List 1 minor change you'd make

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/31/2021 at 2:41 AM, xigbar7 said:

For the sake of a unique contribution, Byleth starting with a spell in order to develop Reason without having to spend activity points with faculty training. Would make out of house recruiting easier, although building supports is still the easier way to go.

Yes, this! Or actually, I'd probably prefer Byleth to start with E+ in Faith, keep E in Reason, but make E+ in reason give a spell, because only gaining Reason Proficiency on E+ is worthless. "Hey I got better with casting magic, Now if only I actually knew a spell"  (I should start saying that irl, "Yeah I'm great at casting magic, I just don't know any spells")

Make the magic relic weapons (crusher, blutgang) have 1-3 range, so they're as good as the normal magic weapons. There combat arts can stay 1 range.

Nerf normal magic weapons except aura knuckles. make them stay 1-2 range, and their upgrades can reduce weight or increase Mt or hit or something. Make Arrow of Idreana avalable on every route, and give Hubert some extra bonus for his paralouge.

On 2/1/2021 at 5:38 AM, Heptade said:

Just nitpicking, but I would have liked it if the paralogue bosses and main game minibosses (like Myson, Odesse, etc.) all had unique portraits and names.

The biggest example I could think of is Annette's uncle. He's a fairly well developed minor boss with goals, ideas and problems of his own and he's closely related to two playable characters. Despite this he's just a generic Paladin.

Its a shame because Fates had all sort of wacky side villains for its paralogues but aside from Acheron and maybe Baron Och Three Houses mostly gives you generics to fight. Characters like the corrupt merchant out to marry/kidnap Ingrid, Annette's uncle, the beastmaster from Gloucester or the Western Bishop could easily have been made into actual boss characters. 

Buff Caspar, just a little. He's viable enough on Normal and can be used on Hard, but I find him lacking even on hard and on Maddening he's nowhere near making the cut. Maybe just like 10% str/spd growth and a little bit of base, but IDK, anything. Unit balance in general is not something I typically care about, but given that everyone's basically a trainee in 3H I would like them to grow like trainees

One very minor change I would make is ensuring every unit can use their personal battalions for free. Maybe its a bit OCD-ish but I get irritated when Ashe can't use the Gaspar battalion or Lorenz the Gloucester one if you haven't invested in their authority stat enough. It are their own personal unit, loyal to their own personal domains. Why shouldn't they just get to use them?

14 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One very minor change I would make is ensuring every unit can use their personal battalions for free. Maybe its a bit OCD-ish but I get irritated when Ashe can't use the Gaspar battalion or Lorenz the Gloucester one if you haven't invested in their authority stat enough. It are their own personal unit, loyal to their own personal domains. Why shouldn't they just get to use them?

That's honestly a very cool idea. It'd make "do I build authority or not" a valid choice, and would further differentiate characters by slightly encouraging (but not forcing!) certain builds.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Definitely agree on this one. On my very first playthrough it took me a minute to figure out why I couldn't give Ingrid the Galatea battalion. I hadn't completely figured out how authority worked yet and I just assumed she'd be able to use it no problem. After all, it's hers lol

Thinking back, that would be a nice little bonus for characters like Sylvain or Seteth whose personal battalions work really well on them, since removing the need for authority means they can level their weapon skills faster (read: get Swift Strikes faster).

On 2/5/2021 at 5:56 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Its a shame because Fates had all sort of wacky side villains for its paralogues but aside from Acheron and maybe Baron Och Three Houses mostly gives you generics to fight. Characters like the corrupt merchant out to marry/kidnap Ingrid, Annette's uncle, the beastmaster from Gloucester or the Western Bishop could easily have been made into actual boss characters. 

As an aside, I can't stand the dialogue surrounding that paralogue. We learn that he's a bad guy because... why, exactly? They found out he did bad stuff, such as... what exactly? Also, does he not have a name, or are Ingrid and Dorothea just keeping that part a secret from the audience? Oh, and we leave his place, and apparently the best route home is through... Ailell, the Valley of Torment? I'm bewildered.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah, the fact that it's neither easier, nor more beneficial, to use a unit with their "personal batallion" seems something of a misfire. I'd go so far as to advocate giving the unit a "bonus skill" when their personal batallion isequipped. Like, Claude gets Bowrange +1 from the Immortal Corps., Linhardt gets Miracle from the Heveing Prayer Troop, Hilda gets Seal Strength from Goneril Valkyries, and so on.

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As an aside, I can't stand the dialogue surrounding that paralogue. We learn that he's a bad guy because... why, exactly? They found out he did bad stuff, such as... what exactly? Also, does he not have a name, or are Ingrid and Dorothea just keeping that part a secret from the audience? Oh, and we leave his place, and apparently the best route home is through... Ailell, the Valley of Torment? I'm bewildered.

Yeah, the fact that it's neither easier, nor more beneficial, to use a unit with their "personal batallion" seems something of a misfire. I'd go so far as to advocate giving the unit a "bonus skill" when their personal batallion isequipped. Like, Claude gets Bowrange +1 from the Immortal Corps., Linhardt gets Miracle from the Heveing Prayer Troop, Hilda gets Seal Strength from Goneril Valkyries, and so on.

My opinion is that the best route home isn't through Ailell, the Valley of Torment, rather its that they suspected that he might try something, which he did, and they thought that the guys hired thugs wouldn't look for them in Ailell, the Valley of Torment

Edited by James Marshall

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yes they really should have explained exactly what was wrong with the guy aside from Dorothea assuring they found something proving he did something wrong. I think slavery or selling weapons to bandits would be a safe guess since its described as ''blood money''.

I always assumed the merchant's base was just in the valley of Torment since no one goes there. The proof is supposedly found in that place after all. 

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yeah, the fact that it's neither easier, nor more beneficial, to use a unit with their "personal batallion" seems something of a misfire.

Well, some personal battalions do tend to be tailor-made for their intended units. For instance, Cichol Wyvern Co. just happens to be a perfect match for a natural Wyvern Lord like Seteth. And Gautier Knights is one of Sylvain's best choices as a Paladin, being a Stride battalion with solid stats and high avoid. I'd say there's a few others too, like Nuvelle Fliers on Dark Flier Constance or Hevring Prayer on Bishop Linhardt like you mentioned. These units being able to use their personal battalions for free would definitely be beneficial, imo, even without adding in bonus skills.

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yes they really should have explained exactly what was wrong with the guy aside from Dorothea assuring they found something proving he did something wrong. I think slavery or selling weapons to bandits would be a safe guess since its described as ''blood money''.

They could achieve it in four words. "Lord Wensleydale deals drugs." "Lord Wensleydale smuggles weapons." "Lord Wensleydale enslaves Duscurians." Oh, by the way, I've named him "Lord Wensleydale". I'm not looking for an in-depth explanation, just... something.

7 hours ago, James Marshall said:

My opinion is that the best route home isn't through Ailell, the Valley of Torment, rather its that they suspected that he might try something, which he did, and they thought that the guys hired thugs wouldn't look for them in Ailell, the Valley of Torment

That seems plausible, at least.

2 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

Well, some personal battalions do tend to be tailor-made for their intended units. For instance, Cichol Wyvern Co. just happens to be a perfect match for a natural Wyvern Lord like Seteth. And Gautier Knights is one of Sylvain's best choices as a Paladin, being a Stride battalion with solid stats and high avoid. I'd say there's a few others too, like Nuvelle Fliers on Dark Flier Constance or Hevring Prayer on Bishop Linhardt like you mentioned. These units being able to use their personal battalions for free would definitely be beneficial, imo, even without adding in bonus skills.

Sure, Gautier Knights are great! But my point is, they're not any better on Sylvain than they would be on a very similar unit, such as Ferdinand. Nuvelle Fliers are great on Dark Flier Constance, yes - but if you make Constance go Gremory, and Flayn go Dark Flier, it's almost certainly better to give Flayn the Nuvelle Fliers, and Constance an infantry magical battalion. And if we're looking at the Lords' personal battalions, getting to C-Authority by chapter 13 is trivial, so the Lords wouldn't benefit from such a change. Same with E-rank Battalions, like Cyril getting Almyra Mercenaries. 

For the record, I'm not opposed to characters getting to use their "Personal Battalion", regardless of Authority rank. I just think it'd be neat to also get a skill, even if it's gated behind getting the battalion to level 5. That would offer further inter-unit distinction, and add flavor to the various battalions.

11 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Sure, Gautier Knights are great! But my point is, they're not any better on Sylvain than they would be on a very similar unit, such as Ferdinand.

I'd argue Ferdinand makes better use of it if anything: Gautier Knights stands out for its high bonus to avoid, which Ferdinand with his personal skill is well-equipped to use. (Sylvain does have Black Magic Avoid +20, but he's more often built as a lance-user due to Swift Strikes and his relic.)

11 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

And if we're looking at the Lords' personal battalions, getting to C-Authority by chapter 13 is trivial, so the Lords wouldn't benefit from such a change.

Currently the lords don't benefit at all. If you manage to avoid getting them to C authority by chapter 12-13, the game automatically levels them to C (same with Hubert). With @Etrurian emperor's proposed change, I would likely suggest changing the requirement of the lord battalion to A (since they're amazingly good battalions in general thanks to their ridiculously powerful gambits), so other units would have to put in serious work to use them.

I definitely agree with your comments on the Dorothea/Ingrid paralogue incidentally. It's frustrating because it should be a great little fleshing out of the setting but as you said they're just way too vague about what's actually going on.

7 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'd argue Ferdinand makes better use of it if anything: Gautier Knights stands out for its high bonus to avoid, which Ferdinand with his personal skill is well-equipped to use. (Sylvain does have Black Magic Avoid +20, but he's more often built as a lance-user due to Swift Strikes and his relic.)

This is true. Of course, if Sylvain was able to use Gautier right away just for being Sylvain while Ferdie had to wait for B Authority, I might be more inclined to give it to Sylvain out of sheer convenience. Same goes for battalions like Nuvelle, if Coco can use it earlier than anyone else then she's automatically my best Dark Flier candidate. All this would do really is allow certain characters to benefit a bit more from their "canon" class paths, but nothing so busted that it forces a specific build on anyone.

1 hour ago, salinea said:

Sylvain has a good enough Charm growth i think it's kind of a waste to give him Gautier. And even if he's built to dodge tank with Black Magic Avoid, then he'll want a magic/mixed battalion.

Gautier's still a really strong choice for Sylvain, though, thanks to its atk and avo boosts. Since he can't become a Falcon Knight and benefit from its +10 avo bonus, that +20 avo from Gautier helps him tremendously as a Paladin. And where he's unlikely to be relying on offensive gambits anyway, giving him a Stride battalion doesn't hurt him that much.

Making him a black magic dodge tank isn't really a good idea to begin with anyway. He doesn't have the magic growth to pull it off successfully without a crapton of stat boosters, and it means he misses out on Swift Strikes and his personal relic.

31 minutes ago, RainbowMoon said:

Gautier's still a really strong choice for Sylvain, though, thanks to its atk and avo boosts. Since he can't become a Falcon Knight and benefit from its +10 avo bonus, that +20 avo from Gautier helps him tremendously as a Paladin. And where he's unlikely to be relying on offensive gambits anyway, giving him a Stride battalion doesn't hurt him that much.

Making him a black magic dodge tank isn't really a good idea to begin with anyway. He doesn't have the magic growth to pull it off successfully without a crapton of stat boosters, and it means he misses out on Swift Strikes and his personal relic.

He can become a Wyvern Lord, though, which gets him Avoid +10. Sure, he'll miss out on Lancefaire, but the higher Strength modifier (relative to either Paladin or Falcoknight) makes up for it somewhat.

My own take is, everyone enjoys an Avoid boost. But Avoid works best when it's stacked - i.e., combining skills, a battalion bonus, terrain, amd maybe an Evasion ring to get enemy hit rates as low as possible. Sylvain's only unique avoid-booster is Black Magic Avoid +20, which would better synergize with an Avoid-boosting magical battalion. Compare to Ferdinand, who can combine his Avoid-boosting personal with the +20 from Gautier Knights (synergy).

And if you're using him mainly for the Swift Strikes, why does his Avoid matter? He can get in, score the kill, and get out. For a player-phase nuke, his battalion priorities should be boosts to Attack, Hit, and Crit.

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

And if you're using him mainly for the Swift Strikes, why does his Avoid matter? He can get in, score the kill, and get out. For a player-phase nuke, his battalion priorities should be boosts to Attack, Hit, and Crit.

Enemy phase, mostly. He can get in and score the kill for sure, but why would I want to get him out when I could leave him there and let him mop up some more enemies on their turn? I wouldn't write off Sylvain as strictly a player phase nuke. Unlike, say, Lysithea or Bernadetta, he's more than capable of holding his own on the enemy phase, and I typically find that a better strategy than pulling him out after a kill.

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

My own take is, everyone enjoys an Avoid boost. But Avoid works best when it's stacked - i.e., combining skills, a battalion bonus, terrain, amd maybe an Evasion ring to get enemy hit rates as low as possible. Sylvain's only unique avoid-booster is Black Magic Avoid +20, which would better synergize with an Avoid-boosting magical battalion. Compare to Ferdinand, who can combine his Avoid-boosting personal with the +20 from Gautier Knights (synergy).

I do see your point there, however I'd argue that Ferdinand's avoid-boosting personal means that Sylvain benefits more from Gautier's +20 than he does. That's just my take, though. I agree that the more avoid the better, but unless I'm building a dedicated dodge tank I don't feel the need to maximize avoid on all my units. Take my go-to Seteth build for example: he gets +15 avoid from Lance Prowess, +10 from Wyvern Lord and +5 from Cichol Wyvern Co before factoring in his attack speed. That's less than Sylvain gets with Lance Prowess + Gautier, but still enough to reliably enemy phase. I wouldn't take the same risks with him as, say, a dodge tank Yuri with Brawl Avo +20, Brawling Prowess, Brigid Hunters and an Evasion Ring, but I know I can take him into the enemy phase and he'll be okay.

Enemy phase, mostly. He can get in and score the kill for sure, but why would I want to get him out when I could leave him there and let him mop up some more enemies on their turn? I wouldn't write off Sylvain as strictly a player phase nuke. Unlike, say, Lysithea or Bernadetta, he's more than capable of holding his own on the enemy phase, and I typically find that a better strategy than pulling him out after a kill.

I do see your point there, however I'd argue that Ferdinand's avoid-boosting personal means that Sylvain benefits more from Gautier's +20 than he does. That's just my take, though. I agree that the more avoid the better, but unless I'm building a dedicated dodge tank I don't feel the need to maximize avoid on all my units. Take my go-to Seteth build for example: he gets +15 avoid from Lance Prowess, +10 from Wyvern Lord and +5 from Cichol Wyvern Co before factoring in his attack speed. That's less than Sylvain gets with Lance Prowess + Gautier, but still enough to reliably enemy phase. I wouldn't take the same risks with him as, say, a dodge tank Yuri with Brawl Avo +20, Brawling Prowess, Brigid Hunters and an Evasion Ring, but I know I can take him into the enemy phase and he'll be okay.

Different strokes, I suppose. My experience from Maddening is to favor specialization in units. On enemy-phase, namely, I've gotten more use out of either outright dodge-tanks (i.e. Dancer Ferdinand, Alert Stance/Defiant Avoid Ingrid), raw physical tanks (Fortress/Great Knight Gilbert, Balthus), or (less-often) Res-tanks (Flayn, Mercedes) than out of units who are "in-between" in bulk and avoid. Of course, it is nice for your other units, outside the super-frail, to be anle to survive a round of combat.

Interestingly enough, though, my first Sylvain build was something of a dodgetank - a Dark Knight combining Black Magic Avoid +20 with Bowbreaker, and equipping Thyrsus, made for a rather comfortable lure for enemy Snipers and Bow Knights. I won't claim this build was optimal, but it was pretty fun. And that Yuri build sounds kinda fun - I've never figured out what to make of him, but something like that could work well on my next playthrough.

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Interestingly enough, though, my first Sylvain build was something of a dodgetank - a Dark Knight combining Black Magic Avoid +20 with Bowbreaker, and equipping Thyrsus, made for a rather comfortable lure for enemy Snipers and Bow Knights. I won't claim this build was optimal, but it was pretty fun.

Yeah, that's also what I'm currently using. It's fun!

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Different strokes, I suppose. My experience from Maddening is to favor specialization in units. On enemy-phase, namely, I've gotten more use out of either outright dodge-tanks (i.e. Dancer Ferdinand, Alert Stance/Defiant Avoid Ingrid), raw physical tanks (Fortress/Great Knight Gilbert, Balthus), or (less-often) Res-tanks (Flayn, Mercedes) than out of units who are "in-between" in bulk and avoid. Of course, it is nice for your other units, outside the super-frail, to be anle to survive a round of combat.

Definitely, it all comes down to playstyle preferences. I'm actually not a huge fan of physical tanks myself, units like Dedue or Gilbert for me usually end up benched in favor of dodge tanks like Ingrid and Yuri, or "well-rounded" units like Sylvain and Seteth.

Interestingly enough, though, my first Sylvain build was something of a dodgetank - a Dark Knight combining Black Magic Avoid +20 with Bowbreaker, and equipping Thyrsus, made for a rather comfortable lure for enemy Snipers and Bow Knights. I won't claim this build was optimal, but it was pretty fun.

That does sound like an interesting setup for him. I'm thinking for my first (and likely only) Golden Deer run, I'm gonna use nothing but unconventional meme builds (Sniper Lyssie coming at ya!) for my units. I'll definitely keep your Sylvain idea in mind. Which battalion did you use on him? I'm guessing something with high avoid, but is there one that also boosts magic?

And that Yuri build sounds kinda fun - I've never figured out what to make of him, but something like that could work well on my next playthrough.

It's especially fun when you give him the Chalice of Beginnings too lol

Overall, I feel like Yuri's super slept-on as a unit. That brawling build on a War Master (or Grappler if you don't feel like fighting that axe bane) Yuri is pretty damn strong. Between the avoid stacking and his ridiculous speed growth, he's practically invincible. He can quad pretty much anything, and with Killer Knuckles you can turn him into a crit machine on top of that. And his crest, though the activation rate's a bit iffy, synergizes perfectly with a brawling setup.

He also makes a pretty excellent Sniper thanks to his bow budding talent. Hunter's Volley and Deadeye with his crit rate are devastating, especially if you give him a Killer Bow and a high-crit battalion like Goneril Valkyries.

Definitely, it all comes down to playstyle preferences. I'm actually not a huge fan of physical tanks myself, units like Dedue or Gilbert for me usually end up benched in favor of dodge tanks like Ingrid and Yuri, or "well-rounded" units like Sylvain and Seteth.

He also makes a pretty excellent Sniper thanks to his bow budding talent. Hunter's Volley and Deadeye with his crit rate are devastating, especially if you give him a Killer Bow and a high-crit battalion like Goneril Valkyries.

I also tend to experiment around with builds on normal mode because I’m usually curious on exploring other options. I once did a Holy Knight build for Bernadetta where she had pass and rescue. I think with enough spirit dusts she can be a good utility player in this class and still keep vengeance.

Never tried sniper Yuri but I might on my eventual maddening run on Blue Lions. I can work through his axe bane to get Brigand.

Maybe I could also try Wyvern Lord Hapi with Bolt Axe? I mean it sounds like a meme class for her but you never know.

1 hour ago, Barren said:

also tend to experiment around with builds on normal mode because I’m usually curious on exploring other options. I once did a Holy Knight build for Bernadetta where she had pass and rescue. I think with enough spirit dusts she can be a good utility player in this class and still keep vengeance.

I did a Build-a-Bernie like this, but as a Dark Knight instead. Her Rescue was just as strong, and she got a Tomefaire boost to spells like Thoron and Fimbulvetr.

4 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

That does sound like an interesting setup for him. I'm thinking for my first (and likely only) Golden Deer run, I'm gonna use nothing but unconventional meme builds (Sniper Lyssie coming at ya!) for my units. I'll definitely keep your Sylvain idea in mind. Which battalion did you use on him? I'm guessing something with high avoid, but is there one that also boosts magic?

I don't remember which ones I used, honestly. Reviewing the list, there are a couple on Golden Deer tha boost both Magic and Avoid: Alliance Magic Users (4, 10) and Alliance Physicians (3, 10). And with the DLC, there are a few more: Mockingbird Thieves (5, 10), Nuvelle Fliers (7, 10), and Nuvelle Attendants (8, 10). Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any above 10 avoid that boost magic - however, a few (Opera Co Volunteers, Jeralt's Mercenaries, Secret Transport Co.) grant +15 Avoid while being magic-neutral.

4 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

Overall, I feel like Yuri's super slept-on as a unit. That brawling build on a War Master (or Grappler if you don't feel like fighting that axe bane) Yuri is pretty damn strong. Between the avoid stacking and his ridiculous speed growth, he's practically invincible. He can quad pretty much anything, and with Killer Knuckles you can turn him into a crit machine on top of that. And his crest, though the activation rate's a bit iffy, synergizes perfectly with a brawling setup.

I'll have to give Yuri a proper try sometime. I've tended to write him off, owing to his proficiencies limiting his class options, and to his spell lists being not so interesting. But it sounds like he could be made good.