to (2=>5) and Defense modifier to (3=>4). Help the class fit the role of flying physical tank better.
  • Grants weakness to Magic. The class is supposed to be weak to Magic, no reason not to make it true in gameplay, especially since they can get rid of their weakness by dismounting.
Edited by Soroen

14 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I find mastery skills and growths are not things that matter much for Master classes. You're not likely to spend significantly more than 10 levels in them, which means that a 20% growth difference is an average gap of 2 by the end, and an average gap of 1 considering your entire time in the class. Mastery skills, similarly, there's a decent chance you won't even get, and if you do the window will be very small. I'm honestly not even convinced the Master classes should have had mastery skills at all... maybe combat arts like Hunter's Volley which don't take a slot. So... yeah, you can tinker with growths if you want, but they're not a big deal.

Seconded. Master-tier Mastery skills feel like they're moreso something to pick back up on NG+. What's more important to Master classes are innate skills and base modifiers.

Anyway, here are the classes I would change:

Wyvern Lord

Spoiler

The class now loses Avoid +10. The Speed modifier is now reduced, from 4/2 (mounted/dismounted) to 0/-2.

Falcon Knight

Spoiler

The class now loses Avoid +10. The Speed modifier is also reduced, from 5/3 to 2/0.

Mortal Savant

Spoiler

The class gains Avoid +10. The Dexterity and Speed modifiers are increased, from 1 to 3.

Great Knight

Spoiler

The class certification requirements are now B Riding, B Armor, and B+ Lance/Axe (that is, either/or). Move increases from 7/4 to 7/5.

War Master

Spoiler

The class no longer gets War Master's Strike.

Dark Knight

Spoiler

Mobility is now reduced, from 7/6 to 7/5.

Holy Knight

Spoiler

White Tomefaire is exchanged for Healing +10. Mobility is also increased, from 7/6 to 8/6.

Gremory

Spoiler

No change.

Bow Knight

Spoiler

Mobility is reduced, to 7/5.

Moreover, I would make some changes to Advanced classes, as follows:

Wyvern Rider

Spoiler

The Speed modifier is reduced, from 3/1 to -1/-3.

Warrior

Spoiler

Class Mastery now gives "Warrior's Strike", a combat art which is identical to the now-removed "War Master's Strike", in addition to Wrath. Move is increased, from 5 to 6.

Sniper

Spoiler

Bowrange +1 is boosted, to Bowrange +2.

Swordmaster

Spoiler

Dexterity modifier now increased, from 1 to 3. Move is increased, from 5 to 6.

Hero

Spoiler

Defense modifier now increased, from 1 to 3. Move is increased, from 5 to 6.

There are more I could propose, but I think that's enough for now.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Already made a handful of changes.

Ditching Terrain Resistance for something, anything for Holy Knight would definitely help.  Even Lancefaire for some sort of off-build for cavaliers that want to also heal on off-turns (some weird Flayn build perhaps?!).  I will say that variety is the spice of life, so having a class that at least attempted to make offensive white magic interesting was reasonable.  Just needed "more" - whether system changes buffing offensive Faith magic in general, or a really broken mastery skill, or getting some cheaty skill that was really 2 or 3 skills at once (e.g. Ultimate White Magic, +10 healing / +5 damage on White Magic / +1 spell charge for all spells).

Also, this is true of Reason lists too, but IntSys was a little too dedicated to making "balanced" spells rather than a linear progression of just better spells to reward skill-building, and it shows most harshly in Faith.  Of all the spells in need of buffs, Aura and Abraxas need them the most - more uses, more accuracy, less weight, anything.  In the realm where those two (or some custom Byleth only Faith spell, say) are better, than maybe talk to me about Holy Knight.  Also, to be sure, Holy Knight still isn't BAD; just worse than Dark Knight.