Jump to content
ciphertul

Which is more important Growths or Caps.

Recommended Posts

Like the title says do you find growths or caps more important on a character. I personally go with caps. There are ways to mitigate bad growths or stats but outside of limitbreaker in awakening there is no way to change caps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither, it's bases followed by what the map requires.

Growths and caps imply that I'm going to use the character.  They're equally irrelevant if their bases and the situation put them on the bench.  But if they do get invoked, then it's growths against caps - or "I don't know who designed FE6's HM growth system, but hi Zeiss".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, depends on the game. Of the FEs I've played, the only one where caps actually mattered was RD; in all other ones, (FE5, 6, 7, 8, 16, Berwick as well as dabbling in a few others) if you hit a stat cap, you probably broke the game anyways. FE6 was a bit of an exception to this, but other than caps that were absurdly low, they barely did matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the game. A lot of the time, you're never going to see your caps in the first place, so growths are way more important. In other cases, caps are universal, so they're kinda irrelevant, and your growths determine how soon you reach them anyway.

Caps mostly only matter in games like RD, where they can determine whether a unit is endgame-viable, or high difficulties of New Mystery, where the class you choose might come down to whether you have the Spd to double in lategame, or if you're going for Apotheosis, again for the Spd reason.

Overall, I'm going to say growths > caps, for similar reasons to why bases > growths: bases are what you have guaranteed before growths kick in, and growths are what you're relying on to reach your caps.

EDIT: right, Heroes. Caps are super important in Heroes because of fixed growth and the fact that nobody gives a shit about units that aren't level 40.

Edited by Seafarer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Benice said:

Really, depends on the game. Of the FEs I've played, the only one where caps actually mattered was RD; in all other ones, (FE5, 6, 7, 8, 16, Berwick as well as dabbling in a few others) if you hit a stat cap, you probably broke the game anyways. FE6 was a bit of an exception to this, but other than caps that were absurdly low, they barely did matter.

Yeah this. Depending on how you play, you might hit caps, but they almost never make a real impact. Even in RD where they probably mattered more than other games, it was only for a few maps, and still not that impactful.

I'm not going to say "bases" because I feel like the absence of that option was the point here. Growths can determine if a unit is able to be good or not, caps do not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, eclipse said:

Neither, it's bases followed by what the map requires.

Growths and caps imply that I'm going to use the character.  They're equally irrelevant if their bases and the situation put them on the bench.  But if they do get invoked, then it's growths against caps - or "I don't know who designed FE6's HM growth system, but hi Zeiss".

Whats the deal with Zeiss again?


A bit related though it still kinda kills me to remember how if you consider ONLY growth in the context of FE6, excluding deliberate overpowered growth(thieves, Karel, Fae) the top character would probably be along the lines of.... Miledy, Shin, Dorothy, Wendy, Roy, Allance. It kinda showcases how messed up it is that one of the BASED GODDESS of FE(Miledy) also contends for havings one of the best growth in the game

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

A bit related though it still kinda kills me to remember how if you consider ONLY growth in the context of FE6, excluding deliberate overpowered growth(thieves, Karel, Fae) the top character would probably be along the lines of.... Miledy, Shin, Dorothy, Wendy, Roy, Allance. It kinda showcases how messed up it is that one of the BASED GODDESS of FE(Miledy) also contends for havings one of the best growth in the game

The thing with Milady is that she has HM bonuses but they weren't supposed to exist, so her bases weren't designed the way they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Whats the deal with Zeiss again?

Unpromoted unit who's one off of his Strength cap for no good reason on HM.  He also has a good Strength growth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bases > Growths > Hair Color > Caps.

 

Caps are irrelevant if your growths aren't good enough to reach them and if your base stats aren't good enough to be useful along the way. I daresay that caps are the least important part of balance discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

literally the only situations where caps have mattered were a) endgame of RD, b) endgame of the archanea remakes, c) post-game of awakening. the end. in those three situations, yes, if you don't have the caps then get out, but otherwise most of the time you're not even hitting them.

remember when in SS the fandom raised a big stink about how they nerfed the caps of the final trainee classes in the localisation? as if that mattered? as if we were even going to use amelia and ewan? we were so young and innocent. :sobs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Growths most of the time. Caps usually have a limited window of relevance unless it's FE12 Lunatic where you start seeing enemies Dracoknights can't double in the midgame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 12:30 PM, Hasechi said:

Just look at donnel, High growth low caps. He can't be used in higher difficulty

Donnel's problem, in the main game, is his terribad bases - not his caps. He's hard to get going, but once he does, he can keep up through the rest of the game.

Anyway, in most games it's growths. In Echoes and Three Houses, for instance, you're unlikely to ever hit the caps during normal play. In Thracia, most units will hit their caps - but everyone has the same, so they're not a distinguishing factor among units. Radiant Dawn might be the one exception - hitting caps early can be beneficial (for BEXP abuse), and lategame caps can affect performance in the tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I'm tempted to say "neither", or "bases", it's growths for obvious reasons. With the possible exception of Radiant Dawn (and maybe a few other games), capping stats is generally uncommon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In games where you don’t have “down time” between chapters and simply go from chapter 1 to chapter 30 (or whatever) growths and bases are more important since you probably won’t hit caps as often anyway. Even as a player who trains units to level 20 before promoting which many do not I seldom see units get significantly higher than level 10 as a promoted unit.

in games where you have a lot of down time like fe8 and 3 houses and are able to farm stat boosting items your caps become more important if you take advantage of the fact that you can reliably hit them given enough investment of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, xigbar7 said:

in games where you have a lot of down time like fe8 and 3 houses and are able to farm stat boosting items your caps become more important if you take advantage of the fact that you can reliably hit them given enough investment of time.

I would hard disagree that caps matter more in 3H - have you SEEN the caps? If not, I would take a look at this page:

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/maximum-stats/

Most of the lower caps would likely need a lot of help from stat boosters to achieve, never mind the higher ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would hard disagree that caps matter more in 3H - have you SEEN the caps? If not, I would take a look at this page:

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/maximum-stats/

Most of the lower caps would likely need a lot of help from stat boosters to achieve, never mind the higher ones.

I don't think they matter in a practical sense, since the amount of time to farm stat boosters would be arduous, but that is partly my point that some of the games don't even give you the option to do so, thus making the idea of capping a stat not even register on my radar in a game such as FE7 where there is no real way to farm stat boosters. In other words, stat caps only matter in theory when the game gives you a theoretical means to pursue them. But I agree with you, it is not really worth it. Even in Sacred Stones, where caps are lower and very reachable by farming stat boosters in ToV of Lagdou Ruins, it is extremely tedious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, xigbar7 said:

I don't think they matter in a practical sense, since the amount of time to farm stat boosters would be arduous, but that is partly my point that some of the games don't even give you the option to do so, thus making the idea of capping a stat not even register on my radar in a game such as FE7 where there is no real way to farm stat boosters. In other words, stat caps only matter in theory when the game gives you a theoretical means to pursue them. But I agree with you, it is not really worth it. Even in Sacred Stones, where caps are lower and very reachable by farming stat boosters in ToV of Lagdou Ruins, it is extremely tedious.

Then why did you list 3H is an example of a game where caps are more important? Because it's FAR more feasible to cap stats in just about any other FE game, even a game like Blazing Blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...