Is it normal for guys to feel insecure about their looks next to other guys.

♠Soul♠

Its alright, yes I'm guy, I do make comparisons whether or not I'm too fat or if I lack abs. Generally, though, I don't usually worry about it too much since I have more pressing matters like school work and family life.  

Yes, of course. Why on Earth wouldn’t it be? There is stuff all over the internet about people comparing themselves to others. You mentioned it in the first post!

11 hours ago, the actual real soul said:

yeh but they make it seem like only women are allowed to feel that way or something

How...?

I wouldn't know; while I am a guy, a) I'm autistic (so what's "normal" in society is more difficult for me to learn), and b) when it comes to other guys, I have no idea how to judge or compare physical appearance; I can tell if someone looks absolutely hideous, and that's about it. 

So, personally, I don't make any comparisons, and when it comes to my own looks, I guess I do the basics and just hope my messy red hair, freckles and smile have a sort-of "rare and endearingly awkward" look that the right girl hopefully finds "cute". 

I suppose for me, part of it might also be that there are few frames of reference for my own looks because redheads are rare (0.5% - 2% of the population of my country). When I'm cleanshaven, I'm told that I look like Rupert Grint (the actor that played Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter films), and when I have a beard, people tell me I look like that British singer Ed Sheeran (that was even how I found out about the singer; a girl walked up to me and was like, "Did you know you look like Ed Sheeran?" and I answered, "I have no idea who that is."), and I honestly suspect that it's less that I actually look like them and more that those are the only two male redheads that people can think of.

12 hours ago, the actual real soul said:

yeh but they make it seem like only women are allowed to feel that way or something

While it's true there is a bit of a bias and such, it's nonsense.

You're allowed to feel insecure about yourself and probably a large amount of people who boast they aren't, actually are somewhere inside and are compensating for it.

That said, don't let it take over yourself as you are almost certainly less ugly and such than you think.

Edited by Samz707

Well first time posting on anything here. But yeah I consider myself quite attractive and I have a brother who looks similar but is born with macrocephalous. Born with an unusually large head. The difference is stark between how confident we feel about ourselves, and I do wish it was different for him. That said I see all the things he doesnt do to make himself feel more confident. I think having a lack of confidence in ones looks often means a lack of action to support working towards your looks. And potentially also being picked on, which ruins confidence. That said what is commonly deemed attractive isnt universal. I work towards my looks though, and what is important here is that I work towards what I deem attractive in myself. In addition, how much effort do I want to put into it? Dunno but I have my limits, I'm no bodybuilder, I just want to remain slim and have nice skin aha. I'm a hairdresser, I fully believe in supporting your facial features with your hair if your looks are what you are most concerned about. I also know a lot about various creams, and believe protection is important in protecting your skin if that matters to you. My advice is this though, dont look towards other people and just focus on what makes you feel good. If your insecure about how you look and wanting to take action then you need to research on the how and what you need to do to get there. And commit to what you feel comfortable commiting too. So much about how you look can be worked upon without surgery or anything crazy. I have recently heard of face yoga 😂😂 

I never said I considered myself ugly, but the english language confuses it's own native speakers when they apparently interpret stuff "less attractive" = "i feel ugly"... that said, it's not something that bugs nearly as much as it used to. I just always found myself to be attractive, but it wasn't until I started trying to understand society better than I felt like I didn't fit into the whole textbook tall, high cheekbones = not attractive thing.

There's just a point in my life I wanted to understand people better, and I ended up adopting alot of their ways and customs, even though I didn't naturally feel that way about certain things.