Rate each game in the series you have played out of 10

The Moon Mage

*Apologies to anyone who has already done something like this BTW.*

Any way's since I am new I would like to know your general thought's on each game in the series. 

For me it would be something like this

FE1: 5/10

FE2: 3/10

FE3: 10/10 Human perfection 

FE4: 4/10

FE5: 8/10

FE6: 9/10

FE7: 7/10

FE8: 8/10

FE9: 4/10

FE10: 9/10

FE11: 8/10

FE12: 6/10

FE13: 7/10

Conquest: 8/10

Birthright: 6/10

Revelation's: 4/10

Echoes: 3/10

Three Houses:5/10 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see... (*Asterisk means that I finished it)

FE4: 2.5/10. Sorry Genealogy fans, but I didn't really dig it much at all. It had some really neat ideas, but the map design was really bad in my opinion.

FE5: 7.5/10. Really, really cool ideas that are hampered by ambush spawns and the like.

FE6*: 9/10. I loved this one. Ambush spawns were a problem, but far from the worst Ambushes I've seen in the series.

FE7*: 3/10. Didn't like this game very much at all. Map design was overall bad, and the story was really weak. In my opinion. There's a whole lot I could list about things I dislike, but instead I'll mention that there were some fun maps.

FE8*: 7/10. My first FE! I love this one a lot. Even if it's a little too easy for me now, it's got a lot of stuff I love.

FE9: 0/10. ...I'll not start with my complaints for this.

FE10*: 8.90/10. Aside from part 3, probably my favorite FE. Unfortunately, part 3 is really long. Still, fantastic game. Great story, music and cast.

FE11: 9/10. Reclassing is hilarious, and I love having all the difficulty choices. And I enjoy the maps too.

FE13: 6/10. Haven't gone very far yet, but it's been real good.

Birthright: 8/10. Way better than I expected! Solid maps, fun units, fantastic combat system. If I were to give someone a starting point for FE, it'd probably be this one.

FE15: 6.5/10. Great music and presentation, cool mechanics. Map design is plain, but it does showcase the things it does right well, in my opinion.

FE16: 2/10. Too many negatives to list for this one, but I'll complement the bold decision to try something completely new.

Berwick Saga: 10/10. Simply fantastic in nearly every way. There are some aspects I dislike, but everything else is so unbelievably good that it doesn't matter to me at all.

Yakuza 0: 11/10, the pinnacle of human achievement.

FE1: 5/10

FE3: 8.5/10

FE4: 6.5/10

FE5: 4/10

FE6: 4/10

FE7: 7.5/10

FE8: 8.5/10

FE9: 9/10

FE10: 10/10

FE11: 8/10

FE12: 8/10

FE13: 8.5/10

FE14 BR: 8/10

FE14 RV: 6.5/10

FE14 CQ: Nohrian Scum/10

FE15: 7/10

FE16: 9.25/10

Edited by twilitfalchion

FE4: 5/10  - Too long maps for my taste, wasn't able to finish it.

FE6: 8/10  - One of the best FE has to offer imo, I liked how much harder it was compared to the GBA FEs.

FE7: 7/10  - Gets bonus points for being my first FE, do not have anything better to say about it unfortunately. Black Fang were the only interesting thing it had.

FE8: 8.5/10  - My favorite FE character wise. Gameplay was easy but still enjoyable.

FE9: 7/10  - Slow gameplay aside, I like everything about this game.

FE10: 8.5/10  - Unfortunately never managed to finish it because of some problems, but it managed to improve everything I liked about FE9.

FE11: 7.5/10  - Pretty fun gameplay wise, wasn't a fan of gaiden requirements since I like to recruit everyone.

FE12: 8.5/10  - One of the best map designs and gameplay in FE. Character aside, I liked the avatar system as well.

FE13: 7/10  - Haven't finished but liked it so far.

Birthright: 8/10  - Haven't finished but I liked it much more than expected.

FE15: 7.5/10  - Maps were too short but still liked the gameplay.

Tear Ring Saga: 9/10  - Unfortunately for FE, I can't really give any of their games a similar or higher score than TRS.

Berwick Saga: 10/10  - Perfect in almost every way, some things I didn't like as much but the good overshadows them completely.

I'll only rate those that have officially been released outside of Japan.

FE1: 7/10 - A dated game, for sure, but I was honestly somewhat impressed with how well it actually held up. Granted, the official western release came with modernization such as turn rewinding, but still, even without those features, I was happy with it.

FE7: 10/10 - One of the only games I'd give a perfect score. I adore this game in pretty much every aspect, even with some flaws I've seen some people point out (mostly with the story/lore). I just love it. The characters are some of the best in any game I've played, I really love the feel of the gameplay, and the story is overall really good.

FE8: 9.75/10 - Very close to the incredibly high mark of 7, I love 8 almost as much. The story is a little less consistent for me, but I adore the cast of characters, and the two branching paths and branching promotions in gameplay are great. The world map is pretty cool, too.

FE9: 9.5/10 - Another really strong entry. The only flaws I give this one is the sluggish/stiff attack animations, a feeling of a sort of...open-endedness in the story, and the story doesn't quite hit that really high bar as 7 does for me, personally.

FE10: 8.25/10 - And this is where you see why I'm iffy on the open-ended feeling of 9. The story in 10 is just...I dunno, it bites off WAY more than it can chew and it really shows. And many characters get basically no characterization. The game is also a bit too uneven in its difficulty than I'd like, by a pretty significant margin. But, despite its flaws, it is still a good game.

FE11: 8.5/10 - This is really just an upgraded version of 1 and honestly, that's okay! I'd have loved it if they'd given each character support conversations, but the dialogue that IS added to the game is really good. I think Marth and Nyna in particular are written fantastically. The gameplay is very easy to just dive into, which is a good thing. Don't like the attack animations, though, and kinda wish the story itself was maybe a teeny bit more in-depth.

FE13: 9.5/10 - The story is a mess in some spots and some of the characters are not good, but this game in an overall sense is really dang good. It's really fun to play, the characters that are good (which is most of the cast, just not all) are very good, and the soundtrack is amazing. I just wish they hadn't bungled up the already-established lore of 1/3/11/12.

FE14 (Birthright/Conquest/Revelation): 8.5/10 - The story in all three routes is an absolute mess (although Revelation has the best, most complete story, in my opinion) and I'm not at all fond of several of the playable characters (Peri is the worst playable character in the series holy crap), but these games still manage to be good games to simply play, ignoring the bad story and bad characters. And don't get me wrong, there's a large number of good characters here! It's just that the bad characters are, unfortunately, more numerous than in any other FE game. At least it has a more balanced difficulty than 10, which is why I rank it just slightly higher.

FE15: 9/10 - The voice acting really propels these characters. The music is AMAZING. The main gameplay is fun enough. I actually kinda like most of the dungeons. The "visual novel" feeling fits this game really well. Overall, a very solid game.

FE16: 9.25/10 - Ya know, the jury is still partially out on this one, but I do know that I like it a pretty fair bit. The things that give me pause, though, are the large number of reused maps, the unfinished story in Edelgard's route, the repetitiveness of the monastery tasks, and a couple spots seeming like they weren't finished (?). It's a bunch of small things that start to add up. The overall quality of the game is high, for sure, but I'm unsure if I'd give it a rank any higher or lower than that.

FE4 ---> 8.5/10, from music, writing and gameplay, everything is almost perfect. Literally taking half a score off because you can't save/recruit Eldigan and Arion.

FE5 ---> 9/10, same as FE4, but the gameplay is on another whole level. It's one of the few FE games that force players to think outside of the box.

FE6 ---> 7/10, one of the two best FE for ironmanning. Too bad it's not that innovative or have anything special about it.

FE7 ---> 6/10, same as Binding Blade, but worse due to being less challenging in general. The only challenge in this game is HHM.

FE8 ---> 6/10, having one of the most badass lord is the strong point of Sacred Stones. While it does introduce new classes and branching promotion, I don't really like branching promotions. It's also too easy.

FE9 ---> 7.5/10, the best starting point in FE franchise. Shove is a good mechanic and so is biorhythm.

FE10 ---> 9.5/10, this is probably the best FE in term of gameplay. Ledge is good, Dawn Brigade is challenging, Elincia's Gambit is the best defense map in FE history. Endgame is spectacular.

FE11 ---> 8/10, H5 gang rise up! Everything good about this game is brought down by the stupid looking animations that looked like classic MK sprites from the 90s. This is the other best FE for ironmanning.

FE12 ---> 8.5/10, Kris is not a bad character or unit, change my mind. Also, this is the game that introduced bullcrap difficulties some of us loved to death. Same as Shadow Dragon, everything good about this game (gameplay, map design, music, character) is brought down by the stupid looking animations.

FE13 ---> 8/10, Pair Up is broken as heck. The game throws back a lot to older FE characters and lores, basically is kinda FEH-ish before FEH was a thing.

FE14 ---> 9/10, that score is for Conquest for being the hall of famers in term of gameplay and map design. Characters are likeable, they're simply stuck in a bad plot. As for Birthright, it gets 5.5/10 for being one of the most braindead game aka too easy. Revelation? 3/10 for being too gimmicky and bad in every single aspect.

FE15 ---> 7.5/10, the presentation is the best in the franchise (voice actings, musics, arts) and gameplay so-so. If it weren't for those, Echoes would be around 4.5/10 due to its nonexistent map design.

FE16 ---> 2.5/10, the game gives too much advantage for the player, resulting in almost no challenge at all (farming speed carrots, battalion, Alert Stance, unique support, etc) even in Maddening Mode, which is the weakest high difficulty mode in the franchise currently. Plot is so-so, characters are mostly bland and music is the only shining thing about 3H.

FEH ---> 8/10, say whatever you want, it's one of the most F2P-friendly gachas out there. Tactics drill is fun, attempting weird builds is fun as well. Too bad Judgral representation is lacking in FEH.

Berwick Saga ---> 10/10, now this, is the perfect Fire Emblem game (yes, it's actually Kaga Saga). Sure, it has FoW + ballista combo, but hey, you have Dean. Music is also pretty good despite not having the same amount of budget as mainline FE games. I'd take half a score off for the invention of CAVALRY CHARGE, but hey, it's a good threat in game.

Vestaria Saga ---> 9.5/10, the game that made me want to develop my own "FE" game using SRPGS. There are so many things you'll miss on your first playthrough if you go blind and that's what makes it perfect for multiple runs. Units are all useful and contributing even if you benched them as soon as early game.

TMS♯FE ---> 8.5/10, it's fun, campy and colorful. Musics are fantastic as well. Too bad it's too short and will probably not getting any mention or sequel in the future. PS don't play this on other difficulty setting other than the highest available one, you'll thank me later.

Warriors ---> 8/10, it's fun, but once you're out of side story quest to play, it's just there to gather dust in your collections till you miss it and play it again.

Edited by GodSejeong97

55 minutes ago, GodSejeong97 said:

TMS♯FE  PS don't play this on other difficulty setting other than the highest available one, you'll thank me later.

May I ask, why?

I just have finished this game recently, and I found it pretty rough on easy already. And I'm sorta experienced in Shin Megami Tensei. If the reason is the same as in Persona 5 Royal, then I'd would understand.

FE1: didn't finish

FE2: didn't finish

FE3: 8/10

FE4: 9/10

FE5: 9/10

FE6: 9/10

FE7: 7/10

FE8: 8/10

FE9: 8/10

FE10: didn't finish, I need to get on that

FE11: 7/10

FE12: 7/10

FE13: 6/10

FE14 Birthright: didn't finish, 2/10

FE14 Conquest: 4/10

FE14 Revelation: not interested

FE15: 8/10

FE16: didn't finish but 8/10 so far

TMS: not interested

FEW: not interested

FEH: 5/10

I will note that I started by using a 5 star system (with the potential for half stars) and converted it, as I was noticing that I kept falling into the classic pitfall that most Out of 10 systems do, where 7 is for an Average game, making the 7-10 scores less distinct (and thus less useful), and the 1-6 scores too wide for their actual occupancy (hence wasting the space that could be used to add that level of distinction to the 7-10 section). This issue crops up a lot in Game Reviews (and discussions about game reviews) and I think stems from the US school system's 70% is a passing grade mentality...admittedly I ended with a lot of 10s, but each is the best at what they do (and this may be an issue with the mentality behind 5 star systems creeping in...)

FE4 -  10/10 - One of the best of the Fire Emblem stories (only FE5 can compare), that uses the medium of game to tell that story well, with a pace that gets me to think beyond tactics , and into strategy in its maps.

FE5 - 10/10 - One of the best of the Fire Emblem stories (only FE4 can compare), that uses the medium of game to tell that story well, with bold gameplay decisions that make for an interesting and fun experience to play.

FE6 - 8/10 - One of the better gameplay experiences, especially to ironman, although its plot is fairly generic...

FE7 - 6/10 - Some issues in the gameplay department, but its excellent synergy between visual and writing story elements led to a very compelling cast of main characters.

FE8 - 1/10 - Incredibly dull from both a gameplay, and story viewpoint.

FE9 - 7/10 - One of the better stories, although its gameplay is fairly mediocre.

FE10 - 5/10 - It has a lot of issues, but it experimented with so much, with such interesting results in both the gameplay and story department, which keep it here in the middle sections.

FE11- 3/10 - It has a LOT of issues, but it has enough interesting challenge run potential, that it earned a few points back.

FE12 - 9/10 - An excellent gameplay experience, which carries most of this score. It has some notable story flaws, although its hard not to look at it as a vast improvement over the last game...

FE13 - 2.5*/10 - This is a bit of a tentative score, as I feel like it could easily slide .5 a point up or down depending on how I feel after I finish the screen shot LP I am doing of this game...speaking of which I need to finish writing the next update of that...

FE14B - 2/10 - While it has a good mechanical foundation, its hard not to feel it squandered that with how dull its gameplay feels, and an equally dull story.

FE14C - 10/10 - The best the gameplay has ever been (what story?)

FE14R - 3/10 - It has a LOT of issues, but it has so much goofy challenge run potential, that it earned a few points back.

FE 15 - 6/10 - It has lovingly recaptured and polished the feel and essence of gaiden, although that ancient gem was an ambitiously experimental mess (with mixed results akin to FE10), which this game happily embraces.

FE 16 - 2.5*/10 - This is a tentative score, as I acknowledge that I got burned out playing through all the routes of this game, and it is still impacting how I view it...I might come back to this is I ever feel like replaying one of the routes...someday...

FE Warriors 1/10 - Mind numbing is the only way I can describe this game...

TMS # FE - 7/10 - It feels odd to include this in a list of Fire Emblem, or SMT games as it feels like neither, but it is an interesting experience, that makes you feel like you are playing a Magical Girl Anime...

FEH - 5/10 - It captures the essence of Fire Emblem in mobile gaming form. Unfortunately the modern conventions of mobile games are a venomous and predatory pit of festering fetid poison, which keeps it from a higher score...

let's see

FE2 - 6.5/10: mainly liked it for how different it is from FE1 (which i haven't listed since i haven't finished it yet)

FE4 - 9.5/10: one of my FE Holy Trinity games, doesn't get 10/10 only because backtracking is quite boring sometimes

FE6 - 6.5not amazing nor terrible, just above average

FE7 - 7.25: liked it better than FE6, most likely due to nostalgia, being it the very first FE i've ever played

FE8 - 6.5: nice characters, but not enough to make me forget how easy it is

FE9 and 10 - 10: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are IMO the best FE game (yes, singular) in the whole series, i think every aspect of them is incredible and i never really managed to empathize with those who despise Micaiah, the Blood Pact and other story elements
yes, PoR is quite easy, but it's not even comparable to Awakening, 3H and the likes

FE11 - 7.5: not exactly incredible, i agree, but Shadow Dragon, being A "simple" game with a "simple" story, was exactly what i needed when i played it

FE13 - 3.5: so easy the game basically plays itself, the story is really nothing special and not even well written imo, Awakening gets 3.5 only for its OST and some of its characters (mainly Libra)

FE14 Birthright - 3: literally Awakening, except its story is a what-if, also Corrin

FE14 Conquest - 4: gets one point purely for ist map design, which is terribly gimmicky, but at least they put some degree of thought into it

FE14 Revelation - 2: true story path which is a DLC of an already gravely insufficient game, gimmick maps reach its peak, same writing quality of a terrible fanfiction

FE15 - 8: like a lot basically every aspect of the game, and love how faithful it is to the original Gaiden: although this might be a huge con for many, it isn't for me

FE16 - 6: very ambitious game, maybe way too ambitious, which resulted in a tremendously butchered storytelling; characters and OST are cool, but they can't make up for the many flaws this game has; last but not least, it's almost as easy and exploitable as Awakening, to the point it makes you think you're playing a musou, which is ironic considering Koei Tecmo developed it
gets a 6/10 only because it's somewhat fun to play, and because it's an step in the right direction for non-remake FE games after Fates

Edited by Yexin

Sacred Stones: 3/10. Definitely my least favourite Fire Emblem that I've played. The characters didn't work for me at all, the storyline mostly bored me, and the gameplay was both easy and simple. Just nothing here at all to make me want to come back to it.

Path of Radiance: 8/10. Some of this is nostalgia speaking since this was my first Fire Emblem, but it's still one of my favourites. The characters, worldbuilding and story are good, and while it's a fairly easy game, there are enough different mechanics (eg skills, bexp, laguz) to keep it engaging.

Radiant Dawn: 7/10. The constant switching between armies, with changing POV characters is an interesting idea, but didn't really work for me in the end and ultimately made the game feel a bit too disjointed. I still love the characters and the world, but the story isn't as strong as Path of Radiance, and the lack of proper support conversations also brings it down.

Shadow Dragon (DS): 5/10. A very bare-bones game both in terms of writing and mechanics, which is both a positive and a negative. At it's best, this is elegant in its simplicity; at its worst, it's bland and uninspired. Overall, is just a very middling game.

Awakening: 6/10. This is a hot mess in pretty much every way, and I'd find it far easier to list things it did wrong than things it got right... and yet, I had a whole lot of fun when I played it and that's enough to make me forgive a lot of its sins.

Fates: 4/10. (I only picked this one up recently and have so far only completed Birthright and played the first few chapters of Conquest. This is why I'm scoring Fates as a whole, and also means that this score is very subject to change.) There are a lot of cool and interesting gameplay ideas going on here, but they end up making the game feel a bit too mechanically busy. Ultimately, the gameplay is decent but the game as a whole is brought way down by the absolutely rancid writing.

Three Houses: 9/10. My personal favourite, though I do see why a lot of people dislike it. Personally, I love it for the characters and the worldbuilding, and I also find that the sandboxy feel of the game suits my tastes and proclivities, with Divine Pulse encouraging play and experimentation.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE: 6/10. This one is difficult to rate, but apparntely 6/10 is the score that I give to hot messes that I had a lot of fun with anyway.

FE1 - Outdated/10. A good game for its time no doubt but too slow to play rn imo. I have never finished because I just find it hard to play

FE2 - 5/10. Suffers from what FE1 does however I actually played twice (before SoV was a thing and after SoV was announced) and enjoyed it because of its different mechanics from other FE games, tho its age drags it down.

FE3 - 8/10. A great game, if you are looking for vanilla FE, this is it. I really wish this was what got re released over FE1.

FE4 - 4/10. The story is great and I like the music but I just can't get through it. Played it once, tried to replay it one time but I couldn't get past the 2nd chapter. The maps are way too big and just unenjoyable to play imo.

FE5 - 6.5/10. Imo, the next step after FE3, vanilla+. The only reason I have it is ranked a bit lower is because I need a guide to play it.

FE6 - 6/10. Has some issues like shitty ambush spawns, some maps are a bit too long, but overall I enjoy it for its simplicity. What can I say, I like rather vanilla FE lol

FE7 - 7/10. It's a good game what can I say. It has its issues, like the story and difficulty scaling, but overall, its just an easy game to play and get through and its characters are entertaining.

FE8 - 8/10. Combines what I love about FE2 with more modern FE. It was the first FE I completed and again, it's easy to return to and just enjoy.

FE9 - 8.5/10. My third fav FE. It's not the best, but I really enjoyed this one. Pretty great cast and one of the overall better stories of FE.

FE10 - 6/10. A bit to grand for me. Not as annoyingly large as FE4, but it has the same vibes for me. I like Part 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 fall flat for me.

FE11 - 7/10. It has its flaws yes but again, it's just a game I enjoy. One of my first FEs too, so nostalgia plays a factor in it.

FE12 - 4/10. A good game, but Kris ruins it. As someone who loves FE3, I hate this game solely because of him.

FE13 - 7.5/10. Pretty much what I said about FE7 tbh. Just ranked a bit higher because it was my first FE so nostalgia points

FE 14 BR - 5/10. Average all around. Gameplay is meh, story is meh, characters are meh. Probably the most inoffensive Fates game.

FE14 CQ - 7.5/10. Best gameplay in the series imo. Love playing this game and it really helped me get better at FE after the majority of my experience being Awakening and Sacred Stones prior to this. The story however, awful. I hate it. Love the characters tho.

FE14 RV - 2.5/10. I really just don't like it tbh. With it's unenjoyable, gimmicky maps, the story being one of the worst in FE and it just bringing everything I disliked about BR and CQ together, it's just not a game I enjoy. My least fav FE by far.

FE15 - 8.5/10. Second fav FE. Ngl, the voice acting plays a big role, but I just love the cast. They're quite grounded and I managed to find a reason to like them all (even Faye lol). Gameplay wise, it's not the best, mainly because of its maps, but I don't mind them too much since while they are big, they don't tend to have many enemies on them so they don't take too long once you get into the fray. Also the artstyle? Chef kiss.

FE16 - 9/10. My fav FE. Again voice acting plays a big role, but the characters and story are just great for me imo. They have flaws yes, but I still enjoy them a lot. Gameplay wise, I enjoy what it has brought to the table and I actually really like the monastery (tho I do acknowledge, it can get tiring on repeat playthroughs, which TH obviously encourages). Overall, it combines a lot about what I liked with my fav FEs (PoR and SoV) and I just love it a lot.

Shadow Dragon: 5/10

Bland but well designed.

Echoes: 3/10

Great art, mechanics, and characters tacked onto Gaiden - a 1/10 game. Gaiden didn't deserve Echoes, and that time could have gone to any other more deserving game.

Blazing Sword: 7/10.

Sacred Stones: 9/10

Loved the story, cast, and maps.

Path of Radiance: 10/10

Perfection. Absolute perfection.

Radiant Dawn: 8/10

Still great, but bogged down by a lot of unit availability and game balance issues.

Awakening: 8/10

The story is the weak point of an otherwise very enjoyable FE experience.

Fates: 2/10

I just plain didn't like it. The story sucked. The characters sucked. It was too difficult, and that difficulty was usually achieved through cheap means, like one shots, overbearing map gimmicks, and hordes of poison-swap ninjas. Game sucks, yo.

Three Houses: 8/10

Suffers from severe pacing issues thanks to the calendar system and its "use it or lose it" approach to auxiliary battle grinding. But otherwise, it's one of the most intriguing, endearing, story-focused games.

Warriors: 8/10

10/10 for the best in genre Musuo gameplay, subtract 2 for the roster.

Haven't finished:

Geneology

TMS

Binding Blade

Haven't touched:

Thracia

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Blazing Blade-7/10: My first FE and really didn’t know how to play it, but once I learned I did really enjoy it

Sacred Stones-10/10: Best FE around, loved every part of it.

Path Of Radiance- 10/10: I loved it and it was the one that really taught me how to play FE. However just barely loses to SS.

Radiant Dawn-10/10: Sits right there with its prequel. But it had the same weak point as it too.

Shadow Dragon- 3/10: My least favorite FE, I can only forgive so much under the pretense of “Faithful remake”.

Awakening- 6/10: I enjoy it a ton when it came out but the more that I played it the less I enjoyed it. It give a ton of freedom, but skill grinding is a bore.

Conquest-4/10: While a faithful FE, I didn’t care for the maps and game play was far to skill focused for my taste.

Birthright-4/10: Same as Conquest.

Revelations-5/10: Same as above, but the full roster adds +1.

Echoes: 6/10: A okay game, I enjoyed the art and combat style but was a bit to restricted for my liking.

Three Houses-8/10: Could have been far better if the Class system and Replayablility factor was better done.

Warrior: I fully agree with Olivier’s review.

8 hours ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

May I ask, why?

I just have finished this game recently, and I found it pretty rough on easy already. And I'm sorta experienced in Shin Megami Tensei. If the reason is the same as in Persona 5 Royal, then I'd would understand.

Probably just me, but I find even Hard Mode to be barely just right in general. There are quite a few BS boss moment like Excellus, but the most of the time, it only requires one restart at most to figure out the enemy's pattern and defeating them.

FE4: 9.5/10. The GOAT. Story and Setting still unparalleled to this day. Tons of customization and high replay value. Gameplay is braindead, but can catch you by surprise sometimes.

FE7: 7/10. The average FE game. At least is competent in most areas. The three lords are a breath of fresh air.

FE8: 9/10.  Great story and the best cast in the series, with the best antagonist. Gameplay is also braindead with tons of customization, albeit not as much as FE4/FE13/FE14.

FE9: 7.5/10. Also has great story, but the slow gameplay detracted from my experience.

FE11: 6/10. Painfully average, but has strategic merit. Have a love-hate relationship with it, since it was my first contact with the series.

FE12: 8/10. Surprisingly fun. The story is one of the worst in the series and Archanea characters are dull, but the maps and gameplay are very good. With the new avatar and reclassing you can also try customization a bit.

FE13: 9/10. Game that gives you the most freedom of series, with customization and replay value surpassing every previous game. The 3Ds games have the best presentation in the series. The story sometimes looks like a roller coaster, with several ups and downs, but it competently delivers an emotional story to you. The cast is mostly good, but much of their depth is hidden behind the supports. Game breaks itself in thousand pieces halfway through.

FE14: 7/10. Another game(s) that I have a love-hate relationship. Like them all equally for different reasons.

FE15: 8.5/10. Voice acting is top notch. Best soundtrack in the series. Although it doesn't have as much customization as Awakening or Fates, it still offers more than previous games. I like the gameplay and the dungeons. I want it back.

• Blazing Blade: 7/10- Not one of my personal favorites but it was still a fun game and I enjoyed Eliwood's story.
  • Sacred Stones: 8/10- I liked the side characters in this game and the idea of fighting monster units made this game unique to me.
  • Shadow Dragon: 9/10- One of my favorite Fire Emblem games. Yeah, it doesn't have a lot of mechanics from future games but these days I like simple games you can zip through without having to read 1000+ dialogue boxes or have complicated stories. Sometimes being simple works just as well.
  • New Mystery of the Emblem: 9/10- Pretty much everything I just said about Shadow Dragon applies here as well. Probably my number one favorite Fire Emblem game except maybe Awakening.
  • Awakening: 9/10- High contender for my favorite Fire Emblem game. I like several characters from this game, it's fun to speed through on a day when I have nothing else to do. Still a great game eight years later.
  • Fates Conquest: 7/10- Had fun challenging maps with some characters I like coming from this game. The story and it's main cast of characters however are not so interesting but at least there is a skip button so I don't have to watch the cutscenes every time I play.
  • Fates Birthright: 5/10- Didn't really care for the story or the majority of the Hoshidan characters. Gameplay also felt kind of dull.
  • Fates Revelations: 4/10-  Everything was horribly balanced, to the characters and their recruitment time, the story itself and the fact that it was supposed to be the 'golden route'. I am fine just sticking with Conquest thank you.
  • Shadows of Valentia: 6/10- Characters were all interesting and the art style was great however the gameplay itself was what dragged it down for me and it was only fun playing through it the first time. Games that are kind of grindy are just not as fun for me as they used to
  • Warriors: 9/10- Uh, what can I say. I had fun mindlessly destroying armies with my favorite characters. There's not many games I spent 500+ hours playing through.
  • Three Houses: 6/10- Game had well written characters but having to play through the game four times for the full story was a slog and that just made the game's flaws more apparent to me over time. It's still a good game but it just has stuff in it that isn't what I was looking for in a Fire Emblem game.
Edited by NSSKG151

• Dark Dragon (not finished yet): 5/10. Very clunky, especially item management, and it really lacks any kind of battle forecast. Still a game that one can have fun with, even in 2021, and I'll probably return to finish it one day.
  • Gaiden (not finished yet): 3/10. Cool ideas, but the map design brings this down to being the worst game of the series (that I've played so far). It plays just so incredibly slow.
  • Mystery of the Emblem: Only played very briefly and only Book one. Initial impression says 6-7/10.
  • Still haven't touched Jugdral.
  • Binding Blade: 9/10. One of the most simple games of the series mechanically, but map design and balancing (yes, really) manage to make this a very fun, challenging game. If you play it without looking things up externally, score goes down to 7/10 (if you have a general idea how the game plays out) or even 6/10 (for a genuinely blind playthough).
  • Blazing Blade: 7/10. I just find the map design less intriguing than BinBla's. I find that this works better as a chill game on HNM, while HHM throws more frustration at the player than being genuinely challenging. Still a good game, though.
  • Sacred Stones: 7/10. If you put a gun to my head, I'll rate this one higher than BlaBla, but it really is a tiny difference. I find BlaBla a little more fun to play, but SacSto's story is significantly better.
  • Path of Radiance: 9/10. Quite a lot comes from the story, which I think is the best one out of any FE game that I've played, especially when looked at together with RD. The gameplay is more mindless fun than genuine challenge, but it is fun. Kinda slow, though.
  • Radiant Dawn: 8/10. Story starts great, showing that PoR's ending wasn't quite as happily ever after as it appeared, but it declines in parts 3 and 4. Gameplay has its ups and downs - part 1 is mostly fine (screw the Micky+BK solo though), part 2 is bad except for 2-E (and that's only if you don't Haar-skip), part 3 and 4 are alright.
  • Shadow Dragon: 7/10. Story is minimalistic, but that's not automatically a bad thing. Five billion slice-of-life episodes that don't relate to the plot or to each other don't make a story any better. Marth is a great lord. Map design is honestly quite good - the reason why Dark Dragon still has a reasonable score. Slight decrease in score because you have to deliberately kill/not recruit characters to get the gaiden chapters. Still don't like that mechanic.
  • New Mystery of the Emblem: 8/10. Gameplay is great, free reclassing is dumb fun, even though it kinda makes every new character past chapter 8 redundant. Figher!Yubello is awesome, don't @ me. Story/Writing is worse than SD, though - Kris suuuuuuucks and since the majority of supports is Kris talking to every character on the roster, the supports suuuuuuuuuck. I'll never agree with anyone citing them as an improvement over Shadow Dragon's writing.

I have a weird play order so I'll mention this first. FE10 when it came out, then 13, 3H, 4, 5, 9 and 10 again

FE4 - Incredible story gameplay integration, great unit characterization (best in the series?), fun gameplay that is surprisingly streamlined. No outstanding flaw that contradicts the core design ideas behind this game : 9/10

FE5- A game of extremes. Amazing atmosphere, some incredible maps, lots of mechanics to play with, BUT dreadful first time experience, underdeveloped characters (looking at you Asbel), too much variance for my taste, a handful of really bad chapters : 7/10 (6 if you just want a consistent, single playthrough, 8 if you really like investing time/thought into a game)

FE9 - The most consistent and honest FE experience. Everything is good, but sadly having played it for the first time in 2020 nothing feels outstanding in retrospect : 7/10

FE10 - Beautiful presentation and some interesting mechanics but it just always bores me. I can't get myself to play it. First time experience is also really bad because it's impossible to know what's worth investing in. I disagree the map design is particularly good compared to other things I've seen in the series - 5/10

FE13 - I have to give it credit for being the first game to really get me into the series. Looking back, it's an outstanding role play experience but a bad TRPG - 7/10 (a lot less if you want a TRPG, more if you like roleplay and you like to plan your characters ahead)

FE3H - A game of contradictions. Designed to be replayed but full of tedious stuff you never want to do it more than once. Marketed on its characters but they are too customizable to feel different enough. Still a massive amount of fun on a first play through and a good entry point in the series. A lot of fun role play and planing opportunities too : 7/10

Conclusion: too many 7/10. I feel a lot of these games do a couple of things really well and a couple really poorly.

Yay! Opinion time! 

0/10 = hate, 5/10 = average/good, 10/10 = love

FE1 Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light : Haven't played

FE2 Gaiden: 3/10 - Slow to play through and Celica's route is insufferable. but Alm's route wasn't too bad.

FE3 Mystery of the Emblem: Haven't played

FE4 Genealogy of thee Holy War: 6.5/10 Decent story, slightly tedious gameplay, but very interesting characters.

FE5 Thracia 776: 9.5/10 My favorite story in the series, some great gameplay as well.

FE6 Binding Blade: 5.5/10 It's not bad but It's also not the greatest. Maps are fine, story I'm indifferent about, while I like some characters, most are mostly bland, in my opinion.

FE7 Blazing Sword: 9/10 One of my first entries. Love the cast of characters, very fun maps and gameplay, a little iffy on the story, though, but it's not bad.

FE8 Sacred Stones: 4.5/10 It's okay, but I can't seem to connect with any of the characters aside from Artur. Ephraim's route is pretty rad but I dislike the later chapters. Story I'm not a fan of either.

FE9 Path of Radiance: Haven't played

FE10 Radiant Dawn: Only played like the first 2 or 3 chapters so idk

FE11 Shadow Dragon: Haven't played

FE12 New Mystery of the Emblem: 9/10 Love it. One of the hardest entries I've played. And Kris isn't *that* bad.

FE13 Awakening: 2/10  I dislike it greatly. Characters are mostly boring, story I dislike, map design is okay at best, it's not a pleasant game graphics wise, and the difficulty I hate the most. Hard is too easy, Lunatic is too hard and unfair.

FE14 Birthright: 10/10 My absolute favorite. I know it has many flaws but idc. Birthright is my baby. It was the game that got me into the series, I love all the characters (except maybe Azama), music is beautiful, map design is good (in my opinion), and it's the only FE game to make me tear up (even if it is a little silly looking back).

FE14 Conquest: 8/10 CQ is a good game, but I can't bring myself to say I love it. The gameplay is the only thing I see it has going for it. I dislike most of the characters aside from a handful, and story is absolutely god-awful, but the gameplay is fun up until the later half where it becomes just not good. and wth is with Silas just showing up during each paralogue cutscene?? CQ made me dislike Silas.

FE14 Revelation: 8/10 It's not as bad as people say. Some maps are fun, some are not fun (just like Conquest). Unit customization is fun. All the characters are there minus a certain red girl 😞

FE15 Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: 4/10 I don't like it all that much. It's just Gaiden with better art. Map design is still nonexistent, Story I have mixed feelings about, mainly due to the new villains. Music can be seen as better but I prefer the NES songs, honestly.

FE16 Three Houses: 7.5/10 I played only Blue Lions route, and it was pretty rad. I'm not planning to play the other routes, though. It takes too long to get through the game and half of it is just copy pasted maps. 

Path of Radiance: 9.5/10

10 hours ago, lenticular said:

Path of Radiance: Some of this is nostalgia speaking since this was my first Fire Emblem, but it's still one of my favourites. The characters, worldbuilding and story are good, and while it's a fairly easy game, there are enough different mechanics (eg skills, bexp, laguz) to keep it engaging.

Basically what I was going to say, only swap out, "one of my favourites" with "my favourite" and I was probably going to say something far less concise.

Regarding the gameplay, I will say that one thing that keeps me coming back is the variety and level design: the maps are almost all very well made and each provide an interesting challenge (not difficult challenges, but interesting ones) and there's variety in the objectives: one chapter, we're rescuing prisoners, and in another, we're stuck on a ship while it's attacked by ravens. It's also the FE game that most makes me feel like the characters are actually involved in a war. 

Radiant Dawn: 7.5/10

It does build upon Path of Radiance in both story and gameplay, but there's also a fair bit that brings it down. It's less focused than Path of Radiance and the story, while bringing a good conclusion to the Tellius saga, is not without issues. Plus, non-royal laguz in this game are almost useless. 

Shadow Dragon: 7/10

I appreciate this game as something of a throwback; everything's kept very retro while still having some features that make it easier to get into. The plot is barebones, but that's how it was in the original, and while in hindsight I personally would've preferred a remake that brought everything up to date, I'm glad that they had one consistent idea on what they wanted this remake to do and stuck with it; there's almost nothing worse for a remake than a team that doesn't know what they want to do with it...

Awakening: 5.5/10

It's competently made (characters' lack of feet aside), and it's good as a sort-of, "Fire Emblem Greatest Hits", which is exactly what they were setting out to do since it could've easily been the last FE game. But, on its own, everything's just so... generic. It really does feel like it was made with a checklist. Not only that, but the map design takes a serious hit compared to the FE games I started with. 

Fates: 4/10

I purchased all three versions at once via the special edition so I'm going to review all three at once. I criticized Radiant Dawn for being less focused compared to Path of Radiance, but this game may be the epitome of unfocused in an FE game. Every gameplay element and plot device is just thrown in haphazardly, there's no consideration for worldbuilding, almost every chapter is either boring or tedious with only a few good exceptions (and no; the exceptions are not mainly in Conquest as that game confuses tedious difficulty with engaging challenge, though not to the same extent as Revelation), the characters aren't well thought-through. Nothing connects cohesively; any good aspect of the game is only good on its own in a vacuum. 

It feels like a game made to test the waters and see what fans wanted, and that's because it probably was. Well, given how quite a few things in Three Houses seem like a response to criticism of Fates, looks like IS heard the feedback for Fates loud and clear.

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: 3/10

Really? Worse than Fates? He must be mad! Hear me out: remember what I said about how at least it was clear what Shadow Dragon wanted to be? Shadows of Valentia was all over the place. Every gameplay feature or story element feels compromised and ill-considered, as if they couldn't figure out if they wanted this game to update and overhaul Gaiden or keep things similar and be a throwback like Shadow Dragon. As a result, the game has the worst of both: the story is all over the place with it being easy to tell what's new and what's old, but with all of it being bad, the characters are just as all over the place, as is the gameplay. Again, anything good about the game is only good in a vacuum; the whole is far worse than the sum of its parts.

@JAZ_2002 I would've preferred something that was just Gaiden with better art, as at least that would've been a consistent experience.

Three Houses: 7/10

This is potentially subject to change, as I've only played through Crimson Flower and Verdant Wind so far. One thing I will just say right away is that it is not unfocused; the stuff that the game does well, it does very well. The student characters have plenty of depth to them, experiencing teaching them is engaging, making it a real gut-punch to see them caught up in war. There is a lot more worldbuilding and history in Three Houses and most of it is relevant to the plot or the gameplay. 

However, there's then a lot that isn't well-done. I'm reminded of Radiant Dawn in that there was a lot it was trying to do and that it got a few core things right and well-explored. Three Houses has greater ambition, greater amount of things to like, and greater amount of things to dislike. Map design still isn't back to Tellius levels, though it is at least an improvement over Awakening and Echoes even if a lot of it gets recycled. For a game that's about three sides at war for ideological reasons, everyone is really stupid when it comes to actually confronting each other on their ideologies. TWSITD are an improvement over Garon and Anankos but not by much. I could go on, and on, and on. 

Overall Verdict:

Fire Emblem games have an unfortunately tendency to bite off more than they can chew; trying to do a ton of different things without really exploring them instead of focusing on just a couple of things and focusing heavily on and building on those things. It says something that my favourite game in the series, Path of Radiance, does the latter, and it does the latter very well.

I'm not saying FE games shouldn't be ambitious, but to use Three Houses for an example, it tries to be a game of war between three superpowers over ideology when their leaders once went to school together and one of them was taught by you, and a game of empire vs church as both are caught up in an ancient feud with the protagonist being an important piece of this to both sides so-to-speak, when just one of those two things would've easily been enough for a fantastic and ambitious FE game. It's this disconnect between the things that build from Edelgard vs Dimitri vs Claude and the things that build from Edelgard vs TWSITD vs Church of Seiros that bring the game down.