List 1 minor change you'd make

36 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Make it so classes are restricted to their weapon type(s). They all feel too same-y when they can all wield whatever minus magic.

Maybe that's why Three Houses wanted to implement customization. Being locked into certain weapons doesn't give you a lot of room to grow. Like if you're a thief using a lance or a archer that uses a axe let's say is more accessible than not.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability for named/random NPCs to actually be doing stuff in the Monestary, instead of always standing still/always moving.

Like maybe Casper can wander to the training grounds and start training on a dummy and other stuff.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Make it so classes are restricted to their weapon type(s). They all feel too same-y when they can all wield whatever minus magic.

That is one of the main gimmicks of Three Houses, the customization. You need an A+ rating in Bows to be a Sniper, even though you can use Axes as well, your Axe rank won't be as high, and using Axes as a Sniper won't be as effective as a Wyvern Rider. A lot of this stuff is up to the player at the end of the day.

15 hours ago, Benice said:

Dunno if it counts as a minor change, but I'd have doubled or tripled the skill EXP gain, personally. Perhaps it's just me, but I felt like, Commoner/Noble aside, classes took far too long to master in general.

Yeah in Hard mode most of my characters wouldn't learn class skills unless I went out of my way to grind for them. The ones that didn't struggle to learn skills during normal gameplay were my mages and healers because they can always do something. And in Maddening I didn't get Hit+20 on characters that weren't going to be long tern Archers, because getting Death Blow was tedious enough.

Man, a year and half ago I could have thrown a ton at you, but I'm kinda drawing a blank right now. Hmmm...

... guess I'll go with discouraging save scumming, but rebalancing the greenhouse, certification and fishing so that they don't reward it so much. Fishing doesn't need to be this random, we have several types of lures and several types of fish icons, that's enough to cover every fish in the game. Certifications shouldn't consume the seal if you fail. The greenhouse does not need to be so convoluted, and similarly, we have so many seed types, randomness is completely unnecessary.

Remove the charm requirement for picking up the Dancer certification. For new players, it potentially means they miss out on having a dancer. For experienced players, it means either restricted choice of who to turn into a dancer or it means having to do a few tea times to prepare. As someone who doesn't enjoy tea time, I would be much happier if I never had to do it.

4 hours ago, whase said:

Doesn't this kind of go against certain things happening in the background? Could be some things that were only implied or maybe I'm reading to much into certain things, but...

Hide contents

Since Edelgard knows about most of the plans of twsitd, her being the flame emperor and all, she'd know Lonato dying is part of their plan. She wouldn't so obviously go against their plans as to save Lonato, no matter how she feels about his ideals. The Lonato uprising was mostly to make the assassination note less conspicuous, I'm not even sure Lonato knew about the note? I think Lonato surviving would mess up a lot of their plans, meaning character-wise Edelgard wouldn't save him, and story-wise Ashe couldn't save him unless they split the game into 2 paths from here. Might just be me though.

Well, Lonato's rebellion didn't really have anything to do with Edelgard's plans. He was being manipulated by the Western Church, which itself was being manipulated by Arundel. Edelgard didn't really have anything to do with the assassination note and the attack on the Holy Mausoleum, aside from Arundel forcing her to loan him the Death Knight. It's likely she didn't even know they were manipulating Lonato and assumed that he was just a disillusioned Kingdom lord who wanted to spark a bigger revolution by making himself a martyr. If she (or Ashe) were able to successfully talk him off the legde, the note would likely go undiscovered by anyone (or thrown away once Lonato found it in his pocket) since neither one of them actually knows about it. After which, one of two things would probably happen. Either the Western Churchies would still try to invade the Holy Mausoleum, even though their distraction attempt failed, and get their faces cut off by Catherine because the place is still under high security, or they'd just bail on the plan entirely. Neither outcome really affects Edelgard's goals at all, unless Arundel finds out what she did and kills her as punishment. Which doesn't really seem likely since she goes on to sabotage his plans way worse (helping Byleth and the others find where they're keeping Flayn, killing Solon and Kronya, etc.) and he hardly notices.

However...

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

But I don't think sparing him would work here, because Edelgard has no authority to do. The class is led by the Professor, and Catherine is the highest-ranking Knight of Seiros on hand. Even if Lonato is convinced to surrender, he's almost certain to be taken hostage, and likely executed. 

This is completely true. Though Edelgard may spare Lonato if she had the authority, Catherine being there kinda ruins all chances of that happening since she'd just cut him down without hesitation.

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:
Hide contents

L: "Ah, the Crown Princess of the Empire. My quarrel is with neither you nor your nation, so stand aside!"

E: "I'm afraid I can't do so, Lord Lonato. I'm here today on behalf of your sworn enemy, the Church of Seiros.

L: "Hmph... that woman is not content to have her own soldiers do the dirty work, instead leaching off the young of every nation."

E: "And yet, you would take a stand against such a foe? I doubt you will be the last to do so. As ears turned against the Church hear your cry, their own tongues and hands will follow."

L: "Let others do as they wish. Today's fight is mine, and mine alone!"

This dialogue is perfect, though! Edelgard's lines sound exactly like things she'd say. This legit should've been in the game.

Like others have mentioned, boost the class exp rate or reduce the amount required. Only getting 1/2 (depending on statue progress) per action for characters is way too slow, especially on normal and hard mode. Really the only units that ever mastered classes for me without grinding were healers and Lysithea (mainly thanks to her mastermind skill). And mastering master tier classes might as well be impossible to do naturally.

Remove gender locked classes. Having male peg knights or female brawlers would do nothing to change the game. For a game that allows for so much customisation, having gender locks is rather restrictive. It also makes brawling completely obsolete for any female unit (obviously until War Cleric was released, but even then that is niche for most units since brawler tend to have bad magic and most healer are bad at brawling so...). I just want my Falcon Knight Ashe goddammit!

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

Remove the charm requirement for picking up the Dancer certification. For new players, it potentially means they miss out on having a dancer. For experienced players, it means either restricted choice of who to turn into a dancer or it means having to do a few tea times to prepare. As someone who doesn't enjoy tea time, I would be much happier if I never had to do it.

Uh... you do realise you get a free Charm+5 from dance practice, right? Combined with stat ups... it's honestly pretty hard to not have a character with a Charm stat of 13 at that point...

11 minutes ago, Agro said:

Uh... you do realise you get a free Charm+5 from dance practice, right? Combined with stat ups... it's honestly pretty hard to not have a character with a Charm stat of 13 at that point...

It depends on the character. Some are guaranteed or almost guaranteed to hit it, but others are more touch and go. Low charm characters like Ignatz (4+25), Raphael (4+25), Lorenz (3+35), Caspar (4+25), Ashe (4+25) or especially Linhardt (3+20) can easily miss out. This is doubly the case if you aren't using the unit much before turning them into a dancer, which is a reasonable strategy if you're not planning to use them for anything other than dancing. It's not something that comes up all the time, but I have definitely had it come up and be a bit of an annoyance. It's not a huge issue or anything, but this is the minor changes thread, after all.

It depends on the character. Some are guaranteed or almost guaranteed to hit it, but others are more touch and go. Low charm characters like Ignatz (4+25), Raphael (4+25), Lorenz (3+35), Caspar (4+25), Ashe (4+25) or especially Linhardt (3+20) can easily miss out. This is doubly the case if you aren't using the unit much before turning them into a dancer, which is a reasonable strategy if you're not planning to use them for anything other than dancing. It's not something that comes up all the time, but I have definitely had it come up and be a bit of an annoyance. It's not a huge issue or anything, but this is the minor changes thread, after all.

Well this is also why team time exists so you can increase their charm by 1 if you get a perfect tea time. So using that along with stat ups and a dance session like @Agro said would get anyone there in no time. I know tea time can be tedious and boring but it's effective

5 minutes ago, Barren said:

Well this is also why team time exists so you can increase their charm by 1 if you get a perfect tea time. So using that along with stat ups and a dance session like @Agro said would get anyone there in no time. I know tea time can be tedious and boring but it's effective

Sure, and that's what I do in the cases where it's necessary. My initial point, though, was that I don't like tea time and would rather never need to use it. I'm not saying "it's terrible that you can't turn Linhardt into a dancer"; I'm saying "it's vaguely annoying that the steps needed to turn Linhardt into a dancer can require engaging with a part of the game I don't enjoy".

I would change the events leading up to the timeskip. Have Solon's spell exile Byleth for five full years rather than have Byleth just randomly fall into a pit. 

This would achieve multiple things. 
-It would make Solon less of a failure. Every evil plot Solon is engaged in either gets forgotten or fails hopelessly. By taking out Byleth he at least manages to get something right. 
-It would be a more worthy send off for Sothis. The stakes just don't seem very high when Byleth is in the dark realm for five seconds until Sothis bails her out. I'm more convinced of Sothis sacrifice when it seems things really were hopeless. 
-It more dramatic for Byleth to go missing if its through the most vile evil spell imaginable. By contrast Byleth being missing because she fell into a hole just seems nonsensical. 

This would require a small change for the siege of the monastery but having one stage without Byleth doesn't seem like too big of a deal. Either just skip the ability to walk through the monastery for one month, or have the house leader do the walking and talking for once. 

Sure, and that's what I do in the cases where it's necessary. My initial point, though, was that I don't like tea time and would rather never need to use it. I'm not saying "it's terrible that you can't turn Linhardt into a dancer"; I'm saying "it's vaguely annoying that the steps needed to turn Linhardt into a dancer can require engaging with a part of the game I don't enjoy".

It's understandable. It's like using up an activity point for tea time when you would rather be using it for something else like meal sharing or faculty drills pending on what you're aiming for

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I would change the events leading up to the timeskip. Have Solon's spell exile Byleth for five full years rather than have Byleth just randomly fall into a pit. 

This would achieve multiple things. 
-It would make Solon less of a failure. Every evil plot Solon is engaged in either gets forgotten or fails hopelessly. By taking out Byleth he at least manages to get something right. 
-It would be a more worthy send off for Sothis. The stakes just don't seem very high when Byleth is in the dark realm for five seconds until Sothis bails her out. I'm more convinced of Sothis sacrifice when it seems things really were hopeless. 
-It more dramatic for Byleth to go missing if its through the most vile evil spell imaginable. By contrast Byleth being missing because she fell into a hole just seems nonsensical. 

This would require a small change for the siege of the monastery but having one stage without Byleth doesn't seem like too big of a deal. Either just skip the ability to walk through the monastery for one month, or have the house leader do the walking and talking for once. 

Would this extend the Solon boss fight for another month then or during the post time skip? There's also Byleth's involvement in the Holy Tomb to think about as well. Not to mention that Rhea would go berserk at that point and this might also throw a wrench potentially in Edelgard's plan assuming you pick the Black Eagles. Not saying this is bad necessarily but would would it affect all three routes (or four in the case of silver snow)? Or is it just a temporary thing you were suggesting?

13 hours ago, Barren said:

It's understandable. It's like using up an activity point for tea time when you would rather be using it for something else like meal sharing or faculty drills pending on what you're aiming for

I don't even care about the activity point. I just don't enjoy the tea time minigame.

22 hours ago, Cysx said:

Man, a year and half ago I could have thrown a ton at you, but I'm kinda drawing a blank right now. Hmmm...

... guess I'll go with discouraging save scumming, but rebalancing the greenhouse, certification and fishing so that they don't reward it so much. Fishing doesn't need to be this random, we have several types of lures and several types of fish icons, that's enough to cover every fish in the game. Certifications shouldn't consume the seal if you fail. The greenhouse does not need to be so convoluted, and similarly, we have so many seed types, randomness is completely unnecessary.

I definitely agree with these changes.

I'm also not sure how I feel about fishing generally. Right now you can argue the "optimum" way to play is to use every bit of bait you ever get, since it doesn't consume activity points to fish, but this feels immensely grindy. You could remove this grindy feel by just making fish not give any professor exp (at that point the only rewards are the fish themselves, and while fish are useful, the need for them is finite).

Gardening also generally needs a revamp. I have no idea why I can't just plant tomato seeds to get tomatoes.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm also not sure how I feel about fishing generally. Right now you can argue the "optimum" way to play is to use every bit of bait you ever get, since it doesn't consume activity points to fish, but this feels immensely grindy. You could remove this grindy feel by just making fish not give any professor exp (at that point the only rewards are the fish themselves, and while fish are useful, the need for them is finite).

I know exactly how I feel about fishing and it's not good. I also don't think it's right to say that "you can argue" that using all your bait is optimal; it just straight-up is optimal. There's possibly discussion to be had about when it should be used and whether it's better to use it immediately or wait for events, but I find it difficult to imagine an argument for why it isn't optimal, at least not until you've maxed out professor level. (At least, assuming that you're optimising for chance of success. If you're optimising for time taken or for fun, then far less fishing is optimal.)

Getting rid of professor xp would be one good way to fix the grindiness. Another would be to drastically reduce the amount of bait that you find. If you could only buy 5 pieces of bait per month, that would greatly reduce the potential for tedious grind. And of course, another way would just be to remove fishing from the game entirely, but at that point there'd also need to be substantial changes to the dining hall and we're getting out of the realm of minor changes.

@lenticular

The main argument that it's not "optimal" is that it consumes massive amounts of real time for a very small amount of gain, so if real time is deemed to matter at all then it immediately becomes pretty questionable. I've completed Maddening many times without doing 100% fishing and didn't really feel like I was suffering for it.

If the game had a mini-game you could play infinitely where you can press A once every 3 seconds to gain 1 prof exp then you could argue "optimal" play would be to play this mini-game for days as soon as it unlocks in Chapter 2, but in practice (almost?) nobody would do this. Fishing is obviously less extreme than that, but same idea.

18 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

@lenticular

The main argument that it's not "optimal" is that it consumes massive amounts of real time for a very small amount of gain, so if real time is deemed to matter at all then it immediately becomes pretty questionable. I've completed Maddening many times without doing 100% fishing and didn't really feel like I was suffering for it.

If the game had a mini-game you could play infinitely where you can press A once every 3 seconds to gain 1 prof exp then you could argue "optimal" play would be to play this mini-game for days as soon as it unlocks in Chapter 2, but in practice (almost?) nobody would do this. Fishing is obviously less extreme than that, but same idea.

I guess this is the danger of throwing around words like "optimal" without ever really defining them or specifying what is being optimised for. When I see "optimal" on its own without explanation, I always assume that it means that we're optimising for probability of success, and not accounting for time taken, fun had, or anything else. And by that metric, I think that using all bait definitely is the correct way of maximising success. Admitedly, for strong players, success is close to guaranteed anyway, so it only increases success chance by a small amount, but it's still there.

I do completely agree, though, that endless fishing is not fun and not how I am going to spend my time.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:

I guess this is the danger of throwing around words like "optimal" without ever really defining them or specifying what is being optimised for. When I see "optimal" on its own without explanation, I always assume that it means that we're optimising for probability of success, and not accounting for time taken, fun had, or anything else. And by that metric, I think that using all bait definitely is the correct way of maximising success. Admitedly, for strong players, success is close to guaranteed anyway, so it only increases success chance by a small amount, but it's still there.

I do completely agree, though, that endless fishing is not fun and not how I am going to spend my time.

Yeah, agreed on all counts. We (and I include myself in this) are certainly guilty of throwing around words like optimal and efficiency despite the fact that definitions of them may vary. I was trying to get at that by calling max fishing arguably optimal in the sense that it does depend on what we're optimizing for, and different players might consider different things optimal, but I should have stated that more clearly.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:51 PM, Benice said:

Dunno if it counts as a minor change, but I'd have doubled or tripled the skill EXP gain, personally. Perhaps it's just me, but I felt like, Commoner/Noble aside, classes took far too long to master in general.

This, also makes Master classes better since they can otherwise be a pain to master on builds that want a lot of abilities to complete.

For the sake of a unique contribution, Byleth starting with a spell in order to develop Reason without having to spend activity points with faculty training. Would make out of house recruiting easier, although building supports is still the easier way to go.

I think class certification should be slightly changed so it isn’t so easy to get into busted classes, most of them involving flight. It’s really dumb how easy it is to get into Wyvern Rider compared to something like Great Knight. Maybe if you absolutely needed the required weapon ranks to certify, although some of them would needed to be lowered a little to compensate. Removing gender locks would also be lovely. 

15 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I definitely agree with these changes.

Gardening also generally needs a revamp. I have no idea why I can't just plant tomato seeds to get tomatoes.

Limiting the tedium of the monastery in general is definitely a very important change. I thought they'd actually give us a qol update at some point, but, nope. Really hope that's not a sign of things to come.