Fire Emblem Awakening is the most broken game in the series.

Marry Robin to Nowi. Make Morgan Manakete. And that’s the game.

In all seriousness though, I love Awakening but it is really easy if you know how to use the Second Seal.  You make some ridiculous builds and solo the game with certain units. Such as Manakete Morgan. Another is Hero Donnel. He will have Armsthrift with 40-50 Luck. Give him Mercurius. It won’t use a point of durability. Make Olivia buff, give her Galeforce, pass it on to a broken Armsthrift Mercurius Inigo.

Move Inigo. 1 turn. Dance for him. Move him and attack and win against something. 2 turns. Galeforce. 3 whole times to move a single unit. This works well with a Pair Up  Sumia in the final map, because she can carry Chrom to Grima. S Support Chrom/Sumia. Both capped. Good luck. You just beat the game. 

That's true, although I wouldn't say it's strictly a bad thing. Awakening may be easily broken, but you can just as easily place restrictions on yourself to make for a much more challenging experience. No pair-up, no grinding hard mode can be brutal, for example.

Although, as the above user mentioned, it can be mindless fun to just curbstomp everything with OP units/skills/pairings, etc.

I see this and raise you Genealogy of the Holy War. Also, I'd say it's more the grinding you do that breaks it, if you're sending capped units at the final boss.

Awakening used to be my absolute favorite game in the series because of this but, my opinion on it has changed ever since I've played the older games. 

It's one of, if not, the worst one. (Fe1 always takes the cake) I used to think the grind fest and capping character stats and giving them all these broken skills was epic, to the point they could solo Lunatic maps by themselves. So I recently went back to play it after playing FE9 and, it's not as a good as I thought it was. It's just a stat-cap grind fest. There is almost zero strategy to it at all. Yeah sure, you could not grind or reclass and play it like an older FE but your severely hindering yourself with that and if you play on any difficulty above normal it's going to be nigh impossible to beat the game. Another reason is there is almost no reason to use first-generation characters over their children because of the stat-cap skill grind fest gameplay. I always go back to units like Stahl and Sully, in any other FE title not on the 3ds, those two would be top-tier S characters. But in a game like Awakening, they're mediocre units completely outshined by their children. 

Not to mention taking the reclassing system out of your game style take half the game away. 

Sorry, I know this turned into a bash reply but I just couldn't help it since I just put FE13 down half way through after playing it again for this single reason. I think Conquest and Three Houses do what Awakening does but much better and not a boring, broken quest.

3 hours ago, The Moon Mage said:

That's an odd way of spelling Thracia 776. Don't get me wrong thracia is still a good game but you can't deny that so much of the game can be broken into a pieces. 

Is it possibly to solo the majority of the game with Nosferatu and literally only a single unit? because I seriously doubt any other FE game gets this braindead without at least effort from the player.

Personally, this is why Awakening turned me off, if you wanna see all those supports/child units, you have to constantly wait IRL days for enemy spawns and can easily get yourself stuck since you tried using everyone early on but now you've hit a stage where the game expects you to have decently levelled units but since that EXP was all spread around, now you're stuck, so trying to experience all the content is a drag, so it's not fun because it feels like playing an obnoxious mobile game and being locked out of it. 

This is very much A: not a good introduction to FE and B: Not fun at all to me. 

Or you just Nosferatu Robin then the game is quite literally braindead to the point where it feels like the developers never play-tested the game properly, doubly so if you have Nosferatu Tharja.

There's no real strategy and the game is just boring, either you extend your playtime by weeks via waiting for spawns or you play the exact opposite of a strategy game and play most of the game on auto pilot with Nosferatu in my experience.

Heroes has an energy system that actually feels less intrusive than the grinding in Awakening, that's how bad it is, Awakening legitmately feels more like one of those free-to-play mobile games that tell you to buy premium currency so you can get a booster so the grinding isn't tedious than the actual FE mobile game, just replace boosters and such with DLC grind levels.

Edited by Samz707

On 1/28/2021 at 5:52 PM, Samz707 said:

Is it possibly to solo the majority of the game with Nosferatu and literally only a single unit? because I seriously doubt any other FE game gets this braindead without at least effort from the player.

Personally, this is why Awakening turned me off, if you wanna see all those supports/child units, you have to constantly wait IRL days for enemy spawns and can easily get yourself stuck since you tried using everyone early on but now you've hit a stage where the game expects you to have decently levelled units but since that EXP was all spread around, now you're stuck, so trying to experience all the content is a drag, so it's not fun because it feels like playing an obnoxious mobile game and being locked out of it. 

This is very much A: not a good introduction to FE and B: Not fun at all to me. 

Or you just Nosferatu Robin then the game is quite literally braindead to the point where it feels like the developers never play-tested the game properly, doubly so if you have Nosferatu Tharja.

There's no real strategy and the game is just boring, either you extend your playtime by weeks via waiting for spawns or you play the exact opposite of a strategy game and play most of the game on auto pilot with Nosferatu in my experience.

Heroes has an energy system that actually feels less intrusive than the grinding in Awakening, that's how bad it is, Awakening legitmately feels more like one of those free-to-play mobile games that tell you to buy premium currency so you can get a booster so the grinding isn't tedious than the actual FE mobile game, just replace boosters and such with DLC grind levels.

Doesn't sound as bad as how broken Genealogy is - for one, Robin doesn't start overpowered, whereas Sigurd does. And that's putting aside the fact that he gets a Silver Sword... in the prologue. That's right, they made an already broken unit even more broken. And that's not even getting into when he gets his holy weapon (which tend to be hilariously broken)... that being said, Robin being overpowered does make sense in the context of Awakening's story, considering what they're the result of, and the breeders' intentions for them...

On 1/28/2021 at 2:52 PM, sinfonic18 said:

Another reason is there is almost no reason to use first-generation characters over their children because of the stat-cap skill grind fest gameplay. I always go back to units like Stahl and Sully, in any other FE title not on the 3ds, those two would be top-tier S characters. But in a game like Awakening, they're mediocre units completely outshined by their children. 

I don't know about you, but that still sounds better than what Genealogy has going on, where someone like Jamke or Lewyn, who would be amazing in just about any other FE game, is not that good just because they're a foot unit in the most mount-friendly game in the series. Just to put things into perspective, the latter can get a holy weapon, and one of the best holy weapons in the game, at that. Too bad that the maps in Genealogy are so big that the mounted units will get to the enemy long before they have the chance to do anything.

Edited by Shadow Mir

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't know about you, but that still sounds better than what Genealogy has going on, where someone like Jamke or Lewyn, who would be amazing in just about any other FE game, is not that good just because they're a foot unit in the most mount-friendly game in the series. Just to put things into perspective, the latter can get a holy weapon, and one of the best holy weapons in the game, at that. Too bad that the maps in Genealogy are so big that the mounted units will get to the enemy long before they have the chance to do anything.

Well, I've never played Genealogy so I feel it's unfair for me to judge it so I won't. But from what you're telling me it sounds like the exact opposite of Awakening where mounted or not, a unit can be a map clearer if you put the time into them or completely meh.

1 hour ago, sinfonic18 said:

Well, I've never played Genealogy so I feel it's unfair for me to judge it so I won't. But from what you're telling me it sounds like the exact opposite of Awakening where mounted or not, a unit can be a map clearer if you put the time into them or completely meh.

I... wouldn't say that. Rather, I would say that certain characters have obscene advantages, with three things in particular being important.

4 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Hmm, fair enough.

I will note I mentioned one of those advantages already (holy blood). The other two are Pursuit and a horse - the former is needed to double, and the latter is because the maps in Genealogy are GINORMOUS.

It's so broken and so much fun! I like marrying Aversa so Morgan has Shadowgift, getting her Galeforce as much as possible, and turning her into a Sage for Tomefaire. From there, she can use Mire to snipe foes and then either Rally or use Fortify to heal. It's far too much fun...although at that point, my whole team is overpowered, so...

16 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I will note I mentioned one of those advantages already (holy blood). The other two are Pursuit and a horse - the former is needed to double, and the latter is because the maps in Genealogy are GINORMOUS.

Wait what? Speed doesn't dictate whether you double or get doubled in Genealogy?

6 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

Wait what? Speed doesn't dictate whether you double or get doubled in Genealogy?

Bingo. Or to be more accurate, it does, but aside from having more AS than the enemy, you need Pursuit to double.

23 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Bingo. Or to be more accurate, it does, but aside from having more AS than the enemy, you need Pursuit to double.

That's kind of stupid sounding but of course if I played it I'd probably like the feature 

2 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

That's kind of stupid sounding but of course if I played it I'd probably like the feature 

I am not a fan of Genealogy, but I feel like the mechanic wasn't used well there. It isn't inherently a bad mechanic, but FE4 wasn't the best place for it, at least in my opinion. It is a combination of the Genealogy's large maps, inheritance mechanic and overall unit balance. Unit and weapon balance is 100% not the point of Genealogy, but Pursuit does kind of invalidate a lot of units. (Granted, most units for the first while are somewhat pointless because of the Jagen/Lord, but he does fall off midway through the game for most players.) It's not a terrible use of the mechanic, but it's not a great one either. More often than not, skills matter more than stats do in FE4 regardless, but having stats is still important.

FE4 is unique, hence why a lot of people hate it and many love it-I'd personally suggest simply trying it out yourself as blind as possible rather than read debates; you'll probably be able to tell pretty quickly if it's your kind of game. (Also note that the game was not designed to be completed quickly, so don't expect to complete a map in one sitting. It's a marathon, not a sprint.) It can either be played blind or with a guide, as there are secret events. None of them are essential, though, so don't worry too much about it.

Awakening is what I refer to as a "junk food" kinda game. It's not gonna be the best game you ever played, and maybe isin't great for you, but its fun to just play. I started with Awakening and I still think rather highly of it, but I will admit that it doesn't offer much in the way of challenge... or thinking. There *is* lunatic but no, I beat it once and never again.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:01 AM, Benice said:

I am not a fan of Genealogy, but I feel like the mechanic wasn't used well there. It isn't inherently a bad mechanic, but FE4 wasn't the best place for it, at least in my opinion. It is a combination of the Genealogy's large maps, inheritance mechanic and overall unit balance. Unit and weapon balance is 100% not the point of Genealogy, but Pursuit does kind of invalidate a lot of units. (Granted, most units for the first while are somewhat pointless because of the Jagen/Lord, but he does fall off midway through the game for most players.) It's not a terrible use of the mechanic, but it's not a great one either. More often than not, skills matter more than stats do in FE4 regardless, but having stats is still important.

FE4 is unique, hence why a lot of people hate it and many love it-I'd personally suggest simply trying it out yourself as blind as possible rather than read debates; you'll probably be able to tell pretty quickly if it's your kind of game. (Also note that the game was not designed to be completed quickly, so don't expect to complete a map in one sitting. It's a marathon, not a sprint.) It can either be played blind or with a guide, as there are secret events. None of them are essential, though, so don't worry too much about it.

Okay well this is a lot to take in. It sounds fun, it's something new that I haven't tried before in the series since the games released outside of Japan are amazing, but a little too easy even on difficult modes. Like Binding Blade for instance is 10x harder than Blazing Blade. 

I'm supposing a "What are the best units to use in Genealogy of the Holy War" topic shouldn't be created if I should play it blind though, lol. 

Buuut, I am curious as to why unit and weapon balance isn't that big of a deal in FE4. Is there only like, 4 or 5 units worth using and the rest are hot trash (like FE6). For me personally though, a lot of units that people don't recommend for these games turn out great for me in the end. (Gonzales and Mia for example) 

55 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

I'm supposing a "What are the best units to use in Genealogy of the Holy War" topic shouldn't be created if I should play it blind though, lol. 

Nope. You can deploy everyone.

55 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

Buuut, I am curious as to why unit and weapon balance isn't that big of a deal in FE4. Is there only like, 4 or 5 units worth using and the rest are hot trash (like FE6). For me personally though, a lot of units that people don't recommend for these games turn out great for me in the end. (Gonzales and Mia for example) 

The thing is, weapon and unit balance is EVEN WORSE than in Binding Blade. Long story short, on the weapon front, swords and wind magic rule, axes and fire magic drool. For units? Let's just say there's a reason the game is often called Horse Emblem... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by Shadow Mir

8 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Buuut, I am curious as to why unit and weapon balance isn't that big of a deal in FE4. Is there only like, 4 or 5 units worth using and the rest are hot trash (like FE6). For

Somewhat. You can actually use whoever the heck you want, (The game is generally fairly easy as far as I've played) but the game more uses the gameplay to push the story-For example, lore-wise, one person with Major Holy Blood can singlehandedly turn the tides of a war, and the legendary weapons are devastating-And that's exactly what the gameplay shows as well. Other stuff certainly favors others, such as horses and whatnot. And, while it is true that Axes and Fire magic are infinitely worse than swords or Wind magic, that doesn't mean you can't use 'em, and you can have potent or useful units. (Plus, there's a hidden Brave Axe which is super powerful.) With the lone exceptions of chapter have and the Final Chapter, (12, IIRC), the game's not very punishing strategically. Infantry doesn't automatically mean bad either, as two of the better units, Dew and Sylvia, are footlocked. The balance is balanced around being unbalanced, if that makes sense.

Personally, I think that approaching FE4 more as an interactive story you help write rather than a conventional strategy game. It's not really like any other FE before or after, really.

8 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

For me personally though, a lot of units that people don't recommend for these games turn out great for me in the end. (Gonzales and Mia for example) 

I think that in the case of this game, it's mostly the fact that a unit you get in the first map is a prepromote with amazing bases and growths, and because of FE4's promotion system, he gains exp at the same rate as all other units. That said, you could use literally anyone you like. Some units gain horses after promotion as well, so there's that. Basically anyone can turn out amazing in this game if you want them to.

Edited by Benice

On 1/29/2021 at 5:17 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Doesn't sound as bad as how broken Genealogy is - for one, Robin doesn't start overpowered, whereas Sigurd does. And that's putting aside the fact that he gets a Silver Sword... in the prologue. That's right, they made an already broken unit even more broken. And that's not even getting into when he gets his holy weapon (which tend to be hilariously broken)... that being said, Robin being overpowered does make sense in the context of Awakening's story, considering what they're the result of, and the breeders' intentions for them...

Not that i disagree that Tyrfing is good, but you get to use that for 1 chapter. Does it really matter that much? Not to mention you have to repair it from broken status at base, which costs... alot. Any unprepared player won't afford to repair Tyrfing more than likely.

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Not that i disagree that Tyrfing is good, but you get to use that for 1 chapter. Does it really matter that much? Not to mention you have to repair it from broken status at base, which costs... alot. Any unprepared player won't afford to repair Tyrfing more than likely.

Fair enough. I think the other stuff is more important anyway, especially his getting a silver sword in the prologue.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:52 AM, Shadow Mir said:

Nope. You can deploy everyone.

The thing is, weapon and unit balance is EVEN WORSE than in Binding Blade. Long story short, on the weapon front, swords and wind magic rule, axes and fire magic drool. For units? Let's just say there's a reason the game is often called Horse Emblem... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

...What?

Oh god, are you serious? I don't know if I'm ready to go through ANOTHER FE where swing of a weapon is like playing the lottery. Although... Swords and Wind magic being actually good excites me, since there aren't many FEs where those aren't overshadowed. 

Well, mounted units are OP in every FE (seriously, I wish they would rebalance mounted and flying units in the next entry)

On 2/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, Benice said:

Somewhat. You can actually use whoever the heck you want, (The game is generally fairly easy as far as I've played) but the game more uses the gameplay to push the story-For example, lore-wise, one person with Major Holy Blood can singlehandedly turn the tides of a war, and the legendary weapons are devastating-And that's exactly what the gameplay shows as well. Other stuff certainly favors others, such as horses and whatnot. And, while it is true that Axes and Fire magic are infinitely worse than swords or Wind magic, that doesn't mean you can't use 'em, and you can have potent or useful units. (Plus, there's a hidden Brave Axe which is super powerful.) With the lone exceptions of chapter have and the Final Chapter, (12, IIRC), the game's not very punishing strategically. Infantry doesn't automatically mean bad either, as two of the better units, Dew and Sylvia, are footlocked. The balance is balanced around being unbalanced, if that makes sense.

Personally, I think that approaching FE4 more as an interactive story you help write rather than a conventional strategy game. It's not really like any other FE before or after, really.

I think that in the case of this game, it's mostly the fact that a unit you get in the first map is a prepromote with amazing bases and growths, and because of FE4's promotion system, he gains exp at the same rate as all other units. That said, you could use literally anyone you like. Some units gain horses after promotion as well, so there's that. Basically anyone can turn out amazing in this game if you want them to.

It sounds really fun. I'd love to give it a try. Although I've been kinda burned by FE1, I've been reluctant to give games pre-binding blade a try. Genealogy isn't as archaic and clunky to the point of unplayability as FE1 is though I'd imagine. Sounds like the opposite of Tellius in terms of weapons lol.

So if that's the case then I imagine it's extremely easy (Even more than Awakening? Perhaps like 3H Normal). Not that that's a bad thing, while I prefer a harder difficulty easy isn't bad as long as it requires some sort of strategical planning, even if a little. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:40 PM, sinfonic18 said:

So if that's the case then I imagine it's extremely easy (Even more than Awakening? Perhaps like 3H Normal). Not that that's a bad thing, while I prefer a harder difficulty easy isn't bad as long as it requires some sort of strategical planning, even if a little. 

Look, Awakening and Genealogy are my favorite games in the franchise, so I can say as someone who is familiar with both: they are practically on the same level. It is no exaggeration to say that the first part of FE4 comes down to "Sigurd kills everyone while the rest tries to help as much as they can". If you play your cards right during the inheritance, the second generation will be even easier. You just have to throw Seliph / Leif / Ares / Forseti user in the middle of the map and enemies will commit suicide on them, and you will never have a problem with money. Of course, there are some moments with Kaga difficulty, but they're few and far between, and it's more annoying than hard itself. Besides, the arena can be used by anyone to grind and no one dies if they lose, so thanks to the game's deterministic RNG you can complete it with all the characters if you have patience.

FE4 is hard carried by it's story, which imo is still unmatched to this day.

Edited by Maof06