Is it normal for guys to feel insecure about their looks next to other guys.

♠Soul♠

you know that thing chicks do where they feel insecure when they see another prettier girl and that

Is normal to feel that way when you see more "attractive" guys? Sometimes I don't necessarily even feel they look better, but it's like society values a certain look and I feel they're "supposed" to look better, and it makes me feel insecure.

I don't think I heard many guys feel that way.

Insecurity and comparing yourself to others is a pretty normal human feeling. And guys, being humans, can feel that too. Feelings and emotions are not tied to a specific gender lol

11 minutes ago, Zanarkin said:

Insecurity and comparing yourself to others is a pretty normal human feeling. And guys, being humans, can feel that too. Feelings and emotions are not tied to a specific gender lol

yeh but they make it seem like only women are allowed to feel that way or something

42 minutes ago, the actual real soul said:

you know that thing chicks do where they feel insecure when they see another prettier girl and that

Is normal to feel that way when you see more "attractive" guys? Sometimes I don't necessarily even feel they look better, but it's like society values a certain look and I feel they're "supposed" to look better, and it makes me feel insecure.

I don't think I heard many guys feel that way.

Most people feel that way. In the age of social media where we are exposed to a purported ideal appearance on a daily basis from people who make a living off of genetically gifted aesthetics it can be hard to appreciate the beauty of real people that we actually know, and ourselves. Men in general are discouraged to speak openly about their negative emotions including insecurity. Plenty of guys say they envy my appearance because I compete in powerlifting and have more muscle mass than some. But I also started lifting because I was insecure about my unusual face, which lifting can not fix. So it's all relative. Take solace in the fact that your sentiments mirror the huge majority of the population that fall below the line that society sets for illusory beauty standards.

18 minutes ago, xigbar7 said:

Most people feel that way. In the age of social media where we are exposed to a purported ideal appearance on a daily basis from people who make a living off of genetically gifted aesthetics it can be hard to appreciate the beauty of real people that we actually know, and ourselves. Men in general are discouraged to speak openly about their negative emotions including insecurity. Plenty of guys say they envy my appearance because I compete in powerlifting and have more muscle mass than some. But I also started lifting because I was insecure about my unusual face, which lifting can not fix. So it's all relative. Take solace in the fact that your sentiments mirror the huge majority of the population that fall below the line that society sets for illusory beauty standards.

This great.

...wait, is it?

10 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

I literally heard of nobody who does this.

Do what.

1 minute ago, Hasechi said:

Everyone compare them to others to grow. That's normal

Who's growing out of this.

2 minutes ago, the actual real soul said:

yeah

I know

let me ask you " Do poor people feel insecure next to wealth people ?" I think the answer should be some do, some don't. So does your question. Don't think too much about it.

1 minute ago, Hasechi said:

let me ask you " Do poor people feel insecure next to wealth people ?" I think the answer should be some do, some don't. So does your question. Don't think too much about it.

well I don't feel insecure next to people with money but I sometimes feel insecure next to other guys that society would percieve as more attractive : D

3 hours ago, the actual real soul said:

well I don't feel insecure next to people with money but I sometimes feel insecure next to other guys that society would percieve as more attractive : D

So you had the answer 🙂 . Some people do, some people don't. Both males & females are the same.

Edited by Hasechi

3 minutes ago, the actual real soul said:

yeh but they make it seem like only women are allowed to feel that way or something

Yeh, a lot of the gendered things "they" like to say are incredibly dumb, and kinda arbitrary. That sorta feeling is fairly normal, even amongst guys.

8 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Yeh, a lot of the gendered things "they" like to say are incredibly dumb, and kinda arbitrary.

This pretty much. What is seen as manly and what emotions and feelings a man is able to express varies by culture. Its a dumb thing humans do, but unfortunately they do. Fortunately though, you don't have to pay mind to it. Assuming of course that you don't live in a fucked up place x<.

Sometimes my fat makes me feel insecure about my looks, but at this point I think there are plenty of more serious problems I'm insecure about at this point. I don't think attractive guys make me feel insecure though. I have a feeling that if I was able to put effort into looking attractive, and improve on other things, I wouldn't need to feel like the most attractive or smartest or whatever guy in the room. Then again, maybe human beings always desire something different from what they have *tries to look sagely and cynical*. No, that's not true.

While I could say, "Dude, just don't compare yourself to others, problem solved," it's not that simple. It's normal to make comparisons between yourself and other people, although whether or not the comparisons being made are positive or negative vary from person to person (in the way that you compare yourself to others, or compare separate people between themselves with you excluded from that comparison). You might make positive attributions about someone that you look up to or respect, or someone that you view as having a positive quality in a particular aspect. To give an artificial example: "This person makes for quite a fast runner but a poor swimmer, and I know that I am an excellent swimmer but lack in ground speed. We could totally work super well together on a triathlon team and cover each other's weaknesses."

Comparing your attractiveness to that of another person could also fall under the 'positive comparisons' category, or maybe even a neutral category if you're not being too hard on yourself. To give an example, one of my friends often makes comparisons between our appearances. What he is essentially telling me is that certain qualities that we each have are desired by separate individuals. Where one person may desire a partner with darker features, another person may prefer a partner to have lighter features. Anyway, negative comparisons can also be made, as is often the case. You may make the attribution that a particular quality that you possess isn't as attractive as another individual's (it could also be the reverse where you're a total narcissist and make the attribution that your qualities are better than another person's)

Every person is unique in a plethora of regards, which means that there are a whole lot more qualities that you don't even know about that can be compared. It's also entirely possible that the person you're comparing yourself to is doing the exact same thing with you. Tying back into my statement about certain people preferring certain features, the other person may see something about you and think, "Damn, if only I was like that guy over there." With that said, it reminds me this:

Spoiler

e581091c62341e63154e68acec32f44b6c36773dr1-489-425v2_hq.jpga4ad70670975b1b36188f81762c7e1cf93ef4751r1-489-472v2_hq.jpgcde50579926492c42f7c294e699a922c260acccdr1-487-429v2_hq.jpg

Which of those three... er, mindsets... that you side with is up to you.

What I'm trying to get at is that you are a unique individual with particular qualities, and any comparisons that you make between yourself and others can be used as learning opportunities to either better yourself in some regard, discover something new about yourself, or broaden your perspective on certain things. Also, keep in mind that there have probably been countless other people that have compared themselves to you, as well. Whether the comparisons were positive or negative and who made those comparisons is going to be next to impossible to figure out, but take solace in the fact that you're not alone in how you feel. I'm sure that most everyone on the planet has felt insecure about something at some point in their lives.

At the very least, I completely understand how you feel. You are more than welcome to DM me if you have anything you want to talk about, or just need someone to vent to.