Tactical Voting

Jotari

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

free trade are perceived by many rural voters as harmful to them.

Well, they aren't wrong. All it takes is placing a Wal-Mart or a few fast food restaurants in a small town to force an shift in the economy. The one in Demning, New Mexico really clashes with the rest of the town and the surrounding landscape (but then again, this is an oasis in the middle of nowhere).

Just now, Armchair General said:

Well, they aren't wrong. All it takes is placing a Wal-Mart or a few fast food restaurants in a small town to force an shift in the economy. The one in Demning, New Mexico really clashes with the rest of the town and the surrounding landscape (but then again, this is an oasis in the middle of nowhere).

I wouldn't even say that, necessarily. I've lived in small towns, we've had Wal-Mart and MacDonalds for a while. Maybe not in the township itself but fairly close, within 30 minutes. I was thinking more in terms of industries like steel and coal and oil, which rural communities are more dependent on the production of than cities (which mostly just consume those resources) and so view foreign producers as rivals, often with unfair competitive advantages due to differences in labor laws.

Kind of a separate topic, but yeah. Fragile world. Wal-Mart in the next town might not totally shift things but when you get a Chipotle and a Panera and a Whole Foods and two mattress stores all on the same street it definitely makes a difference.

23 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

In Soviet Russia, there was only one candidate, but they still had to receive enough votes to enter / remain in office. If they did not reach a certain threshold, another candidate would be put forward and the election would be repeated. That said, if you feel like throwing your vote away, doing it on a third party (if you're a Libertarian) is a good idea. The strategic benefit is that it might turn out a number of people agree with you.

That's actually pretty interesting. I wouldn't expect anything less from Russia though.

But yeah, it definitely makes sense to just put forth new candidates in a redo for an election. It makes me wonder what would happen if something like that occurred in the U.S. For the party that has a President in office, do they just replace the current President with a different candidate?

In Australia, we have preferential voting. Instead of one vote, you rank every candidate in order. So you can both vote for who you want, and vote against who you don’t want by putting them last. Realistically, only two parties can win the election, but it’s not a literal two-horse race like the US so voting for a third party actually makes a difference.

The hook Fire Emblem has over other series is the large number of unique characters, and being limited to seven votes (and being able to vote for a character seven times) doesn’t really take advantage of that. So, CYL would also benefit from having a preferential voting system. 

• 8 months later...

I've just came back from the Japanese consulate in Sydney the other week for the parliamentary elections (we call it the National Diet, but it's essentially like the national parliament in Commonwealth countries), and boy, I really wish there was preferential voting available, because I'd really like to prioritize my vote towards the non-LDP parties and hope one of them actually becomes a proper opposition party to better keep LDP (Liberal Democrat Party, or Jiminto) held accountable.

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2021 at 3:14 AM, Baldrick said:

In Australia, we have preferential voting. Instead of one vote, you rank every candidate in order. So you can both vote for who you want, and vote against who you don’t want by putting them last. Realistically, only two parties can win the election, but it’s not a literal two-horse race like the US so voting for a third party actually makes a difference.

The hook Fire Emblem has over other series is the large number of unique characters, and being limited to seven votes (and being able to vote for a character seven times) doesn’t really take advantage of that. So, CYL would also benefit from having a preferential voting system. 

There is a lot of talk about voting, elections in the context of the problem of fake news, which constantly accompanies every election in every country, whether it is a demacratic or authoritarian country. At https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/fake-news/ I recently read some constructive information about fake news.

I think this voting system is more domocratic and fair.

Edited by Darius Murphy