Would Artifical Merges be a healthy resource to add into the game?

MilodicMellodi

An Artificial Merge would be a resource that adds +1 to any unit's merge count (if that wasn't obvious enough). The question I have for everyone here is would this be healthy to add to the game?

On one hand, there are a good number of units who have not been seen since their debut banner. For those people who have these units, Artificial Merges would be a great way to finally allow them to get those units to +10. Artificial Merges would also be a great answer to how IS would let Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna eventually get to +10 themselves.

On the other hand, Artificial Merges would allow a lot of people to become content with getting less copies of a unit from banners, since banes are lost on getting +1 on their merge count. It would also make people less reliant on Combat Manuals for the sake of merges for certain units (though this can be considered a positive thing as well).

In the end, one major thing that comes to mind is how much would it cost us to buy it, or if would be able to be obtainable through quests or one or more of the various game modes. Would it have a price tag equaling that of a Forma Soul, or perhaps it could be equal to a FEH Pass subscription. It could also be somewhere in between. Maybe IS could also view them as being less expensive than a FEH Pass, or — as unlikely as it would be — even more expensive than a Forma Soul.

Personally, I think a good price for an Arfifical Merge would be $15 (or the equivalent of $15 in other currencies), with a limit of 1 per month outside of quests giving it as a reward. However, it could also be a good addition for the FEH Pass itself (though with how the FEH Pass works, that means if we spent our money in the right way we'd be able to get 3 Artificial Merges for just $10).

What do you all think about this? Could it be something that could be implemented into FEH? Would it be appreciated?

Interesting. 

At first I totally was against it but the more I read your post... there's bits to it that I like. Like you said, it'd allow folks to merge the units that haven't seen another rerun of a banner (and for a bit of a win in IS's money-pockets... it'd net them extra money from essentially "useless to them" units.)

That being said I don't see IS giving them to us straight for only $15 - imagine how potent those artificial merges would be on game-breaker units like L!Chrom or Duessel or Shinon.  I feel like it'd be limited to the units that are ... retired?  or at least 2 generations behind, given how uneven the cast is in terms of popular units vs not.   Or have a steadily exponentially more expensive purchase kind of like how grails get more "expensive" the more merges you get from the grail shop.

It's possible, but I feel like it's something they'd be very cautious with. But the concerns are about the same with trait changes, and they ended up adding those eventually, so who knows. (And I've got 200 of them sitting in my inventory unused.)

Making it possible to +10 the Askr units could get awkward since it'd mean a guaranteed +10 bonus unit for most Arena/AR seasons, but that's only if they actually stay in the rotation. (And don't expand it with more units like Fjorm.)

I absolutely love this idea. I think it would be fantastic for players that need just one or two more merges on a +8 or +9 unit, but are having trouble pulling the unit they're going for (ahem, that's me with Sophia and Norne). Not only that, but it'd actually be pretty nice for the people that like to merge a unit at least once to fix any banes that they have.

I don't know how it would be obtained, but as long as it's possible for F2P players to acquire in some way, then I'd say it's a pretty solid idea.

Would be an interesting idea. Maybe a special item that adds +1 merge to the unit. And this item be like a top prize reward for a certain mode. Something like 35,000 or 40,000 points in TT? It would still remain infrequent enough for getting these that its still relatively scarce (1 per month basically) but enough where you don't feel like your getting screwed over with lack of resources.

And tieing it to a TT reward past the 20,000 mark would really help incentivize those to continue grinding the mode out instead of stopping at the 20,000 mark like alot of people do.

Another similar idea I came up with was an alternate use for trait fruits. Basically instead of just having them be used for IV changing. What about the possibility of spending 50 to simply just remove the bane from a unit? So if your only purpose of fishing for a merge is a bane removal, there is an alternative for units that are notoriously difficult to get multiple copies of like legendaries and mythics. And would be very helpful for units with god tier fodder that would be a waste using it for a merge like Igrene.

Edited by Faellin

Yeah, in the context of the Askr trio, the Arena bonus unit rotation is the sticking point here. Would there be much backlash if they were removed from the rotation in return to being allowed merges? Personally I would hate the feeling of being obliged to merge and invest in their skills if they remained in the bonus rotation, and it'd make arena team building in general less interesting.

If Kiran becomes playable I'd personally prefer mergeability at the expense of ever being a bonus unit.

9 hours ago, Faellin said:

Would be an interesting idea. Maybe a special item that adds +1 merge to the unit. And this item be like a top prize reward for a certain mode. Something like 35,000 or 40,000 points in TT? It would still remain infrequent enough for getting these that its still relatively scarce (1 per month basically) but enough where you don't feel like your getting screwed over with lack of resources.

And tieing it to a TT reward past the 20,000 mark would really help incentivize those to continue grinding the mode out instead of stopping at the 20,000 mark like alot of people do.

Another similar idea I came up with was an alternate use for trait fruits. Basically instead of just having them be used for IV changing. What about the possibility of spending 50 to simply just remove the bane from a unit? So if your only purpose of fishing for a merge is a bane removal, there is an alternative for units that are notoriously difficult to get multiple copies of like legendaries and mythics. And would be very helpful for units with god tier fodder that would be a waste using it for a merge like Igrene.

TT rewards are trivial to get. I remember when they went up to 100k and I'd still go all the way just to get all the orbs.

I think Forma Souls and Trait Fruit are a good comparison - something really limited or nonexistent in F2P availability.

25 minutes ago, Othin said:

TT rewards are trivial to get. I remember when they went up to 100k and I'd still go all the way just to get all the orbs.

I think Forma Souls and Trait Fruit are a good comparison - something really limited or nonexistent in F2P availability.

Yeah, Trait Fruits is kind of weird. The more you spend on the game, the easier it is to acquire Trait Fruits, but at the same time, you have very little need for Trait Fruits since you will most likely get the ideal Asset on one of the 11 copies that you whaled for. On the other hand, free players need it the most since they do not summon as often, but it is also harder for them to acquire.

11 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, Trait Fruits is kind of weird. The more you spend on the game, the easier it is to acquire Trait Fruits, but at the same time, you have very little need for Trait Fruits since you will most likely get the ideal Asset on one of the 11 copies that you whaled for. On the other hand, free players need it the most since they do not summon as often, but it is also harder for them to acquire.

For whales they're still useful for grail units, at least.

I, uh, completely forgot the purpose of Trait Fruits. As in, yeah, I see them being awarded all the time and I have 300-odd of them, but there's the weird void in my memory where I forgot asset changing was a thing and that Trait Fruits were a thing linked to it.

47 minutes ago, Othin said:

For whales they're still useful for grail units, at least.

Yeah, but unless you have a lot of favorites as Grail units, I am not sure they would use a lot of Grail units. A lot of summonable units just flat out have better stat distribution. DDR!M!Kris have the best stat distribution for his class, but other than him, I do not think any Grail unit is better than any summonable unit. ITM!Hana comes close, but LG!Alm has better BST scoring as a Duo unit and he has a slightly higher potential BST due to extra Flowers.

The only units that stand out would be relatively unique support units like Aversa, Iago, Kempf, and maybe TSD!Eldigan. For combat units, that would just be Kronya and Petrine, but if you got the resources for BH!Ike and BH!Lucina, I do not see the appeal of Kronya for Aether Raids and Petrine seems a bit niche as a magical Galeforce unit.

As for the artificial merges, I hope it is implemented in a way that all players have equal access to it. Otherwise it is going to be like Trait Fruits where the top paying players have the easiest time obtaining them but they do not need them very much.

Edited by XRay

21 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, but unless you have a lot of favorites as Grail units, I am not sure they would use a lot of Grail units. A lot of summonable units just flat out have better stat distribution. DDR!M!Kris have the best stat distribution for his class, but other than him, I do not think any Grail unit is better than any summonable unit. ITM!Hana comes close, but LG!Alm has better BST scoring as a Duo unit and he has a slightly higher potential BST due to extra Flowers.

The only units that stand out would be relatively unique support units like Aversa, Iago, Kempf, and maybe TSD!Eldigan. For combat units, that would just be Kronya and Petrine, but if you got the resources for BH!Ike and BH!Lucina, I do not see the appeal of Kronya for Aether Raids and Petrine seems a bit niche as a magical Galeforce unit.

As for the artificial merges, I hope it is implemented in a way that all players have equal access to it. Otherwise it is going to be like Trait Fruits where the top paying players have the easiest time obtaining them but they do not need them very much.

That's true.

Ironically, there's potentially a bit of counterbalance here. Artificial merges could mean not needing to pull as many copies of your rarest units, which would mean less certainty of getting the trait you want, which would mean more use for Trait Fruits.

9 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, in the context of the Askr trio, the Arena bonus unit rotation is the sticking point here. Would there be much backlash if they were removed from the rotation in return to being allowed merges? Personally I would hate the feeling of being obliged to merge and invest in their skills if they remained in the bonus rotation, and it'd make arena team building in general less interesting.

Reveal hidden contents

If Kiran becomes playable I'd personally prefer mergeability at the expense of ever being a bonus unit.

They really just need to give us a 3rd row of bonus units. It's past time.

Yes it would be healthy I think and I would really want it as sniping in legendary/myhtuc banners for the first merge can be really annoying. However, I can't see how they would balance it to make you spend for merges and make using them actually worth it.

Trait fruits are a sign that even if that was added the difference would be non-existent for me at least. So far I have changed only 2 traits (excluding the free present). 2 grail units used mostly for Arena don't make any difference. Same thing would apply to merges, they would be there only to fix a bane every 1 to 2 months for the non high spending, top scoring player. Yes, It can be useful but at the end of the day I really can't see how they would balance it and make it worth using. Whales, have enough copies to have easy +10s so they will be bathing in a recource that wouldn't be this useful for them. The average player will most likely be getting them at a way slower rate so the difference they would make at their barracks is not that significant. 

The biggest point that kind of balances artificial merges is the fact that they're useless if you don't have the unit you're trying to merge in the first place due to not having orbs, bad luck, or the unit not being available (looking at you, Duo Ephraim).

Edited by Roflolxp54

For context, take a look at my signature. Most of the units I've +10ed are 5* exclusive, and even those who aren't quite at +10 yet are all 5* exclusives.

So as someone who has spent a considerable amount on just getting merges on units, YES YES YES PLEASE I WANT ARTIFICIAL MERGES.

• Flaws are not pleasant to look at, so let me get rid of it without summoning the unit twice.
  • Not all units are likely to appear to me more than once, let me give them a merge.
  • A lot of the units I like fall under the above point, seasonals and legendary/mythic units and what not, and we can't even summon for them all the time, LET ME MERGE THEM.
  • +10ing units gives me satisfaction in this game, LET ME MERGE THEM.

I've been saying for a while now that there should be an item that allows you to give a merge to any unit of your choice, but of course, it shouldn't be super easy to obtain, maybe in a similar ratio to Trait Fruit.

FTR, Dragalia Lost allows you to do this. It's an item that's very rare, but not too hard to obtain even for free players.