What are some words you hate and why?

Some people really hate the word "moist," but I don't mind it. It's a good word for describing the ideal cake, the ideal steak, and the ideal wife.

There are some words that I do genuinely dislike though, and I'm sure other people have non-moisture related words which they also dislike. For example, my brother doesn't like the word "nipple." I personally dislike the word "gamer" with burning intensity. If you identify as a gamer, please stop.

There is just something very unpleasant about the word "tween."

And while I don't hate the word I don't like how "right" has two definitions.

55 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Profanities. I hate every single one of them and wish they would disappear.

Yeah, pretty much what I was going to say. I don't use them myself and can't stand when others do. I think they hold a lot of weight too and people who use them so frequently don't realize the effect they can have on people. It also sounds very insincere when some people say them, like they're trying to "fit in" or "be cool."

That's actually an interesting question. There are two R words that I despise, but I won't spell them out here. The first one is something that I hate to hear happen. It's such a despicable thing for a person to do, and I can't even begin to imagine how horrible a victim of it would feel. Whenever I even begin to think of the word, see it in writing, or hear it in person, my mind instantly turns to a state where it tries to cleanse my thoughts of that horrible word. I despise it to no end.

The other word is what I would consider a "gamer-insult," or something you've probably seen someone type in the chat of an online video game or in a comment section somewhere. It really irks me when people use it. I can handle being called one as an insult just fine, and I can imagine that I can be called way worse, but I abhor seeing someone call another person that. Yeah, people make dumb moves in video games, but it's a video game. There's no need to call a teammate or an opponent a slur because they're not the best at something. Just insulting people in general rubs me the wrong way. 

I think I might've gone too deep into my response.

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

the ideal wife.

Explain.

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I personally dislike the word "gamer" with burning intensity. If you identify as a gamer, please stop.

Explain.

2 hours ago, indigoasis said:

The other word is what I would consider a "gamer-insult," or something you've probably seen someone type in the chat of an online video game or in a comment section somewhere.

"Ree?"

Personally very few words do this to me. My sister hates "Moist Brick Paint" all together. It's pretty funny.

Like others have mentioned, I'm not terribly fond of strong profanity, although I don't mind mild ones that much.

Words I've come to strongly dislike are simp (is used way too much and only rarely gets used correctly), pog (I just don't like it), waifu (used unironically; I've used it myself jokingly, and don't mind when it's used in that context), weeb (when it's misused), hot (to describe someone's appearance; there're far better words to do that instead of a word that ought to refer to temperature), and...there's probably others, but those are all I can think of right now. So yeah.

Path of Radiance

Guacamole and Jalapeno, but only because most people pronounce 'em wrong where I live. As well as slurs, but that sorta goes without saying.

I'm happily surprised I'm not the only one here that dislikes profanities. Many people I know have told me they're just normal now and I should get used to them, but I will actively avoid people who curse a lot.

Other than that, not really. Some words make me uncomfortable, some I don't like being called, but no words besides curses I hate.

The amount of people here who hate curses and people who curse is making me feel rather uncomfortable. Not saying you're wrong or anything, I just feel personally called out. Oh, well.

"Simp", more than anything for me. Most people who use it unironically imply things that I really don't like. Maybe it's just me, but it seems anything other than "thot destroyer gamer bro" is a simp. See what I mean?

Other than that, "Pog" and its variations have been overused to exhaustion by now. I never found them funny, anyway. Then there's all the... generational words, like "boomer" or "zoomer" or whatever. Half of them I don't even know what they're supposed to represent, and oftentimes they feel like a really condescending way to dismiss somebody. Even when used in a joking manner, I feel there's better ways to joke around than repeating "ok boomer" over and over.

10 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

waifu (used unironically

Agreed. Such a shamelessly misogynistic term/concept, I hate it. Especially when it's used to describe strong, well-written female characters who amount to so much more than some straight guy's sexual fantasy. Even used jokingly, I feel like it's in such poor taste nowadays.

I hate "thot" for the exact same reason.

Wow a lot of people don't like profanities.

I think people develop distaste for a word for multiple reasons;

One being that a word gets a negative feeling behind from a bad event proceeding the word, like for example when parents only swear when bad things are happening, so its easy for someone to align swearing with something bad.

Someone could also dislike a word because its often said by types they dislike.

2 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

a shamelessly misogynistic term/concept, I hate it.

This here is really good example, the term Waifu has taken on a new definition for you. Its a word only meant for avid anime fans to declare their love for a fictional character. For you its evolved into a hateful term.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"Pog" and its variations have been overused to exhaustion by now.

Overused is common reason to hate anything really, I agree with you. Hearing something over and over again gets real annoying.

The last reason I can think of is disliking a word because it often gets misused.

9 hours ago, BLSoldier said:

Also, can we stop using the phrase "social distancing?" We're physically distancing dammit!

Why they used the term social distancing is strange because that's closer to emotional distancing rather then physical so its just incorrect.

Reminds me of when my mother says to 'unthaw' the meat when she meant to say thaw but felt inclined to the 'un' part, thawing something already means to unfreeze so to unthaw is to freeze. A bad habit but a funny one at that.

15 hours ago, BLSoldier said:

Also, can we stop using the phrase "social distancing?" We're physically distancing dammit!

Let's come back to this when the word homeless is eradicated from the lexicon.

23 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Profanities. I hate every single one of them and wish they would disappear. 

"To me, fuck is not a word. It's a comma." --Lewis Black

In the proper context, cuss words are appropriate and are even expected from anyone. What are you going to say when you drop a pot of freshly cooked spaghetti on the floor, "oh, fiddlesticks?" "Mother of Pearl?"

I hate it when the prefix "pre-" overused. Preheated, prerecorded, preboarded? Pre-tty please, can the preparation for the preparation.

Edited by Karimlan

C'mon. you know you want to say it.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Glennstavos said:

I hate inflammable, because it means the same thing as flammable. Why do we need two words for this one phenomenon?

There's also irradiated

Of all the words I hate though, nothing gets me all worked up as preventative. It's preventive, you healthcare idiots!

Edited by Karimlan

Someone here mentioned slurs and I very much hope that those top everyone’s list. They top mine.

Anyway, obvious out of the way, I suppose I don’t really like the word waifu used seriously. I’m not really sure how to explain it, it just gives me that “ugh” feeling, but I think that’s how people feel about the word moist? Anyway the word waifu is so easy to make fun of that, on a Fire Emblem forum anyway, there are so many jokes to be had and I... don’t resist.

As far as the profanities talk goes, it’s more so how and when they’re used if they bother me. In the world at large I always here them every now and then, but it’s only when you always talk like a sailor who just stubbed their toe when I’m really having a problem. Unless these words are slurs, of course.

Lastly, this is not a word, but I have seen and received some so many rude comments with the 😂 emoji (displayed on an iPhone device so if you’re not on one it may look differently, I’m talking about this one), that I can’t see it as anything other than the expression sent by someone who thinks they’re so much better than you because you said something they disagree with on the internet. People will essentially just say “no” with this emoji ESPECIALLY ON TWITTER like that’s an argument and it drives me up the wall. Not the emoji’s fault, but I can’t take it the same way. It’s something about the way it’s used combine with the tears and the huge smile that just gives such a holier-than-thou vibe, and I’m sure that this is largely stemming from how I’ve seen it used, that it slightly grinds my gears to see. It just gives such an air of I’m-laughing-at-your-post/writing/you-because-I’m-so-much-better and I know that this is the dumbest thing for me to dislike but I do, so...

20 hours ago, Benice said:

Guacamole and Jalapeno, but only because most people pronounce 'em wrong where I live. As well as slurs, but that sorta goes without saying.

How do you pronounce Guacamole differently? Guaca... hole with an M? Like the animal?

15 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The amount of people here who hate curses and people who curse is making me feel rather uncomfortable. Not saying you're wrong or anything, I just feel personally called out. Oh, well.

If the chat thread is anything to go by, you’re not bad at all. You curse as much as a typical fantasy character (that’s the best simile? I have, and it probably doesn’t work. Oh well).

"Simp", more than anything for me. Most people who use it unironically imply things that I really don't like. Maybe it's just me, but it seems anything other than "thot destroyer gamer bro" is a simp. See what I mean?

Oh yeah, this too.

Edit: I do use simp ironically as well.

Edited by Sooks

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

How do you pronounce Guacamole differently? Guaca... hole with an M? Like the animal?

The G is kind of a guttural GHKKHH sound, if that makes sense. And the e at the end is an "Ay" sound.

So, it's more-or-less pronounced Whack-A-Molay, whereas I often hear Gwak-Amolie.

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

The G is kind of a guttural GHKKHH sound, if that makes sense. And the e at the end is an "Ay" sound.

So, it's more-or-less pronounced Whack-A-Molay, whereas I often hear Gwak-Amolie.

So what about Jalapeno? Does the J sound like the beginning of George?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

So what about Jalapeno? Does the J sound like the beginning of George?

The J in Jalapeno is basically an H. (The N is also actually an Ñ, which means that it's a "gn" sound as opposed to an n sound.)

I usually hear it pronounced Japaleeno, but I think the correct way is Halapegno.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

The J in Jalapeno is basically an H. (The N is also actually an Ñ, which means that it's a "gn" sound as opposed to an n sound.)

I don’t know what gn is, but I paid attention in Spanish, so I know what ñ sounds like, and therefore what gn sounds like! Hooray!

I usually hear it pronounced Japaleeno,

LOL

but I think the correct way is Halapegno.

Yes that’s correct!

Where I live I have only ever heard guacamole pronounced how you hear others saying it, but further research shows that it’s actually a Spanish word, not originating in the English language, but we changed the pronunciation, so congratulations on being correct! I’m still pronouncing it the “wrong” way though, because otherwise no one would know what I’m talking about. Oh well.

But I guess it makes sense, English doesn’t really have the Ay sound.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I’m still pronouncing it the “wrong” way though, because otherwise no one would know what I’m talking about. Oh well.

Ah, it's totally fine. For some reason, I really get semantic regarding spelling and pronunciation.

28 minutes ago, Benice said:

Ah, it's totally fine. For some reason, I really get semantic regarding spelling and pronunciation.

Oh I wasn’t saying that in like an apologetic sort of way, I was just remarking about how deeply rooted that pronunciation is in our... linguistics? I guess that’s the word.