Levelling up in maddening early game?

Azz

So for context I'm trying my first NG Maddening run on BL however I'm on the chapter 2 map and most of my units are still level 1 sans  Byleth (lv. 4), Dimitri, Dedue and Felix (all lv. 3). I'm making decent progress in the map with turtling with Byleth, Dimitri and Dedue (tho I have reset a few times due to units dying/running out of divine pulse) however I'm worried that my other units might start to fall behind already and I'm just wondering if I did smth wrong is distributing exp in the training auxiliary battle or if this is normal for this point and that it gets better?

Getting experience in maddening is a very slow grind. If you’re trying to spread experience for your other team members the key is to make sure you’re feeding your lower level units easy kills. If you’re only at chapter 2, it’s expected that at least half of your team are trying to catch up. If you have someone stand next to Byleth and have one of your students score a kill, they will get more experience that way.

Eventually you’ll have access to the statues where you can spend renown on increasing the exp you gain. Even then this will still take a while

Edited by Barren

As someone who has done BL Maddening 3 times, I can say that it gets better definitely as you do more auxiliary maps. Just make sure to have Annette and Mercedes (and other mages like Lysithea) to heal in order to gain HP. Units with low attack like Ingrid or Ashe should finish what others leave out. Sylvain is pretty open in terms of how you want to build him, so just make sure he gets EXP accordingly. Turtling with Byleth, Dedue, and Dimitri is fine. It's normal.

22 minutes ago, May said:

As someone who has done BL Maddening 3 times, I can say that it gets better definitely as you do more auxiliary maps. Just make sure to have Annette and Mercedes (and other mages like Lysithea) to heal in order to gain HP. Units with low attack like Ingrid or Ashe should finish what others leave out. Sylvain is pretty open in terms of how you want to build him, so just make sure he gets EXP accordingly. Turtling with Byleth, Dedue, and Dimitri is fine. It's normal.

That is true. Eventually leveling up does get a little easier. Plus there is the benefit of recruiting other units early or late pending on who they are and how you do it.

Maddening's exp is weird. You gain very little in chapters P-2, but then in chapter 3 you start to gain considerably more as enemy levels finally get "high enough". I'm usually able to get my entire team to Level 5 by the end of Chapter 3, but it does involve paying a bit of attention to who is getting kills in that chapter. I rarely worry about in earlier chapters.

6 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Maddening's exp is weird. You gain very little in chapters P-2, but then in chapter 3 you start to gain considerably more as enemy levels finally get "high enough". I'm usually able to get my entire team to Level 5 by the end of Chapter 3, but it does involve paying a bit of attention to who is getting kills in that chapter. I rarely worry about in earlier chapters.

I think that is because technically it’s the tutorial month so they force you to explore then battle then hold a seminar then do the mission battle. You would expect that on the lower difficulties but in maddening it is odd.

Just make sure your house units are ready for chapter 13. If those guys aren't leveled enough then chapter 13 is gonna be an absolute nightmare. You could even say that it'd be... maddening... 

Er... anyway... there's nothing wrong with training folk outside your house but make sure your BL boys are in tip top shape. 

2 hours ago, Marco said:

Just make sure your house units are ready for chapter 13. If those guys aren't leveled enough then chapter 13 is gonna be an absolute nightmare. You could even say that it'd be... maddening... 

Er... anyway... there's nothing wrong with training folk outside your house but make sure your BL boys are in tip top shape. 

What helps (at least in my opinion) is if you bring swordbreaker so you can have a better time with those mercenaries, thieves and assassins. Battalions with AoE are also helpful in this situation. Dancers help too. And please for your sake, make a separate save file during your run.

I suppose, for an update - I'm currently on chapter 6 and everyone is now in the level 9-11 range (I think my Byleth is like level 13 tho) and everyone (sans my few level 9s) have promoted. Thanks for all your help. Like you guys said, after chapter 2, I did see a much bigger exp growth overall (also I got better at placing units by Byleth too for more exp). Also I've done a few of the quest battles which helped get some units get a level or two to catch up if they feel behind. I'm also doing a no recruit run (sans the Ashen Wolves, faculty and Marianne) so that has helped with not leaving any BL behind exp wise (since I do intend on using them all for the most part).

Also I am well aware of chapter 13 being a pain and I've mainly been preparing them for that chapter lol. Also since I'm using DLC, I'm hoping that that chapter will be that bit easier (especially with the Chalice of Beginnings on Byleth/Dimitri).

16 hours ago, Azz said:

I suppose, for an update - I'm currently on chapter 6 and everyone is now in the level 9-11 range (I think my Byleth is like level 13 tho) and everyone (sans my few level 9s) have promoted. Thanks for all your help. Like you guys said, after chapter 2, I did see a much bigger exp growth overall (also I got better at placing units by Byleth too for more exp). Also I've done a few of the quest battles which helped get some units get a level or two to catch up if they feel behind. I'm also doing a no recruit run (sans the Ashen Wolves, faculty and Marianne) so that has helped with not leaving any BL behind exp wise (since I do intend on using them all for the most part).

Also I am well aware of chapter 13 being a pain and I've mainly been preparing them for that chapter lol. Also since I'm using DLC, I'm hoping that that chapter will be that bit easier (especially with the Chalice of Beginnings on Byleth/Dimitri).

Iirc, Maddening destroys exp gains if the target isn't 7 or 8 levels above your unit's(don't quote me on that, it's been a while). As you saw, this cannot really happen until a few chapters in. This gives the false impression that maddening exp gains are worse, when really they only are when you're trying to pass the current chapter's recommended level, for the most part.

Edited by Cysx