List 1 minor change you'd make

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I don't remember which ones I used, honestly. Reviewing the list, there are a couple on Golden Deer tha boost both Magic and Avoid: Alliance Magic Users (4, 10) and Alliance Physicians (3, 10). And with the DLC, there are a few more: Mockingbird Thieves (5, 10), Nuvelle Fliers (7, 10), and Nuvelle Attendants (8, 10). Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any above 10 avoid that boost magic - however, a few (Opera Co Volunteers, Jeralt's Mercenaries, Secret Transport Co.) grant +15 Avoid while being magic-neutral.

Perfect, thanks! Looks like Nuvelle Attendants might be his best option. With that I should be able to get him up to 85 avoid before adding in attack speed.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'll have to give Yuri a proper try sometime. I've tended to write him off, owing to his proficiencies limiting his class options, and to his spell lists being not so interesting. But it sounds like he could be made good.

He's definitely a unique unit in 3H. Unlike anyone else in the game except maybe Manuela, he doesn't have a very clearly defined class path at first. Which makes his precision-guided set of banes (I swear, they gave him those exact three banes on purpose so people wouldn't try to stick him on a wyvern lol) stand out all the more. Sniper and Grappler/War Master, on top of being amazing classes on their own, play right into Yuri's strengths as an incredibly fast, high-crit unit. I think you'll have lots of fun with him on your next playthrough 🙂

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/10/2021 at 6:19 AM, RainbowMoon said:

Making him a black magic dodge tank isn't really a good idea to begin with anyway. He doesn't have the magic growth to pull it off successfully without a crapton of stat boosters, and it means he misses out on Swift Strikes and his personal relic.

If you've never tried it, it's honestly not a bad build. Class bases bump his magic up to be not that bad (still worse than true mages, but by less than you might expect), and he gets more speed than any dedicated mage (same growth as Lysithea, but 2 more base and waaay more strength, plus his spells are lighter), and obviously way more bulk/evade/durability in general. Plus he gets Physic. He really wants either Caduceus or Thyrsus to bait and counter archers, since he's amazing at that. And for what it's worth he can still use Swift Strikes, and certainly still has more than enough strength to kill lower-bulk enemies (and cavalry with Spear of Assal). I actually liked it better than Paladin myself (which has more power but isn't as versatile), though Wyvern Lord is probably still his best build (as it is for many physical units).

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'll have to give Yuri a proper try sometime. I've tended to write him off, owing to his proficiencies limiting his class options, and to his spell lists being not so interesting. But it sounds like he could be made good.

Yuri's an odd duck, it's hard to know what to do with him. But he's definitely not bad. He does have good stats, so you can either fight his banes and put him in wyvern/bow knight(/war master I guess), or just go vanilla grappler/sniper but at least benefit from his authority boon and decent earlygame stats getting there compared to some other units.

Maybe it's because I've been using her for my current SS Maddening run, but I think Anna needs either a personal skill or supports. As it is, she's incredibly mediocre, especially with respect to her Reason bane negating her getting Bolting. Personally, I think that she should have had either her Fates personal (getting a luck% chance of getting a random amount of gold upon killing an enemy) or Spendthrift (a Merchant class skill in Fates that consumed a billion to increase damage).

Like said above, Anna really needed supports. Even if she just had one with Byleth, it would've made an improvement, but it really is just not worth using her because she does the same job that a number of other units can do (speedy sword user/thief/bow user) and has shitty boons/banes that don't give her that stand out feature to make her worth it.

Another thing to do with supports, I don't understand why Byleth couldn't just S support anyone, regardless of gender. Partially this is me being salty over the fact  M!Byleth only got Linhardt, Gilbert and Alois (Gilbert and Alois being purely platonic) in the base game, with Jeritza being an update and Yuri being locked behind dlc. Thankfully F!Byleth got significantly better options, especially with Edelgard and Rhea, being plot important characters and all. But considering they don't have to worry about kids in this game like they did with Awakening/Fates, I really don't understand why gender had to determine who Byleth was able to S support. And if they wanted to make them platonic endings, they could have, they did it with Gilbert and Alois.

My very minor change - throw away Byleth & Gilbert's existing A support, and write a completely new A support that is locked behind finishing Gilbert / Annette A+.  Byleth is supposed to be some inspirational figure that brings out the best in people, right?  Go have some happy reunited family support of Gilbert returning home or the like.  Give his wife / Annette's mom a few lines too, ideally.

Reasoning: In general, I have a lot of tolerance for support conversations occasionally being a bit weird on timing, since the game doesn't have any idea when you'll do them or in what order.   Or even what starting house / route you're on (barring those for route-locked characters like Gilbert, of course).  Most of the locked supports that frustrate people are ones where failing to do them permanently stops the support line (e.g. the various supports that need to be done pre-timeskip).  If a lock is always eventually available, and the constraint is merely making you do something else first, that is not so bad and isn't frustrating. 

Anyway, Byleth-Gilbert has the problem that Gilbert's main issue - his abandonment of his family - the game can't know if that's being resolved or not in Gilbert-Annette, or hell, if Annette is even alive.  (Yeah, go ahead and immediately kill the Byleth/Gilbert support line if Annette dies in Classic mode IMO.)  For most characters, having some quirky flaw at rank C that is then either accepted or resolved by A is fine, but Gilbert never really gets to that accepted or resolved part, which is part of why it's hard to like him.  (Maybe he does if you S-Support him?  Beats me.)  His A support with Byleth is particularly aggravating if you did get to Annette / Gilbert A+, because it almost sounds like he's backsliding then - he's still talking about how an old warhorse like him would be more trouble than it's worth to return home, Byleth is still chiding him on this, and his positive effect in teaching the local kids how to fish makes it sound more like he's decided to become a freelance fishing instructor at the Monastery rather than ever, y'know, return home to his wife and family.  I'm not demanding that every character be "fixed" to be morally perfect or anything, but I don't get the impression that the game intended to be so harsh on Gilbert as to make it seem like he was just completely hopeless.  Locking Byleth/Gilbert A behind Gilbert/Annette A+ allows the game to know that yes, the coast is clear, you can give that family a somewhat happier ending.

(Slightly off-topic, but I was reminded of this because Ys IX also has a deadbeat dad character, but one that the writing is substantially worse at pulling off than Gilbert.  Ys IX spoilers:

Spoiler

Essentially he says "oh, the villain told me I wasn't allowed to see my family as a condition of working for him", and everybody just...  accepts this as a good reason, and this was totally understandable, thanks dad, hugs time.  No!  No that is not a good reason!  Both in that it makes zero sense for the villain to even want that, and little sense for him to accept such a constraint!

Thankfully 3H recognizes that Gilbert has made poor life decisions, so it's good, but it could be better.)

Edited by SnowFire

3 hours ago, Azz said:

Thankfully F!Byleth got significantly better options, especially with Edelgard and Rhea, being plot important characters and all.

Admittedly, though, Rhea is an option on just one route. And it's kind of a weird pairing, in light of Rhea being

Spoiler

Byleth's grandma, sort of.

3 hours ago, Azz said:

And if they wanted to make them platonic endings, they could have, they did it with Gilbert and Alois.

That would be cool, but to my knowledge, no S-supports have both a "romantic" and "platonic" version. It's either/or.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Admittedly, though, Rhea is an option on just one route. And it's kind of a weird pairing, in light of Rhea being

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed. Also, Edelgard's another route-exclusive and a very divisive character on top of that. And Sothis is... yeah I'd rather not think about that one.

So that pretty much leaves Dorothea and Mercedes for female bi options who aren't route-locked.

Another DLC-related change: Hapi's budding talent in axes gets her Exhaustive Strike, when that runs of her worse strength stat. I would have swapped it out for Lightning Axe, the magic axe combat art.  

Something I've actually been thinking about since my post on increased S/Wexp is instead of increasing the rate of its gain, have multiple abilities and stat buffs you get as you spend time in a class; some you get to keep, but some are class exclusive and are lost when you switch. (Sort of like how Like A Dragon does it, really.) It'd maybe keep some of the classes more distinct from each other as well as add more options.

tl;dr have multiple levels of Class mastery.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:24 PM, Alistair said:

Another DLC-related change: Hapi's budding talent in axes gets her Exhaustive Strike, when that runs of her worse strength stat. I would have swapped it out for Lightning Axe, the magic axe combat art.  

That I agree is a head scratcher. Why would they give her the worst possible combat art in axes when they could have given her one of the better ones instead? She could have been similar to a magical Wyvern Lord like Annette. I mean Yuri gets Dead Eye which pending on your taste can be either good or bad. Constance gets Mystic Blow which if you're looking for a War Cleric build I guess can be nice. While her magic growth being at 60% is really high, her speed and dex being at 30 & 35% respectively means you better get the one shot and be safe from any other enemies afterwards. Balthus gets Black Magic Crit +10. I don't know why considering that his magic growth is 30%. Though I suppose if you want to be different with him and go like Mortal Savant since he has a boon in swords.

I agreed it fell out of place.To me it should have been Rhea hiring disposable thug to find Jeralt and Byleth to claim back her Mother Sothis Vessal. Edelgard never explained why Dimitri hate her or specified the why. To me the Those who Slither in the Dark Cornelia should have been told on Dimitri death bed at gronder. He blames Edelgard for the same reason Neji Blammed Hinata for his Father Death when she was 6. He never thought that his step mother and Edelgard mom would do this to save her daughter and Cornelia used this loophole 

Yeah the replay comes from the other route only in part 2. Hell having a Student character creation as DLC would have gave more replay value since your student house would determined where he is from and acquaintances. This at the bare minimum would offer replay value.you can’t even give Dark Seal a pass since new game + saves battalions already. Hell the student would give Byleth a personality like in FF. sure FF protag were mute but scene showed their personality.It woul have made Byleth more alive than a human puppet for Sothis.I would replay the Beginning IF there was SOMETHING to get every time that I could unlock only on a specific route but nada none zilch.

Don't make supports with your House leader missable.  Why does Claude tell Byleth that they mean the world to him but somehow Byleth can miss a support from him??  

Add some level of interactivity to some of the activities like planting, cooking & learning. As it is now, they are just really boring since you just watch stats and numbers go up or a cutscene play out without much else happening. I would like these activities to be simple minigames like fishing is. For example, sword training could have you play a minigame where you chop wood. 

6 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Add some level of interactivity to some of the activities like planting, cooking & learning. As it is now, they are just really boring since you just watch stats and numbers go up or a cutscene play out without much else happening. I would like these activities to be simple minigames like fishing is. For example, sword training could have you play a minigame where you chop wood. 

I actually liked the fishing minigame, and I think they could've done some more!

Gardening: How about you can control how long you water each seed for? More watering means more yield, and a higher chance of stat boosters - but if you overwater, you lose the benefits.

Cooking: Maybe a sequence of button presses, to represent the cooking process? Say, A three times to simulate chopping, then hold B as the food cooks. A better performance means higher boosts to stats.

Choir: Ooh - following a music sheet, tilting the control stick up for high notes and down for low notes! So it's like you're conducting your students. Better performance means higher skill rank increases.

We already have something like that in the sauna minigame.  I definitely got sick of it after the first 20 times or so.  That's one where if you're being "efficient" you will save-scum failures, too (if you're really psychotic, you'll also fish for "Very Refreshed" rather than "Refreshed" but I'm not hardcore enough to do that).  If the sauna just said "whatever here's a scene of the characters at the sauna" and had a skip animation button, that'd have been better, IMO.  The interactivity is really not worth that much.  If there was a gardening minigame and a choir minigame etc. etc. that'd make the monastery drag even more.  (Alternative: you have to do the minigame the first 5 times each playthrough, and it just happens instantly every time after that?)

The thing is I would remove them entirely since the devs can’t do it properly and it’s lose its value to replay extremely fast. What I would do is make is the student have special interaction like open level and talk to themselves and do activities beyond fetch quest. Like they have their schedule a la stardew valley. The cats and dog dlc I’d remove it completely and replace with a student character creation system a la Dynasty Warriors 8 empires as a free officer. That way the season pass is worth its full price now. It would make replay value also since we would choose Byleth a predifined path. You pick you save in a new game plus and if that save is crimson flower you go through that as the student you created. That way Byleth is now fully voiced and act on their giving them other character to bounce off from.

2 hours ago, SnowFire said:

We already have something like that in the sauna minigame.  I definitely got sick of it after the first 20 times or so.  That's one where if you're being "efficient" you will save-scum failures, too (if you're really psychotic, you'll also fish for "Very Refreshed" rather than "Refreshed" but I'm not hardcore enough to do that).  If the sauna just said "whatever here's a scene of the characters at the sauna" and had a skip animation button, that'd have been better, IMO.  The interactivity is really not worth that much.  If there was a gardening minigame and a choir minigame etc. etc. that'd make the monastery drag even more.  (Alternative: you have to do the minigame the first 5 times each playthrough, and it just happens instantly every time after that?)

Well they'd take more time, for sure, but as for "dragging"... I dunno. I find activities more engaging with a player input, than simply watching the cooking/singing scene, and hearing the same lines over again (great the first time, but tedious thereafter). I'd be game, though, for an option to turn the minigames (including fishing and sauna) off, with the caveat that doing so will either give the player "average" results every time, or results that are random between the worst and best outcomes.

I wouldn't want more minigames, since I already don't enjoy fishing, the sauna, or tea time, but one related minor change that I would like is the ability to skip the cut scene for cooking. Why they made that largely unskippable is baffling to me.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, drattakbowser said:

I want Annette paralogue in Silver Snow/Verdant Wind without Gilbert.

How would that work though? I’m guessing it would be before Gilbert dies on Silver Snow? Plus he disappears completely in Verdant Wind

59 minutes ago, Barren said:

How would that work though? I’m guessing it would be before Gilbert dies on Silver Snow? Plus he disappears completely in Verdant Wind

Maybe Annette solo paralogue. Like Lord, Hubert, Dedue, Felix, Sylvain, Lorenz and Marianne.

Edited by drattakbowser