How hard is maniac mode in this game?

POR maniac mode is one mode that I have never tried out though that is mainly because POR is a game I don't like very much. Although I am deciding to give it a second Try after I already did my first playthrough years ago but this time on maniac mode. So how hard is maniac mode? Is it brutally hard or is the game still easy and is their anything I will need to know? Though I will probably still dislike this game though since it's IMO an overall bore from what I have played 

Speaking second-handedly, it's not much harder, just slower. Kind of like how using bad units in vanilla PoR doesn't really make it harder, just slower.

From what I've heard, though, Maniac Mode is the one PoR fans should never play, because it will make you hate it.

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Speaking second-handedly, it's not much harder, just slower. Kind of like how using bad units in vanilla PoR doesn't really make it harder, just slower.

From what I've heard, though, Maniac Mode is the one PoR fans should never play, because it will make you hate it.

I mean I already disliked POR on it's other setting's so I guess I'll hate it even more. YAY!!!!! end my suffering 

Keep in mind Maniac mode is JP-only; your EN version's "hard" is their "normal".  So the only way to play it would be, ah, through alternative means, or straight up buying a specific disk there.

Speaking of somebody who's played the game ~70+ times and Maniac at least twice ... it's deceptively hard. Not nearly as hard as 3H Maddening, but it does require some thinking.  Axe users and high ATK characters that can crunch through defenses are critical. Jill and Titania ended up my MVP's for both the movement range and being able to hold their own.  Swordmasters and low ATK units are almost useless; even with a spoiled Zihark (all statups dumped on him) he had a hard time crunching through armors.

The way it mainly increases difficulty is adding x2 enemy amounts, cutting EXP, and buffing their defenses - the level where you guard Sanaki is almost hilarious with the amount of enemy soldiers that are there, likewise when you fight Bertram.

That being said the glitch with the forged Thunder tome crit rate makes it a cakewalk if you just want to complete it for bragging reasons.

Edited by kradeelav

It isn't the hardest difficulty, but it's not easy either.

Around FE6 HM, FE11 H5, FE12 H2 and Conquest HM.

Early game is difficult, because all units except Titania are weak and frail. The quicker you can train your units to reach certain stats to be able to ORKO and take some hits, the easier the game gets. The Midgame should go fairly smooth then. The endgame throws some nasty stuff like long range magic and status staves at you, the better your team is optimized the easier it is. Forging is essential, almost every chapter a weapon should be bought to ORKO stuff. Reyson and mounted units with axes and lances are still recommended to clear the enemies in the player phase, infantry units have trouble keeping up (except a good Boyd).

To kind of add on/echo what other folk have said.

I love PoR but I honestly couldn't be assed to complete the game on maniac mode. It starts off difficult but, as others have stated, it kinda gets easy as your units grow in power. The main rise in difficulty is the abundance of enemies... I guess cutting your bonus exp kinda sucks but I never really relied on it. 

If you want to make your life easier, I recommend on having a completed save of the game. This will unlock various rings/bands that can increase the growth rates just a bit based on the type of ring. You'll have to look up what each does as the ingame description kinda sucks. There's also the option of fixed growth rates which doesn't make the game easier but could prevent you from getting screwed by bad growth RNG. 

As much as I love this game though, its slow as all hell and that's why I just didn't finish it. Chapters end up taking forever and I felt like the real challenge was just a test of patience. Overall its fine, just less hard and more tedious. If you thought the base game was boring, I think you'll despise this mode. 

Edited by Marco

• 1 month later...

Only just starting MM today and I found the early maps to be really easy. Can't wait for the later ones. I'm not turned off by long animations so I'll let you know.

The only thing I'm hesitant to do is forge a 255 crit weapon. I understand they're powerful, expensive, and can only go on slim/thunder but it feels like such a cop out to use those options.