List 1 minor change you'd make

How about we each list 1 change that you think, by which I mean that it doesn't matter how many others don't think is minor, is minor that you would make to the 2nd favorite person that's as a member of the House we taught in our 1st playthrough? and mine's Ash

The minor(in my opinion) change that I would make to Ash that I think is minor is that prior to him being adopted by Lord Lonato he fed his family by stealing stuff, which is why I would allow him to become A Trickster without having previously spend time as A Thief

Edited by James Marshall

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

Maybe defeating him with Ashe or Edelgard could give you the option to spare?

Ashe, I could see pushing Lonato to surrender - particularly if he (Ashe) puts his own life at risk, or if Lonato is made to consider how Lonato's stance put Ashe in danger from the Church, too. But even if Lonato lives, he's likely to be executed by the Church. Best-case scenario, his duchy is repossessed, and he's banished from Fodlan.

I'd disagree with Edelgard being able to spare Lonato. One of her strongest lines was about not pitying Lonato's followers as victims - but rather, respecting their choice, as opposing combatants. I imagine Edelgard realizes that Lonato knows the hopelessness of his stand - and yet, were she in his position, she would almost certainly not accept being spared by an agent of her mortal enemy. I don't see her sparing a Lonato who expresses no desire for mercy, even if she has her own doubts about the Church's activity in this case.

...And this is just going to turn into another "Edelgood/Edelbad" thread, isn't it.

I’d be able to like Marianne a lot more if:

• She had a personality beyond being depressed, it feels like that’s literally her entire self to me, anyway, and I don’t think that’s very realistic.

• Literally ALL of her development, didn’t happen off screen

• We knew what specifically she hates so much about herself beyond just “I’m bad”. Now bear with me for a second, I don’t know whether this is more relatable or not to her fan base, but she could have been a lot better as a character if we knew where this self-loathing comes from or what she thinks her flaws are, instead of her just not liking herself, just because..? and that’s literally all we get.

Alright, flame me in the replies.

Er wait, does this count as minor? I just sort of started ranting.

8 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

...And this is just going to turn into another "Edelgood/Edelbad" thread, isn't it.

I don’t see how so. Not sparing the enemy commander who seems very intent on fighting to the death doesn’t make her seem like the scum of the Earth. I mean, people excuse her conquering the continent!

51 minutes ago, Sooks said:

She had a personality beyond being depressed, it feels like that’s literally her entire self to me, anyway, and I don’t think that’s very realistic.

There's a lot more there, though! She's very sociable with animals - particularly Dorte the horse, and various wild birds. She's also a devout follower of the Church of Seiros.

53 minutes ago, Sooks said:

We knew what specifically she hates so much about herself beyond just “I’m bad”. Now bear with me for a second, I don’t know whether this is more relatable or not to her fan base, but she could have been a lot better as a character if we knew where this self-loathing comes from or what she thinks her flaws are, instead of her just not liking herself, just because..? and that’s literally all we get.

Marianne thinks her Crest is cursed, and can't tell people about it due to its troubling implications. Her parents disappeared a few years ago, and she blames herself for that. Her adoptive father isn't really invested in her, beyond setting her up with another noble. At game's start, she doesn't have anyone who really cares about her - so in turn, she doesn't value herself.

5 hours ago, James Marshall said:

The minor(in my opinion) change that I would make to Ash that I think is minor is that prior to him being dopted by Lord Lonato he fed his family by stealing stuff, which is why I would allow him to become A Trickster without having previously spend time as A Thief

This would be a good one! With the caveat that certification pre-reqs (Dark Mage before Dark Bishop, Thief before Trickster) shouldn't have been a thing in the first place. Huh, maybe that could be my "one small change".

Dunno if it counts as a minor change, but I'd have doubled or tripled the skill EXP gain, personally. Perhaps it's just me, but I felt like, Commoner/Noble aside, classes took far too long to master in general.

One minor change I would definitely make is to bring back the feature from Awakening/Fates where if you learn a sixth skill in battle, you're given the option to immediately remove one of your existing skills in order to set it. Same for combat arts. The fact that the game doesn't do this is annoying; I hate having to remember to do it between fights.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

There's a lot more there, though! She's very sociable with animals - particularly Dorte the horse, and various wild birds. She's also a devout follower of the Church of Seiros.

Ehhhh.

I know, but those are more interests then a personality. I mean it depends how you slice it really, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Her parents disappeared a few years ago, and she blames herself for that. Her adoptive father isn't really invested in her, beyond setting her up with another noble. At game's start, she doesn't have anyone who really cares about her - so in turn, she doesn't value herself.

Where does this come from? I guess I missed it in the supports and/or her paralogue...

Maybe this counts as two things, but I'd like it if some characters simply refused to fight each other depending on their relationship. Prime example being Ashe and Lonato.

I'd also like characters other than Byleth being able to spare/recruit others, again depending on their relationship. I'd keep it exclusive to characters with a history together, and maybe with at least C support.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ehhhh.

I know, but those are more interests then a personality. I mean it depends how you slice it really, I suppose.

Where does this come from? I guess I missed it in the supports and/or her paralogue...

Okay, I reviewed her supports. For me to say that she blames herself for her parent's death was... overstating the case. She does, however, blame her "cursed" Crest - which she is burdened to bear. She mentions her adoptive father's callousness in her Byleth support. The "nobody else cares about her, so she doesn't value herself" is more my own interpretation of her situation (she acknowledges no human friendships inside the monastery or out, even as Lysithea and Hilda try to warm up to her from the start), rather than something explicitly stated.

I'd give the supports a gander. She starts with negative self-esteem, but contrary to her character development being "all off-screen", most of her support chains demonstrate her coming out of her shell, beginning to trust those around her, and starting to value herself. She goes from pulling away to the conversation or activity at hand, to leaning in. And her paralogue shows her coming face-to-face with a manifestation of her Crest, and figuratively overcoming its hold on her psyche. If anything, I would say she has one of the strongest and best-presented character arcs in the game. But that much is up to the player's discretion, I suppose.

Anyway, I have a better small change: more diverse enemy weapon types! As varied as the weapon system is in Three Houses, it seems like 95% of enemies are carrying Iron/Steel/Silver weapons of their class types. Let's do more Braves, more Killers, and effective weapons like the Mace or Horseslayer (even the Rapier could show up in enemy hands this time around).

Different animations for each combat art, or at least for the special combat arts.
Okay that's not really small I guess

I'll go for a Quick menu for explore. When you'd choose Explore you can choose to have a menu instead of loading the entire monastery. From this menu you can select your activities rather than running around. (Obviously not everything is available here, like picking up lost items, but who even does the lost items stuff after the first playthrough.)

One change (albeit it may not be necessarily minor) I would make that Desperation functions more like Quick Riposte minus the requirement needed to activate. Since Desperation is a player phase ability, it help give slower characters an edge when their double attack would be able to score a kill. Yes being at 50% HP or less may not be an ideal thing to have early on in the game but it makes it at least somewhat more desirable. The way it is now is only suited for much faster units like Ingrid or Leonie. Plus only having to be faster than the enemy in order to perform an immediate follow up attack to me is a bit unfair since mastering the Cavalier class is not great to begin with. 

If I can make another minor change is make all riding base classes only have a -5% speed growth since Cavaliers, Paladins and Great Knights both have a -10% speed growth. Though I guess Great Knights having that low of a speed growth is more understandable since they are also an armored class as well.

12 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'd disagree with Edelgard being able to spare Lonato. One of her strongest lines was about not pitying Lonato's followers as victims - but rather, respecting their choice, as opposing combatants. I imagine Edelgard realizes that Lonato knows the hopelessness of his stand - and yet, were she in his position, she would almost certainly not accept being spared by an agent of her mortal enemy. I don't see her sparing a Lonato who expresses no desire for mercy, even if she has her own doubts about the Church's activity in this case.

Ah, I do see your point there. I hadn't even considered her convo with Byleth afterwards, I was mainly thinking about her similarities to Lonato and how she prefers to minimize casualties whenever she can. I agree that she wouldn't spare Lonato under the circumstances provided by the game. However, one thing I find interesting is that Lonato has no unique battle dialogue if Edelgard engages him. In other words, he likely knows nothing about her or how she feels about the Church. That leads me to wonder, what if they did exchange a few words beforehand and Lonato began to see that maybe his stand wasn't so hopeless after all, as there are others (the future Adrestian Emperor, no less) who disagree with the Church's actions. Edelgard could potentially get him to stand down and gain his support as a Kingdom lord (a la Gwendal) in the coming war. Sort of an "I spare you, you help me" deal. Of course, for this to work, we'd either have to assume nobody else (especially Catherine) hears them or have the conversation take place offscreen after the battle. Also, much like choosing to keep the Lance of Ruin in ch.5, sparing Lonato would decrease support with Rhea.

Just a thought, though. With a little bit of rewriting it could work, but having Ashe be the only one able to spare him would definitely be the easier option.

31 minutes ago, RainbowMoon said:

Edelgard could potentially get him to stand down and gain his support as a Kingdom lord

Doesn't this kind of go against certain things happening in the background? Could be some things that were only implied or maybe I'm reading to much into certain things, but...

Spoiler

Since Edelgard knows about most of the plans of twsitd, her being the flame emperor and all, she'd know Lonato dying is part of their plan. She wouldn't so obviously go against their plans as to save Lonato, no matter how she feels about his ideals. The Lonato uprising was mostly to make the assassination note less conspicuous, I'm not even sure Lonato knew about the note? I think Lonato surviving would mess up a lot of their plans, meaning character-wise Edelgard wouldn't save him, and story-wise Ashe couldn't save him unless they split the game into 2 paths from here. Might just be me though.

7 minutes ago, whase said:

Doesn't this kind of go against certain things happening in the background? Could be some things that were only implied or maybe I'm reading to much into certain things, but...

Reveal hidden contents

Since Edelgard knows about most of the plans of twsitd, her being the flame emperor and all, she'd know Lonato dying is part of their plan. She wouldn't so obviously go against their plans as to save Lonato, no matter how she feels about his ideals. The Lonato uprising was mostly to make the assassination note less conspicuous, I'm not even sure Lonato knew about the note? I think Lonato surviving would mess up a lot of their plans, meaning character-wise Edelgard wouldn't save him, and story-wise Ashe couldn't save him unless they split the game into 2 paths from here. Might just be me though.

That is an interesting point. Because Edelgard probably wouldn’t spare Lonato because he had the letter which contains the plot to assassinate Rhea so this would lead to suspicious intruders from the Western Church including the Death Knight sneaking into the Holy Mausoleum. So killing him would have likely saved face for her. Edelgard would not have wanted to give away the fact (at least not yet) that her and Hubert are conspiring against the church. Remember that one of the Knight NPCs on chapter 12 (non Crimson Flower route) mentions that she was planning to do this from the start. Imperial Soldiers disguised themselves as merchants and peasants to avoid suspicion and infiltrating the monastery little by little. 

If this was on the Blue Lions route and even if Ashe or Dimitri defeat Lonato and force him to stand down, they would have found the letter anyways and most likely Catherine would have killed him on the spot. Or maybe she would have tried but then the Professor and Dimitri stopped her and suggested that they take him prisoner at least to hear him out. But that probably would have been a forgone conclusion as well.

The Golden Deer route had no impact from the Lonato fight aside from them feeling bad about it. At least from my perspective anyways. But then you get cheerful music when Claude talks about being the heir to House Riegan and wanting to cut a mountain in half.

4 minutes ago, Barren said:

Remember that one of the Knight NPCs on chapter 12 (non Crimson Flower route) mentions that she was planning to do this from the start.

We even get to see her talk with the bandit that attacked in the prologue, saying she sent him to do this. I don't think it was ever explained why, unless we're to asume she knew Byleth was in that village and wanted to recruit him? Doubt it was an assassination attempt on the other house leaders. Don't think there's any chapter before the timeskip Edelgard did not have at least a hand in. Oh except for the Remire Calamity, I believe her when she said she would have tried to stop them if she knew.

To get back on topic, does explaining the plot a bit better at some point count as a minor change? Like have Edelgard explain everything she did like a classic villain or something?

3 minutes ago, whase said:

To get back on topic, does explaining the plot a bit better at some point count as a minor change? Like have Edelgard explain everything she did like a classic villain or something?

Was there something that she didn't explain or explain well? I do recall her mentioning that her goal is to unify Fodlan under the Empire's banner and eliminate the crest system basically. Her waging war was her way to do so and admits that her method for achieving peace is contradictory. Claude mentions wanting to unite Fodlan as well but lamenting that Edelgard's method requires too much bloodshed and that it's a bad direction as a whole. Then again I only played Crimson Flower once and I do plan on revisiting that route at some point.

2 minutes ago, Barren said:

Was there something that she didn't explain or explain well? I do recall her mentioning that her goal is to unify Fodlan under the Empire's banner and eliminate the crest system basically. Her waging war was her way to do so and admits that her method for achieving peace is contradictory. Claude mentions wanting to unite Fodlan as well but lamenting that Edelgard's method requires too much bloodshed and that it's a bad direction as a whole. Then again I only played Crimson Flower once and I do plan on revisiting that route at some point.

Her goal is very clear, it's mostly some of her early game decisions that could use some explaining (like why she tasked the bandits to attack her group before the prologue). And it's not really clear how much she knew at certain points. For the first few routes this was cool, because the missing pieces kept me motivated to play the other routes. It's just a bit sad that after playing all routes I'm still left guessing about certain points.

1 hour ago, RainbowMoon said:

Ah, I do see your point there. I hadn't even considered her convo with Byleth afterwards, I was mainly thinking about her similarities to Lonato and how she prefers to minimize casualties whenever she can. I agree that she wouldn't spare Lonato under the circumstances provided by the game. However, one thing I find interesting is that Lonato has no unique battle dialogue if Edelgard engages him. In other words, he likely knows nothing about her or how she feels about the Church. That leads me to wonder, what if they did exchange a few words beforehand and Lonato began to see that maybe his stand wasn't so hopeless after all, as there are others (the future Adrestian Emperor, no less) who disagree with the Church's actions. Edelgard could potentially get him to stand down and gain his support as a Kingdom lord (a la Gwendal) in the coming war. Sort of an "I spare you, you help me" deal. Of course, for this to work, we'd either have to assume nobody else (especially Catherine) hears them or have the conversation take place offscreen after the battle. Also, much like choosing to keep the Lance of Ruin in ch.5, sparing Lonato would decrease support with Rhea.

I like the notion of Edelgard and Lonato having a conversation here! Something like:

Spoiler

L: "Ah, the Crown Princess of the Empire. My quarrel is with neither you nor your nation, so stand aside!"

E: "I'm afraid I can't do so, Lord Lonato. I'm here today on behalf of your sworn enemy, the Church of Seiros.

L: "Hmph... that woman is not content to have her own soldiers do the dirty work, instead leaching off the young of every nation."

E: "And yet, you would take a stand against such a foe? I doubt you will be the last to do so. As ears turned against the Church hear your cry, their own tongues and hands will follow."

L: "Let others do as they wish. Today's fight is mine, and mine alone!"

But I don't think sparing him would work here, because Edelgard has no authority to do. The class is led by the Professor, and Catherine is the highest-ranking Knight of Seiros on hand. Even if Lonato is convinced to surrender, he's almost certain to be taken hostage, and likely executed. 

15 minutes ago, whase said:

Her goal is very clear, it's mostly some of her early game decisions that could use some explaining (like why she tasked the bandits to attack her group before the prologue). And it's not really clear how much she knew at certain points. For the first few routes this was cool, because the missing pieces kept me motivated to play the other routes. It's just a bit sad that after playing all routes I'm still left guessing about certain points.

I see what you mean. The point of the other routes would have been to help fill in missing pieces of the story. I don't think they did a good enough job in doing that. The only thing they did tie in well enough was the Duscar Tradegy

14 hours ago, Sooks said:

Literally ALL of her development, didn’t happen off screen

This can be applied to just about everyone and everything in 3 Houses tbh.

On that note, maybe not a minor change, but make it so that there's more showing and less telling going on with the story. Caspar talks about his father for like, the entirety of the post time skip in the monastery, and how he dreads seeing him again as he'd be a traitor in his father's eyes, or something like that, and then he just dies one chapter off screen and everyone starts talking about him in the monastery with little to no background about what happened but nonetheless treating it like it's information that you should've 100% been aware of with characters going "omg I can't believe what happened with Caspar's father. I mean, isn't it just the worst, professor? You know what I'm talking about, riiight? Don't tell me you missed it, it happened right in front of our eyes! How can you be unaware of it?"

And that's just covers one example, with other characters like Hilda's brother being treated the same way or stuff like Dimitri just unceremoniously dying off screen.

Edited by NegativeExponents-