Rate each game in the series you have played out of 10

The Moon Mage

9 hours ago, Stones said:

I really like the Radiant Dawn version because there's a much higher potential for strategy meaning it's possible to one-round him even on Normal Mode where his stats are the same as Hard but the hammer faces WTD.

I never meant that it was a bad thing, but I did find it a bit odd because it was the first game it had ever happened in so I wasn't expecting it. Something else funny about PoR tiles is on the first boat map, Chapter 3, there are stairs where if you are next to them, you can't go straight onto them, you have to go up from the bottom (if that makes sense). I'm sure that happens in other maps but I can only remember it in that one. This also makes sense but I didn't know that was the case at the time.

I do like the two in bold but I'm not huge on the other ones. But now that I think about it I also like the first couple of map themes and the map theme that plays on the desert map and the 4-part one, and the recruitment theme is really good as well. There is also the pirate one which I either love or hate.

1. Yeah; I like the Radiant Dawn version as well. I just wish having a good strategy in place didn't limit the number of turns you had to defeat the other enemies; it's a very weird experience to end up thinking, "My Ike's too good and my strategy too flawless! I might be unable to get the wishblade from that sentinel guy in time!"

2. I didn't think you were saying it was a good thing or a bad thing; it seemed like you weren't sure what it was, so I explained to you what it was. That's all. I remember that with the stairs as well. I don't think it comes up in other maps, but only because there's usually walls or elevation to both sides of it on other maps. 

3. Oh; thanks for reminding me of some other good music from the game. It's been quite number of years since I last replayed the game, so I was just listing the ones I could remember off the top of my head, and I suspect that some of them were ones I was able to remember because of Smash Bros. 

Also, I can't believe I accidentally mistyped "Crimea Marches" as "Crime Marches".🤣

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original version of the games that had remakes, I didn't play. So just an FYI for that.

Shadow Dragon- 9/10
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia- 7.5/10
New Mystery of the Emblem- 8/10
Genealogy of the Holy War- 9.5/10
Thracia 776- 8/10
Binding Blade- 6/10
Blazing Sword- 9/10
Sacred Stones- 10/10
Path of Radiance- 9.5/10
Radiant Dawn- 10/10
Awakening- 10/10
Fates- 7/10
Three Houses- 9/10

Edited by SSbardock84

• 2 months later...

Gonna put an overall score for each then a gameplay-only score to the side in parentheses.

FE1: 6/10 (6/10)

Gaiden: 7/10 (7/10)

Mystery of the Emblem: 7/10 (7/10)

Genealogy of the Holy War: 9.5/10 (8.5/10)

Thracia 776: 8/10 (7.5/10)

Binding Blade: 9/10 (9/10)

FE7: 9/10 (9/10)

Sacred Stones: 7.5/10 (7.5/10)

Path of Radiance: 8/10 (8/10)

Radiant Dawn: 6/10 (6.5/10)

Shadow Dragon: 6/10 (6/10)

New Mystery of the Emblem: 6.5/10 (6.5/10)

Awakening: 7/10 (7/10)

Fates: Birthright: 6/10 (6.5/10)

Fates: Conquest: 6.5/10 (8.5/10)

Fates: Revelation: 4/10 (5/10)

Shadows of Valentia: 8/10 (7.5/10)

Three Houses: 8/10 (8/10)

Three Houses Bonus Round:

Crimson Flower: 7.5/10 (7.5/10)

Azure Moon: 9/10 (8.5/10)

Verdant Wind: 7/10 (7/10)

Silver Snow: 5/10 (6.5/10)

I was a little harsher than I would be rating them simply as games for the sake of better comparison between Fire Emblem games. Fire Emblem has an amazing formula that makes every game by default at least pretty good.

Anyways some of these are a little weird to rate because of the contrast between gameplay and story quality in a few of the games, so I went ahead and put secondary ratings for only gameplay to cover for situations like Conquest where a game with amazing gameplay (some of the best map design in the series imo) is dragged down by an abysmal plot or Genealogy where a game with pretty damn good, albeit quite flawed, gameplay is pushed up by an incredibly strong and compelling story. I didn't give a 10 to any because I tried to think "what did I dislike about this one" for the few I had the highest rated and could think of quite a few things I disliked about each one immediately, which is a strong sign that none should be 10s. I'm pretty comfortable with my picks of the best being 4/6/7 then less so 5/9/15/16. I feel a little weird about having SoV there bc I only played it once but whatever. 3H is a bit weird to have there as well because of how many issues I have with it but actually playing through it it's a very enjoyable experience with a good bit of replay value (well the lack of variety in White Clouds is fucking awful, but everything else makes the replayability pretty strong here). I have mixed feelings about the sandbox shit for units but it does make for some pretty fun replayability. I will say my rating is a bit carried by Azure Moon, which stands far above the other routes as the best by having probably one of the best plotlines in the series in addition to a more consistently strong cast of characters (a lot of my absolute favorites are on CF and GD, like Linhardt, Hubert, Caspar, and Claude, but those paths have more duds, hence consistency for BL) including one of the best lords in the franchise plus some extra maps that the other routes don't get. CF had maps the others didn't get as well but had less maps and felt a little rushed where they coulda made it a lot more interesting than they did. The branching paths for 3H made it a bit harder to rate. Radiant Dawn was similar with the different sections. I really like Parts 1 and 3 as far as gameplay goes but I take issue with portions of part 4 (most of it actually) and I think that part 2 is one of the most sluggish, painful experiences I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem game. If you could turn off animations it would not be that big of a deal but the maps are incredibly long and tedious and just not that interesting. The one where you're protecting the castle is pretty damn cool, definitely one of the more ambitious Fire Emblem maps, but the rest of it kinda fucking sucks. Geoffrey's Charge is just you, well, charging forward with a bunch of cavs. There's not that much to it. You're just going forward and mowing down a bunch of enemies at a snail's pace. It's fine for a bit, but holy shit by the end you just want it to be over already. Having to reset on that is hellish. Again, coulda been fixed by being able to turn off animations, but no. You've gotta sit through the whole ass thing.

Edited by edgelordweeb
Wanted to add more on why RD is so low because I honestly do like parts of it

• 2 weeks later...

FE1 - Haven't Played

FE2 - Haven't Played

FE3 - Haven't Played

FE4 - 7/10

FE5 - Haven't Played

FE6 - 5/10

FE7 - 3/10

FE8 - 6/10

FE9 - Haven't Played

FE10 - 9/10

FE11 - 7/10

FE12 - 5/10

FE13 - 4/10

FE14 (Birthright) - 3/10

(Conquest) - 7/10

(Revelations) - 2/10

FE15 - 6/10

FE16 (CF) - 4/10

(BL) - 6/10

(VW) - 7/10

(SS) - 5/10

FE4: 5/10. Good as a one time experience, will probably never replay though

FE5: 8/10. Janky but much more enjoyable than its predecessor.

FE6/7/8: I give all of these a 7/10. Even though I find them to be aggressively mediocre, they're still by far the easiest ones to just pick up and play. I've probably replayed Blazing Sword more than any other game in the series.

FE9:  8/10. Essentially a more polished version of the GBA games. Game moves far too slowly though, and this keeps me from picking it up again.

Fe10: 7/10. Somehow even slower than its predecessor, mostly due to the amount of chapters where you are essentially forced to watch the AI fight itself. The first half of the game is quite good, but the game falls off during part 3 when they start throwing multiple rout/defeat x amount of enemies chapters at you. Far too exhausting for me to ever replay.

FE11/12: 7/10. Same comments as the GBA games. 

Awakening: 5/10. Maps were bad, but it was fun to build units

Birthright: 6/10 Slightly better than Awakening

FE14 CQ: 8/10. Enjoyed this one quite a lot, though it seemed almost puzzle-like at times.

3H: 6/10. Made me far more appreciative of the way Fates handled its route split, especially when you consider that both BR and CQ can be purchased together for $60, the same price as a single copy of this game.

Can't comment on the rest

• 2 weeks later...

Let me rate them, according to the earliest I have played.

Conquest: 9/10. Difficult but fun. The story is weak, but the gameplay and the strategy required is top-notched.

Birthright: 6/10. Serviceable. The game allowed grinding to the detriment of strategy. Story was still weak.

Revelations: 6.5/10. More challenging than Birthright and had a better story. Nevertheless, the gameplay is weaker than Conquest.

Echoes: 7/10. Great story, but poor map design. Armour units were essentially mediocre since they take so long to cross maps. Gameplay was good but deaths via teleporting witches can feel cheap. Thanks for Mila's turnwheel!

Three Houses: 8.5/10. Great story and fantastic gameplay. The characters were memorable. While the maps were not as memorable as Conquest, they were not as mediocre as Birthright. 

Path of Radiance: 8.5/10. Good story about racism and war in general. I cannot think of much bad, except that the economy was poorly managed. (You get rich too easily).

Radiant Dawn: 8/10. Enjoyable gameplay, but too many underpowered characters (and no reason to use them). The number of chapters (47) made the game feel epic.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't finished all of these but so yeah opinion could change but lesssa go

Fe 6 - 6/10

Fe 7 - 7/10

Fe 8 - 5/10

Fe 13 - 9/10

Conquest - 5/10 (I really just didn't like Corrins character)

FeSoV - 8/10

Fe3h - 7/10

• 2 weeks later...

FE8: 8/10 (Eirika Route)

FE13: 8/10

FE15: 7/10 

FE16: 9/10 (GD & CF)

I really enjoy the "easier" games of the franchise (although I have completed lunatic & maddening runs). It's the characters that makes the game great for me, until three houses came along, which swept me away with the story. I found FE16 to pack a lot of emotional punch compared to the rest I've played.

FE 6 - 9/10

Fe7 - 8/10

Fe 8 - 8/10

Fe 9 - 10/10

Fe 10 - 9/10

Fe 11 - 5/10

Fe Awakening - 7/10

Fe Conquest - 9/10

Fe Birthright - 7/10

Fe Revelations - 7/10

Fe Echoes - 6/10

Fe 3H - 9/10

I never completed Echoes or Shadow Dragon because both have aspects that I really dislike. Conquest might not quite be a 9 but it gets a 9 from me because I was shocked at how good it was compared to the general perception of fates. I really, really enjoyed my first playthrough of Conquest. 

Final note: FE 9 gets a ten because it doesn't have anything that brings it down. Great everything (characters, story, supports, gameplay, maps). Fe 6 gets a nine for not having a support viewer, supports taking forever, and some units being highly unbalanced. Fe 10 is great but droppped supports and has literal filler chapters at the end. 3H is quite close to a 10 but its dragged down by the monastery and fetch quests. Replaying it can be tedious at times.

Edited by PipForever

How I rank on a 1-10 scale: 1-5 (bad or mediocre) 6-8 (good!) 9-10 (Favorite)

FE1: 6/10 I'd rather play Shadow Dragon, but I think it still holds up well.
Sacred Stones: 7/10 It's alright, probably the most average game in the series to me.
Path of Radiance: 8/10 Top 5 for sure! I loved alot about the game, especially the bonus exp system. I just wish I could play it on something that can emulate Gamecube reliably...
Shadow Dragon: 7/10 Very fun! I'd just rather play New Mystery, though.
New Mystery of the Emblem: 9/10 Personal favorite in the series. I love the reclassing, and the graphics have grown on my alot.
Awakening: 7/10 I thought it got kinda boring after Gangrel, maybe because I was too overpowered at that point...

Conquest: 9/10 Most fun maps + most fun gameplay system = the most fun game
Birthright: 8/10 Its like Conquest, but a little less. Ryoma is awesome though!
Revelations: 6/10 I mean, Fates gameplay is still fun.
Echoes: 9.999999/10 The map design is the only bad part about this game other than that it is perfect amazing game.

Three Houses: 7/10 It is pretty good! My only complaints are the pretty lame graphics and the reuse of maps. 

As much as I enjoy playing Conquest, I do not know how to objectively rate it, for its weakest point (its ridiculous storytelling) is something that I do not take seriously or primarily in this genre. Therefore it deters me less that it does other players.

Assuming that one can enjoy a tactics game with a terrible storytelling, I would give Conquest an 8/10. Acknowledging that it can never be a whole experience without at least a basic, coherent story; and taking off another point because its map design and gameplay mechanics, while engaging, are not perfect.

• Birthright, 3/10
Weak map design and no challenge. It breaks itself. I prefer the characters of Conquest.

• Revelation, 1/10
Not even useful as a mechanics tutorial due to how tedious it is.

• Awakening, 4/10
Weak map design, but it is irrelevant because of how easily it breaks itself. No challenge. At least it has characters that are more fun.

• Shadows of Valentia, 4/10
Tedious map design and basic mechanics. A whole extra point for its presentation and funny voice acting.

• Four Houses, 3/10
Weak map design and basic mechanics. The padding between battles does not translate into a more engaging gameplay. It is either very tedious or very easy.

I have tried the GBA and DS games, but not long enough to rate them.

If the gameplay of Advance Wars is more engaging than that of a Fire Emblem game, then the latter is doing it wrong, for it does not even fulfil its basics.

Edited by starburst