Merc's FEH-Related Written Works Collection

Mercakete

So, occasionally in the Fire Emblem Heroes (FEH) forums, I'd write something up for fun. Most recently, in the 5th Choose Your Legends (CYL5) event topic, I wrote a little script about how the characters in the game might see this event. @eclipse suggested that I make a thread here and post it (also that I continue it if I feel inspired to do so.) I don't think it deserves its own topic, so I decided to go through my FEH posts and collect various things I wrote there and compile them here. Kind of like a sketchbook, but for writing. So, a FEH writing compilation. I'll try to keep this thread somewhat organized. Please note that these aren't always going to be my best work, since I'm not putting professional-quality effort into them (even though I'm pretty sure I always do my best in my rough drafts.) Also, because I don't want to spend all day combing my posts for my written work, I'll be adding to this a bit gradually, I think. Anyway, enjoy.

Update!: I'm cool with people leaving feedback on this thread, just for the record. It's more scrapbook-y than an organized short story/episodic thing anyway, heh. Sorry I didn't say this earlier.

Script-style sketches:

Choose Your Legends 5 Mid-Term Results Announced!

This one I based on various lore bits we've been given, such as Feh being a messenger owl, and how in the first CYL's paralogues, the winners of the event ("Brave" versions, as "Brave" is in all of their titles) talked about how they all had a dream of a great multitude of people calling out to them and believing in them. Also, since the players are the summoners, and since it's common-knowledge in-world that there are many versions of various realities, and that these realities intertwine here, I came up with a sort of "summoners conference." As for the characters' knowledge and attitudes, they're based on how the characters, themselves, act, both in their home games, and in FEH. As for choosing Cain as opposed to any of Marth's other retainers, he seemed to fit the role the best, being rather proactive and outspoken. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this little sketch inspired by something Book Bro (not sure if he wants a ping or not) said on the topic in which I initially wrote this.

Spoiler

Cain: Milord! I have great news!

Marth: Oh? What is it, Cain?

Cain: The messenger owl just returned with a report on how the conference of summoners across the worlds goes.

Marth: Really? How exciting! Perhaps it is because of how many summoners congregate for that purpose, but every year after the conference, new, powerful heroes join us in our fight for the peace of Askr. Who does it look like will rally to us this year?

Cain: These results are not final yet, but for the men's division... It seems as though the summoners are favoring milord!

Marth: Me?

Cain: Is something wrong?

Marth: I...just am surprised, I suppose. This is not Altea. I do not provide any special advantage to Askr's cause, myself. I wonder why the summoners are considering me...

Cain: It may well be because of the very character you are displaying right now. You are kind and humble, if I may say so, milord.

Marth: I do not see myself as especially kind or humble...but thank you for your words all the same, Cain.

Cain: Gracious as ever! In fact, I've heard rumors that in previous conferences, you were highly considered, but others' voices rose toward the end and changed the final results. Suspicious characters have been coming to Askr in greater numbers lately, as well... I spoke with Abel, Jegan and Merric about this, and we all agreed that extra protection may be prudent during this time.

Marth: Is there truly anything to be worried about?

Cain: One cannot be too careful when it comes to such mysterious matters, milord.

Marth: I...suppose?

Cain: At any rate, this man will be able to stand by you as the results continue to be weighed. The rest of us have other places we need to be when the results are called. The professor, Byleth, has vouched for him, and offers his support as well in case he is granted a nearer position to milord.

Gatekeeper: Greetings, Prince Marth! As Sir Cain has explained, I will stand at the ready nearby to ensure that no ill fate befalls you this year!

Marth: Ill fate...? Other heroes being chosen over me is hardly something I would call an ill fate, particularly if the congregation of summoners deemed it in Askr's best interest.

Cain: All the same, milord, please accept this extra guard.

Gatekeeper: I do have extensive experience in keeping vigil, your highness. I hold my post no matter what!

Marth: Well... Alright then, um...

Gatekeeper: No need for informality, your highness! Simply calling me "Gatekeeper" will do just fine.

Marth: If that is your preference, then...very well, Gatekeeper. I appreciate your support.

Gatekeeper: Whether in calm or in trouble, you can rely on me to remain alert! As for right now, I am happy to say that there is nothing to report.

Marth: Heh. Good. Let us hope it stays that way.

Gatekeeper: Yes, sir!

Choose Your Legends 5 Results

This is basically the sequel to the above script. I felt like writing it. Anyway, hope people like it.

Spoiler

Marth: Whew! It's finally over.

Gatekeeper: Indeed, your highness? Then that letter contained the results of the summoners' conference?

Marth: Yes, it did. I must say, I never expected this year's conference to be so eventful. There was so much activity...

Gatekeeper: If I may say so, you sound tired, Prince Marth.

Marth: No more tired than you must be! On several occasions, you were absolutely swarmed! Just how you held your position and turned away those masses was truly a sight to behold!

Gatekeeper: Heh... Truly, milord, you praise me more than I deserve. I was only performing my duty. When I'm standing guard, I put all my effort into making sure that no one gets past me who isn't supposed to.

Marth: To you, it may only be performing your duty, but there are few who can turn away the masses with as much care and success as you. Leastwise, that I have seen. I am not the only one who has noticed, either.

Gatekeeper: Oh? What do you mean by that, Highness?

Marth: Here. Look at this.

Gatekeeper: The conference results?

Marth: Yes. What do you see?

Gatekeeper: Well, it says that you won, your highness.

Marth: And whose name do you see next to mine?

Gatekeeper: ... Wait- What?! That... That's me! You mean to say that the summoners...paid attention to me?

Marth: Hahah! It would seem so!

Gatekeeper: Goodness! I had only thought that I was being depicted as your guard... I hadn't thought that I would be recognized at all, let alone rank... First?!

Marth: Do you see, Gatekeeper? It is as I said. The summoners have recognized your talents as well, and appreciate all that you do. Not only do you keep foes and troublemakers at bay, and defend the peace and order of those you guard...but you're always ready with a smile, and are easy to talk to. I am certain that for these qualities, you have been recognized.

Gatekeeper: I...truly am honored, your highness, but... I fear that it is only because I was guarding your highness that I received any attention at all. I hope that my being so in the public eye did not distract the summoners from your highness's much more deserved standing.

Marth: Please do not fret. I, myself, have experienced the delight of your company and protection as you have guarded me. There is no cheat nor trick to this. I assure you, by your own merits have you gained the recognition you now receive.

Gatekeeper: I...suppose...but please understand, Prince Marth; this is all quite a lot for me to take in.

Marth: I understand perfectly well, Gatekeeper. I, myself, am humbled by this honor. Whether of noble or common birth, each is recognized for value that the summoners see in them. That is the nature of this ruling.

Gatekeeper: Yes... You are right, of course, your highness. Thank you for your kindness in helping me to see it.

Marth: Of course. Now, shall we tell the others? I do believe that we have something to report.

Gatekeeper: Yes, sir!

Parent Support

This one was only partially written, and mostly as an example for a club in the Order of Heroes, from a thread I made a while back on that topic. I'll include some of the stuff at the top of this one to provide context.

Spoiler

So, we know about C.H.O.P. (axe fighters), the as-of-yet-unnamed sword ladies training club (introduced in Larcei's supports in the Beyond Blood FB), Club des Reines (queens), and the Heavy Plate Corps (people who eat a lot), and it seems like these little clubs are only going to keep popping up. With that in mind, I began to wonder what other commonalities clubs might start up around. So, I began thinking of some, and thought that it could be fun to see what ideas other people had!

So, make a club! It can be about an interest (such as eating lots of food) or a fighting style (such as using axes) or any other commonalities the heroes have. Make sure that you include who would join this club!

Name: Parents' Support Group (joke name is "D(e)ad")

A support group for parents (especially ones who died before their children really came into their own.) Here, they express their struggles with parenting and both seek and offer advice from one another.

Members: Griel (Ike and Mist's dad), Rudolf (Alm's dad, Berkut's uncle and surrogate dad), Dierdre (Julia, Julius, and Seliph's mom), Mikoto (Corrin's mom), Hector (Lilina's dad), Chrom (Lucina's dad)

I imagine each person would have their own issues. Like,

Hector: Eliwood is my best friend, and I'd never dream of taking his son away from him. Roy's a good kid, really. It's just that whenever I see him getting close to Lilina, I feel this surge of protective aggression that's so strong I can hardly contain it!

Griel: It's only natural for a parent to want to protect his or her children. Now, my son, Ike, didn't know it at the time, but there was one time when he nearly touched a very dangerous medallion. I scolded him much more harshly than I'd ever intended to, but it was only because the thought of that thing affecting him frightened me so badly. It is because we love our children so much that we behave like that at times -- even to our own surprise!

Dierdre: ...

Mikoto: Dierdre? Was there something you wanted to say?

Chrom: We are all here to support one another, after all. Feel free to speak openly.

Dierdre: ... I fear that I have the opposite problem to Lord Hector. I can hardly remember anything... I know that Seliph, Julia, and Julius are my children...and yet...my connection to them feels so weak...

Chrom: I can relate, to a degree. I had only barely become a father when my daughter, Lucina, suddenly came to us from the future, already grown into a young woman. I hadn't had the time to build a relationship with her yet. In my own time, she was still just an infant... When she made it clear who she really was, I didn't know how to react. Even now, I haven't yet grown into the version of me she remembers. I really don't feel like I know what I'm doing as a father at all.

Rudolf: I, myself, was filled with doubts for years about my choices as a parent. I only got to hold my son once before I had to send him away. I know in my head that it was for his protection, and I did find a good man to raise him and keep him safe, but... Even now, as a father, I regret not having been able to watch my son grow. Worse, the boy who I could have been a father to, I needed to keep this secret from. In the end, I feel like I failed both my son and my nephew. I was never truly there for either one of them.

Mikoto: My own child was taken from me while still young, and raised by another. The circumstances aren't the same, but I do understand the pain of a child being absent from one's life. Always wondering what struggles you are unable to soothe, missing important phases of the child's life... It can create such an empty feeling. I was fortunate to be surrounded by my late husband's children, even though my own was gone. Just as you, Emperor Rudolf, had your nephew.

Forging Bonds Conversations:

Alfonse in Various Forms

Spoiler

Lif: Hm? Kiran? ... No. You are...different...

Kiralfonse: ...

Alfonse: Oh. Hello, Lif. Kir- ... No, you're that copy of me...

Lif: Copy?

Alfonse: While I was gone, in the dream world, Kiran dreamed of this version of me. It was likely his unconscious mind trying to tell him the true nature of the dream.

Lif: And then Kiran summoned him here...

Alfonse: Yes. It really is amazing that the summoner can even bring beings such as this into our world...

Lif: No wonder...

Alfonse: Hm?

Lif: This copy... He is not truly alive. He reminds me of the Einheijar present in other worlds. Only...

Alfonse: He has no spirit. I know. He may bear our face, but he does not behave like us at all.

Lif: Us? I may share many things with you, Alfonse, but I cannot say that we are the same. Not any longer... The events in my own world have shaped me into someone entirely different. Even this listless figment of a dream is more like you than I.

Alfonse: I don't think that's true. You and I still think alike in many ways. Back in the land of the dead, we could even anticipate what one another was planning. Even though we have had such different experiences, at our core, we are the same.

Lif: ... Perhaps. And what of this Alfonse?

Alfonse: He was created within Kiran's dream. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what that makes him in relation to us.

Lif: ...

Lif: ...A promise.

Alfonse: Huh?

Lif: Or perhaps a symbol... He is a sort of manifestation of the bond we share with Kiran. He only exists because of that bond...and because Kiran could not bear to be in a world in which you have been lost to him. He is a symbol of our friendship.

Alfonse: "Our" is it?

Lif: Perhaps.

BONUS!

Bunny Alfonse: *sneeze*

New Years' Sharena: Bless you!

Bunny Alfonse: *sniff* Thanks, Sharena. Oh! Sorry, I assumed you were the Sharena from my world.

New Years' Sharena: Hehehe! That's okay! I do the same thing!

New Years' Alfonse: Salutations.

Bunny Alfonse: Hello to you as well, Alfonse. Hmm...

New Years' Alfonse: Is something wrong?

New Years' Sharena: Well, he did sneeze. Maybe he's catching a cold.

Bunny Alfonse: I'm fine, thanks. I was just thinking about something I'd heard... Alfonse, you received a fortune at the new year, didn't you?

New Years' Alfonse: Yes. You want to hear it, don't you?

New Years' Sharena: I'll be he's ALL EARS!

Bunny Alfonse: Ha. Ha. Right... Anyway, yes. So far, this year has been rather hazardous for the Alfonse of this world. I suppose it's just making me a little nervous.

New Years' Alfonse: You're right about that... Hmm..

Bunny Alfonse: Yes?

New Years' Alfonse: The fortune I got this year said that I would have good luck. Maybe it doesn't apply to all other Alfonses here, and just to me.

Bunny Alfonse: Oh... And with the new year already so far advanced, a new fortune probably wouldn't help us much...

New Years' Sharena: Well, that's easy to fix!

New Years' Alfonse: It is?

New Years' Sharena: Kiran summons all kinds of heroes here! There has to be at least one fortune-teller who can explain the rules of new years fortunes. Maybe we can even get a fortune told for you, Alfonse! Um, that is, the one in the bunny costume.

New Years' Alfonse: Why are you wearing that, anyway?

Bunny Alfonse: The Sharena from my Askr talked me into it. The spring festival was fun, but...

New Years' Alfonse: I understand. Better than most, probably.

Bunny Alfonse: I appreciate that. Anyway, that's a good idea, Sharena! Let's start asking around. I'm sure that there's a hero who can tell fortunes somewhere around here. It would be a relief to find out that not every Alfonse in this Askr will have the same sort of problems as one another.

New Years' Sharena: Alright! Come on, Alfonses! Let's hop to it!

Bunny Alfonse: ... Please don't.

A New Future!: Edelgard Rewreite

I didn't like the concept IS went with for Brave Edelgard's Forging Bonds, so I wrote one that fit her mindset better, in my humble opinion (based partially on what other users were saying.)

Spoiler

C :

Edelgard: So, you are Sothis? You look to be a mere child...

Sothis: And you have no sense of respect, addressing me like that! A child... Really! How very rude! Well, considering how much you despise me, I suppose your crude behavior is to be expected.

Edelgard: You already know how I feel, then.

Sothis: Indeed. I have watched you through the eyes of another. I saw you striving toward your goals, working ceaselessly, and rising from student to emperor. Your drive and determination are admirable...though toward a goal you have not thought all the way through.

Edelgard: Excuse me? Not thought all the way through? Did you think your actions all the way through when you burdened humanity with crests? Did you think about how those with them would rise up, belittling and devaluing anyone who was born without one? What about how the destinies of those born with crests would already be determined for them, regardless of individual passions and ambitions?!

Sothis: To tell the truth, I do not remember what happened all those years ago. But even so, do not the history books say that it was humans who organized themselves in that way? And even if there were no gods in Fodlan, do you not suppose that humans would continue to structure their society in the very way that you claim is due to my influence?

Edelgard: ?!

Sothis: This is why I say that you have not thought this all the way through. Besides that, you have not even considered the perspective of the gods. Even if you still wish to rail against us, it can be no hindrance to learn of our thoughts, can it?

Edelgard: ... I suppose so. Understanding one's foe is beneficial.

Sothis: *sigh* However you wish to think of it, I suppose. Anyway, there are several gods here in Askr besides myself. We are easier to speak to than ever. I suggest you acquaint yourself with some of them. Their histories, peoples, and positions may differ widely from my own...but I am certain that there is much perspective to gain from speaking with them all the same.

Edelgard: Very well. Direct me to the first of these...deities.

B:

Yune: You want to know more about my influence over humanity?

Edelgard: Make no mistake, I am not friendly toward your kind. However, I seek to understand how other countries fare under the rule of other deities.

Yune: Well, that's rude. Why do you care if you hate us so much?

Edelgard: I understand the practicality of learning your perspective. Askr presents a unique opportunity to do so. As such, I have decided that I do not wish to squander such an opportunity.

Yune: How boring...but I suppose I can respect that. You should know, however, that I am only half a goddess.

Edelgard: Oh. You mean that you have human lineage?

Yune: No. I mean that I am literally half a goddess. Weren't you paying attention? I am half of Ashunera, the goddess who created Tellius. She split herself into two halves: one of chaos, and one of order. Ashera is the order half. I'm the chaos half.

Edelgard: Chaos? So, you wish to sew dissent and anarchy?

Yune: I don't particularly care. Everyone should just do what they want. That's what I plan to do.

Edelgard: You are...not what I expected of a goddess.

Yune: I get that a lot.

A:

Edelgard: Ah.

Mila: Hm?

Edelgard: It's just that...the last two goddesses I spoke to had the appearance of children. I suppose I had gotten used to that and was beginning to think that the norm. Anyway, I wish to know the perspective you hold. What are your views toward humanity?

Mila: To me, humans are helpless children. They have so much need, and lead lives filled with strife. It is my wholehearted desire to ease their lives, and to grant them happiness.

Duma: Hmph.

Edelgard: You disagree?

Duma: My sister understands nothing of the needs of humans. If they are given everything without any effort of their own, it cannot lead them to happiness. It nourishes their greed and discontent. They are at peace for but a moment, and then they see or imagine what they do not have, and burn with desire once more. They desire everything and value nothing. It is only when a human has earned something through his own effort and has overcome strife that a human finds contentment in what he has gained. As such, making every desire easily accessible to humans does nothing but harm them in the end. That is why the best thing we gods can do is to provide challenges for humans to overcome, so that by their own strength they can grow, and thereby find true contentment.

Mila: Why must you always promote strife, Brother? Can you not see the simple truth that kindness and gentleness soothe a broken spirit, and give hope to the downcast? How many humans have died under your harsh rule? How many have turned their eyes to you, searching for love and mercy, only to be met with cold indifference? How many have starved because you would not bless the land, or have killed one another because resources were too scarce? How many have served strength to the detriment of those born with frail bodies, or sightless eyes, or any other form of disadvantage?

Duma: All humans are born frail and weak. All humans have the capacity to improve their lives themselves through overcoming hardship. What becomes of them, however, if everything is given to them without any effort required on their part? They will never reach their potential. They will become vile, feeling entitled to anything and everything -- even things which others hold which they are jealous of. You criticize my rule of Rigel, but tell me, dear sister, what is the quality of the humans over which you rule? Are your kings and nobles known for their strength of character and strength of arms, or for their endless thirst for power and pleasure? When hardship presents itself in ways even you cannot prevent, do the humans of Zofia stand strong and overcome them, or do they crumble and whine over the smallest inconvenience? Zofia's humans claim that they somehow deserve every pleasure, despite having done nothing to earn it, and are incapable of handling any hardship on their own. By contrast, the humans who live in Rigel are strong. They have grown from mewling babes into self-sufficient adults. The same cannot be said of those who reside under your excessive providence. You coddle them, and they remain mewling babes. It is no wonder you see them as children, as you give them no chance to grow!

Mila: At least the people of Zofia live! How can you claim my way to be worse than your own when the people of Rigel lie sick and dying from the unforgiving lands you leave them to?

Duma: The people of Rigel are not so weak as the humans you are used to. You treat them as helpless, but they only become so when you grant their every need and desire! You are keeping the humans of Zofia from reaching any kind of potential! You are the reason why they are so weak! Is it not more cruel to limit a child's growth than to ignore a child's selfish demands?

Edelgard: Even the gods themselves cannot agree on their role in relation to humanity.

S:

Sothis: Well? Have you found enlightenment in speaking with the gods?

Edelgard: Not in the way in which you jest, but...yes. I believe I have gained a more complete understanding.

Sothis: And what is it that you have learned?

Edelgard: After speaking with several deities, I have come to the staunch conclusion that your kind and mine do not belong together. My resolution has been hardened.

Sothis: Oh?

Edelgard: There was no consensus on how humanity is to be ruled, even among gods who are close to one another. Their views were more varied than I had imagined. Each position was flawed in some way. Those flaws would harm humanity in one way or another, whether it led to famines or treachery, tyranny or anarchy. The gods do what they think is best and humanity has no choice but to accept the consequences decided by another. It is better that the gods keep to themselves, and that humans decide their own fates.

Sothis: At least you are better at thinking things through. But there is still something that you have not considered.

Edelgard: What is that?

Sothis: The gods created humans. And not only they, but all things. Without us, you would have no world in which to live, not to mention that you would not exist. If we left you to your own devices, then you would never be in the first place.

Edelgard: ...

Sothis: It is only natural for you to want independence, but you should not forget where you came from. You certainly are ungrateful...but you are also clearly resolute. I will not stop you from creating the Fodlan which you envision. However, in this world you will make, I wonder if someday, someone will see you as you see me.

THE END

Story/Interaction Blurbs:

Things I wrote without putting the effort into scripting it.

Dragon Halloween!

Spoiler

Lyn, Hector, Eliwood, Roy, Lilina, Nils, and Ninian are all working on Halloween decorations as a team for Askr castle (since this place is HUGE there are likely more teams about too.) Tiki shows up, Ninian answers the door. They have some conversation in which Tiki manages to pressure Ninian into taking her to the main festivities (because Bantu is busy looking after all the other Tikis and Marth has already been invited to too many parties because he tries to keep up with too many friends. Naturally, the Askr trio is also already busy with things, Eir is uncomfortable about all the death celebrations, Peony is having a slumber party with Mirabilis, and Fjorm and Ylgr are visiting their brother in Nifl.) After this sob story of no one being willing to go with her, Ninian succumbs to the pressure and awkwardly tells the others that she has something she needs to do and that she'll be out for a while. They all are all "That's fine! We'll handle things here!" and she's off the hook. Then, Tiki helps to slap-dash a costume together for Ninian using candy and stuff in Ninian's closet, and they call it a "tennyo costume," pretending that it was intentional all along. And then they head out to the festival. Halloween Hector and Halloween Lilina arrive at the FE6+7 heroes' place for trick-or-treating and both Roy and Hector can't get over how cute Halloween Lilina is. Eliwood steps in and saves his son while Nils gives the required candy tribute.

Support Conversations:

There was an entire thread dedicated to fanmade support conversations, and I contributed a little bit. Here are some I wrote/descriptions thereof.

Hrid and Leavateinn

This one includes a description of the support, as well as something from another thread where people were invited to dream up the children of characters who could only meet in this game, and make units out of them.

Spoiler

I've explored this theme myself in a fan support I wrote which takes place soon after book 2.

The gist is that Hrid is trying to rebuild Nifl and is reaching out to Leavateinn to offer support in rebuilding Muspell ("We're already in rebuild mode, let's help you rebuild too, and rebuild relations between the kingdoms while we're at it" sort of idea.) Leavateinn's struggling to deal with not knowing how to rule and suddenly being expected to while also suddenly not having any family left, and is kind of overwhelmed so she's a bit hostile and reclusive at first, especially since it was the Askr-Nifl alliance which killed her sister (she was already dying because of the Rite of Flames, but eh. Emotionally-charged people are seldom rational.) Hrid persists for a little while, but eventually gives up. Leavateinn winds up going to him later and asks him about some of the topics he'd previously brought up (sympathy for her regarding the loss of her sister (Laegjarn), and bringing up the loss of his own (Gunnthra).) I think it's in this conversation when Hrid expresses that he feels it necessary that he be forged into a sword which can protect his people and homeland (this is taken directly from his in-game quotes.) That's when Leavateinn realizes that they have more in common than she thought, and expresses her own views on herself as a blade. Their bond only grows from there, and Muspell and Nifl start to recover alongside one another, each sending aid to the other in what they don't realize yet will become a very strong alliance, with their rulers acting as blades to defend both their own people and each other's.

That's about where the very very plausible ends and it goes into something less supported by in-game events/quotes. That is, I ship these two. In my expanded version, Hrid and Leavateinn wind up getting married, though Nifl and Muspell remain distinct kingdoms each ruled by its respective monarch and are just extremely strong allies (after all, they were founded by the dragons Nifl and Muspell and they figure they shouldn't mess with that.) Hrid and Leavateinn have twin sons (this bit entirely came from a prompt in another thread on this forum: "Create-A-Hero, FEH Child Edition") named Skoll and Hati. Skoll leans more Muspellian and Hati leans more Niflian. More on them in the aforementioned forum, including personality/physical descriptions.

Leavateinn (FEH) x Hrid (FEH.) Again, a couple from the same game, but they don't appear anywhere outside of Heroes, so...

The story: After the war between their countries, each worked to rebuild. Hrid offered Nifl's support in Muspell's restoration, and both bonded over the losses of their sisters, parents, and countries, and over each other's resolve to be forged into metaphorical blades by which to protect their homes.

The kid(s): 

(1) Name: Hati

Description: A cold and determined young man who inherited his mother's complexion, his father's hair color, and his father's steely blue eyes. Wears his hair in a long, silky, braided ponytail, held in place with two hair beads, one bearing the crest of Muspell (at the top) and the other bearing the crest of Nifl (at the bottom.) His hair's texture was inherited from his mother. The defense of Muspell and Nifl are his utmost concern, and he has a deep appreciation for old traditions. He patrols Nifl, and enjoys the brisk cold. Tends to wear Nifl-style attire. His physique is somewhat imposing, as he grew up to be on the more muscular side. His younger twin brother is Skoll.

Class: Blue beast cavalier. Rides a wintry dire wolf which he commands in combat. Has high res and comes with Iceberg. His weapon has a built-in Luna effect.

Friends: Would have really clicked with his aunt Laegjarn and gets along very well with both of his parents and his aunt Fjorm.

(2) Name: Skoll

Description: Wears his bright orange hair in a bun filled with small, complicated braids and held in place with a golden comb bearing the crests of both Muspell and Nifl. Energetic and filled with life, Skoll prefers warm weather and cannot stand the cold, much to his father and twin brother's chagrin. He inherited his hair color from his grandfather, Surtr, but it also has a natural gradation into his father's purple hair color, though this is only visible at the tips of his hair. He inherited his mother's complexion and eye color. He primarily patrols Muspell, but values freedom, and will often go off route in his daydreams. Tends to well Muspellian-style attire. His physique is somewhat slender, built more for agility than strength. His elder twin brother is Hati.

Class: Red beast cavalier. Rides a summer-y dire wolf which he commands in combat. Has high def and comes with Bonfire. His weapon has a built-in Sol effect.

Friends: Adores having fun with Sharena, Elise (Fates), Kaden (Fates) and Peony. Also gets along well with his aunt Ylgr.

Emmeryn and Gangrel

I didn't actually write the support conversation for this one, I think? But I did write the story here. This comes from the "create a child" thread mentioned above.

Spoiler

The story: After the events of FE13, Gangel was at a loss as to what to do with himself and Emmeryn's amnesia persisted. In turn, each was summoned to Askr. It was an oddly healing experience for both of them. Gangrel found a sort of purpose in life again, and Emmeryn regained her memories. However, upon seeing each other, something of their old afflictions returned. Every time Gangrel looked at Emmeryn, memories of his past wrongs overwhelmed him just as they used to, and once again, he felt like he was nothing more than a corpse walking among the living. Emmeryn wasn't sure what to think. Gangrel had been a terrible man and she had no fond memories of him. In fact, she was somewhat afraid of the man...and yet, seeing him so downcast and contrite pulled at her sympathies. She took to watching him out of some strange and somewhat morbid curiosity. Even when he was unaware of her presence, he was an outcast in the otherwise welcoming realm of Askr, and though he would never admit it, she could see the sadness his loneliness brought him. Already a compassionate sort, her heart went out to him.

One day, she approached Gangrel. At first, he tried to give some excuse and walk off, but the former Exalt stopped him. She told him that she knew what happened to her in their own timeline, and admitted that for a while, she had been fearful of Gangrel. Gangrel himself expressed that she was right to fear him, but the woman was not yet finished. She told him that it took a long time and that she was ashamed of that, but that she had reached a point where she forgave Gangrel for what he had done to her. She told him how she had seen his loneliness, and that it was far too sad for her to do nothing about it. She didn't want him to live life as though he had already died. Caught off-guard at how accurate her perception was, Gangrel lashed out in his internal turmoil. He claimed that he did not need Emmeryn's sympathy nor her forgiveness and that she was foolish for offering it. He claimed that he was not sorry for what he had done, and that she should fear him -- that he would do it all again under the same circumstances. The trauma returned for Emmeryn, and she was frozen in fear as Gangrel stormed off, half regretting what he had said, and doubly being crushed by what he had known for so long: that he had no more place among others. And, perhaps, that he never had.

Emmeryn never told anyone about that confrontation with Gangrel, but her siblings could tell that something had happened. As Lissa tried to help her sister feel better and get her to say what was wrong, Chrom confronted Gangrel, threatening him to stay away from his sister. Gangrel assured him that he had no intention of interacting with the woman, let alone harming her again. However, in time, Emmeryn herself approached Gangrel once again. Gangrel snapped at her, saying that he'd thought he had made it clear that he did not want to be friends. Emmeryn's eyes filled with tears, but not because of his harsh tone or words. It was because she could see within him the little boy who had come from nothing and had never known kindness. She saw the child who sacrificed the great man he could have grown up into so that he could survive. In a fit of overwhelmed compassion, Emmeryn threw herself at Gangrel and wrapped her arms around him, crying into his chest for the suffering and lack of love he had known all his life. Gangrel was too stunned at Emmeryn's actions to think or move at first. Then, the gravity of what she was doing, what it meant, and specifically, what it meant for him hit him all at once. With trembling arms, he awkwardly and unfamiliarly rested his hands on Emmeryn's back. Then, he finally shed all the tears he had been keeping inside of himself since he was a child.

After that encounter, the two's relationship began to truly develop. It was still awkward and uncomfortable at first, and there was a lot that Gangrel only admitted over time, such as how he truly did regret what he'd done to Ylisse, and specifically to Emmeryn and her family. Soon enough, the two were speaking casually with one another, laughing together, and there were even times when Emmeryn would admonish Gangrel for his relapses into his former, cruel mindset. It was an astonishing transformation that was very obviously healing for the both of them. Lissa was nervous about her sister's newfound friendship, however, and Chrom's blood boiled at the thought of Gangrel betraying Emmeryn's trust. Aversa and Mustafa didn't trust that Gangrel's transformation was sincere, but seeing as they were all on the same side in Askr, couldn't find much reason for Gangrel to be plotting against Emmeryn. Aversa was more jaded about her opinion than Mustafa was. While Mustafa cautiously hoped that the two were really undergoing a healing change, Aversa was clear about her mistrust. Chrom was far from soothed by her perspective.

He confronted Gangrel again, once more warning him away from his sister and swearing that he would not hesitate to kill him, Order of Heroes or no, if he even thought about harming her. Chrom told Gangrel that whatever the people of Askr called him, he knew what the former Plegian king really was, and that he was no hero. Emmeryn walked in on this conversation, appalled and angered by what she heard. Gangrel assured her that there was nothing to be upset about and that Chrom had every right to mistrust him. Uncertainly, he told Emmeryn that, perhaps, it was a mistake to pursue a friendship with one another -- that there was too much bad blood between them. Emmeryn tried to reassure him, but Gangrel ignored her, quietly leaving the siblings. Emmeryn then admonished her brother. Chrom argued that they couldn't trust Gangrel, citing the war between their countries and the various times the man had tried to have Emmeryn killed. Emmeryn angrily returned that Gangrel had changed since then, and that Chrom had no idea what had turned him into who he had been during the war in the first place. She added that they weren't in Ylisse anymore, and that things were possible in Askr that could only have been dreams in their own world, such as peace between Gangrel and their family. Then, she stormed off, leaving her brother feeling guilty and frustrated with himself for having made the same mistake as he had previously with Mustafa: having already decided who his enemies were before giving them a chance in this new world.

Meanwhile, Emmeryn searched for Gangrel, eventually finding him once again by himself. Emotionally withdrawn, Gangrel asked what the former Exalt was doing there. Emmeryn replied with quiet conviction that her brother was wrong. Well-intended, but wrong. Sitting next to Gangrel, she began to go over all the changes she had seen in Gangrel. How he had become more conscious of others, the good he had brought to Askr, and how she personally enjoyed spending time with him. She bid him not be afraid of the past anymore, but to let it go, and to allow himself to become who he had always had the potential to be. Gangrel admitted that he was afraid to hope that he could be someone better, and that even if he did, he had wronged so many people that would never forgive him. Emmeryn quietly but whole-heartedly asked him to forgive himself, even if no one else from his past other than she forgave him. Wryly, Gangrel told her that he didn't deserve her forgiveness. She replied that no one ever deserved forgiveness. That was what made it forgiveness. It was there, in that quiet moment that Gangrel admitted his growing feelings to Emmeryn. That she was so kind and compassionate, and that she was the only one to never give up on him, that he could not help but to have fallen in love with her. Emmeryn's own heart was overwhelmed by the trust Gangrel had placed in her. She then told him how much she desired to see who he would become as he became his truest self. She told him who she saw him becoming: a kind, strong man with a quick wit, a dauntless spirit, and tactical acumen. He was a bit overwhelmed that she had such faith in who he could be, and told her that he wanted to become that man, for her.

Soon after that, the two announced their love publicly, rather shocking quite a few people. Many thought it was some trick or scheme. Oddly, it was Chrom who first expressed that he thought the two were sincere about the whole thing, and that he believed in them as a couple. Some time after the pair's wedding, they had a child of their own, followed later by another. By then, Gangrel had just about become who Emmeryn knew he could be.

The kid(s):

(1) Name: Panama

Description: Inherited her mother's complexion and her father's wavy, maroon hair. She also inherited her father's eye color. She keeps it up in short, springy pigtails with gold hairclips. A cunning young woman, she enjoys solving puzzles and coming up with off-the-wall strategies. Somewhat mischievous.

Class: Red tome cav. Rides a dark brown horse with dark red tack.

Friends: Has a sort of friendly competition going on with as many people as possible, and the game is always one of wit. Competitors include Selena (Fates), Claude (pre-timeskip, 3H), and Lute (FE8.)

(2) Name: Heimish

Description: A young man who takes just about everything seriously and is on a lifelong quest for serenity and peace of mind. He inherited his father's complexion and eyes and his mother's hair color and texture. Easily exasperated.

Class: Flying staff. Rides a pale, brown wyvern.

Friends: Gets along well with calming sorts, so he's on good terms with Libra (FE13), Mercedes (pre-timeskip, 3H), and Mirabilis (FEH.)

Florina and Lon'qu

I wrote a support conversation for these two, but I also threw together a kid for them as per the create-a-child thread.

Spoiler

The story: (Very vanilla.) After having been summoned to Askr, the two were assigned to the same team and wound up getting to know each other. While usually very uncomfortable around the opposite gender, both found acceptance with each other. (I wrote up support conversations for them in the past. I can go dig those up and copy+paste them here if you'd like.)

The kid:

Name: Florence

Description: A very shy, soft-spoken boy who inherited his father's hair color (as per FE13 breeding conventions) and his mother's eyes. He has a very small build, inherited from his mother. He's always nervous about something or other, and suffers from social anxiety. Despite this, he has a way with animals. He's also been taught swordplay by his father, and mounted combat by his mother.

Class: Sword flier. Rides pegasus from his mother's homeland. The pegasus seems to think he's a girl. That, or she's in denial that a young man rides her.

Friends: He gets along well with Shigure (and would with Marianne (3H) and Ignatius (Fates) if they were in FEH.)

Banner Ideas/Unit Ideas:

I'm only including these because someday I may choose to write stuff up based on them. They're all basically story concepts, so, you know. I'll organize it better later, but for now I'm just slapping them on here as I find them while combing through my posted content. Also, some units since, again, if I choose to write dialogue between them, it'll be nice to have these as reference. I'm only going to post things here that I, myself, wrote, so all the quotes are of me. I'm using spoiler tags here because otherwise this is going to get long.

Grimleal-themed (based on the Dark Desert Rituals)

Spoiler

If I was to reorganize this banner, I would have made it based on the Ruin Timeline in Awakening, featuring Robin's family (kind of like a messed-up version of what IS tends to do for Valentine's Day.)

Validar: Grimleal High Priest (star of the banner, given some fancier alternative outfit reflecting his high status. In this timeline, he's winning.)

M!Robin: Grimleal Tactician (though he's already wearing a Grimleal-style coat, in this, his outfit would, again, be much fancier/regal. He wouldn't be possessed by Grima, but instead would be willingly helping Validar to bring about Grima, even knowing his fate in doing so.)

F!Morgan + Lysithia: Students of Grima (just like in Future Past, Morgan be helping the Grimleal due to her loyalty to her father. Again, she'd be wearing a different outfit from her usual, but still Grimleal-inspired. Meanwhile, Lysithia would be researching ways to keep her power from overwhelming her, and has reached out to F!Morgan for help in this. They're studying the power of Grima together to see if harnessing some of that power could help Lysithia keep her own power in balance.)

Tharja: Sacrificial Devotee (she can look like she does here, sure, but the reason for her being here/joining the Grimleal would completely be because she's chasing Robin, who may or may not also be Noire's father in this timeline.)

TT: Noire: Family Project (she would have white hair here, and also be one of the Grimleal, with her dual personality being mostly in its extreme state. Evidently, the entire family has been experimenting on her, not just her mother, and as a result, she's become a ruthless devotee of the Grimleal.)

So, kind of a Valentines-Fallen crossover banner.

Actually, you know who would make interesting Grimleal-costume-wearers? Maybe Nah (because dragon) or Awakening Tiki (because divine dragon) but especially Libra. I wonder if the one handing out the costumes would give him a fem one by mistake... That, or people not recognizing him because of his obviously masculine form (when his torso is somewhat exposed, as expressed in his conversation with Virion) would be a fun joke. Plus, I wonder how he'd handle being dressed as one of the Grimleal. They're kind of the opposite faith from him.

FEH Countries-themed (inspired by Dark Desert Rituals)

Spoiler

Anyway, characters wearing garb from another culture brings resplendents to mind. I wonder if they'll have culture festivals for ones native to Heroes or if they'll leave that exclusively for resplendents. I kind of hope they don't just leave them for resplendents. There are so many characters, and the designs for each culture in Heroes is so distinct and interesting! We can introduce new characters that way, too. For example, Nivdadellirian Jake would make sense, since I think he's usually a balatician. Plus, it would be a fun way to bring relevence back to worlds we've already visited. We can see how they're doing and all that via paralogue this way (if IS is okay with that, since they're trying to keep each book somewhat independent of one another. They have mention of the plots in FB's, though, so maybe it'll be okay.) If they had a Niflian festival, I wonder if they'd bring in Canas for that, and maybe King Hrid. Muspellian Julius would also be interesting, and we could see Queen Leavateinn. And the Alfar one can be a bunch of people who frequently sleep (a slumber party!), like Mitama, Haar, and Linhardt! Mirabilis would make sense as a "host" for that one, being a sleepyhead herself.

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Guys- GUYS! What if... What if this new seasonal's theme is...pajamas? It fits the season (sleepovers seem like an autumn thing to me and pajamas have a "comfort" sort of thing to them, which is what you want in late autumn.) They could totally have hot cocoa too. As for characters who fit that theme, there are a lot of them.

Linhardt, Tiki (though not her because she recently got an alt), Mitama, Dwyer, Haar, Mirabilis... And those are just the ones off the top of my head! Plus, book 3 is about the dreamworld, so it's a great time to have that sort of theme! PAJAMA PARTY GO!! I want to see these heroes at their coziest! Blankets, pillows, hot cocoa, books, and of course, pajamas! Who knows? Maybe we'll get special pillow fort/blanket fort stuff, too! X3 Ooo, and stargazing, maybe! I bet Mitama has cute pajamas. Maybe lilac with little purple dragonflies on it... I think it'd suit her. Or stars. She has star eyes. Ah, it'd be interesting to see her dad's eyes open, too, since she apparently got her starry eyes from him. That should maybe be for another time, though...unless they're a duo unit. That could be cute! Having rare, sweet dad-daughter moments like that...

I talked about this a while back. I wonder if IS listened! =D Even if that's not the theme, it's still kind of a dream theme (no pun intended) for me. Relaxed and cozy...

(As a note, I did suggest the slumber part one in more detail somewhere in the past, but this reflects it okay. If I find it, I'll put it here.) (Looks like I talked about it a few times. If I find another time, I'll post it here.)

I haven't beaten FE7, but I've heard things and people make jokes about him with the cold a lot. *shrug* Thought it might be fitting. There aren't many characters who specifically connect to the cold. I guess it's a good place for Blue Lions to show up, though, since Faerghus is a cold country. Petra could be funny too, though. As I recall, she hates the cold.

Edit: Actually, Niflian Anette + Niflian Gilbert would make a cute duo unit. And I bet Ashe would look great bundled up in Niflian garb!

Edit again: And though I think Felicia would look awesome in Niflian attire, she's a reasonable candidate for a resplendent hero.

Edit again: And for the Nivdadellirian one, Eitri could be the "host" of a meeting of those interested in mechanics. Besides Jake (being an operator of heavy artillery), Yukimura also makes sense (he's good with machines), and though I could see Odin geeking out about the mechs, I don't see IS throwing together something mostly male for this. I don't think this is quite Ophelia's cup of tea either, otherwise she'd make a good replacement for her dad. Izuka is a scientist, but I think he's more of a chemist and biologist. I guess there's the magical side to consider, too. Iago comes to mind (he makes golems and stuff via magic, so he fits in), but again, he's a guy. There aren't that many girls in FE who are into the sciences, I guess. Lute and Anette are both booksmart, but it's not quite coming together for those two, especially since IS is going to want someone busty to show off, I think. Anette and Lute's body types are already kind of represented in Reginn, so the design won't be super distinct, and the other girl already repped in this scenario is Eitri, who is smol. Maybe they'll throw Manuella in or something. She's a professor (and a man-hunter) so it makes sense she'd be trying to find opportunities to find a guy keep up on recent technological advancements.

I thought of them, but I'm worried that would be too boring. They all look really similar to one another, and already wear similar colors to Nifl's. I guess there's Nils and Ninian, being ice dragons, and there was that time Tiki (like we don't have enough of her) had something to do with an ice dragon shrine, I think, but isn't there already a Resplendent Nifl Ninian? I don't recall. I also thought of a snowy pegasus place in FE4, but I don't remember the name of it. And for Tellius, I don't think they have a country that's specifically cold. Daein might be, but I think it's just that we tend to be there in winter. Still, I woudn't say no to Niflian Edward, Nolan, or Leonardo. Volug and Nailah could be interesting, too, if only because of the concept of "winter wolves" (and those two get less attention than - and are more worlflike than - Keaton and Velouria.) Actually, I'd like to see some of the beast Laguz in their winter coats! Imagine a super-fluffy Mordecai! X3

Ninja banner (based on/rerun of In the Moment)

Spoiler

I don't really think that Kaze, Saizo, and Kagero should have been a part of this, but Shura and Midori would have been good since you don't really get to see them in ninja garb otherwise. Asugi could have fit, too, maybe as a duo unit with his dad trying to get him to be a proper ninja. (Just Saizo by himself would be a bit...repetative.) Still, having an actual ninja who knows what (s)he's doing to help the others and clear up any confusion about them would have been great, I think. We got actual pirates for the pirate banner, but no actual ninjas for the ninja banner. Hana's at least Hoshidan, but even then, she's not really a ninja. They have their own subculture in Hoshido, as is explained by the ninja twins, Kagero, and Shura in their supports.

But really, I would've loved to see Shura as a ninja. We always see him when he's not one, even though he's very much one at heart.

And while I'm not sure how cordially this would go, I also think that Kotaro being involved here could be good/interesting, especially since he has connections to the ninja twins, and to Shura.

Mage for a Day

This came from a thread that challenged people to come up with non-seasonal alts. We were restricted to lord characters, I think.

Spoiler

Anyway, how about Mage for a Day? (Alternate event title: Hit the Books!) Lords who try their hand at filling the role of their associated mage friends in order to better understand what they go through in fulfilling their roles.

Alfonse: History Student. In an effort to understand his good friend Bruno better and to help him in his research of Embla's history, Alfonse has taken up an ancient Emblian tome to see what he can learn. His design will be based off of Bruno's outfit. Cavalry blue tome. Uses some new Emblian tome.

Ike: Straightforward Tactics. As much as Ike is sincerely trying to gain an appreciation for and understanding of Soren's tactical genius, his own abilities remain better suited to physical might. His outfit is based on Soren's sage design (PoR or RD; I don't care which, though this is Ike somewhere between his PoR and RD selves.) Infantry colorless dagger. Technically he's using a wind tome, but he's just chucking it at his foes instead of casting magic. Let's call this the "Flying Tome."

Ephraim: Attempting Immersion. Still having difficulty with his studies, Lyon has suggested trying to combine study with combat so that the books can hold Ephraim's interest (though Ephraim still struggles quite a bit with controlling his magic.) Outfit based on Lyon's design. Infantry green tome. Nothing specific on exactly which weapon.

Seliph: Half-brother Harmony. Hoping to gain a better understanding of his half-brother Julius, Seliph has decided to try his hand at arcane arts. Outfit based on Julius' design. Armored red tome. Wields a fire tome. (Dad would be proud. Especially if it's Meteor or something.)

TT:

Marth: Altean Library-goer. Having many friends such as Merric and Linde, Marth has decided to read up on the kinds of spells they use in order to gain a better appreciation for them. His outfit will be based on Merric's primarily, with touches of Linde's. Infantry colorless tome. The animation looks like a weaker but combined version of Excalibur and Aura.

Bonus: if Sothe was counted, one of him with a design based on Micaiah's outfit. He'd rock those long black gloves and burgundy tunic. He could be a blue tome unit with flashy (har har) light spells.

Assorted Unit Ideas

Spoiler

Shinon+Manuela: Harmonic Tipsy-Topsy (Shinon and Manuela are both drunk stupid, but fighting happens whether you're ready for it or not. Shinon's the fighting unit, and Manuela mostly kind of hangs off of him and babbles/giggles unintelligibly, sometimes trying to be flirtatious with Shinon who more or less tells her to shut up and get lost. Damaged art has Manuela falling back, yanking on Shinon's ponytail. He's also arced back as a result, but still trying to fight, though kind of very unfocused because he's also drunk, but grumpy drunk. Their special conversation has them talking about their respective woes (Manuela's "I can't get a husband" and Shinon's "My life is in the hands of a teenager who I don't trust to lead me") and in the end, they just decide to drink some more.

Laegjarn+Triandra: Harmonic Protective Elder Sisters (Very defense/res-based unit, designed for guarding. Both of them were very devoted to protecting their younger sisters, so I thought it'd be interesting to see them interact.)

Elena: Mother's Song Duo

The lead is Elena (Ike and Mist's mother) and she's a duo with her young daughter, Mist. I imagine this being a picnic seasonal or something like that to incorporate the flowers from that field in the cutscene where she's first shown in PoR. Flower crowns and a general motif of the flowers is included in the artwork.

Weapon Type: Colorless tome

Movement: Armored

Weapon: Soothed Medallion: Mt14, Rng2. Grants Res+3. If any penalty to unit's stats is active, foe suffers these penalties x2 in combat. Calculates each stat independently. At start of turn, restores 7HP to allies within 2 spaces of unit.

Special: N/A

Assist: Sing

Duo Skill: Removes all allies' penalties (from skills like Panic, Threaten, etc.) and negative status effects (preventing counterattacks, restricting movement, etc.) that last through allies' next actions. Once used, Duo Skill cannot be activated again right away. At start of even-numbered turns, if Duo Skill has already been used, unit can use Duo Skill again.

A: Fort. Def/Res 3

B: Renewal 3

C : Even Res Wave 3

Stats: High Res, high HP, fair def, and low atk/spd. Dedicated support unit.

And within the voice lines, she and Mist can hum the lullaby together. X3

There. I think that's a pretty reasonable banner star. ^_^ (Based her off of Duo Sigurd, Heron Wing (weapon), Chaos Manifest (Yune's Tome - just the Mt and Res+3, though) and Chaos Ragnell (but made it more Order-y than Chaos-y with the stat penalty thing.)

Edit: Ah, also based her Duo skill on Restore+ without the HP recovery.)

Assorted Interaction Ideas

Spoiler

Actually, I was thinking it would be fun to see her interact with Python. Maybe Shinon, too. I don't think there was enough Python/Shinon interaction, but I get what his personal story was supposed to be, and I'm not that disappointed about it. Those two had some good chemistry, though. Both relatively relaxed but serious sorts who look at things realistically without adding romanticism to it or exaggerating the bad points. "Killing is serious business. You're taking someone's life. But dying sucks, so I'm going to shoot the other guy before I get stabbed." Shamir has a similar outlook, and is a mercenary (like Shinon) so I could see them having some interesting conversations. Especially if Cyril ever gets into the game, actually, especially since Rolf being Shinon's student isn't a secret in Askr like it was in Tellius. (I mean, Rolf kind of told everyone. Or, at least he praised Shinon a bunch. Not sure if he mentioned that he was Shinon's student.)

To that end, Shinon, Shamir, and Jorge could have a talk, too, being the mentors to Rolf, Cyril, and Gordon. Or the latter three could brag about their mentors and talk about how much they admire them. I think I'm forgetting someone...

Ah, speaking of archery mentors, I wonder if we'll eventually get a Norne+Setsuna harmonic hero at some point, since the latter agreed to help teach the former, as I recall.

...Yeah, I stopped going through my posts when I hit page 18 of my profile's list of posts I made. I'll search for more specific things at a later time, like that fanmade supports thread.

Edited by Mercakete

1 hour ago, Deirdre an Bhróin said:

Your the guy from the CYL5 board! 
I’ll give these a read in a hot minute, I’m putting a tab on this one lol.

I’m happy to see this kind of “sketchbook” format thread. I thought of doing this some time ago, but gave up due to sheer embarrassment. I’d rather not expose myself lol. 

Even then, I can really admire you for making this kind of good “fan service” content, and for having the balls to post it, even if you don’t think it’s your best work.

I hope you receive the inspiration you need to proceed with this kind of post in the future. I’m genuinely interested in the works you have. 

Aww, thank you. 🙂 And I actually relate a lot to the embarrassment bit, but I guess what motivated me was seeing that people wanted to read what I wrote. That, and...well, I think I already explained the origin story of this thread at the top of the opening post. XD Ah, though it helped that this was all stuff I'd already written and posted in the past (so far, anyway) and it's nice to be able to find all this in one place, since these ideas make me happy, personally. XD

Anyway, thank you again! I hope you enjoy them. 🙂 And we'll see what else I put here!

1 hour ago, Deirdre an Bhróin said:

This was certainly a pleasure to read! I enjoy both the "fanservice" supports and the more "serious" ones, believing both to be written rather well! I think your good at presenting the ideas you have, as well as constructing ideas within the context of FE really well. I'll say it once more: This was a good read!

I envy that other can serve as your motivation. Even with pestering, I don't think I could put my "sketchbook" works out there. You works either way aren't something to undermine. I suppose the more you expose your works, the easier it is to put it out there. 

It's really good that you can put the little works your really passionate or simply happy about out there. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy these as you do, with me seemingly being one! I look forward to what you create in the future.

Aww, thank you so much! ^_^ I'm happy you enjoyed what I have up here so far.

And being motivated by others is kind of a double-edged sword, heh. It can be really discouraging when people tear down your work, whatever it may be. And if you don't get any responses from people, you tend to give up since being motivated by others means you have a hard time motivating yourself. But whatever motivates you, you'll have advantages and disadvantages from other people who are motivated by different things, so it's not like one method is superior to another. It's just important to find what helps you achieve what you want to, whatever that is. That way, you can feel satisfied with how you spend your time, and thus satisfied with yourself on the whole. Knowing yourself and then finding out how to use what you have to make up for what you don't have is really important, I think. It also lets you know where your limits are, and when it may be a good idea to ask other people for help.

Anyway, thanks for the support! And good luck with your own goals. It sounds like you want to post something like this of your own work. Don't do anything you'll regret, whether it be sharing your work, or keeping it to yourself when you wish you could share it with others. Weigh which one makes you feel worse, and then choose the opposite. At least, in this case. Obviously, there are other situations in which there's more than just that to consider, but it seems to me like, right now, for this choice, that's all you're struggling with. It's okay to be shy or private, and it's okay to prefer keeping stuff offline (it can even be wise!) but don't let fear control you. When people act out of fear (besides good, rational fear, like "don't set yourself on fire") it damages them, and can hurt other people, too. Be considerate, be wise, and be kind to both yourself and to others around you. 🙂

@Deirdre an Bhróin

I see. It's not a problem, really. ^_^ It's just that since you brought being uneasy about sharing your work up a couple times, it seemed like something you wanted to do, but were afraid to do. Whatever you decide is fine, as long as you give it careful thought and reach a conclusion you're happy with, really. I'm happy that what I had to say helped you to think through what you want to do with your work and the opportunity you have to post it. Again, whether you choose to keep it to yourself or share it with others, the important thing is that you do what will give you, personally, the least amount of regret. To me, that sounds like keeping it to yourself.

Like you, I'm a complex thinker. I make connections between many things in order to form a complete and complex whole in understanding. I have something that you claim to lack, though, and that is the ability to weigh out and discern what I want to share where. If that's the crux of what's causing you a mix of longing and anxiety, then that's what you need to put your efforts into resolving. I advise you think critically about a few, small, easy pieces, whether you share them here or even just with a trusted friend you know from offline. (There's more than two categories, here! It's not just "share" or "don't share," it's who you share with on what platform, too. Maybe there's something you don't want to put online, but you still want to show people. There are options for that!) Make small, easy choices. Those choices can even be what you're already doing: "This one is something I would rather keep to myself." Choice made! ^_^ If you do this, you'll begin to grow that skill until you can make bigger choices you're happy with on a larger scale. This is the most important thing to keep in mind, though: Don't force yourself to do anything you're worried you'll regret. If you're worried that sharing something big and complex will cause problems, then don't. If you have a piece you feel you really want to share with one or two friends, then do that. I've been on both sides of this: being so cautious that I feel I've missed out, and being super embarrassed because I shared too much. Don't rush it. Just take your time and the solution that's right for you for each opportunity will present itself to you naturally. 🙂

My only goal here in talking to you about this is to help resolve that clash you have inside you by giving you insights and ways of thinking about it that you perhaps hadn't thought of before. Whatever you decide -- even just to give it time, or to settle back into how you've already been handling it -- is perfectly fine by me. ^_^ Your voice is the only one that matters when it comes to deciding what to do with your work.

• 8 months later...

I don't feel like going back and editing so here's a banner I thought up that I want to exist.

Though, I would like to see a year where it's just different sorts of FE monsters. Like, we could have Cherche+Lute as revenants, Risen King Chrom, someone from Fates being a Stoneborn (maybe Izana for the giggles, or Rajat for REASONS), and...well, there are a lot of other options, like Alm or Boey being an entombed (we already have the sprite of one from the last Heroes Journey), Artur or Knoll being a bonewalker/deathgoyle/tarvos (there are seriously SO many options), or even Feh herself being a Mogall! It's not like FE doesn't have its own monsters, after all. Heck, we could fill multiple banners with this theme. But if I was to pick and choose...

- Cherche + Lute: Undead Admirers, dressed up as revenants. They'd talk about how cute they (themselves + revenants in general) look. Though revenants typically use claw attacks, I don't see these guys as a beast unit, so they can be a flying sword unit (because I don't see Minerva getting left behind. In fact, Minerva can be dressed up as a dracolitch.) These two would be the star of the banner.

- Artur: Rattled Bones. Dressed up as a bonewalker. Infantry green bow. He's mostly here to support Lute, but all the monster costumes has him nervous. (Demote)

- Chrom: Risen King. It's just a costume, and Chrom himself finds it a little unsettling, but he's doing this because he's doing his best to partake of the festival in the way it's intended to be partook of. Infantry (or Armored) lance unit.

- Rahjat: Stone Cold. Wearing a draping dress and on her head a large, sun-hat-like stone mask from a Stoneborn. Armored colorless tome. She's leaning fully into the monster-infested atmosphere, scaring people, and enjoying herself. Keeps being mistaken for Tharja by Chrom. Cherche knows better.

- TT+: Mogall Feh, red tome flier (yeah, right; like IS would actually give us Feh as a unit) Yukimura: Clockwork Puppeteer. He'd be dressed up to look like an automaton (not the little ones sent out in Fates, but a custom one that still clearly reads as "automaton"), riding that mechanical lion from the Mechanist class from Fates. Cavalry blue dagger. His attacks would be throwing little dolls styled after the automatons from Fates. What's so monstrous about this, you ask? Well, would YOU want a machine to suddenly gain sentience and start fighting stuff? Also, this would get him into the game in a fitting thematic way, and tie in with Rahjat so she's not the only Fates character in this event.

• 2 weeks later...

(For some reason, I can't edit my last post, so...)

Again, I don't feel like editing the opening post, but I found that fan-made support conversation thread. I'll just copy and paste here what I wrote there, but please bear in mind that I wrote all these like...in 2018 or 2019.

Hrid x Leavateinn supports

Spoiler

Hrid x Laevatein C

Laevatein: ...

Hrid: Oh. Princess Laevatein.

Laevatein: … Prince Hird.

Hrid: How...have you been?

Laevatein: I have followed every command the summoner has issued me since coming here. The summoner seems satisfied with my work.

Hrid: That's not really what I meant... I meant you, personally. It is not only Nifl that needs to rebuild. Now that we are at peace, the task of restoring our kingdoms fall to us. It is a trying task, and it can be a difficult burden.

Laevatein: I am not a ruler. I am a weapon. I feel nothing. I only act. *leaves*

Hrid: Princess-! … Sigh.

Hrid x Laevatein B

Hrid: Princess Laevatein.

Laevatein: You again.

Hrid: Please, Princess, hear what I have to say.

Laevatein: … I'm listening.

Hrid: Thank you. I didn't mean to upset you before. I was only trying to ensure you were doing well. Muspell is your home, and it is suffering. Your father and your sister are gone... It cannot be easy.

Laevatein: I am a weapon. I do not feel.

Hrid: Right... Well, I wanted to formally offer the support of Nifl in Muspell's restoration. It is my hope that by recovering along side one another that our countries' wounds will heal that much faster, and that a bond may yet grow between our people.

Laevatein: Do what you will. My only role is to follow orders, and right now I follow the orders of the summoner. Excuse me. *leaves*

Hrid: Hmm...

Hrid x Laevatein A

Hrid: Princess.

Laevatein: Prince Hrid.

Hrid: I have been thinking about what you said before. About you simply being a weapon... I'm not sure I believe you.

Laevatein: My blade bears the same name as me. We are one.

Hrid: Your sister protected you to the end, didn't she? She died for you.

Hrid: She loved you very much...and I believe that you also loved her.

Hrid: You fill your time with what you know. You claim you are nothing but a weapon - that you have no feelings. But in actuality, you are trying to escape the pain you feel from losing her: the one you loved so much.

Laevatein: Stop...

Hrid: Hm?

Laevatein: Stop accusing me of such things! I am Laevatein, the blade that cuts when commanded - nothing more! I will not feel!

Hrid: The sooner you accept your feelings, the sooner you can heal, Princess of Muspell. Ignore them, and they will steadily destroy you.

Laevatein: Ignorant prince! I've told you many times - I do not feel! *leaves*

Hrid: ...

Hrid x Laevatein S

Hrid: Princess Laevatein? I had thought you had enough of me.

Laevatein: I spoke with the summoner. Prince Hrid of Nifl… You are a hypocrite.

Hrid: I'm...not sure I understand.

Laevatein: I've been watching you. You've been working day and night between organizing Nifl and Muspell's restoration and assisting with the tasks the summoner gives you here in the Order of Heroes. You're working yourself to the bone, trying to ensure everyone else is taken care of. Including me...

Hrid: I understand that the flames your father spread have hurt many people. It is my duty to see those wounds healed.

Laevatein: You accused me of running from my pain. I accuse you of the same.

Hrid: What?

Laevatein: You are filling your time with assisting everyone else so that you don't have to think about your mother or your sister, aren't you?

Hrid: … I...didn't think that I was, but...you may be right. I failed to protect them...all of them... I must live with that failure.

Laevatein: I am the same. Laegjarn… My sister... … She died because of me. Because of my failure. ... That is the truth. She protected me. I couldn't protect her.

Hrid: Princess Laegjarn… Gunnthra… They were stronger than both of us.

Hrid: … Princess Laevatein.

Laevatein: Yes?

Hrid: Let's grow stronger together. Let's become as strong as our honorable, fallen sisters were and make them proud to call us their siblings. I will do what I can to assist you, and you will do what you can to assist me, in both rulership and in strength of arms. We will rebuild Nifl and Muspell together, and protect everyone our sisters died for.

Laevatein: Pactbound allies?

Hrid: For now, at the very least. I would not be opposed to this developing into a closer, more personal relationship in the future, however. I know I am not very..."warm and fuzzy," but I hope I am not too off-putting. Speaking on an emotional level has never been easy for me. I admire your dedication and straightforwardness. Your perception to what I was really going through is likewise impressive. And on a practical level- ... Princess? You...suddenly look flushed.

Laevatein: E-emotions...are difficult...

Hrid: Hahaha! That they are.

I wish there was just one more support level. It was hard to get that to fit into just 4. I think I represented the characters okay, though.

If Askran Jake was a thing x Anna + Jake's recruitment.

Spoiler

(Askran) Anna x (New OC! Askran) Jake - Recruitment

Jake: Um, hello?

Anna: Hello, there. Welcome to the Order of Heroes! Is there anything I can help you with?

Jake: Oh! Yes. I would like to register as a soldier in this army.

Anna: The Order of Heroes actually functions separately from the Askran army. Are you sure you're in the right place?

Jake: Yes, I know. I wanted to sign up for the Order of Heroes, not become a soldier as an occupation. I already have a career going elsewhere. It's just that the damage Muspell caused affected all of Askr, and I want to do what I can to aid in the restoration. I see it as a responsibility to my home country in addition to helping business all-around when I return home.

Anna: I see. You sure sound like you have a good set of ethics. If you don't mind my asking, what's your regular job?

Jake: Oh, uh... It's a little embarrassing to be talking about that so early into my registration, but I guess it can't be helped. You see, I'm the son of a tycoon, and ever since I can remember, I've been trained in running the family business. I was just about to take over for my father when Muspell invaded. It took everyone to manage the damages during that time, and, well, I guess you could say that I'm still performing that task by signing up for the Order of Heroes.

Anna: Reeeally? A tycoon, you say? Are you any good at the family business?

Jake: I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but the simple facts are that everyone who's ever tutored me says that I have an unusually good business sense. Every exercise they gave me, I'd perform above their expectations. Oh! But if you're worried, you don't need to be; that may be what I'm the best at, but it's not my only skill. I'm also trained in archery. Though, I have to admit, I'm not so great at facing down an axe. They kind of intimidate me...

Anna: That's good to know, but you shouldn't be fighting anyone like that anyway. Being an archer, you'd be on the back lines. Okay... There! All registered, except for one thing.

Jake: Oh? What's that?

Anna: Your name.

Jake: Oh! Right; sorry. I guess I'm just a bit nervous. It's Jake.

Anna: Well, Jake, welcome to the Order of Heroes!

Jake: Thanks! I'll do my best to be an asset to the team.

Anna x Jake C

Anna: Hello, Jake!

Jake: Oh! Commander Anna! H-hello...

Anna: Hm? Something wrong?

Jake: N-no... I'm just... Whew! I've never worked so hard in my life! At archery and...physical training exercises, anyway...

Anna: Well, I guess that makes sense. You're not exactly a trained soldier, so this will take some getting used-to.

Jake: Yeah...

Anna: Well, as your commander, it's my job to make sure you're ready for the battlefield. So, let me think about it and I'll come back later with a way to make your training even more efficient! Take care! *leaves*

Jake: Brr… Something about that glint in her eye sent a shiver down my spine...

Anna x Jake B

Anna: Jake!

Jake: AAAH!

Anna: Hm? What's with that reaction? Oh! Tehee! Don't worry, Jake. No axe this time. You sure ran a lot faster when I chased you down with it during training, today, though.

Jake: I thought I was going to die... Every time I fell behind, you'd swing it at me... You nearly lopped off my head with that thing! Three times!

Anna: Hahahaha! Well, some combat simulation was good for you. Your performance went up by a whopping 28%!

Jake: It...IS hard to argue with numbers like those...

Anna: Ah, that reminds me! Jake, you have a good business sense, right?

Jake: I'd like to think so.

Anna: Well, the order's been having a bit of monetary trouble. I'm not asking for a handout; we need to be able to stand on our own. But I had an idea to earn a little extra money that I wanted to run by you.

Jake: Oh! Now there's a subject I'm confident in! Okay, Commander, I'm all ears.

Anna x Jake A

Anna: Jake! Jake!

Jake: What is it? Did you invent ANOTHER "get rich quick" scheme?

Anna: Of course not. I may have been a little far-reaching with the last 47 ideas, but THIS one is fool-proof!

Jake: Sigh... Commander. I'm happy to do my part as a bowman in this army, but I just can't be a part of these frankly asinine ideas of yours. Most of them require too much investment without enough guaranteed profit, a good deal of them rely on too small of a potential consumer pool, and just about each one violates the ethics of the people you assume will contribute.

Anna: Violates the ethics-? Name one!

Jake: When you tried to use that magic book to record the image of every hero in a swimsuit.

Anna: Well, that...

Jake: Anna, you can't see people as the road that leads to profit. Your business should serve people, not the other way around. No one with good business sense would invest in an idea like that, especially if they're contributing as the model and are uncomfortable with people staring at their image. You need to take these things into account if you're going to think of a good idea.

Anna: Well, how would YOU propose we make money?

Jake: Hmm... Well, the first idea that comes to mind is to set up a donations fund for the restoration of Askr. Muspell hurt a lot of people when they invaded, so it's a cause that just about everyone in Askr would want to support. Being honest about our monetary limitations provides incentive for them to donate, too, while informing them what, specifically, their money would be used for. It takes a lot of money to feed and house an army of this size, let alone taking into account weapon, armor, and facility maintenance. If we open up to the public, our cause will become theirs.

Anna: I see... Mm-hmm... Right! And we can prioritize helping the people who donate, and let those who don't take care of their problems themselves!

Jake: That's not- … No, Anna. No.

Anna x Jake S

Anna: Wow, Jake, you were right! Keeping things simple and working with the resources you already have really DOES work! We haven't run out of food for WEEKS!

Jake: It's all about being efficient. You already run an operation, here. Spread yourself too thin and nothing will get done.

Anna: Ever since you took over the order's budgeting and expenses, operations have been going much more smoothly! Well done!

Jake: Thank you. The toughest part, really, was just wrestling the finances notes from you...

Anna: Ahaha...

Jake: It seems like the heroes' martial operations have been running more smoothly, too. You really are better suited to be a commander than a treasurer. In the end, I'd attribute the order's recent success to you.

Anna: Well, on the military side of things, I guess.

Jake: No, I meant overall. You knew when to delegate the financial responsibilities to someone else. That's part of being a good leader...even if you did need a little convincing.

Anna: Hehe! Well, I guess we're both doing well at our jobs.

Jake: S-sort of... I try to keep up on my training, but I still fall far behind everyone else under your command.

Anna: It's like you said: "Spread yourself too thin and nothing will get done." You do a lot more for the order as the accountant than as a soldier anyway.

Jake: Thank you, Commander...I think.

Anna: "Commander," huh? It's been a while since you've called me that.

Jake: Oh! R-really?

Anna: You've been calling me "Anna" recently...and I like that much better than "Commander." From you, anyway.

Jake: Oh... It's...not too familiar?

Anna: No. In fact, I would like to get closer to you, Jake. Maybe when things settle down, I could visit your company?

Jake: I would like that...Anna.

Lon'qu x Florina

Spoiler

Lon'qu x Florina C

Florina: L-let's see... The summoner said that I should go this way... Eek!

Lon'qu: What?!

Florina: I-I'm s-sorry! I should've been paying better attention to where I was going!

Lon'qu: I-it's fine...

Florina: Um...! I-I'd better get going, now! *she hurries off*

Lon'qu: Grunt... … Now, where is that new teammate? He was supposed to be here by now...

Lon'qu x Florina B

Lon'qu: You again...

Florina: Yes... I'm sorry... I was so nervous that I ran off without thinking...

Lon'qu: What do you mean?

Florina: I was supposed to join your team the other day.

Lon'qu: … You're the new teammate?

Florina: Y-yes...

Lon'qu: … Okay, I guess. Just...stay away from me. … Far away from me.

Florina: Oh... Um... Okay...

Lon'qu x Florina A

Florina: I'm so sorry!

Lon'qu: What now?

Florina: I know I was supposed to stay away from you. I'm sorry!

Lon'qu: You saved my life.

Florina: Well...

Lon'qu: I may not feel comfortable around women, but if you hadn't caught me when that soldier forced me off that cliff, I wouldn't be here anymore. So...thanks.

Florina: Of course! But, um... You're...uncomfortable around women?

Lon'qu: Very.

Florina: Oh... This whole time, I thought you were mad at me for bumping into you when we first met. You can be...so scary...

Lon'qu: Scary?

Florina: I...guess that it doesn't help that I get nervous around men...

Lon'qu: You get nervous around men? ...Heh.

Florina: Huh?

Lon'qu: Somehow, that makes me feel a little better. You don't like being around men, and I don't like being around women. We make each other nervous...but in a way, we have a sort of kinship, too.

Florina: Yeah... I guess you're right. Though you still make me nervous, it's...not so bad anymore. And I don't dislike you, either.

Lon'qu: Likewise.

Lon'qu x Florina S

Lon'qu: Florina, you did well out there today.

Florina: Thanks! You were great, too. I can't help but think about how much better we fight when we work together, now. We're completely in sync!

Lon'qu: Yes... About that...

Florina: Hm? Is something wrong? Oh, are we talking too much? I understand that we both can only handle talking to each other for so long before-

Lon'qu: No. That's not it.

Florina: Oh. U-um... Your face...

Lon'qu: Sigh... Florina...

Florina: Oh! L-Lon'qu? W-why-? I-isn't it hard t-to hug me like this? You're trembling...

Lon'qu: So are you. I'm sorry; that was rash and insensitive of me. It's just that...Florina, I feel like I can trust you with anything and everything. Even though we make each other uncomfortable, there's a deeper trust between us than I have ever known. And...my feelings have grown, too. You make me so nervous...but you make me feel strong, too. Florina...I... Th-that is, I...

Florina: I-it's okay, Lon'qu. I... I know how you feel...because I feel the same way.

Lon'qu: You do?

Florina: Mm-hm. Lon'qu, I... I think I'm in love with you. No, I know it. You're different from any other man from any other world. Around you I...I feel safe.

Lon'qu: Florina... That's exactly how I feel about you. I want to spend more time with you... A lot more.

Florina: Then let's stay together for as long as we can. From now on.

Duma x Legendary Tiki (Don't worry, it's not creepy)

Spoiler

Duma x Legendary Tiki C

Duma: Hm? This feeling... There is something powerful nearby...

L!Tiki: Hmm... Mumble...

Duma: A child? She is asleep... Hmm... There is no mistaking it. This child is remarkably powerful, and holds astonishing potential. She may be worth watching...

Duma x Legendary Tiki B

L!Tiki: Yaaawn… Hmm? Oh. It's you.

Duma: Yes. Hello, Tiki.

L!Tiki: Hello... Was there something you wanted to tell me? You watch me quite often on the battlefield.

Duma: Yes. I want to foster the potential you hold.

L!Tiki: My...potential?

Duma: You are already quite powerful, but I sense that you could become more powerful still. Undoubtedly, those you come across view you as a simple child due to your youthful appearance. I do not. I see beyond your diminutive stature and your childlike visage. Indeed, under the right supervision, your power may yet one day match my own.

L!Tiki: You...really think so?

Duma: I do not jest about such things.

L!Tiki: Wow... That's incredible to think about...

Duma: Your surprise is understandable, but that is what I see in you. Will you allow me to bring your true power to bear?

L!Tiki: This is all rather sudden... Would you mind if I slept on it?

Duma: You sleep quite often. I would be surprised if you didn't.

Duma x Legendary Tiki A

L!Tiki: Hello, Mr. Duma.

Duma: Tiki. Have you reached a decision regarding my offer?

L!Tiki: Mmm... I don't know... What you said before was really amazing. It's hard to believe that I could really be as strong as you one day.

Duma: As I said, I do not jest about such things.

L!Tiki: Oh, I'm not doubting that you really meant it! That's part of what makes it so hard to imagine. I'm taking this very seriously.

Duma: Well, then? What have you decided?

L!Tiki: It's really an amazing offer...

Duma: What is holding you back?

L!Tiki: Well... Getting stronger is useful, but...after thinking about it very hard for a very long time, I realized that it's not what I really want the most.

Duma: And what is it that you want the most?

L!Tiki: My friends. I always want to keep all of my friends close to me. I never want to be alone... When I look inside my heart, that's what I want the most.

Duma: I see...

L!Tiki: Being strong can help keep my friends safe - I know that. But...agreeing to train with you would take me away from them, wouldn't it? And I don't know how long that would be for... Humans live such short lives... I would rather spend every moment I can with them for as long as possible.

Duma: So, that is your decision... I understand.

L!Tiki: I'm sorry...

Duma: The choice is yours to make. I will not force you to spend what time you have chasing a goal that is not yours. To do so would be an even greater waste of time. Now that you have rejected my offer, there is no reason for me to remain here. *leaves*

L!Tiki: Mr. Duma...

Duma x Legendary Tiki S (Don't worry; it's platonic)

L!Tiki: Mr. Duma!

Duma: Hm? Have you reconsidered my offer?

L!Tiki: No, that's not it. It's just that...when you left, the other day, you looked so sad...

Duma: Did I?

L!Tiki: Yes. To me you did, anyway...

Duma: You must have imagined it. As I said, it would be a waste of time for me to attempt to bring someone along the path to strength if he or she does not choose it. Even if I believe it would be better for you to learn from me, I will not force you to.

L!Tiki: But I do want to learn from you!

Duma: What?

L!Tiki: I don't want to dedicate my life to becoming the strongest, but that doesn't mean I don't want to learn from you. I learn all sorts of things all the time from my friends.

Duma: Are...you implying that you wish to be my...friend?

L!Tiki: Of course! I already consider you a friend. You want to help me become the best I can be. Isn't that what a friend is?

Duma: I...suppose so...

L!Tiki: And even if I don't dedicate my life to it, I can still learn from you and become stronger. I'd really like that! And I already told you that I want to always have all of my friends with me. If you went away... That would be so sad...

Duma: Heh... What a strange prospective. In some ways, you remind me of my sister, Mila. Both in your appearance, and in what you value. I did not consider it before, but...perhaps, when you made your choice, it was like losing her again. Perhaps I was a bit sad because of that...

L!Tiki: Hehe! We really are alike! You're just like me, wanting to keep the people you love close to you.

Duma: I...am? Hmm... That does not sound...entirely false...

L!Tiki: I'm so happy! Let's always stay close to one another! Mr. Duma, could I look at you as my big brother?

Duma: Heh... I do not see any harm in that.

Fallen Berkut x Groom Marth

Spoiler

Fallen Berkut x Groom Marth C

Marth: Prince Berkut! Hello!

Berkut: Prince Marth.

Marth: How are you today?

Berkut: ... Why? What bearing on you could how I am feeling today possibly have?

Marth: Oh?

Berkut: Suddenly at a loss for words, Prince of Altea?

Marth: No, I just did not expect your question. You certainly can be to the point! Haha!

Berkut: A virtue which I wish you would also display. Enough foolishness; tell me what you wish to say, unless you are that eager to offer yourself to Kriemhild.

Marth: Oh my. What a dark sense of humor! It is no wonder you have having such difficulty...

Berkut: What?

Marth: I...do not wish to discourage you, but, well... I noticed that you are oft alone. And, your behavior is...not entirely uplifting to those around you.

Berkut: If anyone has any problems with me, then they can set aside their cowardice and speak to me directly. As for my behavior "uplifting" those around me, that is not my concern. I can be relied upon in battle. That is all that matters.

Marth: I don't think so... If you scare your allies off, who will help you when you're in danger?

Berkut: I am perfectly capable of helping myself, Prince Marth. If that is all, then leave me in peace.

Marth: Prince Berkut...

Fallen Berkut x Groom Marth B

Marth: Ah, there you are, friend!

Berkut: "Friend?"

Marth: Yes! I decided it the other day: it is not good for someone to be alone. So, I will be your friend!

Berkut: I do not need any friends.

Marth: Of course you do! Everyone needs friends!

Berkut: I believe we have discussed this before. I need only my strength in this world. Relying upon bonds with other people is a waste of time, and brings with it atrophy and betrayal. You, yourself, would be better-served relying on your own power than on these "friends" of yours.

Marth: Hrm... I...I see... Yes, sometimes friendships don't...pan out as we would hope. But that does not mean that it is worth giving up on those who stand beside you.

Berkut: Do as you will, and regret the choices you make when the deceit of others leave you hollow and their blades find a home in your back. I care not. But do not expect me to do the same.

Marth: I...cannot and will not force you to trust me. However, I will not betray you, Prince Berkut. And I will prove it to you.

Berkut: Ha! We will see. Either way, you cannot be relied upon. I will look after myself, as always.

Fallen Berkut x Groom Marth A

Marth: Prince Berkut! What a surprise that you would be the one to seek me out!

Berkut: It is no wonder that Michalis detests you so... This incessant cheer is grating...

Marth: What was that?

Berkut: Nothing. I came to ask you to stay out of my way in future battles.

Marth: Huh? Was I in your way?

Berkut: In the last battle, you would barely stray five feet from my side. Because that, I could not maneuver as easily as I otherwise could have. I did not need you there, I did not want you there, and you were even injured for your efforts.

Marth: Yes, I did find that odd... That fireball did not strike me, and yet...it was as though some sort of fell magic sapped my strength.

Berkut: That was Kriemhild.

Marth: What?

Berkut: My lance, powered by Lord Duma's gift. As I expected, you could not handle being so close when that power was unleashed.

Marth: Oh... So, you're saying that...you cannot be around your allies for that reason? Because they would be harmed by your power if they stood too close while you fought?

Berkut: Do not presume that I keep my distance for anyone's sake but my own, idealistic fool. Power is the only thing in this life which will not deceive nor betray me. I believe that firmly...and so, it is the only thing which I will lean upon.

Marth: I see... But such a life must be so lonely. Have you no one you love?

Berkut: That is enough. I will humor your incessant prattle no longer. Stay by my side and suffer or leave me in peace. Whatever happens, you have only yourself to blame.

Fallen Berkut x Groom Marth S (Warning: Shadows of Valentia spoilers)

Marth: Do you know why I wear this outfit?

Berkut: Prince Marth. You look so serious today...and what an odd thing to begin a conversation with.

Marth: I decided to get to the point immediately this time. I was worried that if I didn't, it would remain unsaid.

Berkut: Hmph. Well, to answer your question, I have a limited knowledge of your outfit's purpose. It appears to be wedding attire, but you wear it far too regularly for that. Likewise, some of the others wear similar clothing. It is for a festival which takes place as spring changes to summer, does it not?

Marth: Yes; that is it exactly. You see, the festival celebrates the love that people hold for one another, and weddings in particular. There is someone I love very much, you see...

Berkut: Is there a point to this?

Marth: Yes. It is quite clear that you have been hurt in the past. It makes you reluctant to trust the allies you have around you in the present. And, the other day, when I asked if there was anyone you loved-

Berkut: That is quite enough! What business of yours is my past?!

Marth: The business of an ally who wishes to rely upon you on the field of battle and the business of a concerned friend!

Berkut: You are NOT my friend!

Marth: You have made your reluctance abundantly clear, Prince Berkut! But whether you would like to admit it or not, you are in dire need of a friend, and I cannot simply sit by and watch! Please, Berkut... Tell me what happened to the one you love.

Berkut: You wish to know that badly? Fine. I killed her.

Marth: ... What?

Berkut: To achieve victory, I threw Rinea into the flames. I sacrificed her soul to Lord Duma to be consumed, so that I might kill my hated foe! He took...everything...from me. All my life, I was told nothing but lies... I was to be the next emperor? Ha! My uncle never intended to give me the crown! I strove for recognition, achieved victory after victory, and my uncle, Emperor Rudolf, would not so much as look at me! All because he already planned to give everything I had worked for to another! So, in light of this, Prince Marth, tell me... What worth do bonds have? What is the value of years of life lived together? Heh... Wipe away that pathetic expression. Why the sorrow? Reality can be harsh on ideals. Everything I strove for - everything I lived for was in vain. It came to nothing... But now... Now, I have true power. And unlike so-called friends or allies, it will not betray me.

Marth: ... Is that...all?

Berkut: ... What?

Marth: Is that truly all that you feel? All that you desire? Military might? Victory in battle? There is nothing else that you wish for?

Berkut: What do you mean?

Marth: You seem especially hurt when the topic of love is brought up. I don't believe that you only care about strength. You miss Rinea, don't you?

Berkut: You had best still your tongue, Prince Marth, while you still have it.

Marth: I do not mean to bring up past hurts, Prince Berkut. But how can you heal if you allow your wounds to fester? Please understand. To me, you are a valued ally, and I wish to see your heart mended one day. Seeing someone suffer, writhing in such agony... I cannot bear it.

Berkut: Then look away, soft-hearted fool. Cling to friendships, surround yourself with smiling faces, turn a blind eye to their deceptive natures, and die bewildered at the hands of your allies. I have been gifted the only thing I can trust in this world: power. I will kill, and kill, and become stronger yet. And I will never be deceived again. To that end, you may rely on me. I will see the enemies of this army slain...but trust me or anyone else further than that at your own peril.

Marth: I understand, Prince Berkut. And whatever you think, you can rely on me.

I also had some ideas back then for writing an Oscar x Palla (green, responsible eldest siblings) support conversation and an Ewan x Delthea (energetic young mages with an elder sibling each) support conversation. Maybe I'll write those up one day.

I also made a male-only version of FEH's main story up through book 4 and decided not to bother checking to see if I already have it in this thread (I don't think I do.) Here it is. I'll also link to the thread where I originally wrote it because there's some discourse on it there.

Spoiler

For now, here's a hypothetical scenario that may be fun to think about: what if none of the female characters in Heroes existed? I'm talking, in the game's main story. For the sake of argument, Kiran will be treated as male here.

Book 1. (No Anna, Sharena, or Veronika.)

Being the sole heir to the Emblian Empire, Prince Bruno remained at home, only stealing away every now and again. On one of these trips, he met and befriended Alfonse, the prince of the rival kingdom of Askr. Not wanting to put his friendship at risk, he kept his identity a secret from Alfonse, instead calling himself Zacharias, and claiming to have come from a different world. Alfonse believed the story. The two continued to meet as often as they could, but Bruno had to return home every time. One day, Zacharias stopped showing up. Alfonse became worried for his friend, but didn't know where to look for him. And so he closed his heart to heroes from other worlds, not wanting to go through that pain again.

Some time later, Embla declared war on Askr, and Alfonse took up the mantle of commander of the Order of Heroes in order to repel this threat. However, there were many foes. Being a student of history, Alfonse had an idea, remembering a tale of a legendary summoner. He went to the legendary weapon that was said to summon this summoner, and performed the rite used to call for the legendary hero. And so, the summoner, Kiran, appeared, wielding the legendary weapon Briedalblik (which I probably misspelt) and summoned heroes from other worlds to aid in the defense of Askr.

As they fought side by side, Alfonse struggled with his feelings. He felt a bond growing between himself and Kiran, but he was afraid of it. Each time, he remembered the pain from when Zacharias disappeared. The same would undoubtedly happen with this summoner, too. One day, he would have to return to his home, and they would never see each other again.

Finally, the time came when the leader of the Emblian army himself appeared on the battlefield. Alfonse could hardly believe it. He recognized Zacharias instantly. Full of incredulation, he asked why he was attacking Askr on the side of the Emblians. Possessed by his vengeful blood, the Emblian prince revealed his true identity to Alfonse. In the end, Alfonse was so filled with shock and dismay that he couldn't bring himself to even raise his sword in self-defense. Commanding the heroes he had summoned, Kiran took over to defend Alfonse, and the Emblians were forced to retreat. Hurt and confused, Alfonse took some time to himself to process the revelation. Kiran took over command of the Order of Heroes during this time.

As he spent some time to himself, Alfonse began to realize that Zacharias -- or rather, Bruno -- was acting very strangely. At first, he questioned whether this was Bruno's true aim during their time as friends, but that didn't make any sense. There had been numerous times when Bruno could have struck him down during their time together. He realized that something was influencing his friend. With renewed vigor, Alfonse scoured the royal library for what could have caused all this, and discovered information about a curse which was on the Emblian royalty, which compelled them to kill the Askran royalty. It was the influence of a great, dark power.

Knowing that once Bruno came to his senses the fighting would cease, Alfonse shifted his focus from fighting Embla to saving Bruno, and asked Kiran to continue defending Askr in his place. Kiran agreed, and Alfonse set out to find a way to remove the curse from Bruno, saving his friend and ending the war.

Book 2. (No Gunnthra, Fjorm, Leavateinn, Laegjarn, Helbindi's sister, Ylgr, or Loki. Nifl doesn't exist, but her power does.)

First, Alfonse planned to visit the lands of Nifl and Muspell in search of answers. These two countries were founded by those blessed by the dragons of the same names, just as Askr and Embla were. However, as he traveled through Nifl, he saw destruction everywhere. Pristine snow was melted and old trees were charred. It didn't take long to realize that Nifl was losing in its own war, and it was easy to figure out who was making it its conquest. Alfonse confirmed his theory with a group of Niflian refugees he met. After much searching, Alfonse finally found a Niflian war camp hidden in the snowy woodland. The soldiers there took him to their commander: Prince Hrid.

The Niflian prince was clearly worse for wear, tolerating old and fresh burn scars, but maintaining an air of strength and composure. He eyed Alfonse with distrust, however, and demanded to know who he was. Alfonse answered truthfully, and expressed his sympathy for the state of things in Nifl, comparing it with his own country's ongoing defense against Embla's conquest. He also admitted that their state was a better one than Nifl's. Hrid didn't believe Alfonse, however. "If Askr is under siege, then what would its prince be doing here?" Alfonse then explained the situation, including Bruno's curse and that he was seeking answers while someone capable and trusted handled the defense of Askr. Alfonse offered to help Hrid in his defense of Nifl, but Hrid didn't see how that would do much for them. He said that if he could find information on the Emblian curse, then he was free to it, but he should not put himself in jeopardy for the sake of another kingdom. Hrid claimed that Alfonse's duty was to Askr, as its prince, just as his own duty was to Nilf, as its prince...and only remaining royal.

As it turned out, the Niflian army was in shambles. They were forced to use guerilla tactics even within their own homeland, there were so few of them left. They had located and clashed against Surtr, the King of Muspell, on several occasions, but each time only a handful of their forces escaped. Time and again, Hrid himself had barely escaped the Fires of Muspell. Hrid warned Alfonse not to become Surtr's enemy if he could help it, especially with Askr already under attack from Embla. The cost would be many Askran lives, if not the destruction of the country. As for Hrid and his soldiers, they would continue to fight with the aim of winning their own war, no matter how bleak it looked. Hrid also mentioned possibly seeking out a temple of ice in order to imbue his sword with the power of the dragon Nifl, in order to be on more even footing against Surtr, who undoubtedly had imbued his own weapon with power from the dragon Muspell. Movement was difficult, however, and he wanted to avoid performing the rite if he could, as it would take his life in the end and someone still had to rule Nifl once they had peace again.

Alfonse admitted that Hrid's words held wisdom, but he still wanted to help. As Hrid had said, he was a neutral party, and so movement would be easier for him. And, in all honesty, his own goal was apart from the Nifl-Muspell war, and so he could reasonably seek answers from the Muspellians as well. In fact, he planned on doing that. Alfonse told Hrid that if he could find any advantage to Nifl that he would return with it. Hrid agreed to the terms, albeit uneasily, and thanked Alfonse for what he was willing to do. Then, Alfonse left in search of a Muspellian camp.

Unfortunately for Alfonse, he was found and captured by Muspellian soldiers before he could properly approach one of their camps as a traveler. The soldiers took him to their commander in the area: a man named Helbindi. Helbindi was harsh and unrefined, but he heard Alfonse out. Though Alfonse didn't reveal his identity this time, he did say that he was a traveler from Askr, and that he was concerned about the Emblian prince's condition. He expressed his belief that if he could find a cure for the Emblian prince's curse, that the warring in Askr and Embla would come to a peaceful end without the need for any more bloodshed, and that that was why he was here. Of course, Helbindi didn't know anything about any Emblian curses, but he did find the story curious. He admitted that he didn't like their king's choices, either. Though his subordinates fearfully warned Helbindi about speaking against the king, Helbindi shouted them down, claiming that he didn't care about what the man thought anymore. Helbindi told Alfonse that he was against this war, and that he didn't like the orders they were being given. He didn't like how the Niflians were being treated, and that even people who couldn't defend themselves were attacked and killed. He even admitted that Surtr ruled the people of Muspell itself with cruelty.

Incredulous, Alfonse asked why Helbindi was fighting for such a cruel king. Helbindi's answer was simple: he didn't want to die. In Muspell, poverty was rampant. Being a soldier was one of the few ways folk could support themselves and their families. Aloud, Alfonse wondered if that was by design -- if Surtr had arranged things so that his people would willingly join his army in order to invade Nifl. Helbindi agreed that was likely the case, now that he thought about it. Alfonse expressed his distaste for such tactics, and suggested that the Muspellians would be better off without such a king. Frustrated, Helbindi agreed. He declared that he'd had enough and wasn't going to tolerate Surtr's rule anymore. He didn't like all the suffering it caused, whether to Niflians or to Muspellians. Alfonse quickly warned Helbindi against being heard by loyalists, then suggested a plan.

In the end, the plan worked. Helbindi found like-minded Muspellians in the army and formed a secret group of dissenters. Alfonse found Hrid again and told him of the plot. Over time, Helbindi and his growing, secret group would filter into the unit King Surtr himself led until they had replaced all of the soldiers assigned to that unit. Then, after that was complete, Hrid and his soldiers would ambush Surtr, beginning their assault as usual. However, this time, Surtr would be surrounded by those who sympathized with Nifl or were at least against Surtr. At that moment, they would turn against Surtr, and with their combined forces, the King of Flame would be killed.

Hrid admitted that Alfonse had helped them far more than he ever would have dreamed, but that there was still the problem of Surtr being guarded by the power of the Fire Dragon Muspell. If no one could damage him, then no matter how many people they threw at Surtr, they could not win. Nifl guarded her realm, but she died long ago. That was why she, who loved tranquility, did not defend the land which bore her name against the Muspellian invaders. Her power still remained at the temple of ice, however, and could imbue a weapon to pierce the blessing of flames. However, it was a potent, frosty power and could not be fully controlled by a mere human. Over time, it would overcome the human who wielded it, costing that human his or her life. That said, it was the only way to save Nifl from the tyranny of King Surtr. Hrid would not allow his people to suffer as the Muspellians did if they were conquered. It was a grim thing to decide, but Hrid chose to travel to the temple of ice. There, he performed the Rite of Frost, taking Nifl's power into his sword. Even immediately after the rite, Hrid felt his body become much colder than what it used to be. He had an unshakable chill...but he would not allow that to overcome him. Everything was finally set. As soon as the Muspellian dissenters were ready, they would strike.

The day came. King Surtr was walking through Nifl in search of refugees to offer to Muspell in order to renew the Rite of Flames. His group met with an ambush, and Prince Hrid announced himself. Surtr was giddy at the thought of offering a son of Nifl as a sacrifice to Muspell. He declared how he looked forward to watching Hrid writhe as his flesh burnt away, along with the last of Nifl's hope. But then, Surtr's own soldiers turned against him. Niflian and Muspellian alike attacked King Surtr. He lashed out with his scythe, laughing, claiming to be invincible as he scattered his foes like ash. But then, something cold and sharp pierced through his heat-radiating form. A deadly chill began to spread within him, cooling the flames of his power until they were burnt out. Hrid's sword, which held the power of Nifl, had pierced straight through him. Muspell's power left Surtr, and Nifl's froze the impaled man from the inside out. Hrid removed his sword, and Surtr's body thudded to the ground. First, there was a sense of surrealism. And then, it began to settle in among the soldiers that they had won. The war was over, Surtr was no more, and both kingdoms could begin the rebuild.

As the soldiers celebrated, Alfonse went to check on Hrid. Hrid admitted that he was cold and tired, but he was otherwise fine. He thanked Alfonse for his help in securing freedom for Nifl and Muspell, and told him that he was welcome to the libraries in both countries' palaces and anywhere else he may find information on the Emblain curse. Still concerned since Hrid had been living with the side effects of the Rite of Frost for about a week now, Alfonse asked Hrid how long he thought he had until he was taken by Nifl's power. Hrid admitted that he did not know, but that he intended to work hard to get things settled in Muspell and Nifl both with what time he had left. Because Muspell had no more royalty in place, and because soon Nifl would likewise lose its last royal, he wanted to establish a cooperative relationship between the two countries' peoples, and find new leaders to rule when he succumbed to the frosty power. Alfonse expressed that he hoped that new leaders would not be necessary for a long time, and thanked him for leave to search for a solution to the Emblian curse.

And so, Alfonse took up temporary residence in Nifl's castle, and attendants from both Nifl and Muspell helped him with his research to speed up the process.

Book 3. (No Eir, Hel, Henriette, or Thrasir.)

Meanwhile, back in Askr, Kiran continued to bolster the forces of the Order of Heroes and lead them while King Gustav himself led the Askran army in the defense of his people. Gustav, the King of Askr, would question Kiran at times as to where his son was, but Kiran himself did not know. Gustav could not help but worry, and that led to frustration at Alfonse's impetuousness. Alfonse was the future King of Askr, and yet he was treating his life so trivially? Indeed, for Gustav, the worries of a parent were mingled with worry for his people after his own time had passed. Would his son even be alive to lead them when that time came?

The defense against Embla was a defensive one. Kiran had already explained the situation of the Prince of Embla to the King of Askr, and Gustav reluctantly agreed that if the Emblian curse could be broken that that would be the ideal solution. And so he trusted in the legendary summoner and in Alfonse, though something inside of him warned of some unseen threat.

One day, while he was studying, a Niflian messenger came to Alfonse with urgent news. Something had changed in the Emblian soldiers, and they were succeeding in pushing back Askr's forces. The messenger also relayed that King Hrid's suggestion was for Alfonse to return to Askr while his researchers continued to see if they couldn't find information on the Emblian curse. Alfonse agreed with this assessment, told the messenger to relay his thanks to Hrid, and then was on his way back to Askr.

When he got there, Alfonse was appraised of the situation, or as much of it as the Askrans knew. Their defenses had held up very well while Alfonse was away, but then, one day, there was a sudden change in the Emblians who came to attack them. The ones who came to fight seemed to have lost all emotion, fighting mechanically. And even when struck a fatal blow, they would not die. In addition, there was a new, powerful commander who fought ruthlessly.

It was like something out of a nightmare. How could anyone win against such an army? What had happened to the army of Embla to have drained them of their emotions and given them immortality? Alfonse couldn't help but remember Hrid's fight against Surtr. No one else could scratch the King of Muspell. It was only with a weapon imbued with the same kind of power as Surtr wielded that he could be harmed. Did Bruno enact a rite of some sort similar to the Rite of Flames? Such rites always came with a price. Just what had happened? It was vital that he find out, not only for Bruno's sake, but for the sake of both Askr and Embla.

There was only one place where Alfonse could find answers: Embla. Or, at the very least, he needed to extract information from someone with knowledge of what had happened. This new Emblian commander had appeared at the same time as the change in the Emblian army took place. The odds were high that he knew something of what happened.

And so, conspiring with Kiran and King Gustav, Alfonse proposed that they move onto the offensive. They would push forward under the guise of desperation, seeking to push to Embla's castle itself. However, their true aim would be simply to capture the enemy commander. They would attack on three fronts, with each of them heading a unit. The odds were good that the commander would attack one of them. Then, the other two would switch to defense, and keeping reinforcements away from the commander. They would isolate him and immobilize him, then bring him in for questioning.

Gustav objected to the idea, surprising Alfonse with how impassioned the man was. The Askran king then went on to express his disapproval with how cavalier Alfonse had been these past months, and how important it was that he start valuing his own life more. Humbly, Alfonse apologized, but argued that it couldn't be helped, given the circumstances. As Askr's prince, he had a duty to protecting Askr, and to doing his utmost to promote peace with other nations. He claimed that if there was a way to do that, then he would try to achieve it, no matter what. Gustav returned by questioning what Alfonse thought would happen if he died. His mother, Henriette, was no longer with them, and Alfonse was Gustav's only heir. Even if Gustav had another child if Alfonse died, that child would not be ready to rule anytime soon. Gustav himself was getting on in years, and would one day die, and he did not want to leave behind an empty throne. Alfonse insisted that he needed to work to protect Askr, but promised to take better care of himself. That was good enough for the time being for Gustav, though he wished Alfonse would remove himself from combat entirely. With that settled, he agreed to Alfonse's plan.

The three groups set out the next day. As Alfonse led his troops, approaching the enemy, he saw one singular individual step out from among the dead-faced soldiers. Alfonse could hardly believe it, but there stood Surtr. A red light blazed off of the man, and poured out of a hole in his breastplate and the back of his armor that was exactly where Hrid's sword had pieced him. His new armor looked worn and dented, and was completely black. Parts of him, including parts of his face, looked like it was made from an orangey-red gel, and within it, Alfonse could see the man's skeleton.

That man's wild grin chilled Alfonse as he looked directly at him. There was recognition in his eyes. Shakily, Alfonse asked, "How can you be here? Hrid killed you." Surtr laughed at that, agreed that, indeed, the Prince of Nifl did kill him. Then, he explained that it was, in fact, because of that that he was here now. When he'd died, he'd gone to the Real of the Dead: a place called Hel. There was no ruler there -- only the lifeless masses. And so, since he had lost Muspell, he had decided to conquer the realm of Hel and become its king. In so doing, he became the god of the dead, and acquired new powers which came with the station. He also met a man there: one who explained exactly how it was that Hrid of Nifl had gained his opportunity to kill him: Alfonse of Askr had interfered. It had been he who had turned the dissenters against him, and who had suggested the plan for them to infiltrate his unit. It had been he who had coordinated between them and the Niflians, and it had been he who had given Hrid enough hope and resolve to perform the Rite of Frost. And now, he was here to exact vengeance upon him and claim him as one of his soldiers before going to destroy those of Muspell and Nifl, and bring them into his new realm.

This explanation had come as Surtr had cut down all who tried to protect the prince, and advanced toward him. Alfonse was terrified, and though sometimes he managed to attempt a strike against Surtr, his attacks did nothing. It was all he could do to retreat as he blocked or parried, and somehow, he had wound up alone with this blazing god of death. Surtr knocked the prince down, and raised his scythe for the killing swing, but as the blade came down, it collided with something else before it could hit its intended target. King Gustav had thrown himself in between his son and Surtr's weapon, and had attempted to block the attack, but instead it buried itself deeply into him.

Alfonse's shock was all-consuming. All he could do was stare at the scene in refusal of this reality. Surtr steadily began to laugh as he realized what had just happened. "Very well, then! Die for your son! Extend his life for a short while longer, but I will claim him as well!" Then, Surtr pulled back his forces, Returning to Hel, and promising to return for Alfonse at a later time.

The entire country grieved for the loss of King Gustav -- and none more so than Alfonse, who had lost his only remaining family member -- but there was no time for proper mourning. Not with this attack from Hel, which seemed to have taken the place of the Emblian onslaught. Kiran was there to comfort and encourage Alfonse, and Alfonse was deeply grateful to him for it. So long as he had this good friend of his, he was not alone. Alfonse determined to stop doing nothing but defending. He would go to Hel itself and destroy Surtr there, in order to prevent any more harm from coming to Askr as a result of Surtr's vendetta against him. But for that to work, he needed a weapon that could kill the dead.

Alfonse researched all night, and eventually found a record of such a weapon. It was a dangerous rite, but it would give one the power to slay the dead. The rite, however, took many lives as compensation for this act. Alfonse wasn't sure if he should use it, even if it meant killing Surtr. For know the knowledge was good enough. After getting what sleep he could, the following day, he set out to the gate which led to Hel, along with some forces and Kiran. When Alfonse got there, however, his heart sank.

There, guarding the gate to the realm of the dead, was King Gustav. The dead king pleaded with Alfonse, warning him that having died, he was no longer in control of his actions. But rather, that he was subject to the god of the dead. Alfonse was filled with both grief and rage that Surtr would employ such underhanded tactics, using the marred form of his father against him like this. Alfonse and his troops surged against the forces of the dead, battling them until there was an opening through which Alfonse and Kiran managed to enter the gate. The remaining Askran forces retreated after this mission of getting thos two through was accomplished.

The pair wandered the eerie land of the dead for a long time. Though it felt like several days, time didn't shift in this place. Occasionally, they would run across Surtr's troops, and have to fight their way away from them as they headed for the castle in this place to fight Surtr directly. As they travelled, they came across a swordsman Kiran claimed was a general of the army of the dead. Several times, the swordsman came close to defeating Alfonse and Kiran, but when he looked at Kiran, something always seemed to drive him away.

The terrain eventually became eerily familiar to Alfonse. He had found an entirely other Askr here in this world. Inside the Askr Castle of this world, he confronted the swordsman who called himself Lif, which was the name of the first Askran king. He claimed to know the man's true name...and that it was the same as his own. Lif confirmed this. He was Alfonse, but an Alfonse from a different Askr: the one they currently stood in. Alfonse asked what happened. Lif promised to explain, but first, he admitted to being the one to tell Surtr about the actions of Alfonse in Nifl.

In Lif's version of the world, Surtr did not go to Embla and broker a deal with Bruno first, as he did this time. Instead, Surtr came directly to Nifl to exact his revenge. During that time, Alfonse was still researching the Emblian curse. Surtr's goals were simple: to destroy Nifl and Muspell, and bring them all to Hel to rule over them. When he began his attack, Lif, the Alfonse of that world, had tried to work with the Hrid of that world to stop him. He failed, but managed to return to Askr to prepare for Surtr's conquest against them and sent a warning to Embla. However, Embla ignored this warning, and refused to help Askr in any way. Lif searched for a way to kill those who were already dead, and came up with a solution: a dangerous rite. He enacted the rite...and one by one, people throughout Askr began dying. It was far too much to handle: seeing person after person of those you were to lead and protect die because of you. And it was simply too much to bear when Kiran's turn finally came... Lif was driven into agony and anguish. He lost himself.

There was only one way to undo that rite's curse. Undoing it was all that mattered anymore. The balance of the dead had to be kept. For every life taken in another version of the world, a life would be regained in Lif's. And so he came to the other world and spoke with Surtr to broker a deal, and to reclaim his own world by destroying this one.

For this reason, Lif explained, he could not let Alfonse or Kiran live. Indeed, his resolve was now strong enough to slay the Kiran right in front of him in order to regain his own, dear friend. "Throw away everything to bring a dead world back to life. Sacrifice another self."

The fight which ensued was intense, but Alfonse and Kiran's teamwork led them to victory. Alfonse told Lif that he does indeed pity him...but that this could not be the right answer. Then, Alfonse swore that they would kill Surtr and free Lif.

The castle in Hel was not much further from there. Kiran and Alfonse confronted Surtr there with new resolve. Surtr was practically giddy to be able to go all out against them. It was a difficult and intense battle, and Surtr was going after Alfonse like a shark attacking his prey. Finally, Surtr was knocked back, giving Alfonse an opening. In that moment, Kiran could have sworn that he saw the image of Lif over the image of Alfonse as he ran the death god through. Though it would never be explained to Kiran, at least not in the near future, Lif transferred the power to kill the dead to Alfonse: his other self. He had finally been broken of his determination to kill Alfonse's Askr for his own, instead wishing for at least one Askr to flourish.

And so, Surtr finally died, and the land of Hel became devoid of a ruler once more.

Book 4. (No Thorr, Peony, Mirabilis, Triandra, Plumeria, or Freyja.)

About a week passed, as Askr began to recover from Hel's assault, and the attacks from Embla resumed again. Alfonse's coronation was postponed, as the situation was still too dangerous for an official ceremony like that to be held. And, truthfully, Alfonse was not yet ready to don the crown. He confided in Kiran that all of these recent tragedies were weighing heavily on him. The revelation of Zacharias to be Bruno, and the stark contrast in their behavior, Surtr's two conquests and being personally hunted down by him, Lif's tragic tale which could easily have become his own, the death of his father, the sheer length of this war, and tragedy after tragedy relentlessly befalling the kingdom... No, it was more personal than that. Tragedy after tragedy befalling him. It was all too much, and Alfonse was so tired by now. Tired from sorrows and fears constantly wearing on him... And Kiran agreed that Alfonse needed to rest. So, Kiran again was given command of the Order of Heroes and command of the Askran army in order to protect the kingdom and stave off the Emblian assault while Alfonse took a much-needed break.

During the second day or so of this reprieve from handling states of crisis, Alfonse decided to take a walk through the woods near the castle. He'd hoped to find some peace in the solitude and in the calming sounds of nature. Unfortunately, he hardly noticed his beautiful surroundings, distracted as he was by dark thoughts of recent events. If he had been more aware, perhaps he would have noticed the shift in the woods around him. How the golden sunlight faded, and the bright green foliage silently turned grey and disappeared... He was only snapped out of his thoughts by a voice: a harsh and ferocious voice, promising Alfonse death.

The prince of Askr quickly spun around, eyes wide with terror and disbelief. It was impossible, but there stood Surtr of Hel, his blazing red scythe raised and ready to strike, while his eyes gleamed in wicket delight. Hastily, Alfonse parried the attack, but it was so powerful that it knocked him over, and his sword arm was sprained with the attempt. As he scrambled to his feet, Alfonse's mind raced. This couldn't be happening. Surtr was dead -- he'd killed him himself! The King of Hel swung at Alfonse again. The prince barely escaped being cut in two by its blade, but his arm, the one opposite his sword arm, did receive a cut from the weapon. It burned more than a normal blade should, provoking a cry of pained surprise from Alfonse. The sound seemed to make Surtr gleeful, and the hulking man began to quicken his attacks as he described all manner of ways in which he would make Alfonse suffer. Though he managed to avoid or parry strike after strike, each blow which he deflected made his sword arm ache, and it felt like Surtr's scythe was even heating the air with each pass.

"Askr needs you."

Alfonse knew better than to take his eyes off of his persistent enemy, but the voice he heard drew his attention. Off to the side, he saw his marred father standing there, with a look of deep disappointment on his face. "You are the only one remaining of the royal line. The fate of our people was placed in your hands. I told you not to treat your life so lightly... You had a duty to them. And now, because you will die here...they are also doomed. You failed Askr... You failed me."

Suddenly, the air became hot. It was like he was right next to a fire. Alfonse turned his head to look at the source of the heat. A new horror filled his vision as the image of his father burned away, along with the landscape of Hel. The trees were now sharp, charred sticks pointing straight into the sky, once having been proud and volumous evergreen trees. Red embers tinted them, and the blackened ground from which they protruded.

Alfonse hardly noticed these, however. His entire attention was on the man who stood just in front of him, holding up a sword which had been cloven in two. The other per of its blade was a short distance away. The heat that Alfonse felt came from Sinmara, Surtr's blazing scythe, which was currently lodged within this man's body. It had nearly cleaved the man in two completely. Alfonse's mind rejected what his eyes could not. Dry and hoarse, the man's voice managed to utter an apology to Alfonse, claiming that he couldn't protect him. And then, Hrid, King of Nifl, burned up completely from the weapon lodged in his torso, revealing a completely revived Surtr of Muspell, grinning menacingly.

"Nifl, Askr, Muspell... Looks like they're all going to be subject to him... What a filthy future..." Behind Surtr, Alfonse saw Helbindi on his knees with a searing, horrible gash spreading across his body until he was completely burned up. Then, he suddenly noticed all of the charred bodies littering the ground. When had they gotten there? He couldn't remember, his mind somewhere between the present and his worst fears of what could happen in Nifl if Hrid failed to kill Surtr.

"I should have killed you... I should have killed everyone!" The anguished, furious cry came from somewhere behind him, but Alfonse didn't have to look to recognize that voice. It was so similar to his own... Lif. "Now another Askr will be destroyed... Why did I ever trust you?! I did not need this world -- I should have used it to revive my own! You're WEAK, Alfonse! You're far too weak to save this world!"

"But you are still subject to me," Surtr growled with that terrible grin on his face, pointing past Alfonse to Lif. Alfonse could hear his other self let out a pained, frustrated, resigned grunt. Alfonse got the feeling that even though Lif wanted to, there was nothing he could do to rebel against his hated master.

It sounded like Lif was in tears, his voice tight in frustration as he harshly told Alfonse, "You said you would free me...but now you will become me."

"No, Lif." Alfonse turned to look to the owner of this new voice, startled to hear him, and fresh alarm washing over him when he saw its owner. Prince Bruno of Embla was walking toward the collection of men, dragging along a limping and battered Kiran by the back of his hooded neck. "You are already dead, so you are no concern of mine...however, I am the heir of Embla. It is my right to kill the children of Askr...and once he is dead, then no more Askran royalty will remain." Then, Bruno looked down to the one he held, a grimace of distaste coming onto his face. "But first, his troublesome summoner."

Bruno threw the battered Kiran to the ground, followed closely by a blast of magic. Alfonse could hardly get Kiran's name out before the spell collided with his dear and trusted friend, who laid perfectly still afterward. It was too much. It was like every fear and sorrow that had been haunting him had manifested right there and were all assaulting him at once. Alfonse hardly paid attention to the argument which ensued between Bruno and Surtr regarding who truly had the right to kill him. Listlessly, the prince fell to his knees, staring at Kiran's corpse. He couldn't take it anymore. Askr's armies had clearly failed to keep the Emblian forces out of Askr. Kiran as dead. Surtr was alive again. Lif was subject to everlasting service to this wicked and cruel man. Muspell and Nifl, at the least, would assuredly come under Surtr's tyrannical rule. Nifl's las ruler, Hrid, had fallen to Surtr in an attempt to save him from the King of Flames. And he...he had failed everyone...and now he was going to die for it.

It was strange. Alfonse was so overcome with the weight of his sorrows that he didn't even notice the voices and images fade away into a heavy and quiet darkness. As he was, Alfonse didn't mind succumbing to it, either. There was nothing else he deserved...at least, so he felt. Oddly, like something barely on the edges of his perception, Alfonse felt a sort of soothing warmth. The darkness seemed to flow away like smoke in the wind, and revealed around him was an unfamiliar forest. It was dark, but brightly glowing flora and dark, thorny, twisting vines were all around. A sort of drowsiness began to steadily fade away from the prince, and the landscape began to change once more. Now, Alfonse found himself in a grassy, flowery meadow with bright blue skies above and white, wispy clouds lazily drifting by, reflected in clear ponds which dotted the landscape. Alfonse found himself looking around in awe of the place from where he knelt. It was so peaceful, and had an innate sense of happiness about it. It was so different from...

The prince suddenly remembered the situation he had just been in. His attention snapped back to where Kiran should have been. There was nothing but gently-waving grasses and flowers, however. As though responding to the questions in his mind, a nearby voice spoke. "There is nothing to fear. The nightmare has been chased away."

Alfonse jumped, only just then realizing that he was not alone. A tall man with twisting horns extending from his head stood next to him, eyes closed.

"W-what?"

"You are dreaming," the man answered. "I am Freyr, the Dream King. I stand a continuous vigil against a darkness which has encroached upon my dominion for countless years. However, I do so alone. At times, the darkness makes it past me, and forms nightmares in the minds of those who dream. It particularly enjoys preying upon those with troubled hearts...such as yourself. I managed to send it away for now...but if you do not wish to be its prey again, I suggest that you resolve the fears and pain you harbor. After all...darkness calls to darkness."

Alfonse was still trying to wrap his head around it. At his asking, Freyr confirmed that what Alfonse saw -- Surtr, Hrid, Bruno, Kiran, Lif, King Gustav... -- all of it had only been a nightmare: fears and traumas augmented into a nightmare by the darkness. At his questioning, Freyr also explained that though he did not know where the darkness came from, it has taken over a good part of the dream world and turned it into the nightmare world. When Alfonse asked if the darkness could be defeated, Freyr admitted that he did not know. Long ago, he had considered bringing mortal children to the dream world and giving them special powers would could be used to combat it, but no matter what that child's past or situation was like, he would be taking away their futures in the mortal world by doing so. Thus, he had decided against it. Instead, he stood vigil alone.

"But don't you ever get tired or hopeless? From what you say, the darkness may never go away. Why do you keep standing against it?" Alfonse asked, partially thinking of his own situation and discouragement.

"If I were to give up...the darkness would consume me," Freyr answered, "My loss would be assured, instead of a mere possibility. However, I do have the power to resist it. My power wards against it... This is why it has not completely destroyed my domain. But beyond that...it is because if I and this place gets swallowed by it...then there would never be a good dream again. There are too many who rely on me not to fall...so whether I can or cannot is not the question. Rather, I ward the darkness because I must. I am relied upon to shield the dreams of mortals. Thinking about that... Thinking about the consequence to others, should I fail...it strengthens my resolve."

Then, Freyr turned his face to Alfonse, and his eyes slid open just enough that he could look at the prince. "Are there those whom you refuse to fail?"

Instantly, faces flashed through Alfonse's mind. Kiran, Hrid, Helbindi, King Gustav, Lif, the people of Askr...and Bruno. They were all relying on him...and instead of filling him with fear of failure, suddenly, Alfonse felt strengthened by their trust. A smile began to form on Alfonse's face. "Yes... They are all very dear to me. I will not let them down."

Freyr smiled at the prince. Then, he closed his eyes, and set his attention straight ahead. "Mortals rarely remember their time here... However, even if you forget your encounter with me, I hope that you take with you this new strength you have found. Be well, Prince of Askr."

The landscape faded away in a warm light, and the next thing Alfonse knew, he was waking up in his bed. The dream was already beginning to fade from his mind, but for some reason, he felt like there was something important about it. He met with Kiran a bit later. As it turned out, Kiran had also had a strange dream, though in his, he had actually been Alfonse himself, and had had to kill Alfonse, who had looked like the summoner, but who had been possessed by evil butterflies and a goat overlord. Suddenly, Alfonse didn't feel like forgetting the details of his dream was so bad if it was half as crazy as Kiran's had been. However, it was strange... For some reason, Alfonse found that he was filled with more courage to face the future than he had in a long time. People were relying on him...and he felt completely resolved not to let them down.

Book 5. -- TO BE CONTINUED (MAYBE) SOMEDAY!

Here's the original thread.

• 1 month later...

Here's the continuation of my Male-Only FEH hypothetical rewrite: Book 5. Uh yeah. This one turned out...long. Enjoy.

Spoiler

I just reread my male-only iteration (and cringed at all the typos that I don't want to go back and edit since editing big posts is a pain) to refresh where I left off, and I hope I can continue the story okay. This one's going to be kind of tricky, I think. Oh well! Here we go! (Also, I adjusted the quote below since I have more context now than I did when I initially wrote the stuff for Book 5's restrictions.)

On 8/4/2021 at 2:51 AM, Mercakete said:

Book 5. (No Reginn, Eitri (kind of), Dagr, or Nott. In the source material, Eitri was specifically recognized by Fafnir as the MAN who summoned him. So, at least her previous incarnation was male. That's the version of Eitri (previously known as "Yellow Kiran") I'll be going with, and since I don't know what the name of that incarnation's was, I'll be referring to him as Eitri if I need to use a name.)

The time had finally come. Despite the continued defense against Embla and the rebuilding from the invasion of Hel -- or, perhaps, because of these events -- it had been decided that Alfonse would officially take up the throne and be crowned as Askr's king. Now more than ever, the country needed stability in order to press onward. After all the chaos that had ravaged it, an empty throne would only cause the country to unravel even faster. And as the heir, it was Alfonse's duty to ascend, and to provide Askr with that much-needed stability. It was a nerve-wracking and melancholy thing, but one thought steadied the prince more than anything else: his determination to prove to those who trusted in him that their belief in him was well-founded. He would ascend not because it was easy, but because he must. Too many people relied upon him for him to ignore this responsibility.

It was the day before the coronation. Commanders in the Askran army and in the Order of Heroes continued their defense against the Emblian army while Kiran had returned to Askr Castle for the event. Alfonse confided in Kiran about his uncertainties, the immense pressure he felt, bearing Askr's future, and about his resolve in the defense of Askr and the restoration of Bruno's true mind. Kiran's support was an immense relief and source of strength for the to-be king, and he was just telling him as much when a messenger came bursting into the room the two occupied. The messenger was out of breath and clearly very troubled, putting the prince and the summoner instantly on alert. He told them that he had just come from Askr's defensive line with an urgent message: a new foe had emerged and was hitting the deployed soldiers and heroes hard. They had done their best to send forces to this new front in order to solidify their defenses, but they could not spread themselves too thin or the Emblian army would surge and break through their weakened formation. More forces were needed immediately, and the new threat needed to be properly assessed.

Alfonse told the messenger to tell the royal coordinators to postpone the coronation immediately, as an emergency had just arisen that required his immediate attention. He also instructed him to, after he'd delivered the previous message, return to the front and tell the commanders that he and Kiran were on their way with reinforcements. The messenger was dismissed, and he hurried about his assignment. Alfonse then turned to Kiran and ordered that he go to the barracks and pull as many heroes as he could muster to reinforce their new defensive front. If he could, Alfonse reasoned that it would be good to summon more reinforcements, too. As soon as they were ready, Kiran, Alfonse, and the heroes they were taking with them would go to those on the defensive line to learn more about these new attackers.

As promised, Alfonse, Kiran, and the heroes they brought with them arrived at the new front as soon as they were able to. What they saw there was shocking. The landscape was filled with blackened streaks on every surface, grooves gouging the trees and the earth, and craters blown into the ground. This level of destruction went beyond mere fire magic, and looked nothing like the flames of Muspell Alfonse witnessed in Nifl. As Alfonse tried to think of what could have possibly marred the landscape like this, Kiran began looking for the commander in charge of this front, sending the heroes out in a search for Askran forces. That was another disturbing thing about the area: the signs of struggle were apparent, not only in the landscape, but by the bodies in the area, most of them with pieces missing...and found quite the distance away. Whatever had attacked had explosive force -- that was certain. Alfonse and the others hadn't encountered any enemy forces on their way over, and none could be seen around now. However, no living allies were visible either... Had the battle moved further away? Were the Askran forces in hiding Thankfully, there were in fact some Askran soldiers who had been hiding nearby, and their reports were quite illuminating.

These destructive foes bore the symbol of Nidavellir, and some of them rode in metallic machines that moved like horses, but shielded like plate mail. These machines could fire entire volleys of explosive projectiles, and would often employ hit-and-run tactics. Alfonse had read about these machines before. They were created from seidjarn: a deep study of magic performed by the industrious Dvergar machinists of Nidavellir. The country had been violently dealing with internal struggles for many years now. However, it seemed that those had been resolved if they were attacking Askr. But why? Was this a conquest? Was the fighting simply getting out of hand? Whatever the case, this was not an ideal situation for Askr by any stretch. They were already defending against assaults from Embla, recovering from the onslaught of Hel, and trying to get a new king on the throne. Being invaded by Nidavellir now... Was it a strategic move on their part? Askr was spread thin and weakened, so tactically speaking, it was ripe for invasion... This had to be investigated immediately, and if possible, this threat had to be stopped before it progressed any further.

The heroes who could heal were assigned to helping the injured soldiers, and then those soldiers were to return to Askr Castle in order to inform their allies of the events, and to continue to rest until their recovery was complete. As some were missing limbs, eyesight, or other such injuries, some were likely to retire after this... They'd more than earned it. Kiran was in charge of summoning whatever heroes he was able to in order to densify their defensive line. He also sent scouts and messengers out to try to find and bring back more injured or hiding allies, and anyone from Nidavellir that they could. Especially, Alfonse wanted to have a meeting with whoever of rank he could from Nidavellir in order to ask why they were assaulting them. Everyone else was in charge of repairing and reinforcing the barricades. According to reports, the Dvergar appeared seemingly out of nowhere. They had to be ready for another attack.

The scouts returned with a little information from Dvergar survivors they had captured. The civil war in Nidavellir had been the result of a coup d'etat many years ago which had taken the lives of every living member of Nidavellir's royal line, including an infant princess. Through fighting prowess, their current king, Fafnir, ended the warring and became their king. He was a strong and kind man, until he took the throne. In the end, peace did not come to Nidavellir. The fighting continued, but now it was directed outward in a grand conquest of other countries. Some of the more patriotic of the captured Dvergar talked about how Nidavellir would soon have extended its borders to encompass the entire world. Whether this was actually King Fafnir's design or not, however, was impossible to confirm just yet. Others seemed to think that nothing had changed since Fafnir took over, as the scarcity of necessities persisted, and people were taken from their families in order to fuel the conquest of neighboring kingdoms. Already, several had fallen to Nidavellir.

Just in case, Alfonse had messengers travel to Nifl to warn King Hrid about the potential threat to the two countries he oversaw. If it hadn't been for the current Embla-Askr war, he would have sent messengers to Embla as well, but he knew that such messengers would likely not be well-received. Besides that, he did not want to cause his troops to begin to lose faith in him. They put their lives on the line to protect Askr, so giving a warning to Embla would undoubtedly confuse and anger them. No, Alfonse was certain that Bruno was more than capable of defending his own country. The Askran prince would have to trust him to continue to wait for him to find a cure for the Emblian curse.

With that settled, Alfonse pondered his next move. The consistent reports of the sudden change in King Fafnir after he took the throne was disturbing, and he couldn't help but liken them to his own experience with the shift in Bruno's disposition. Alfonse wondered if there was some sort of curse at work within the Dvergar king to cause such a drastic change in his goals and behavior. If he could be reverted to his kinder self, then it would be all the better for Nidavellir and Askr both. Further, perhaps Alfonse could glean some insight into the curse with which Bruno contended.

So, Alfonse put together a team. Though he wanted to leave Kiran behind to summon more forces if needed, and to put his strategic mind to use overseeing the Dverger front and the Emblian front, there was another factor to consider. In addition to the other information the Askrans were able to gather form the captured Dverger, the subject of their orders proved to be the most curious and unsettling: they were not only to capture Askr, but specifically to bring into custody the summoner as well. Alfonse was not about to lose his trusted friend and confidant. Besides, he had a feeling that if he was going to successfully confront the mystery of King Fafnir, he would need Kiran by his side.

Thus, Alfonse, Kiran, and their small ensemble of heroes set out into Nidavellir, leaving the majority to defend Askr. A smaller group was preferable to Alfonse anyway -- this way he could move about more freely and attract less attention, but could still put up more resistance than if he and Kiran had set out alone. They were in enemy territory, after all, and without a guide.

Alfonse's group did all they could to avoid detection from the Dvergar was they passed through Nidavellir. The deeper they could get into the country, the better their chances at discovering the truth about Fafnir's condition. Besides, if Askr and Kiran were Fafnir's primary targets, then keeping Alfonse and the summoner secret was their best bet.

As they went, they discovered a forest through which they might cross. There didn't seem to be any Dverger activity here, and so the group took advantage of this route. As they reached deeper into the forest, they began to discover traps built into the ground, presumably to halt -- and kill, or at least injure -- trespassers. In particular were pitfall traps with sharp spikes within. At first, the company thought that these were perhaps merely hunting traps, but the increased frequency began to make them doubt that guess.

Finally, the Askran unit came across a house in the woods. Perhaps this was what all those traps had been protecting. A scout was sent into the house, and returned reporting that, at present it was empty, apart from many books and inventions, which he guessed were resultant from seidjarn research. Figuring that this was a golden opportunity to learn more about the Dvergar, Alfonse's group moved in. Sure enough, many strange machines littered the house, as well as many books. Alfonse took to reading, as did a few others, while the rest began to investigate the inventions.

Alfonse found books on particular machines, but he could not understand all of the complex formulae and technical language. Thankfully, however, that was not all that was on the shelves. He also found some books containing Nidavellir's history, and read up on as much of it as he was able to. In the past, the Dvergar were ruled by the Jotnar of Jotunheimr, but one of the Dvergar used seidjarn to even the odds against their subjugators. He won the freedom of the Dvergar and founded Nidavellir as the first king of that country. It was said that the Crown of Nidavellir granted him immense strength as well, along with a sword called Gramr. Relations between Nidavellir and Jotunheimr were understandably shaky, and after the royal family of Nidavellir was killed, relations plummeted. Alfonse was surprised to see some recent history penned into the pages as well: there was a threat of the Jotnar becoming violent against the Dvergar after King Fafnir rose to power. The king's brother, Otr, however, offered Gramr as a gift to the Jotnar in order to preserve the peace. It was delivered to Barnstokkr, the royal castle of Jotunheimr...but Nidavellir took this opportunity to launch an attack, and brought the royal line of Jotunheimr to an end, reversing history and now subjugating the Jotnar.

After thinking about this new information, Alfonse began to reflect on Hrid's conflict with Surtr, and how a sword imbued with Nifl's power was necessary to penetrate the protection Muspell's flames provided. He wondered if, perhaps, the sword Gramr was necessary in order to bypass the power of the Crown of Nidavellir, which was in King Fafnir's possession. It was better to be armed with a seidjarn weapon of equal might to the crown if it came down to battle, though there had been a note about Gramr's full potential only being unlocked if wielded by someone of the Dvergar's true royal bloodline. All descendants of this bloodline had been eradicated, but it was still worth the gamble to come into possession of the sword if it was possible. Doubtless, however, it would be in Nidavellir Castle. That was fine. Alfonse was on his way to meet with King Fafnir anyway to confront him about his ruthlessness anyway. This note about Fafnir's brother, however... Perhaps it would be prudent to seek him out first and glean what he could from him...not that he sounded trustworthy, if giving Gramr to the Jotnar was a ruse he'd thought up. It was entirely possible that Fafnir was acting on his own in that instance, but it was impossible to tell simply from the brief mention Alfonse found in that book. It was worth investigating, albeit with due caution.

After gathering this information, Alfonse held a meeting to learn what the others had found, and to share his own findings. There wasn't much more of use that was found in the house, however. It was clearly a seidjarn inventor's workshop, and one of no small skill, based on the sheer volume of research and depth of scientific vernacular found on the notes. Various names were found on these notes, but the most recent one was "Eitri." This Eitri was likely the head researcher at the very least, and either led a team of scientists by the other names, or simply referenced the works of older, successful inventors. Whatever the case, this Eitri was very likely a genius in his field, and undoubtedly served King Fafnir. 

And so, Alfonse saw two paths before him. He could either lie in wait for Eitri to show up and question him when he arrived, or set out and seek Otr right away. Considering that Eitri could lead them to Otr and save them on time, Alfonse chose the former plan. Thus, Alfonse's team waited for the inventor to return.

As the team waited for Eitri to return, they investigated the inventor's notes as well as they could. There, they discovered something they had previously passed over. Disturbingly, some of the notes mentioned Askr and Breidablik. These notes were always tied to an invention called Jarngreipr. This weapon was apparently intended to destroy gates. Alfonse recalled the information they had gathered from the injured Dvergar soldiers left behind at Askr's border. They had been told to capture the summoner as well as take over Askr. If there had been any doubt, this cleared it away: Eitri worked for King Fafnir, and was actively trying to stop Askr from calling heroes from other worlds to help defend against outside threats. This was a conquest, and very likely, one intended to span all known kingdoms.

There was something else eerie about the designs and drafts found around the room, at least those focused on the summoning of persons from other worlds. Kiran hurried over to Alfonse as the prince was looking at a note written by Eitri about "incomplete" heroes summoned to this world. Kiran had only recently been summoned, so what was all this about? Then, Kiran hurried over to Alfonse with a scroll in hand, opened it up and showed it to the prince. On it was a technical drawing of Breidablik, but Kiran urgently pointed out a note written on the bottom of the page. It said that the divine weapon...which Eitri had made had been destroyed...by "yet another failure?"

Alfonse looked to another sheet of paper he had recently put down and urgently scanned it again. Failure... Eitri had referred to those in his notes before. It had never made sense, though...not until now. The term had always been applied to people in these notes concerning summoning. Now he understood: Eitri had been trying to summon heroes with an invention which copied Breidablik. Each time, however, the summoned hero wasn't brought all the way into their world. Most often, the subject would be insane, but in accounts from about five years ago -- accordidng to the note on the Breidablik copy designs, at the same time as the previous weapon was broken by one such summoned hero -- the heroes would not have their own will. And now, Alfonse saw a note he had missed previously: the heroes' souls were destroyed in the summoning. And Eitri always so calmly wrote about it as a minor thing that only indicated that further adjustments to the copy Breidablik needed. He, Kiran, and his team... They were in the den of a monster.

All attention snapped to the door as stirrings could be heard on the other side of it. There were voices -- two men were talking as they approached. Alfonse hurriedly signaled to everyone in the team to drop what they were doing and hide. Perhaps, once the ones outside entered, they could surprise and capture them. Even if one of them wasn't Eitri, they were likely to gain valuable information from the two of them.

The door opened, and the pair's conversation came washing into the room. The duo consisted of a young man and an old one, based on the sound of their voices.

"He keeps talking about searching for something," the younger was saying. He spoke urgently, and sounded either vexed or greatly distressed. "I'm doing everything I can, but he's going to realize-!"

Suddenly, all sound ceased. Then, Alfonse heard the younger voice whisper something. Doubtless, the older man had seen that his things were not as he had theft them. He would have preferred to eavesdrop for longer, but if they wanted to spring their trap, now was the time. Alfonse rushed toward where he had last heard the young man's voice from, and Kiran and the heroes followed suit. Indeed, standing there was an older, robed man, and a startled-looking young man. Alfonse and his team had just about reached them when, in a flash of light, they were gone. Momentarily, the Askran prince was confused.

"You must be Prince Alfonse of Askr."

Hearing the old man's voice behind him, Alfonse and his forces spun around to face the Dvergar men. To his horror, Alfonse saw the robed man gripping Kiran and holding a sword to the summoner's neck. Kiran, himself, was only just beginning to adjust to his new predicament, and even the younger Dvergar looked like he was just getting reoriented. The sword the older man held... Alfonse had seen a drawing of it in the myriad notes he and his team had gone through. It was Grammr. Then, the man thanked Alfonse for delivering "the final component" of his research to him. On guard and fearful for Kiran, he asked if the older man was Eitri. The robed man smiled sinisterly at the question, then complimented Alfonse on figuring that out so quickly. Alfonse then asked for confirmation on his other guess: that the young man with him was Otr, the brother of King Fafnir. The older man was even more impressed with that, and confirmed that one, too, before asking how he knew that. Alfonse answered that Eitri was holding Gramr, which was last known to be in the possession of Otr. The older man chuckled and commended Alfonse on his research. Then, he added, "But then, with my home in such disarray, I suppose it was my own research that you looked through."

Alfonse didn't try to hide it. Then he asked what "component" Eitri had referred to earlier. The older man chuckled and said that he didn't see the harm in telling him. "If you've looked through my notes on summoning, then you'll know the conclusion I came to. There is only one person who was chosen by Breidablik, and that is the only person who may use its divine power. If I may humbly say so, I have unparalleled knowledge about seidjarn, yet even I cannot quite grasp the power of this summoner. But why him? What makes him so special? The whims of the gods? Beidablik itself? Whatever the case, only he may use it. Or, at least, only one the power recognizes as he. As such, it is no difficult thing to realize that he is the missing component. With his soul as the final piece, my own divine summoning weapon will be complete. There is no reason for it to reject me once that is in place."

Whatever fear Alfonse held for Kiran's sake tripled in volume upon hearing that. It was entirely possible that Eitri could do it, too, given what notes of his Alfonse had read. Alfonse demanded to know why Eitri would go to such lengths to be able to summon heroes himself. Eitri replied as nonchalantly as ever that it was because he loved his country. Why should Askr have such a potent weapon? Why shouldn't Nidavellir? Alfonse questioned further. "What about all those heroes you summoned before? Don't you care about what you did to them?"

The researcher gave Alfonse an uncaring shrug. "Why should I be upset about every little thing that goes wrong? As a researcher, you learn from your failures, and use them to improve. It is the process of trial and error."

Alfonse's voice shook. "You're insane..." As the researcher's face twisted into a menacing smile, Alfonse demanded that he release Kiran. In response, the researcher merely turned to Otr and told him to "clean up this mess." Otr consented, but also sharply reminded Eitri to finish Jarngreipr. Eitri dismissively agreed, then disappeared in another flash of light, taking Kiran with him. Otr suddenly rushed past Alfonse and the remaining heroes and dashed out the door. Alfonse called after Otr to wait as he hurried in pursuit. There was nothing more he could learn from that horrible place. Otr was the key to finding Kiran again, and hopefully rescuing him before it was too late.

Alfonse and his company of heroes found Otr hurrying away in his seidjarn machine. They gave chase following Otr's trail even well after they had lost sight of him. Then, they finally found him again. He had mustered his forces as a leader in Nidavellir's army, and both sides clashed. Alfonse got his first taste of the terrifying and destructive capabilities of the siedjarn machines. Even after defeating Otr's forces, however, Alfonse was unable to capture him. He fled deeper into Nidavellir. Alfonse and his forces had no choice but to rest from their exertion, but they continued their pursuit the next day.

Alfonse's group again managed to catch up to Otr. This time, they managed to corner him. Alfonse demanded to know where Eitri had taken Kiran, and in response, Otr only gave Askr's prince an unpleasant smile. Then, he asked why he should tell the Askrans. Eitri had the summoner, and he had Gramr. Nothing could stop him from completing Jarngreipr now. Alfonse then asked what was so important about the gate-destroying weapon. Why did Otr want so badly for it to be made? Otr didn't reply at first. Desperate, Alfonse struck Otr across the face with Folkvangr's pommel with such force that it knocked the prince of Nidavellir to the ground. Then, falling into a stance ready to strike with his blade, Alfonse roared, "ANSWER ME!"

Otr shook his head from the blow he'd received and, softly chuckling, steadily shifted into a sitting position. "I suppose there's no harm in telling you." Otr then went on to explain how he came to be Fafnir's brother. He had once been an orphan, scrounging what he could in order to survive in his destitute, war-torn country. It was a hard life for a child, and really, it had been a miracle he had survived at all. One day, violence broke out in the town he had been living in. That was when Fafnir stepped in and settled things. He then took Otr in as his own brother. He gave him a home, and he became more than just family to him. He was his hero. Otr could not imagine living without his brother by his side, now. That was why he needed the power to destroy gates. Fafnir was already beginning to realize that he did not originate in Nidavellir.

Alfonse's eyes widened as he began to piece together what must have happened. Hardening his gaze and repositioning his sword to be ready to strike if needed, Alfonse asked Otr, "Fafnir was summoned here in one of Eitri's experiments, wasn't he?"

Otr responded by saying that it didn't matter where Fafnir came from. He could not allow him to leave him alone again. The Crown of Nidavellir was doing its job of destroying Fafnir's body and mind. That way, in time, he wouldn't be compelled to return to the world he came from, and then he would stay with Otr forever. If the gates were destroyed and the summoner was killed, then there would be no way for him to return, either. For Otr, that was all the better.

Incredulous at Otr's selfishness and possessiveness, and panicked about the dire straits his own dear friend was in, Alfonse struck Otr with the flat of his blade with all of his might, knocking out the Dvergar prince. Alfonse took a moment to calm down and clear his head. Then, he set to work on a plan.

Alfonse had Otr bound and he and his company made all haste to Nidavellir Castle. By chance, Alfonse's forces happened upon Fafnir leading his own in the direction of Askr. Alfonse jumped on this opportunity, calling to Fafnir, declaring himself, and demanding an audience with him. He was ready to use Otr as a hostage, though presently, he was being guarded out of sight by the heroes Alfonse had brought with him. However, that was unnecessary, as miraculously, Fafnir decided to speak with the prince. Alfonse went alone. Though Fafnir was surrounded by his own soldiers, Alfonse was confident that he was armed with all he needed to speak with Fafnir in safety.

Though Fafnir seemed distracted at first, his attention became riveted as soon as Alfonse began speaking. This is because the first thing Alfonse said after Fafnir asked him why he would expose himself like this, was that Fafnir was not from Nidavellir. Fafnir himself began acting like he was trying to shake off some sort of haze in his mind, and eagerly agreed that that sounded right. The pieces were slowly coming together. He told Alfonse that he was going to Askr just now because he felt drawn there. Alfonse told Fafnir that that was probably because he was actually seeking to return to his own world: the world he came from before being summoned to Nidavellir by Eitri. That seemed to fully awaken Fafnir's old memories. Almost desperately, he agreed that that was exactly what was happening. Alfonse then told Fafnir that he needed to take the crown off, warning the incomplete hero about what it was doing to him. Fafnir immediately complied. Instantly, Fafnir's eyes widened. Then, his expression softened, and his stance wavered as though he'd lost the strength in his legs. His soldiers were quick to support him. It took him a moment, but Fafnir carefully began to stand again on his own again. Nearly all the strain he had clearly been bearing before was gone now. Then, he apologized for all the trouble he'd caused up to that point. Alfonse reassured Fafnir that it wasn't his fault, but rather that the man himself had been a victim of the plotting of others. Alfonse then proceeded to tell him everything he knew about Eitri and Otr's scheming, including where his adoptive brother was in that very moment.

After hearing the story, Fafnir hung his head in shame and slowly shook it from side to side, heartbrokenly and quietly asking "Oh, Otr... What have you done?" Then, he returned his attention to Alfonse. "I may not have all of my memories from before I was brought here...but please allow me to assist you in rescuing the summoner and stopping Eitri from his schemes. As for Otr...I will speak with him, too."

Alfonse nodded in agreement. "And we will make sure you return to your world. You cannot stay here... Who knows what would happen to you if you remained incomplete?"

Fafnir looked uncomfortable with that. He clearly still had a lot on his mind. Alfonse decided to let him sort that out on his own. For now, however, they needed to come up with a plan to rescue Kiran.

Fafnir sent a fair number of his troops back to Eitri's sanctum in case he returned there in order to conduct his experiments on the summoner. Then, Fafnir went to confront Otr. When Otr saw Fafnir's clear expression and the crown missing from his head, he stared at him in horror. Then, he began struggling against his bonds, shouting in outrage at Alfonse for "taking his brother from him." Fafnir gently but firmly confronted his adoptive brother, reminding him that he was still there. "But you're going to leave me now." When Otr said this, Fafnir looked away uncomfortably, not sure how to address that statement. Otr then lashed out again, screaming "You see?! I knew it! I knew it! It was the only way to keep him here with me!" Then, in his despair, he began weeping bitterly. Fafnir wasn't sure how to console his brother -- that was clear from the lost and pitying look in his eyes. He took a deep breath and confronted Otr again. This time, he told Otr that they needed to find the summoner before Eitri could harm him, and that they needed Otr's cooperation. Otr's sobs turned into laughter. Then, he asked what any of it mattered anymore since Fafnir would leave him. That was when Otr's eyes turned from despairing to wild. He began talking half to himself, saying that perhaps there was still hope. If Eitri could finish Jarngreipr and kill the summoner, then there would be no way for Fafnir to return to the other world. He would still be able to keep his brother.

Alfonse harshly asked Otr how he could still want that, knowing how harmful that would be for Fafnir. Otr returned even more harshly that nothing else mattered except that he not lose Fafnir. Fafnir only looked on Otr with sorrow and pity in his eyes. Then, he turned to Alfonse. "There are only so many places where Eitri could be. I will help however I can. I am sorry, but it is clear that my brother will not help us."

As Fafnir began walking away, Alfonse turned angrily toward Otr again. "You say you do not want to lose Fafnir...but you are pushing him away yourself." Those words said, he followed after Fafnir to discuss how to go about finding where Eitri was hiding.

Some of Fafnir's soldiers returned to Castle Nidavellir some days later, where Fafnir, Alfonse, and their respective troops had pulled back to. Otr was locked away in a cell, and the Crown of Nidavellir had been destroyed. They had managed to get a little more information out of Otr in that time. He told them that the crown was unable to be removed from its wearer except by the wearer him or herself, or if the wearer died. That may not have mattered much now, but it did make them glad that Alfonse had been able to convince Fafnir to remove it himself. In addition, as it turned out, he'd been there when the previous monarchs of Nidavellir had been slain, and recanted the tale in vivid detail, including how he'd run away alone, leaving the crying, royal infant behind in his panicked escape. Seeing Fafnir's sorrow on Otr's behalf only angered Alfonse. How could Otr treat his brother like that, not even thinking about what was best for him? He spent as little time thinking about Otr as he could as a result. Fafnir's people had been searching the whole country for Eitri and Kiran, and unlike what the two monarchs had been seeing thus far from the scouts, these messengers looked eager to share the news they brought. Eitri had reappeared at her home in the woods, and he had the summoner with him. Alfonse and Fafnir immediately mustered their forces and set out to meet Eitri once more.

Fafnir's forces surrounded Eitri's home, and Fafnir, Alfonse, and the heroes from Askr stormed the place. Inside, Kiran was strapped to an upright restraining table, and Eitri looked to be using a seidjarn technique. Eitri didn't even turn toward them initially, and instead mildly noted that he was disappointed in Otr for failing in his task. Then, he looked to Fafnir, noting the missing crown and wistfully saying that it was too bad that he wasn't wearing it anymore, but that in the end it didn't matter. When his research was complete, he wouldn't need Fafnir's might anymore; he could make Nidavellir the most powerful country in all the worlds himself. With the power of the seidjarn, of Jarngreipr, and of summoning, nothing could stop him from finally making this kingdom the greatest in existence, finally realizing the dream that started at the founding of Nidavellir. The royal line was gone, but the country they cherished together remained, and he would ensure it flourished.

Naturally, these words brought on a bit of confusion. "The founding of Nidavellir?" Eitri chuckled at that, saying that he didn't mind explaining it now that he was so close to realizing the dream. He had actually been around since the very founding of the country, having gained a way to transfer his soul into a new form when the previous body died. He listed several names -- all of which Alfonse remembered seeing on the various notes and technical drawings scattered around the house they were in -- and claimed that all of them had been he. He spoke of the Tower of Nidavellir, and explained to Fafnir why the doors would not open for him when he went to perform the ascension rite, and why the crown caused him such grief: these things had been designed by Eitri himself to only accept those of the first king's bloodline. In fact, all of the seidjarn advancements in technology could be traced back to him. And now, he would finally complete the dream he and his good friend, the first king of Nidavellir, had begun together.

Alfonse asked if Eitri really thought that this was what the first king would have wanted: his people to be used and destroyed for the sake of subjugating yet more people, and causing everyone to suffer. Eitri dismissed Alfonse's words, however. Then, Fafnir stepped forward. He told Eitri that he had had enough. He had lived here in Nidavellir for some time now, and still, it was the only home he could yet clearly remember. He accused Eitri of twisting Otr's mind and using him, and as his brother, he would not stand for it. Further, as the new king of Nidavellir, he would not stand for the abuse of his people. That drew an angry scowl from the ancient inventor.

"How dare you claim kingship? I only allowed you to assume the role in order to advance Nidavellir for his sake!" Eitri challenged. "You were only permitted to pretend to be king because I allowed it!"

"It was through my own efforts that I became king," Fafnir replied, "And though I will not remain on the throne...I will at least free Nidavellir from you!"

Fafnir surged forward, entering combat with Eitri while Alfonse took the opportunity to hurry to Kiran's side. Quickly explaining what had happened, he began to cut Kiran free of his bonds. Kiran, likewise, told Alfonse that they had returned to this place because of certain materials Eitri had needed. He also had gained some information on Eitri that they could use against him. It was a good thing, too, since Kiran was quite visibly weakened from his time in captivity.

After Kiran explained his plan to Alfonse, the Askran prince interrupted Fafnir's fight with Eitri, claiming that Eitri was the cause of Askr's suffering as well, and that he, too, would combat him. Eitri laughed at this, claiming that even if the two of them worked together, that they could never defeat him. Kiran, meanwhile, caught Fafnir's attention from behind Eitri, signaling to him. Fafnir continued the charade, pretending to tag team with Alfonse against the undying inventor. He and Alfonse fought as a team for a little while, then Alfonse took over in a coordinated maneuver, so that Fafnir could hurry to Kiran and hear the plan in more detail. Alfonse was able to keep Eitri occupied, but the fight became significantly harder, and Eitri managed to knock him to the ground.

With a wild delight in his eye, he was about to deliver a blow Alfonse realized he couldn't escape. But then, he stopped, a look of shock on his face. Slowly, he turned his head to look behind himself. Gramr had pierced Eitri. A wicked smile twisted onto Eitri's face. With a laugh, he called them fools, and reminded them that Gramr's true power could only be wielded by one with the blood of the first king of Nidavellir. He would only move his soul into a new body, and begin his plans anew. Then, confusion and fear began to cross his face. Afraid, he asked what they had done to Gramr. How was it that the sword's seidjarn was resonating? Kiran was the one who replied. It was a gamble...and maybe it was a miracle, and may never be able to be repeated...but he had used Gramr's strong connection with the first king of Nidavellir, and used its resonation to augment Breidablik, and summon the first king himself.

Disbelief filled Eitri's face. He dislodged himself from Gramer and turned around to see his old friend standing there, blood-stained sword in hand, and tears forming at the corners of his eyes. After hearing Fafnir and Kiran's explanations, and seeing the Askran prince in danger, he had acted. But Eitri's own words are what convinced him that it was true. He was heartbroken at what his old friend had become...and what he had done to Nidavellir, to all those people he had summoned, and to the surrounding countries. For a moment, the two only stared at each other. Finally, Eitri said, "I...did it for you." In response, the first king looked away, unable to bear the sight of what Eitri had become any longer. And then, Eitri dissolved into dust.

With Kiran's help, the first king of Nidavellir returned to his own world. Eitri's residence was razed to the ground, and all of his inventions therein were destroyed. Alfonse, Kiran, and the heroes from Askr returned with Fafnir and his forces to Nidavellir Castle. Fafnir, Alfonse and Kiran then went to tell Otr about what happened. Hearing that Eitri ultimately could not succeed in creating Jarngreipr, and that now that it was all over, Fafnir would soon return to his world, Otr was consumed first with disbelief, and then with despair. Weakly, he asked to be killed. Fafnir was adamantly opposed to it, but Otr still insisted on it, saying that he could not live without Fafnir at his side. He had no one else, and there was no point to life if his brother was gone. All he wanted was to always be beside Fafnir. Fafnir, however, gave Otr an alternative.

Fafnir remained in Nidavellir for a little while yet, carefully seeking out someone new to rule the country. Once that task was handled, he went to Askr with Alfonse and Kiran. He still didn't have anything more than a foggy sense that he had another life somewhere else, but he was able to tell by instinct which gate led back to his home. After giving his sincere thanks to both Alfonse and Kiran, he and Otr went through the gate. Fafnir's memories, including his true name, returned to him, and he introduced his wife and daughter to the brother he had met somewhere along his travels.