What are some words you hate and why?

22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh I wasn’t saying that in like an apologetic sort of way, I was just remarking about how deeply rooted that pronunciation is in our... linguistics? I guess that’s the word.

Maybe dialect is the better word? Either way, yeah.

4 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

snip

This answers nothing you troll.

Apparently a bunch of you shouldn't be talking to me, I don't care about 'slurs' or if anyone else does profanity or...pretty much just about anything mentioned here.

I hate the word God. I mean this academically. Not as in I hate religion. Like I wish we had a separate word or at least a name we could use for divine or celestial beings.

When we say God/goddess we could imply any divine being or immortal from Greek or Norse mythology or refer to any of the beings worshipped in Shintoism (since kami translated is God in English) or even incompass ones from other religions. Further more, God is the name of one specific divine being in one religion. So it could be used as a vague umbrella word or as a name for one specifically. That has always vexed me. I'm in favor of giving God a name (the one from Christianity, catholicism,  and all the other branches within that religion since I can't begin to name them all). Others have names so why not him? Zeus is a God with a name. Morrigan is a goddess. We have loads of them with names but not the one from the religion that makes up a huge population of world. I think Buddha is a God but I'm like pretty sure that isn't accurate.  

I also dislike profanity to a great extent but I don't mind if others around me use it. A few other people in this thread have dropped a few words I dislike. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Edited by Tediz64

20 hours ago, Shrow said:

This here is really good example, the term Waifu has taken on a new definition for you. Its a word only meant for avid anime fans to declare their love for a fictional character. For you its evolved into a hateful term.

Not so much a hateful term, more of an objectifying one. I just find the term and the subculture that goes with it to be very skeevy and disrespectful to women. Taking admirable, relatable or sympathetic female characters and reducing them to cutesy stereotypes, sticking them on "tier lists" based on sex appeal, claiming a certain character as "theirs". I'm not gonna go deep into the ethics of how much you can mistreat a fictional character, but all these things paint a pretty good picture of how certain avid anime fans (and members of the gaming community) view women, that they can't see a female character past how "doable" they are. It reflects poorly on the community as a whole too, as many times (typically on other sites) it's assumed that any praise for a female character is coming from a horny straight guy. Which is particularly disrespectful and alienating to female fans, as well as LGBTQ+ fans like me.

14 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

This answers nothing you troll.

It is an extremely useful skill to have.

I just think "gamer" is a dumb word. It's not because of what it means or because of how people use it- that's almost a separate question from what I was asking, but it's a very stupid sounding label. If you enjoy movies, you enjoy movies. You might even be called a movie goer. Go is a verb. "Game" is not a verb and people don't use it like one.

10 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

I'm in favor of giving God a name (the one from Christianity, catholicism,  and all the other branches within that religion since I can't begin to name them all).

He does. Several of them, in fact. YHWH is a pretty well known one.

The reason God is referred to with a capitalized form of the "generic" term is because Christianity is a devoutly monotheistic religion. He is not "a god" but "the God," of which there are no other examples. Patterns like that are persistent across cultures and history. Arabic Christians call God "Allah" because that's the Arabic term for deity. Zeus is merely a corruption of a proto-European root which would also become the Latin deus- in other words, it simply means "god" (this probably reflects the origin of pagan religions as monotheistic worship of a "Sky Father" which later adopted other deities and practices).

10 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

We have loads of them with names but not the one from the religion that makes up a huge population of world.

Note that all these names other gods have are not particular inspired. The Greek god of fruit is called "Karpos," which means...fruit. Most names of deities are titles or descriptions of their realms, if not derivatives of such. It's a weird approach to names to think of them as being separate from descriptive terms and proclamations.

That being said it does raise an interesting point about imprecision in theology. Jews and Christians and Muslims don't agree on who God is, and even among themselves don't agree on that or what terms which describe Him mean. "Omnibenevolence" is not a well or consistently defined term. That said I don't really mind the word.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

5 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

And yet you don't seem to have any problem with "husbando".

Who said I didn't? I just don't see it used as commonly (or in the same amount of seriousness) on a regular basis so it doesn't really bother me the same way.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:14 PM, twilitfalchion said:

waifu (used unironically;...

I didn't know it had other uses (or meanings). Can you give an example? So I can see how else it used

On 1/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, RainbowMoon said:

Agreed. Such a shamelessly misogynistic term/concept, I hate it. Especially when it's used to describe strong, well-written female characters who amount to so much more than some straight guy's sexual fantasy. Even used jokingly, I feel like it's in such poor taste nowadays.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, Shrow said:

This here is really good example, the term Waifu has taken on a new definition for you. Its a word only meant for avid anime fans to declare their love for a fictional character. For you its evolved into a hateful term.

I never saw this word until just a few years ago and I have to say, the same meaning RainbowMoon has of it (or at least their understanding of it) is the only one I know. Look at the snip below for a better more articulated definition of how the word is used and what it symbolizes. That snip below is the only interpretation of it I ever knew. 

12 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

Not so much a hateful term, more of an objectifying one. I just find the term and the subculture that goes with it to be very skeevy and disrespectful to women. Taking admirable, relatable or sympathetic female characters and reducing them to cutesy stereotypes, sticking them on "tier lists" based on sex appeal, claiming a certain character as "theirs". I'm not gonna go deep into the ethics of how much you can mistreat a fictional character, but all these things paint a pretty good picture of how certain avid anime fans (and members of the gaming community) view women, that they can't see a female character past how "doable" they are. It reflects poorly on the community as a whole too, as many times (typically on other sites) it's assumed that any praise for a female character is coming from a horny straight guy. Which is particularly disrespectful and alienating to female fans, as well as LGBTQ+ fans like me.

All in all, I might not have as strong as feelings as moon, but I do think that word and husbando are nothing more than insults to the characters themselves.  When people deflect and say they are just joking, they really aren't, or at least I don't think so.

22 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I just think "gamer" is a dumb word. It's not because of what it means or because of how people use it- that's almost a separate question from what I was asking, but it's a very stupid sounding label. If you enjoy movies, you enjoy movies. You might even be called a movie goer. Go is a verb. "Game" is not a verb and people don't use it like one.

...Alright, I'll give you that, that's a fair issue to have, hadn't thought of it that way.

16 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

All in all, I might not have as strong as feelings as moon, but I do think that word and husbando are nothing more than insults to the characters themselves.

That's a really good way to put it, I think. Both terms are insulting to the characters as well as their fans.