How to make the most of Valbar?

I know armor knights are not good but I like them anyway. It is much easier to use Lukas though with Warp and Rescue as well as no desert maps. If I want to use Valbar without reclassing him are there any strategies I can use to make him as useful as possible? I will probably train more than 10 units and switch him out depending on the map. Definitely will use him in dungeons.

Edited by Quickpawmaud

8 hours ago, Quickpawmaud said:

I know armor knights are not good but I like them anyway. It is much easier to use Lukas though with Warp and Rescue as well as no desert maps. If I want to use Valbar without reclassing him are there any strategies I can use to make him as useful as possible? I will probably train more than 10 units and switch him out depending on the map. Definitely will use him in dungeons.

Skirmishes in dungeon are all played in small maps so he can probably shine there if you put him in a spot close to the enemies.

Maybe have him bait many of them on Enemy Phase so that the rest of your units can smack them on your turn.  Sounds like something a knight would do.

He's basically the only armor unit who joins Celica and he stops being useful by the time you're marching through Rigel.

In the metagame, he's just another armor unit who belongs in the front of your dungeon raids. Just mind the opposition, being poisoned can fuck you over.

Edited by Armchair General

His bases are high enough that he basically dominates anything physical up until like the beginning of Act 4, especially if you actually use him. As mentioned, give him a shield and just trade a lance to him when the situation calls for it. Mobility sucks for everyone on Celica's side from like Act 3 onwards, so he's still at a disadvantage but not by much. But he's definitely still usable if you want to.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:46 AM, Anathaco said:

His bases are high enough that he basically dominates anything physical up until like the beginning of Act 4, especially if you actually use him. As mentioned, give him a shield and just trade a lance to him when the situation calls for it. Mobility sucks for everyone on Celica's side from like Act 3 onwards, so he's still at a disadvantage but not by much. But he's definitely still usable if you want to.

I had to ditch him because of his resistance he kept dying. Conrad is a total chad and is my tank now.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:13 AM, Armchair General said:

You know that Leon can burn off most of an Arcanist's useable health, right?

Later on in Celica's route there are maps with like 20 arcanists. In the dungeon there are sometimes all arcanist fights. Valbar has 0 resistance and 0% growth.

Edited by Quickpawmaud

6 minutes ago, Quickpawmaud said:

Later on in Celica's route there are maps with like 20 arcanists. In the dungeon there are sometimes all arcanist fights. Valbar has 0 resistance and 0% growth.

Which why I said that Leon is a better choice. Just promote him and give him a decent bow, and now you've outranged most of the spells. Valbar is still relevant against the monsters and dread fighters; but he's only good against the first wave of combat, or delivering the killing blow to a mage.

5 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Which why I said that Leon is a better choice. Just promote him and give him a decent bow, and now you've outranged most of the spells. Valbar is still relevant against the monsters and dread fighters; but he's only good against the first wave of combat, or delivering the killing blow to a mage.

In that playthrough I actually ditched Leon for archer Atlas. I think Atlas was my best unit. My team was Celica, Conrad, the pegasus sisters, Boey who actually didn't suck, Saber, Jesse, Genny, Atlas. I am going to make Atlas a mercenary this time and use Leon.

Edited by Quickpawmaud

21 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Is he really that slow?. In all 3 of my Playthroughs he's been useable until the final battle of Part 5, but its possible that his Spd was heavily RNG-Blessed

1 hour ago, James Marshall said:

Is he really that slow?. In all 3 of my Playthroughs he's been useable until the final battle of Part 5, but its possible that his Spd was heavily RNG-Blessed

Armors get negative speed in this game but his issue isn't speed for me, it is resistance and movement. Conrad and the Whitewings kill everything before he can get there or a witch teleports and kills him. Celica also doesn't have warp so there is no way to fix this. I really want to use him but he just seems so bad.

Edited by Quickpawmaud

On 2/12/2021 at 6:46 AM, Quickpawmaud said:

Armors get negative speed in this game but his issue isn't speed for me, it is resistance and movement. Conrad and the Whitewings kill everything before he can get there or a witch teleports and kills him. Celica also doesn't have warp so there is no way to fix this. I really want to use him but he just seems so bad.

Like I said, Knights are only good for the first wave of contact or holding down a chokepoint. After that it's either providing rear security or constantly stopping the charge in certain dungeons.

Cavs, on the other hand,have a bit more utility with them because of their movement range. But they'll die out if you overextended.

Edited by Armchair General