Byleth Vassal/Retrainer (Idea) ?

It's kind of hard to assign someone as a "retainer" for Byleth since I don't think they rely on anyone in particular, whereas a lot of other characters rely on them. They're the independent variable, if that makes sense. It depends on the route that the player chooses to go with.

Generally speaking though, I'd say Seteth would fit as a "retainer" in all routes but Crimson Flower.

I agree with indigoasis, Seteth would be a good retainer in all non CF routes. And in CF, I think Jeritza would make a good claim for it from his sort of obsessive nature over Byleth’s fighting as the death knight or just Byleth in general, even if it’s more of a fascination then what Hubert and Dedue have going on for Edelgard or Dimitri.

Does Alois count? I’d argue he’d want to protect Jeralt’s child, and part of his Supports with Byleth already focus on that. Seteth may also be a good pick, as others have already suggested. Catherine/Cyril too, in all non-CF routes: Rhea entrusted everything to you, so by serving you, they can keep protecting her will.